What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Kansas City somewhat overrated? (1 Viewer)

I like Buf, they are a gritty team. This KC D will eat their QB alive though. Buf D will have to keep them in the game, and they will. I'm not sure it's enough to pull a win out.

They play to the caliber of the team they are playing and just do enough to win.

We will see how they do against Denver as SD coming up, because they have had an easier schedule. They are beating who they are supposed to beat. Can't complain about that.

They only care about W-L, not how much they win by.

There is no question that KC is undefeated. But are they really that good, or are they reaping the benefits of both a last place schedule and the AFC West playing the NFC East this season? The best team they have played, or at least the team with the best record, is Dallas. Dallas is 4-4, and the Chiefs beat the Cowboys 17-16 in Kansas City in week 2. Dallas probably will win that division, but they are only .500.

The Chiefs are ranked 18th in overall offense and 9th in overall defense. And again, that is against a weak schedule. The teams they have played have a combined record of 20-41. They didn't play a single team with a winning record in the first half of the season. I realize that you can only play the teams on your schedule but they really haven't been tested. The Chiefs play Denver twice, the Chargers twice, and the Colts in the second half of the season. I suspect we will learn if they are for real when they play Denver on Nov. 17th and the Chargers the following week.

I have this feeling that we will discover that the Chiefs are good team, but not nearly as good as they have looked thus far this season.
Not sure where you are going here. The best team, according to record, that the Broncos have beat is Dallas. And Dallas scored 48 on Denver. Denver lost to the only team above .500 that they have played. Their 7 wins come against teams with a comined 17-36 record.

Are you saying Denver is overrated?
If you watch Denver it is awful hard to say that Denver is overrated. Denver has scored almost at will on most teams. Denver looks like the best team in the AFC. I don't know how good the Denver defense is, but they can probably outscore anyone, so I'm not sure how good they have to be. KC looks like a pretty good team but I am not sure where they fit. Are they better than Indy? Are they better than the Patriots? Where do they fit?

The KC offense is relatively pedestrian. Charles is an elite player, but other than that they don't have any players that wow you. Bowe is a solid player that doesn't seem to fit what Alex Smith can do. The defense seems to be their strength, but I think they aren't as good as they appear. I think the defense has appeared so dominant because of the competition they have been against. They allowed Jason Campbell to put up almost 300 yards and 2 TDs with no interceptions this week. I think that is the genesis of this whole thread for me. You know that the Chiefs offense can't put up 40 in a track meet game. I just wonder what we will see from the Chiefs when they have to play some tougher competition.

I believe that the Bills will be a tough test for the Chiefs. The Bills, despite a lot of injuries, seem to play hard every week. I think we will have a much better idea of who the Chiefs are over the next month when they play @Buffalo, @Denver, and home against San Diego.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great regular season team. They will probably lose their first playoff game because that is what the chiefs do.

How are they overrated when everyone says they aren't as good as Den, Sea and others despite their record. They have the best record in the NFL and I hear nobody say they are the best team in the NFL.
Umm.. NFL.com, CBSSPORTS, and ESPN both have them as #1 in their Power Rankings.
I think they are only doing that because it looks bad not to have the only undefeated at #1. I'm not hearing anyone talking Super Bowl with them.
Exactly, "power rankings" are nothing more than lazy sportswriters producing "content" without having to write. The only power rankings that matter are the people willing to put $ behind their opinion. Go look at the NFL moneyline futures. KC isn't even in the top 3. That gives a much more accurate reflection of how people actually view them.

As for this thread, the OP certainly hooked several people with, "I have this feeling that we will discover that the Chiefs are good team, but not nearly as good as they have looked thus far this season." So you don't think they'll go undefeated and have the best season in the history of the NFL? Any room left out on the narrow, narrow limb for me?

You can keep spinning your wheels like that against a bad team, secure in the knowledge that time will eventually run out (see: the first Patriots/Jets game this year). You can't spin your wheels like that against a good team, because they will eventually take advantage (see: the Saints/Patriots game this year).
I dunno, I've heard plenty of people that consider the donks to be SB contenders and none of their victories have come against a team with a winning record. They have only played one team(IND) with a winning record and lost. Kind of a carbon copy of last year. I remember plenty of wheel spinning in that game so I guess you could say a lot of teams aren't as good as their record might indicate.

KC may prove that they can't hang with good teams but we don't know that yet. Other teams that are considered "legitimate SB contenders" have proven already they haven't been able to hang with good teams.

If you watch Denver it is awful hard to say that Denver is overrated.
They also have a swiss-cheese defense that could cost them if a defense can slow down Peyton.

They allowed Jason Campbell to put up almost 300 yards and 2 TDs with no interceptions this week.
210 of which was to Gordon and Cameron, two guys that can make any QB look good.

When not throwing to those two he was 11/22 for 80 yards and 1 TD.

The Whittaker TD was well designed play where Gordon basically threw a pick on the LB.

You can keep spinning your wheels like that against a bad team, secure in the knowledge that time will eventually run out (see: the first Patriots/Jets game this year). You can't spin your wheels like that against a good team, because they will eventually take advantage (see: the Saints/Patriots game this year).
I dunno, I've heard plenty of people that consider the donks to be SB contenders and none of their victories have come against a team with a winning record. They have only played one team(IND) with a winning record and lost. Kind of a carbon copy of last year. I remember plenty of wheel spinning in that game so I guess you could say a lot of teams aren't as good as their record might indicate.

