What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

FUBAR said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Houston or LA signed him as a hail mary.  They shouldn't, but it shouldn't be a shock.
Houston was a playoff team with Brian Hoyer at QB. With that Defense and possibly a running game, Peyton could make them a contender for another run. It's a similar fit to what Peyton had in Denver TBH. Houston would be very smart to sign Peyton, however I do think Peyton's best bet is to retire on top.

Houston was a playoff team with Brian Hoyer at QB. With that Defense and possibly a running game, Peyton could make them a contender for another run. It's a similar fit to what Peyton had in Denver TBH. Houston would be very smart to sign Peyton, however I do think Peyton's best bet is to retire on top.
I think what we may be forgetting is how horrific Manning was before getting injured once again: 7 TDs against 18 INTs. He didn't exactly play all that well during the playoff run either.

Hoyer was a better QB last year than Manning. Peyton was terrible. 

I think what we may be forgetting is how horrific Manning was before getting injured once again: 7 TDs against 18 INTs. He didn't exactly play all that well during the playoff run either.
He was injured while he was playing... he injured himself in July... It's partially to blame for those numbers.

Please don't do it, Peyton. You can go out on top like Elway did. The signs are all there. You're days as an elite quarterback are over. No one wants to see you out there as the 27th best QB. It would be like watching Willie Mays in his last year with the Mets. Or Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. No one wants to see that.

He was injured while he was playing... he injured himself in July... It's partially to blame for those numbers.
The last 2 years he has been plagued by injuries. He was horrible the last 8 or so games in 2014 and 2015 was a train wreck for him. He is going to be 40 years old, he doesn't pass the eye test at all. I would argue that at this moment right now Hoyer is a better quarterback than Manning. The only way I would sign Manning is if he agreed to be a back up, which he won't, or if I was a team that has no chance of winning and has a young qb that needs a year of sitting and they need a stop gap at qb. 

I could see the rams signing him to sell more tickets

Its over peyton. You have nothing left to prove
He's said he doesn't want to have to start over.  Essentially the only way I see this playing out with him being a QB next year is that the Broncos cut him, can't sign Brock or land another FA QB, and end up offering Manning an opportunity to come back.  I don't think he'll go anywhere else.

He's said he doesn't want to have to start over.  Essentially the only way I see this playing out with him being a QB next year is that the Broncos cut him, can't sign Brock or land another FA QB, and end up offering Manning an opportunity to come back.  I don't think he'll go anywhere else.
God, I would love that. 

I'd be OK with it if the reason they couldn't sign Brock was because they signed Malik Jackson.  I wouldn't be happy, but I'd be OK with it.

Here's a situation i'd bring Manning in: sign him for maybe $5m/ year.  Bring him in as a back-up player/QB coach.  His job is to help the OC game-plan and tutor a young QB, but be ready to come off the bench if necessary.

I could see value there for a team like Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee...hell, Indy.

moleculo said:
Here's a situation i'd bring Manning in: sign him for maybe $5m/ year.  Bring him in as a back-up player/QB coach.  His job is to help the OC game-plan and tutor a young QB, but be ready to come off the bench if necessary.

I could see value there for a team like Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee...hell, Indy.
Wouldn't Denver be even better?

moleculo said:

I dont see Manning being willing to do that.

Crazy idea, probably not going to happen, but just a thought.

The Broncos don't really know what they have in Brock yet, and Peyton clearly has fire left in his belly although everyone is unsure what he has left physically. Peyton cares more about leaving with no regrets rather than money at this point, and he's clearly weighing which he'd regret more 1) Not playing in 2016 or 2) Ending his career in an unpredictable way vs. a Super Bowl win. He's having a tough time imagining being happy next year if he's at home and not playing or being with his team mates doiong everything in his power to defend the title with them. 

Why not take a big pay cut (down to $4-5m) as a player/coach with no guarantee to start, but a promise to compete and let the QB who gives them the best chance to win start. At worst, he can help groom Brock into getting ready to make his debut while being ready himself to step up in case he falters or gets hurt while being around the team. No one would fault him for taking a back seat to the team and he'll have an opportunity to prove to himself once and for all what he has left in the tank. As far as his Legacy is concerned, I don't think that would hurt it at all. If anything it shows how much of a team player he truly is.

How awesome is this year's retirement class?  

Looking forward to watching Peyton and Woodson enter the hall together in a few years.  

And for sanity's sake, please let Peyton and his fans have a day to celebrate and let's not all get argumentative about his place in history. I have already seen several articles and video blurbs reviewing his career. Today is not the day to argue with people. I personally could care less about anything he did off the field. Truly one of the great QBs of all time. The league won't be the same without him.  

Congratulations to Peyton Manning on a great career and the rare opportunity to go out on top.   The career records,  the superbowl wins, revolutionizing the way the game and the position is played, the tremendous comeback from career threatening neck surgeries, winning titles with multiple teams, setting the td record once then resetting it again with probably the best season in nfl history, and maybe the greatest rivalry in all of sports history.   Just an incredible career and you will be missed.   

And for sanity's sake, please let Peyton and his fans have a day to celebrate and let's not all get argumentative about his place in history. I have already seen several articles and video blurbs reviewing his career. Today is not the day to argue with people. I personally could care less about anything he did off the field. Truly one of the great QBs of all time. The league won't be the same without him.  
:shrug:   it's sports.   people are going to try and quantify / qualify his legacy.

agreed though, when we look back at these past twenty years, Peyton will be one of the top stories and players.  Maybe the best, certainly in the conversation.

I got a good chuckle out of Peter King's column this morning.  As usual he is stuck to Brady's **** like a remora to a shark.  His Manning tribute is really nothing more than an article about how this will emotionally impact Tom Brady. 

In other news King noted the passing of Nancy Reagan effected Tom Brady, and he commented on the Brady Price Index having risen, lessening the buying power of Tom Brady's dollars.  His Brady weather forecast has yet to be issued.

How can King not recognize that he's losing respectability every time he does his Patriot butt kissing?  He's supposed to be a national figure, not a Boston cronie. He's starting to sound as unbiased as Bill Simmons 

It's been an absolute amazing run for the past 4 years (speaking selfishly as a Bronco fan).  Manning singlehandedly cured the Broncos of Tebow-mania, made the team consistently great (never worse than #2 seed), and brought us to the promised land.  He brought a completely different air of professionalism and accountability to the team. 

I'm absolutely thrilled he chose Denver 4 years ago, and that the Broncos were able to reward his decision with a Lombardi.

It's been an absolute amazing run for the past 4 years (speaking selfishly as a Bronco fan).  Manning singlehandedly cured the Broncos of Tebow-mania, made the team consistently great (never worse than #2 seed), and brought us to the promised land.  He brought a completely different air of professionalism and accountability to the team. 

I'm absolutely thrilled he chose Denver 4 years ago, and that the Broncos were able to reward his decision with a Lombardi.
As a Broncos fan, you're obviously happy right now.  Do you think it was worth it, overall (4 seasons...one title...state of the team as he departs)? 

Have you seen enough to have confidence in Osweiler?  IS the team overall built well for life without Manning?

As a Broncos fan, you're obviously happy right now.  Do you think it was worth it, overall (4 seasons...one title...state of the team as he departs)? 

Have you seen enough to have confidence in Osweiler?  IS the team overall built well for life without Manning?
My opinion:  3 AFC Championship games, 2 SB appearances, 1 Lombardi, a couple of HUGE offensive seasons including one of record breaking proportions...any team would kill for that line.  I can't even imagine anyone not being thrilled with the way things played out.  Do you think it's time for Brady to go so you can start the Garroppolo era? Or, are you willing to let Brady finish out the string in the hopes he has just a little more magic left?

It's not like Manning stayed for one year and bollixed up the team any so yeah, who wouldn't be satisfied with the outcome?

Yes on all counts.  Remember where we were before Manning - the Tebow billboards and all that silliness.  Granted, I was on the Tebow bandwagon at the time, but my enthusiasm was tempered on the hope he could improve.  Regardless, what did we really expect in 2012 and beyond?

As far as where we are now - the Broncos wpn a Superbowl with a coach in the first year of an offense rebuild and a young, mostly returning defense.  There is no reason to think the arrow doesn't continue to point up, regardless of QB.

My opinion:  3 AFC Championship games, 2 SB appearances, 1 Lombardi, a couple of HUGE offensive seasons including one of record breaking proportions...any team would kill for that line.  I can't even imagine anyone not being thrilled with the way things played out.  Do you think it's time for Brady to go so you can start the Garroppolo era? Or, are you willing to let Brady finish out the string in the hopes he has just a little more magic left?

It's not like Manning stayed for one year and bollixed up the team any so yeah, who wouldn't be satisfied with the outcome?
My question didn't have anything to do with Brady.  Just wondering how people who are known to be true fans to the Broncos feel now as the transition begins.  No more or less.  It is just interesting to me because a lot of times you see major "all in" moves by teams in lots of sports and they never pan out and more often than not it leaves the teams digging out of a hole for a long time.  So I was interested to get the thoughts from a case when it did pan out.

Was using Brady as a comp for the situation.  Four stellar team seasons and a couple of outstanding personal seasons should leave little room for complaint from any fan of any team, imo.

But, as I am not a Bronco fan I'll back away and wait for them to answer your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question didn't have anything to do with Brady.  Just wondering how people who are known to be true fans to the Broncos feel now as the transition begins.  No more or less.  It is just interesting to me because a lot of times you see major "all in" moves by teams in lots of sports and they never pan out and more often than not it leaves the teams digging out of a hole for a long time.  So I was interested to get the thoughts from a case when it did pan out.
The great thing is there was never really made a sacrifice of the future for what we got.  The timing was perfect.  We have to sign Von and Manning rides off into the sunset so there are really no changes to the cap.  As for Brock, that's yet to be seen.  I will say he had a pretty good run as the starter for 7 games but the defense was out of this world so who knows.  For the first 7 starts of a career, he's not off to a bad start.

IMO, the credit goes to John Elway.  Yes, it was an "all in " move, but it was structured such that the Broncos could back out with minimal impact at any time.   Manning's release at any point his whole contract would only cost $2.5m in dead money.  His contract overall was not far out of line from other good QBs.  

It was "all in" as far as building an offense around him, but there are few NFL players worth scrapping what you do for one guy...PFM is one of those guys and it was worth every little bit (until it wasn't, of course).

Manning's retirement does not leave the Broncos on a big hole, IMO.  I don't know if Brock will re-sign or if they have to get someone else, it really doesn't matter.  This team just won the Superbowl with some of the worst QB play in the league, so I feel good about it either way.

Agree with Moleculo - this was a masterstroke by Elway. On a personal level building a relationship with Manning and professional as a GM in the structure and the effect on the franchise long term. John has continued to build on the foundation that Pat Bowlen started - the best team in the NFL since Bowlen took over. It looks like we can trust that to continue and hence all Bronco fans look at things optimistically. However....When Elway left the field as a fan there was no doubt the franchise would change but Shannahan was in his prime and we had TD. I thought the transition could be handled and the Broncos could remain a factor. Sadly Shannahan went to Griese and a stupid interception ended our hopes for the transition. So being fine with where this transition leaves the Broncos can be fleeting.

But I am real happy with the Defense - and it needs to be kept intact as long as possible to work through this next chapter. Which leaves Brock - who honestly is a step above average IMO- he'll be a better option than 2015 Peyton. And in a couple of years with experience could be a decent fixture at QB. I'm not expecting an Aaron Rodgers replacement level however. So this new offer looks about right to continue. I wouldn't be surprised if another team would take a run at him and if it's all about the money - he'll be better off elsewhere. But if he thinks about it  he can drive a team that has the pieces in place to compete for a title again. The real question for Bronco fans heading into next season is what happens to our mindset if Brock leaves - not that Peyton is leaving.

Agree with Moleculo - this was a masterstroke by Elway. On a personal level building a relationship with Manning and professional as a GM in the structure and the effect on the franchise long term. John has continued to build on the foundation that Pat Bowlen started - the best team in the NFL since Bowlen took over. It looks like we can trust that to continue and hence all Bronco fans look at things optimistically. However....When Elway left the field as a fan there was no doubt the franchise would change but Shannahan was in his prime and we had TD. I thought the transition could be handled and the Broncos could remain a factor. Sadly Shannahan went to Griese and a stupid interception ended our hopes for the transition. So being fine with where this transition leaves the Broncos can be fleeting.
Griese could have been good enough with an uninjured TD, IMHO. But that was not to be

IMO, the credit goes to John Elway.  Yes, it was an "all in " move, but it was structured such that the Broncos could back out with minimal impact at any time.   Manning's release at any point his whole contract would only cost $2.5m in dead money.  His contract overall was not far out of line from other good QBs.  

It was "all in" as far as building an offense around him, but there are few NFL players worth scrapping what you do for one guy...PFM is one of those guys and it was worth every little bit (until it wasn't, of course).

Manning's retirement does not leave the Broncos on a big hole, IMO.  I don't know if Brock will re-sign or if they have to get someone else, it really doesn't matter.  This team just won the Superbowl with some of the worst QB play in the league, so I feel good about it either way.
Good mention of Elway there.  Probably not many guys that would have understood walking in those shoes as Manning was the way Elway did as he lived a similar situation himself near the end. 

I don't know the answer off the top of my head but it doesn't sound like the Broncos are any worse for wear regarding where this leaves them with the cap.  I can't think of any major sacrifices they made with personnel along the way, although they seem to have gotten lucky in that they didn't ever have to tie up big money to Miller any earlier, got Ware at the perfect time, and CJ Anderson was a great, CHEAP replacement when Ball didn't work out (and Moreno was perfect that one year). 

All in all, it seems like the stars really aligned on this one. I suppose someone could make the case that it hinders what we know about Osweiler at this point and then give some consideration to what this means now that this team pretty much hasn't really 100% run their own offense for four years as they pretty much handed over the keys to Peyton.  But that is ancient history in the shadow of a championship. Pretty hard to argue that it wasn't worth it, IMO.  I think had they won that SB against Seattle, it would have likely have been so impactful that it would have changed the way teams do business in the front office.   

Bubby was the better choice - that move by Shannahan tore the locker room apart - especially at the late stage of training camp.
It's always tempting to go with youth, though, and It's not as if Bubby went elsewhere and had a Rich Gannon like career resurgence so Shanahanigan might have had a point.

:confused:   he answered, but why is this even a question? 

Users who are viewing this thread