What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Kansas City somewhat overrated? (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
There is no question that KC is undefeated. But are they really that good, or are they reaping the benefits of both a last place schedule and the AFC West playing the NFC East this season? The best team they have played, or at least the team with the best record, is Dallas. Dallas is 4-4, and the Chiefs beat the Cowboys 17-16 in Kansas City in week 2. Dallas probably will win that division, but they are only .500.

The Chiefs are ranked 18th in overall offense and 9th in overall defense. And again, that is against a weak schedule. The teams they have played have a combined record of 20-41. They didn't play a single team with a winning record in the first half of the season. I realize that you can only play the teams on your schedule but they really haven't been tested. The Chiefs play Denver twice, the Chargers twice, and the Colts in the second half of the season. I suspect we will learn if they are for real when they play Denver on Nov. 17th and the Chargers the following week.

I have this feeling that we will discover that the Chiefs are good team, but not nearly as good as they have looked thus far this season.

I have this feeling that we will discover that the Chiefs are good team, but not nearly as good as they have looked thus far this season.
Teams don't make their schedule, so I have to give them credit for being the only undefeated team. They have had a soft schedule and imho their weaknesses will show when they play the more difficult second half schedule. Until then, props to the much improved Chiefs.

How are they overrated when everyone says they aren't as good as Den, Sea and others despite their record. They have the best record in the NFL and I hear nobody say they are the best team in the NFL.

As of today,

Teams that would definitely be favored over KC on a neutral field

SEA, DEN, NO

Probably be favored

IND, SF, CIN, GB

That's why no one is talking about them being the best team, despite having the best record. There are a lot of teams that can beat them, and it wouldn't be surprising. I think most people see them for what they are.

As of today,

SEA, DEN, NO

Probably be favored

IND, SF, CIN, GB

That's why no one is talking about them being the best team, despite having the best record. There are a lot of teams that can beat them, and it wouldn't be surprising. I think most people see them for what they are.
Yeah, so how are the overrated?

Chiefs had the same superbowl odds as the Patriots heading into the weekend. I can tell you which team I think is better.

How can the only 8-0 team in the NFL be over-rated when no one is giving them credit as the best team in the league?

Last edited by a moderator:
The defense is legit. They bring pressure up the middle with Poe and on the corners with Houston and Hali. Berry plays rover a lot and makes plays in the backfield and in the secondary. The corners have played really well for the most part; Marcus Cooper, a rookie out of Rutgers has been phenomenal when subbing for Flowers. But the offense is extremely limited. The o-line has struggled some. Smith won't challenge the defense vertically and he doesn't really have the wr's for it anyway. Jamaal is basically the entire offense. The Broncos games will be very telling.

As of today,

SEA, DEN, NO

Probably be favored

IND, SF, CIN, GB

Yeah, so how are the overrated?
I was pretty explicitly saying that they are not overrated, but appropriately rated.

The defense is legit. They bring pressure up the middle with Poe and on the corners with Houston and Hali. Berry plays rover a lot and makes plays in the backfield and in the secondary. The corners have played really well for the most part; Marcus Cooper, a rookie out of Rutgers has been phenomenal when subbing for Flowers. But the offense is extremely limited. The o-line has struggled some. Smith won't challenge the defense vertically and he doesn't really have the wr's for it anyway. Jamaal is basically the entire offense. The Broncos games will be very telling.
Fisher had proven to be a major liability from gams I've seen. If KC could get better play out of him I think their offense could take off.

Fisher had proven to be a major liability from gams I've seen. If KC could get better play out of him I think their offense could take off.
Fisher has been awful. Missed a lot of blocks today.

Last place schedule? Where you finish the year before effects 2 games. 2.
It really is amazing how many people still say this, including commentators and talk show hosts.
Exactly and even if it was a last place schedule, why would it matter? Even the NFL has no idea who would be good the next year. No one thought the Texans, Giants, Falcons and Steelers would be this bad. Just like most wouldn't have thought the Chiefs, Chargers, and Lions would be this good.

Bills will take out the Chiefs in BUF next week, book it. :towelwave:

chiefs are the first team in league history to start 8-0 after finishing with worst record previous year.

a few weeks ago, the defense was on pace to shatter the bears sack record...

