What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Maclin (2 Viewers)

Thanks for sharing. Got him cheap as my Wr3 and could be a huge bargain but I'm wary because of his injury history. Going to shop around this week.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin caught four passes for 45 yards and one touchdown in Monday night's Week 2 win over the Colts.

Maclin was targeted a game-high 11 times one week after seeing ten targets. He's clearly drawing the eye of Nick Foles, but Foles is missing his No. 1 receiver too often. Foles missed Maclin for a wide-open touchdown in Week 1, and also overshot him on Monday night in the end zone. If Foles can find his 2013 form, Maclin will flirt with high-end WR2 production as this target rate. He has another favorable matchup at home against Redskins in Week 3.

Sep 16 - 12:27 AM

If maclin can stay healthy and Foles can pick his game up a bit, should be a big year. The healthy part is a big If, but wishing i had him on more of my teams.

If maclin can stay healthy and Foles can pick his game up a bit, should be a big year. The healthy part is a big If, but wishing i had him on more of my teams.
He's probably a pretty good trade target in leagues where people pay more attention to fantasy points than anything else. Some might view last night as a bad game and he could be had.

Foles picking his game up might be a bigger question than Maclin staying healthy.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin caught eight passes for 154 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Redskins.

Maclin owners felt sick after he had an early 80-yard touchdown wiped out by a silly block in the back by Jason Kelce. But he dominated after that, making some really tough catches and continuing to show zero ill-effects from last season's ACL tear. Maclin now has a touchdown in three straight games and has been targeted at least 10 times in each of them. He'll be a strong WR2 against the 49ers in Week 4.

Sep 21 - 4:45 PM

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin caught eight passes for 154 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Redskins.

Maclin owners felt sick after he had an early 80-yard touchdown wiped out by a silly block in the back by Jason Kelce. But he dominated after that, making some really tough catches and continuing to show zero ill-effects from last season's ACL tear. Maclin now has a touchdown in three straight games and has been targeted at least 10 times in each of them. He'll be a strong WR2 against the 49ers in Week 4.

A 'strong WR2'? What does the guy have to do? He's been a WR1 so far and why should it change?

Rotoworld:

A 'strong WR2'? What does the guy have to do? He's been a WR1 so far and why should it change?
tell that to FBG's... it would seem to me that only injury is going to stop him from producing to at least what desean did last year for the eagles... i'm probably going to look to sell high if i get the right deal this week

Rotoworld:

He's almost been THE wr1 so far.

So far a big payoff. Basically went all in on him in that offense. Traded for him in both my dynasties. Got him so freaking cheap. Took him as my WR3/flex in my $$ league in the 7th. Feels good starting Dez, Julio, Maclin.

Stealing this from my timeline.

DJax's first 3 full games with Foles in 2013: 15 catches, 294 yards, 4 TD
Maclin's first 3 full games with Foles in 2014: 16 catches, 296 yards, 3 TD

Oh, and Maclin could have had an even bigger game against Washington. Had an 80 yard screen TD wiped out by a penalty. Ended up as a 40 yard catch. Then Foles missed him on what would have been a 75 yard TD. So that's 115 yards and 2 TD's he should have had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maclin never has had over 70 catches and never had 1000 yards in a season, highly over rated player who has not lived up to the hype. Major knee injury and all off a sudden he is #1 WR quality? The hype will get out of hand now, but he is what he is regardless of the targets.
Neither had Wayne at 25 and he had Peyton Manning.
Wayne never had the knee blowout, had better hands and better speed and better route running at that age.

Don't get me wrong, i like Maclin a lot and always wished he would become a Reggie Wayne type player but I don't think he is that guy.
:popcorn:

Awful Waffle said:

Oh, and Maclin could have had an even bigger game against Washington. Had an 80 yard screen TD wiped out by a penalty. Ended up as a 40 yard catch. Then Foles missed him on what would have been a 75 yard TD. So that's 115 yards and 2 TD's he should have had.
but..but....but...but DJax is an elite #1 WR that is so hard to find, the Eagles will never replace him and are the biggest idiots ever for cutting him.

Foles has missed an open maclin deep at least once a game this season due to innacurate passes.... but i'm loving the 10, 11, 10 targets he's gotten so far... i'd imagine they arent going to be behind every week and once they get some O-line pieces back they should start running more often and more effectively which could cut in to production

it seems very apparent as long as he stays on the field he will be able to match D Jax's 2013 production with foles in this offense.... anyone gotten any good offers for maclin this week? best i got was rashad jennings

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone gotten any good offers for maclin this week? best i got was rashad jennings
Why would you be shopping/trading him? He's on pace for 85/1600/16 and until now there's no good reason for him to slow down.
I guess some don't realize the time to buy low has passed.
Or the time to sell high is now.

Which I dont agree with on Maclin necessarily, but he is sitting as the #2 and #5 WR in my respective leagues, and I think anyone who is reasonable realizes he wont continue at quite this rate. Then there are the injury concerns as well.

Like I said earlier with the Jennings mention, Id trade Maclin for him. I wouldnt be shopping Maclin right now, but my eyes and ears would be open for trades.

anyone gotten any good offers for maclin this week? best i got was rashad jennings
Why would you be shopping/trading him? He's on pace for 85/1600/16 and until now there's no good reason for him to slow down.
I guess some don't realize the time to buy low has passed.
Or the time to sell high is now.

Which I dont agree with on Maclin necessarily, but he is sitting as the #2 and #5 WR in my respective leagues, and I think anyone who is reasonable realizes he wont continue at quite this rate. Then there are the injury concerns as well.

Like I said earlier with the Jennings mention, Id trade Maclin for him. I wouldnt be shopping Maclin right now, but my eyes and ears would be open for trades.
I'm the opposite I guess. If I needed a RB I'd definitely be looking for something better than Jennings. And while it is feasible that he won't produce as he has weekly, he's also the #1 WR on an offense that is going to put up #s. He's easily top 10 barring any injury this year. And speaking of injury, what concerns are there? He seems to be healed, and he hasn't had a history of injuries to my knowledge. Last year was just random.

He has a decent sized list of injuries, not gonna look it up right now but Im sure someone else will, and thats not even including the mystery illness from a couple years ago that was lymphoma/leukemia/who knows what.

He has a decent sized list of injuries, not gonna look it up right now but Im sure someone else will, and thats not even including the mystery illness from a couple years ago that was lymphoma/leukemia/who knows what.
Fair enough. I should have added "to my knowledge" to my statement.

Pretty extensive. This site's algorithm has him pegged as a low injury risk however. I have no idea how they come to their conclusions tbh.

Pretty extensive. This site's algorithm has him pegged as a low injury risk however. I have no idea how they come to their conclusions tbh.
Maclin has had such a bad injury rap since he would miss a few games a season for relatively minor things (shoulder, hip, hamstring). The ACL was his only big one in the NFL.

Of course your entire roster can dictate things, but in a vacuum if I had Maclin Id definitely trade him for Jennings straight up.
You have got to be kidding Maclin>>>>>>>>Jennings. I would take it as an insult if offered.

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects the Eagles to sign Jeremy Maclin to a contract extension at some point during the season.

Maclin signed a one-year, $5.5 million deal back in February. The Eagles don't typically sign players to in-season extensions, but the sides reportedly have mutual interest in getting a long-term deal done. Maclin currently leads the team with 16 catches, 296 yards, and three touchdowns over the first three games. He's shown no ill-effects from last season's ACL tear.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Sep 27 - 4:38 PM

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Of course your entire roster can dictate things, but in a vacuum if I had Maclin Id definitely trade him for Jennings straight up.
You have got to be kidding Maclin>>>>>>>>Jennings. I would take it as an insult if offered.
I would much rather have middling rb1 over a low end wr1

Billy Ball Thorton said:
I would much rather have middling rb1 over a low end wr1
This might be a case of redraft vs. dynasty. IN redraft, I would think the players are comparable. In dynasty, I'd easily take Maclin expecting more long term stability. Jennings is the man in NY right now, but he's JAG, and is highly likel;y to lose his starting gig as soon as next year.

Love this play:

All-22: Maclin Gets Loose On Jailbreak Screen
In Chip Kelly’s first game as an NFL head coach against Jim Haslett and Washington last season, he used a look in the second quarter that we would see pretty much on a weekly basis throughout the year.

It featured stacked receivers to both sides and a single back.

The quarterback's job was to assess the defense, gauge how many players were in the box and either hand it off or throw a screen to the perimeter.
The Eagles used this same look and this same play often.

But on Sunday against Washington, they unveiled a wrinkle out of the exact same look: a jailbreak screen.

The pre-snap look is similar, but with tighter splits.
Washington is in man coverage with a single high safety.

After the snap, the wrinkle reveals itself.

The key here is the action taken by the offensive line. In the packaged play shown at the top, the offensive line blocks for the inside zone. If the quarterback decides to pull the ball and throw the screen, that's his decision. But the blocking doesn't change.

On this play, however, it does. This isn't a packaged play. It's a designed jailbreak screen all the way. Kelly had said earlier in the season that he wanted to get Jeremy Maclin the ball in space so he could run with it.

"I know that's a quality [he has], I remember the highlights of him in college, I think he led the nation in punt returns in college," Kelly said. "You're still seeing that aspect of his game that we haven't brought out yet."

This play was one way to get Maclin the ball immediately and let him do work. He took one step forward with his left foot and then brought it back as he turned for the football.

You can see Riley Cooper's block at the line of scrimmage is crucial. But also take a look at what this play requires from left tackle Jason Peters. He has to get from his initial spot at left tackle to cornerback David Amerson before Maclin can really take off.

And that's exactly what happens. Not a lot of guys have the athleticism to get this done.

There were three key blocks that let the play get started: one from Cooper, one from Peters and the other from left guard Dennis Kelly.
"I had [Jason] Hatcher on me, and when I went to get free, he kind of read it so I had to peel back because obviously you want to get the play started," said Dennis Kelly. "And so I just got enough of him to keep Mac having momentum, get him running. Obviously I’m not nearly as fast as [Jason] Kelce so I was more of a spectator at that point, just watching it all go down. Seeing Jason run down the field is impressive and shows how good he is."

You can see Kelce (No. 62) out in front.

Maclin, meanwhile, ends up bending the play back towards the sideline.

"I think if I’d have gone either way, I would have had a chance to score," Maclin said. "But obviously on most screen passes, you want to hit it up the alley and then get to the sideline. That’s how most screen passes are designed unless it’s a tunnel screen coming inside. That’s what I ended up doing with it."

As we all know, Kelce hustled downfield but ended up getting called for an illegal block in the back against safety Ryan Clark. An 80-yard touchdown turned into a 50-yard gain.

"I know Kelce can move," Maclin said. "The object of the line is to get out in front and pick off guys for me. That was a vet move by Clark there. He kind of turned his back at the last second. I think you can make an argument for either way whether it’s a good block or a block in the back. But Kelce can definitely run."

The Eagles will probably show the double stacks look throughout the season. In addition to the packaged play, defenses will now have to be ready for the jailbreak screen as well.

"We’re just always coming up with ways to be creative and be effective at the same time," Maclin said. "We know that we run that formation so we’re gonna use multiple plays out of it. We can run the ball, throw the ball, screen game. Anything we do in this offense we can do out of that set as well."

Added Dennis Kelly: "It’s another thing teams have to prepare for. You show ‘em a look and you might run two plays out of it. But if you add just a little wrinkle, they have to prepare for it. That’s taking time from their practice and their game-planning."
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/09/24/22-maclin-gets-loose-jailbreak-screen/#jpOXThKekC2TLzD8.99

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin had one catch and 11 yards taken away on a stat correction following Sunday's Week 4 loss at San Francisco.

Maclin was originally credited with five catches for 68 yards, but officially ended up with four catches for 57 yards. His 16-game pace now equates to 80 catches, 1,412 yards and 12 touchdowns. Maclin is second in the NFL in targets with 46, trailing only Jordy Nelson (49).

Oct 2 - 11:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin caught five passes for 76 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's Week 5 win over the Rams.