KC may prove that they can't hang with good teams but we don't know that yet. Other teams that are considered "legitimate SB contenders" have proven already they haven't been able to hang with good teams.
I wasn't talking about KC's strength of schedule. I agree that you can only play who is on your schedule, and regardless of who it's been against, 8 wins in 8 tries is fantastic. I'm just saying, there are mistakes a team can make against inferior competition that don't hurt it, but when they repeat those mistakes against superior competition, it's much more likely to cost them the game. Denver played loose with the football for most of the season and still managed to win, because its competition sucked. Denver played loose with the football against Indianapolis and lost, because Indy was good enough to capitalize.

Similarly, Kansas City can give the ball back time after time after time in the 4th quarter to Cleveland and Houston while they're still within a score, and Kansas City still walks away with a victory because they're facing Case Keenum and Jason Campbell. On the other hand, if Kansas City has a 3-point fourth quarter lead against the Broncos, and KC gives Denver four chances to tie it or take the lead, you can bet Manning's going to make them pay for it.

If you watch Denver it is awful hard to say that Denver is overrated.
They also have a swiss-cheese defense that could cost them if a defense can slow down Peyton.
Denver's rush defense has been top-notch all season, not that it gets tested much. Their pass defense has been terrible, but in the two games since Von Miller came back, they've allowed a 53% completion percentage, 4.48 net yards per attempt, and a sub-70 QB rating (to go along with their 5 sacks and 4 INTs). That came against Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and a pair of pretty decent offenses.

Andy Reid looks like a lock for Coach of the Year. What's interesting is that Alex Smith has been the QB behind one COTY with Jim Harbaugh in 2011.

Smith is a middle of the road/mediocre QB, but he is kind of a coaches QB who manages the offense well with his limited abilities, and once in a while will hit a big play here and there. He is a workmanlike QB with a really humble and nice demeanor. But he is limited, and that also makes the offense limited. That's what was happening in SF last year, or else they wouldn't had been so quick to move to Kaepernick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Reid looks like a lock for Coach of the Year. What's interesting is that Alex Smith has been the QB behind one COTY with Jim Harbaugh in 2011.

Smith is a middle of the road/mediocre QB, but he is kind of a coaches QB who manages the offense well with his limited abilities, and once in a while will hit a big play here and there. He is a workmanlike QB with a really humble and nice demeanor. But he is limited, and that also makes the offense limited. That's what was happening in SF last year, or else they wouldn't had been so quick to move to Kaepernick.
Maybe those guys keep winning CotY because everyone's impressed with their ability to win with Alex Smith. ;)

Maybe those guys keep winning CotY because everyone's impressed with their ability to win with Alex Smith. ;)
Lol, well yeah I was gonna mention that too, yet Smith's "style" of play really lends towards the turnover ratio into the positive, and he will take the sack to protect the ball. I think he took six sacks in yesterday's game alone, all from different defensive players. One way to keep the TO ratio in your favor is to not toss the INT or pull the ball down to avoid the strip sack/fumble. It's efficient offense as opposed being Tony Romo out there, where he has to carry almost all of it as well as the whole team.

3rd down efficiency is key here. The 49ers for years were poor in that category post the Mooch years, even under Harbaugh and Smith. That's what really lost the 2011 NFCC game, where the 49ers only completed one successful 3rd down the entire game. David Akers was also the leading scorer that season as well. Sometimes taking that sack leads into creating tougher 3rd down situations. I dunno where KC's offense lies in that category though, although they were 10 of 19 on 3rd down yesterday.

When you can win several games without a TD pass, you're doing something right as a coach. KC's season kind of reminds of the 49ers 2011 season, where they won several without one. But you can only do that for so long. Maybe KC is saving some offense for the post season.

Aside from the 3 NFC East QB's, who have been inconsistant at best anyway, they've faced:

Blain Gabbert

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Terrelle Pryor

Case Keenum

Jason Campbell

Let's wait until next week when they face a real test against...

Thaddeus Lewis

... nevermind.

Every season there is at least one team that benefits from a cake schedule. The Chiefs are one of those teams this year. Denver is another. Clearly Denver appears better overall and we'll get to see if that's actually the case in weeks 10 and 12.

But regardless of strength of schedule, it's quite a feat to start out 8-0. The Chiefs are clearly a playoff team that could be dangerous with home field advantage. That said, any of the current AFC top teams would give them serious trouble.

My main concern with the Chiefs is at WR. Bowe has been on the decline since early last season. We all know Alex Smith is a game manager and the WR core is below average. This team is simply not well equipped to win if the D gives up more than 21 points, which to date they have not allowed thanks to a soft schedule. But the Pats, Bengals, Colts, and Broncos are all going to score more than 21 in a playoff game.

I disagree. The glaring weakness on this KC team is at RT, Fisher. In games I've watched Smith has done a great job mitigating pressure, mainly from Fisher's guy and either running for a few yds or avoiding devastating plays. If they could get better play out of him i think the rest of the offense would fall into place.

It's a good year to be in the NFC East and the AFC West. Both divisions get to play a lot of the NFC East.

Users who are viewing this thread