There is no question that KC is undefeated. But are they really that good, or are they reaping the benefits of both a last place schedule and the AFC West playing the NFC East this season? The best team they have played, or at least the team with the best record, is Dallas. Dallas is 4-4, and the Chiefs beat the Cowboys 17-16 in Kansas City in week 2. Dallas probably will win that division, but they are only .500.

The Chiefs are ranked 18th in overall offense and 9th in overall defense. And again, that is against a weak schedule. The teams they have played have a combined record of 20-41. They didn't play a single team with a winning record in the first half of the season. I realize that you can only play the teams on your schedule but they really haven't been tested. The Chiefs play Denver twice, the Chargers twice, and the Colts in the second half of the season. I suspect we will learn if they are for real when they play Denver on Nov. 17th and the Chargers the following week.

Not sure where you are going here. The best team, according to record, that the Broncos have beat is Dallas. And Dallas scored 48 on Denver. Denver lost to the only team above .500 that they have played. Their 7 wins come against teams with a comined 17-36 record.

Are you saying Denver is overrated?

Last place schedule? Where you finish the year before effects 2 games. 2.
Correct, but the order in which teams in the division play the games has impacted the difficulty of the schedule that has already been played. They have had a very easy schedule so far. Beating easy teams doesn't mean they will or will not be competitive against tougher opposition.

As a Chiefs fan, I could give a damn if people think they're the best team after 8 games. If they keep winning and have home games in the playoffs in cold weather? I'll take my chances with this defense.

Very good team...benefiting from an easier schedule so far...and that they have remained pretty healthy this year.

As a Chiefs fan, I could give a damn if people think they're the best team after 8 games. If they keep winning and have home games in the playoffs in cold weather? I'll take my chances with this defense.
The Chiefs with home field advantage in the playoffs is a real possibility. A team that can run the ball, play great defense, hit the opposing QB, and not turn the ball over can beat Denver.

Not among the overall elite teams. With that said though.....the last team I'd want to play in the postseason is the Cheifs IN Kansas City in THAT weather with THOSE fans.....

How are they overrated when everyone says they aren't as good as Den, Sea and others despite their record. They have the best record in the NFL and I hear nobody say they are the best team in the NFL.
Agreed. I think Kansas City is pretty appropriately rated. Top 5 team, but not one of the elite.

Vegas has them at 15:1 to win the SB, which ranks 7th behind the Broncos, Seahawks, Saints, Niners, Patriots, and Packers. I'd take them over the Patriots right now, and possibly over the 49ers, but otherwise I feel like that's about right. I like Seattle's defense as much as KC's, and Wilson/Lynch/Harvin > Smith/Charles/Bowe. After that, I like the chances for Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers to win 3 straight against elite competition better than I like the chances for Alex Smith to do so.

Umm.. NFL.com, CBSSPORTS, and ESPN both have them as #1 in their Power Rankings.

I think they're good, but I admit I'd rank a number of teams ahead of them. They don't seem to blow away the competition. They play just well enough to beat teams that aren't going to the playoffs.

Now, maybe that's their game. They keep things close and play well enough to beat you with nothing flashy. I can buy that. I just don't see that formula working when you have to beat three really good teams to win a world title. Throw in the fact that Andy Reid isn't exactly Mr. Post-season and I don't see them winning it all.

But there's no shame in having an awesome season and having a chance to go all the way. Who knows? Maybe they put it together. You can't win the Super Bowl if you can't make the playoffs, so they're doing all they can.

I think they are underrated. Nobody gives them credit largely based on how they finished last year and the fact that their QB is Alex Smith. Their defense is legit, they have an explosive running back, and a QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Sounds pretty similar to what Alex Smith had with the 49ers last year and we saw how far that team went, albeit with Kaepernick taking over at the end.

Umm.. NFL.com, CBSSPORTS, and ESPN both have them as #1 in their Power Rankings.
I think they are only doing that because it looks bad not to have the only undefeated at #1. I'm not hearing anyone talking Super Bowl with them.