Maclin was targeted 11 times, the fourth time he's had 11 or more targets in five games this year. Nick Foles was not sharp at all, but was able to take advantage when the Rams blew a coverage and left Maclin literally wide open for a 24-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Operating as a massive part of this pass game, Maclin will be a no-doubt WR1 despite a reasonably tough matchup with the Giants in Week 6.

Oct 5 - 5:13 PM

Anything to worry about from yesterday? I didn't see the game. Was his lack of targets related to the Giants scheming his way or something else?

Anything to worry about from yesterday? I didn't see the game. Was his lack of targets related to the Giants scheming his way or something else?
Once again Foles got picked throwing to him. Defender jumped right in front of him. I'd worry that the coaches are realizing how soft this guy is. If he's not wide open, he's not catching it. Foles had 2 interceptions last year and 7 already this year. Every time I watch the Eagles, Foles gets picked throwing to him.

That game last night can largely be considered an outlier in just about every sense. I think it literally ended after Cruz tore his patellor tendon in the 3rd. Hell, I don't even think the refs were paying attention.

They didn't need to go to him since it was a blow out. Eagles tried to work the clock from the 3rd quarter on. No need for Maclin last night.

This guy must be the best receiver in the league that nobody ever talks about. Guy catches 12 passes for 187 yards and 2 TD's, and there's hardly a peep in the Shark Pool. Heck, when I googled his name today, the top results that came up in the news section weren't about his production, but how he knocked over all the gatorade on the Cardinals sideline during a return :lol:

This guy must be the best receiver in the league that nobody ever talks about. Guy catches 12 passes for 187 yards and 2 TD's, and there's hardly a peep in the Shark Pool. Heck, when I googled his name today, the top results that came up in the news section weren't about his production, but how he knocked over all the gatorade on the Cardinals sideline during a return :lol:
I agree. I have him in pretty much every league this year and he's been awesome outside of a week or two. He's getting so many targets and would have even better numbers if Foles could hit him deep. It was nice to see the deep ball connection this week. Maybe it's a sign of more to come.

I agree. I have him in pretty much every league this year and he's been awesome outside of a week or two. He's getting so many targets and would have even better numbers if Foles could hit him deep. It was nice to see the deep ball connection this week. Maybe it's a sign of more to come.
Yeah - Good to see Foles can make that throw once in a while and see how amazing the results can be when he does. He's been very inaccurate on his deep throws this year, I can't count how many times I've watched him whiff on a wide open Maclin. If Foles can do this more consistently and Maclin can stay healthy, Maclin's a lock for a top 5 finish imo.

A friend and I were lamenting before Sunday's games kicked off on how we gave up on Maclin the year he finally put it all together. I've had Maclin rostered every possible year up until this one. I still go back and read the OP thinking "FUUUU 2012 me knew what was up.". Even though I don't own him, I'm glad to see him healthy and doing well.

Have always liked him but kind of gave up also. I grabbed him in one league but didn't really target him in my others. I'd look smart but he fell several rounds to the point where i was just lucky noone took him before me.

I also seem to have him on my team every year up until this one, and of course I faced him yesterday on the last placed team in my league and I started Foles, so I kept yelling ... "Throw it to anyone but Maclin all day at the TV. That worked out well. Any other day I would have been a happy Foles owner, LOL. I honestly feel good for Maclin too in spite of him destroying my team yesterday and getting my ### kicked by a 1-6 team. Well I do have Murray and Williams left tonight but gonna need 38 points to right the ship. I'll keep everyone posted.

Tough SOB he is for surviving that hit and blood coming out of his ear. I thought he was done after that hit.

How is he being valued in dynasty? No guarantee (far from it) that he's back in PHI next year, which makes him risky.
It's not where it should be. Just turned 26, high powered offense, pedigree and is finally blowing up. He should be valued as a borderline WR1 and his market value is somewhere in the low end WR2 to mid WR3.

Obviously the result of a mix of injury history and the unknown considering his contract.

Although I don't see any way the Eagles can let him walk. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't signed to an extension. Hasn't there been talk of that?

Users who are viewing this thread