What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

Has any Fantasy QB been less-owned the season he made the Super Bowl than Peyton? I cut him as the 3rd QB in like week 8. By the end of the season, I can't imagine he was owned in half of leagues, maybe as low as 20%.

If he wins, he's gotta be the least-owned winning SB QB ever.
I suspect Tom Brady in 2001 would be on the list. While the team started winning when he came in, he didn't exactly light it up (18 touchdowns in 14+ games). I suspect he wasn't on a lot of teams.

Anyone see a scenario where Kubiak pulls Peyton in the middle of a fourth quarter drive (depending on score) so that he can be acknowledged by the crowd in what is most likely his final game?

Personally, I'd love to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see a scenario where Kubiak pulls Peyton in the middle of a fourth quarter drive (depending on score) so that he can be acknowledged by the crowd in what is most likely his final game?

Yea if the Broncos are up by 20+.

Insein said:
JuniorNB said:

Yea if the Broncos are up by 20+.
I could see it if they're down 20 also

cstu said:
Has any Super Bowl had a worse regular season QB rating than Peyton's 67.9?
Vince Ferragamo ('79 Rams -- 49.0 passer rating)

David Woodley ('82 Dolphins -- 63.5 passer rating)

Tony Eason ('85 Patriots -- 67.5 passer rating)

Terry Bradshaw and Joe Gilliam were both below average for the '74 Steelers (55.2 and 55.4 passer ratings)

I really thought Peyton was done this year, and he clearly was. But im glad he got another ring.

Crazy to win it all after such a year. 13 completions in the SB, 143 yds, 0TD, 1INT, and walks off a champion.
12 completions, 123 yards, 0 TD 1 INT. (Elway 1997).
Eerily similar. Amazing the difference an elite offensive line and HOF RB can make (TD is a HOFer in my book, voters be damned).

Either way, both Elway and Manning were simply along for the ride in these respective Super Bowls, and neither would claim otherwise.

If he would drink some Zombie Dust Pale Ale it would have been a lot cooler. At first I thought he was kinda making fun of himself for endorsing everything under the sun but he should have just thrown in after the budweiser plug that he would have to drive to Papa Johns in his Chevy Malibu first.

Crazy to win it all after such a year. 13 completions in the SB, 143 yds, 0TD, 1INT, and walks off a champion.
This season is a great example of why wins and losses shouldn't be considered a QB statistic. They won't say it because he's been so great, but Manning was no different than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson during those SB runs. Great way to go out, though.

This season is a great example of why wins and losses shouldn't be considered a QB statistic. They won't say it because he's been so great, but Manning was no different than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson during those SB runs. Great way to go out, though.
Or Tom Brady for his first two wins

Brady threw for 350 yds and 3 TDs in his 2nd superbowl and was MVP. Not sure that's quite the same.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Brady threw for 350 yds and 3 TDs in his 2nd superbowl and was MVP. Not sure that's quite the same.
SB runs includes more than just one game.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
So a guy who was top 10 in yards, TDs, passer rating in the regular season and had one of the best Super Bowl games of all time. That's who you're throwing in the worst Super Bowl winning QBs of all time list? I guess that's your opinion. I just don't happen to share it.

Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Also, you would think teams would finally start to see you don't need an elite QB. It's easier to get a quality rb and solid defense than find the next Brady or Manning.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
So a guy who was top 10 in yards, TDs, passer rating in the regular season and had one of the best Super Bowl games of all time. That's who you're throwing in the worst Super Bowl winning QBs of all time list? I guess that's your opinion. I just don't happen to share it.
They were six different games.

In his first Super Bowl Brady was a pure game manager who did just enough not to lose. Of course that is exactly what he should have been and good for him for not losing.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Top 10? That's a pretty low bar. There are only 32 starting jobs. Top 10 means you're good, doesn't mean you're a primary reason for team victories.

dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Certainly he wasn't the elite QB he later became for that first one Pats won 3 in 4 years and then he went 10ish years without one (and barely won that one), despite probably being a better QB than he was during that 3 for 4 stretch. Elway wasn't nearly as great during his 2 SB years as he was the decade or so before where he won zero. But people consider him greater because of those 2 rings.

IMO, people place way too much on wins and rings when defining a guy's legacy. It's a team game, and each championship requires a fair amount of luck.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Top 10? That's a pretty low bar. There are only 32 starting jobs. Top 10 means you're good, doesn't mean you're a primary reason for team victories.
The only guys who were top 10 in all 3 categories this year were:

Palmer

Brady

Brees

Stafford

I assume you're trolling, but it's getting sort of ridiculous.

dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Peyton's career SB passer rating (4 games): 77.4

Brady's career SB passer rating (6 games): 95.3

They both perform just as good, said no one ever. :P

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/super-bowl/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/super-bowl/

P.S. Trent Dilfer's career SB passer rating: 80.9 :pickle:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00/super-bowl/

Peyton has to retire. He has to know he was extremely fortunate to be able to get a chance to leave the game on a high note. He did not win any games for Denver this year. That D was the reason for the success all season. It is painful to watch the great Peyton Manning look terrible week after week.

Now you can return to the Peyton vs. Brady argument (that will never end).

This may have been discussed already, but I'm curious: does Peyton go into the Hall as a Colt or as a Bronco?
There's no doubt he goes in with the Colts. Sure he had a great 2013, but he had pretty close times in Indy plus a title where he was still elite and quite a few more years.

This may have been discussed already, but I'm curious: does Peyton go into the Hall as a Colt or as a Bronco?
There's no doubt he goes in with the Colts. Sure he had a great 2013, but he had pretty close times in Indy plus a title where he was still elite and quite a few more years.
I don't think it matters in football as much as baseball. Both teams will show at his inauguration.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
The only guys who were top 10 in all 3 categories this year were:

Palmer

Brady

Brees

Stafford

I assume you're trolling, but it's getting sort of ridiculous.
He was 6th, 10th, and 10th in the categories you self selected. He didn't start carrying that team until later.

ETA: And Stafford is a prime example. He's decent, good even. But he's hardly carrying his team to victory. You can win with him, but he's not why you win.

Peyton has to retire. He has to know he was extremely fortunate to be able to get a chance to leave the game on a high note. He did not win any games for Denver this year. That D was the reason for the success all season. It is painful to watch the great Peyton Manning look terrible week after week.

Now you can return to the Peyton vs. Brady argument (that will never end).
:goodposting: Took an enormous amount of grit to pull off - similar to Unitas in 1970. Unitas was extremely fortunate to win Super Bowl V but came back and tarnished his image. Hope Peyton doesn't make the same mistake.

I don't think it matters in football as much as baseball.
I guess not but many players have signed one-day contracts to retire with a team. Heck, Jim Irsay recently said he wanted Manning to do as much. Obviously both teams would like him to retire as a member of their team and both will be present, just curious which way he might end up going.

Users who are viewing this thread