I think they are underrated. Nobody gives them credit largely based on how they finished last year and the fact that their QB is Alex Smith. Their defense is legit, they have an explosive running back, and a QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Sounds pretty similar to what Alex Smith had with the 49ers last year and we saw how far that team went, albeit with Kaepernick taking over at the end.
From Tanier's Mandatory Monday column this week:

"In the last two weeks, the Chiefs have punted nine times, lost three turnovers, and failed on one fourth down conversion in the fourth quarter, while nursing a combined four-point lead for most of that time."

You can keep spinning your wheels like that against a bad team, secure in the knowledge that time will eventually run out (see: the first Patriots/Jets game this year). You can't spin your wheels like that against a good team, because they will eventually take advantage (see: the Saints/Patriots game this year).

you have to tip your hat to the Chiefs, they're playing really well at the moment. regardless of their schedule, albeit against weak opponents with lousy Qbs, they're still getting it done.a win is a win - whether it's against 2-time SB MVP Eli Manning or a never-has-been like Jason Campbell..

I do think they'll get picked off by someone, but who knows..

For me,the team no one is talking about,the pink elephant in the middle of the room, is the Indianapolis Colts..they've beaten SF, Sea, Den - three of the top teams in the NFL..and they play KC Dec 22.

Bills will take out the Chiefs in BUF next week, book it. :towelwave:
Agree with this 100%. The Chiefs have never played well in Buffalo, and this one has all the makings of a Bills win.

This team is a good team. Not a great team. Way too many issues on offense. My main concern at this point is it seems Bob Sutton is getting way too comfortable with his front 4. While they are good, what propelled this team early was putting a lot of pressure on the QB. The last few weeks he has been rushing just 4 guys, and when the Chiefs can't get to the QB, the defense has had problems.

Now maybe this is part of their plan: don't show too many blitzes until the Denver game so Manning doesn't have a lot of film on them. This is an 8-0 team, but they have gotten EVERY break this year. The schedule, injuries, turnovers, you name it. At some point that evens out.

It's miles better than the last few years, but I think most realistic Chiefs fans know they aren't the best team in the NFL. BUT, they CAN win every game they are in...they are definitely built for that.

you have to tip your hat to the Chiefs, they're playing really well at the moment. regardless of their schedule, albeit against weak opponents with lousy Qbs, they're still getting it done.a win is a win - whether it's against 2-time SB MVP Eli Manning or a never-has-been like Jason Campbell..

I do think they'll get picked off by someone, but who knows..

For me,the team no one is talking about,the pink elephant in the middle of the room, is the Indianapolis Colts..they've beaten SF, Sea, Den - three of the top teams in the NFL..and they play KC Dec 22.
Indy has the most impressive resume of games played thus far. I'm a bit worried about them now minus Wayne and having already been down Allen. They have to get one of their other WRs to step up or they will get beat IMO. The other team that doesn't get talked bout enough, though more than Indy for sure, is Cinci. They are really playing good football right now.

Oddsmakers have them at something like 14 or 16 to 1 to win the Superbowl.

That's eighth best behind Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, New Orleans, Green Bay, New England and Cincinnati.

Not sure where you are going here. The best team, according to record, that the Broncos have beat is Dallas. And Dallas scored 48 on Denver. Denver lost to the only team above .500 that they have played. Their 7 wins come against teams with a comined 17-36 record.

Are you saying Denver is overrated?
:popcorn:

The Chiefs with home field advantage in the playoffs is a real possibility. A team that can run the ball, play great defense, hit the opposing QB, and not turn the ball over can beat Denver.
Denver is fielding an historically good offense. I think any team that beats them will have to air it out to keep up. Other than the game against Indy (they made a lot of mistakes that game), the fewest Denver has scored this season is 35, and they let off the gas in that game. The most KC has scored is 31. Denver's offense has the juice to run up the score against any defense. I think it will be tough for KC to score enough to beat Denver without opening up the game plan. When they do that, their turn overs are likely to increase. Also, Miller's second game back sure looked like it helped Denver's defense A LOT. I think Vegas has it right giving Denver the best odds and KC the 7th or 8th best odds to win a Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread