What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just sent Joe Bryant an email... (1 Viewer)

Projectons are a waste of time, we've covered this in depth. No matter how you rig the projections, none of it is foolproof. If anyone can predict with even a 50% accuracy what the stats will be within 100 yds, 1 TD, 5 rec, if anyone can really do that I am all ears. You can guess or give a ceiling/floor but an exact projection just won't work.

Good thread topic though.

Most, if not all, of the staffers do our own projections. As you say, it is the basis for everything we do -- whether it's writing an article, doing a group article like the over/undervalued guys, rankings (duh), etc.

Just to toss in my two cents, the only issue I see with your suggestion is that we won't be able to get a consensus of projections if we divvy up the work by position, because all of the counting numbers need to match up. If you project a QB for 4,200 yards then you can't have all of the receiving yards only add up to 3,950. Getting everyone on the same page with that, while ensuring that the completion percentage, YPA and YPC also conform somewhat close to expected results based on career norms and offseason changes would be a nightmare. It's difficult enough when you're the only one doing it, let alone having to match it up with 32 other sets of projections.

But to get back to the main point, I fully agree that projections are the heart of everything. I don't necessarily think it needs to come at the expense of other content, however. And especially not when Dodds has historically been pretty outstanding at projecting individual stats, making his projection charts extremely useful on their own.

Projectons are a waste of time, we've covered this in depth. No matter how you rig the projections, none of it is foolproof. If anyone can predict with even a 50% accuracy what the stats will be within 100 yds, 1 TD, 5 rec, if anyone can really do that I am all ears.
Sorry if this was covered before, but I've never viewed projections as an exercise in accuracy. To me, it's always been an exercise in becoming familiar with the situations and personnel of 32 teams.

Projectons are a waste of time, we've covered this in depth.
Huh... ya don't say?

I added my projections. You are hollering Antonio Gates...with Hass throwing the ball, gl.
I have him projected for about 250 points in PPR which last year would have him right there as a top10 WR, it's not like I am putting Marshall in the 4th round of redrafts, let's have some perspective because you are hollering board credibility and I really would hope the 10 years or so I have been posting wouldn't come down in pieces because I was a few receptions off from what you deem his output to be this season...that's really what we are posting back and forth about. I listed my projections, haven't seen much form you guys so I'm not sure how my board cred takes a hit form a person sitting in the stands.

Thanks,

MOP
He is clearly RB3/4 on the depth charts right now. I have started to ice my projections down some for him. He was running at the end of the game last night with the 4th team, I think that says something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good thoughts in this thread. I'll comment on this one:

2. Again, I will state that a consensus projection which averages the projections of several experts yields a statistically much more reliable result. It's been proven/demonstrated many times with academic studies. With all of the excellent staffers at your disposal, you could also divide the labor. Have 3-4 guys focus on QB's and TE's. A different group could focus on RB's, while a third group could handle WR's. You could let a rookie or two address Kickers and Defenses, as well. Then, MAKE these CONSENSUS Projections available for use in the VBD App and Draft Dominator.
Regarding the division of labor point, I don't think that would work very well. I can't really do Peyton Manning projections without also doing Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Willis McGahee projections. And vice versa. So I don't know that it would be efficient for one person to do QBs and another person to do WRs.Even dividing by teams I wouldn't be completely comfortable with. What if I have the AFC and Jason has the NFC, and I tend to underestimate overall production while he overestimates it? League-wide, the numbers will look right — but all the NFC guys will be ranked a bit too high and all the AFC guys will be ranked a bit too low.If I'm doing the whole NFL and I'm slightly underestimating overall production, I'll catch my error a lot more quickly than if I'm doing only a subsection of it.I think having each projector do the entire NFL works pretty well. We might be able to add to the total number of projectors in future years — I'm not sure. But if so, I'd still recommend that each person do the entire league instead of dividing things up.

Not sure I agree on the injury prediction comment. There are certain guys I predict will miss a few games and will continue to do so until they prove they can withstand a full season. To me, it's worthless to project 16 games of production for McFadden for example, because I'm more sure than not that he won't play all 16 games. He never has. Until he plays a full season and shows he's either changed his running style, workout regimin, or whatever it is that's making him get so banged up, I'll continue to do so.Predicting the exact number of games he'll miss is another question and is very debatable. I usually just go by the last few years and average them. I dont think about it too much, because I usually skip guys with the really big injury red flags anyway.
His point was to do the projections assuming 16 games, and let people filter those based on their own feelings on how they evaluate injury prone players, which makes sense to me.As it is, people are coming across a guy like Darren McFadden and deciding "nah, once I factor in that he could miss a few games he's not worth it here". But FBG is already factoring that in, so McFadden is getting dinged twice for the injury risk.People's opinions on "injury prone" vary so much that I think the OP's point makes sense.

2. Again, I will state that a consensus projection which averages the projections of several experts yields a statistically much more reliable result. It's been proven/demonstrated many times with academic studies. With all of the excellent staffers at your disposal, you could also divide the labor. Have 3-4 guys focus on QB's and TE's. A different group could focus on RB's, while a third group could handle WR's. You could let a rookie or two address Kickers and Defenses, as well. Then, MAKE these CONSENSUS Projections available for use in the VBD App and Draft Dominator.
Regarding the division of labor point, I don't think that would work very well. I can't really do Peyton Manning projections without also doing Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Willis McGahee projections. And vice versa. So I don't know that it would be efficient for one person to do QBs and another person to do WRs.Even dividing by teams I wouldn't be completely comfortable with. What if I have the AFC and Jason has the NFC, and I tend to underestimate overall production while he overestimates it? League-wide, the numbers will look right — but all the NFC guys will be ranked a bit too high and all the AFC guys will be ranked a bit too low.

If I'm doing the whole NFL and I'm slightly underestimating overall production, I'll catch my error a lot more quickly than if I'm doing only a subsection of it.

I think having each projector do the entire NFL works pretty well. We might be able to add to the total number of projectors in future years — I'm not sure. But if so, I'd still recommend that each person do the entire league instead of dividing things up.
Great minds...ETA: I wish

Regarding the division of labor point, I don't think that would work very well. I can't really do Peyton Manning projections without also doing Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Willis McGahee projections. And vice versa. So I don't know that it would be efficient for one person to do QBs and another person to do WRs.Even dividing by teams I wouldn't be completely comfortable with. What if I have the AFC and Jason has the NFC, and I tend to underestimate overall production while he overestimates it? League-wide, the numbers will look right — but all the NFC guys will be ranked a bit too high and all the AFC guys will be ranked a bit too low.If I'm doing the whole NFL and I'm slightly underestimating overall production, I'll catch my error a lot more quickly than if I'm doing only a subsection of it.I think having each projector do the entire NFL works pretty well. We might be able to add to the total number of projectors in future years — I'm not sure. But if so, I'd still recommend that each person do the entire league instead of dividing things up.
I'd like to see you guys do it divided up by team. There are ways to normalize to make sure league-wide trends are captured One way would be to have overlapping teams - A does AFCW and NFCN. B does NFCN and AFCE. C does AFCE and NFCS. D does NFCS and AFCC and NFCC, etc. You, you've got multiple people doing multiple teams, but the same two people are not doing more than a few teams. If you have enough people doing this with limited repetition, it will all smooth out. Ask Drinen about setting up a proper DOE for this, there are rigorous mathematical models for how to set this up.IMO, it's impossible for anyone to be an expert on 32 teams. There is too much detail. I'd rather see folks focused on 4 - 8 teams, in excruciating detail.

Most, if not all, of the staffers do our own projections. As you say, it is the basis for everything we do -- whether it's writing an article, doing a group article like the over/undervalued guys, rankings (duh), etc.Just to toss in my two cents, the only issue I see with your suggestion is that we won't be able to get a consensus of projections if we divvy up the work by position, because all of the counting numbers need to match up. If you project a QB for 4,200 yards then you can't have all of the receiving yards only add up to 3,950. Getting everyone on the same page with that, while ensuring that the completion percentage, YPA and YPC also conform somewhat close to expected results based on career norms and offseason changes would be a nightmare. It's difficult enough when you're the only one doing it, let alone having to match it up with 32 other sets of projections.But to get back to the main point, I fully agree that projections are the heart of everything. I don't necessarily think it needs to come at the expense of other content, however. And especially not when Dodds has historically been pretty outstanding at projecting individual stats, making his projection charts extremely useful on their own.
it's not that hard if you have a standard format for reporting projections and a method to normalize for historic norms and/or league-wide trends.one thing I've done in the past is put limits on projections - player X's ypc cannot exceed his career best YPC + some small amount. Team Y's plays cannot exceed some maximum number, etc. It's pretty easy to look at historic trends and apply bounds.

an issue with projecting 16 games - what do you do with handcuffs?

If Foster is healthy for 16 games, what do you project for Tate? If, hypothetically, Matthews were healthy for 16 games, how do you value Ronnie Brown? Would you assume these guys don't play for more than spot duty? I think they have higher value than that.

4. If you need to free up some time/manpower from your staff to manage the increased attention on projections, perhaps you could eliminate a few of the articles published on FBG. Now, I really enjoy many of the articles, but there are just far too many of them. Who has the time to read all of it?
I think some better organization of the articles page would help. Categories, tags, etc. Why can't there be a "dynasty" tag for articles, or a "by committee" tag, or any number of tags.One thing I'd love would be a listing of articles by author. Sometimes I'm reading an article and I want to see a previous article by the author. If I could click on their name at the top and it sent me to a page with all their articles, that'd be great.Another thing that would help would be, if you have an article that is one in a series, put a list of links to the other articles in the sidebar.I guess in general I feel like more linking would help me. Make it more like amazon than craigslist (if you want a terrible comparison off the top of my head.)
+1 on linking articles by author

My main issue here is that the primary tool that I use is the VBD Excel app which uses only Dodds' projections. I think it's their best tool, but that it could be so much better if we could plug-in other projections (preferably higher-fidelity consensus projections). And I have tried to use PD in the past but couldn't import those projections into the VBD Excel tool.
why not just use the DD and PD apps instead of the Excel tool?
butt sniffer

Once the David Dodds butt sniffers have finished having their hissy fit after reading your letter, expect a headhunt on you, Numb.

Future wannabe staffers are going to have a field day defending their leader.
Nice tone to this post.... but Dodds HAS been the most accurate Fantasy Football Projector in the industry over the last 2 years.... :whistle: 2011: #5 overall (out of 84)

2010: #2 overall (out of 34)

Independent auditor Fantasypros.com actually had this to say about Dodds:

"Dodds, meanwhile, has now finished in the top 5 in four out of the five accuracy competitions we’ve held. That’s a claim no other expert can make."

OOPS, FACTS.

:thumbup:
butt sniffer

Once the David Dodds butt sniffers have finished having their hissy fit after reading your letter, expect a headhunt on you, Numb.

Future wannabe staffers are going to have a field day defending their leader.
Nice tone to this post.... but Dodds HAS been the most accurate Fantasy Football Projector in the industry over the last 2 years.... :whistle: 2011: #5 overall (out of 84)

2010: #2 overall (out of 34)

Independent auditor Fantasypros.com actually had this to say about Dodds:

"Dodds, meanwhile, has now finished in the top 5 in four out of the five accuracy competitions we’ve held. That’s a claim no other expert can make."

OOPS, FACTS.

:thumbup:
I'm not knockin' Dodds. He provides a great service... many ways they/he can improve the site, but :thumbup: I'm knockin' the sniffers.
butt sniffer

I'd like to see you guys do it divided up by team. There are ways to normalize to make sure league-wide trends are captured One way would be to have overlapping teams - A does AFCW and NFCN. B does NFCN and AFCE. C does AFCE and NFCS. D does NFCS and AFCC and NFCC, etc. You, you've got multiple people doing multiple teams, but the same two people are not doing more than a few teams. If you have enough people doing this with limited repetition, it will all smooth out. Ask Drinen about setting up a proper DOE for this, there are rigorous mathematical models for how to set this up.IMO, it's impossible for anyone to be an expert on 32 teams. There is too much detail. I'd rather see folks focused on 4 - 8 teams, in excruciating detail.
Based on Dodds historical success against the industry, I want him doing all 32 teams. I'll look at the other's for a second opinion on a player, but I want to know what Dodds is thining on all the players.

Based on Dodds historical success against the industry, I want him doing all 32 teams. I'll look at the other's for a second opinion on a player, but I want to know what Dodds is thining on all the players.
oh...and...butt sniffer

Not sure I agree on the injury prediction comment. There are certain guys I predict will miss a few games and will continue to do so until they prove they can withstand a full season. To me, it's worthless to project 16 games of production for McFadden for example, because I'm more sure than not that he won't play all 16 games. He never has. Until he plays a full season and shows he's either changed his running style, workout regimin, or whatever it is that's making him get so banged up, I'll continue to do so.

Predicting the exact number of games he'll miss is another question and is very debatable. I usually just go by the last few years and average them. I dont think about it too much, because I usually skip guys with the really big injury red flags anyway.
His point was to do the projections assuming 16 games, and let people filter those based on their own feelings on how they evaluate injury prone players, which makes sense to me.As it is, people are coming across a guy like Darren McFadden and deciding "nah, once I factor in that he could miss a few games he's not worth it here". But FBG is already factoring that in, so McFadden is getting dinged twice for the injury risk.

People's opinions on "injury prone" vary so much that I think the OP's point makes sense.
This makes sense for some players...but NOT all players.Say player A is KNOWN in the preseason to be out for the first 3 or 4 games....thus player B is KNOWN to be more prevalent in the first few weeks...more starts. PPG for these two players is than, when based on a 16 game projection....USELESS.

I understand where you're coming from, and agree that arbitrarily projecting say, Vick to play only 14 games and adjusting his totals downward is potentially dangerous/misleading, but how else do you accurately project his backup UPWARDS properly?

IN the end, I think the problem is more complex than you and the OP are giving it credit for, and the way they do it now might be the only practical way to produce a COMPLETE set of projections that includes even the deeper backups that us hard core guys actually want. It's incumbent on us to note the # of games those projections are based on and understand the meaning.

This is also why draft cheat sheets do not, and SHOULD not necessarily match projections. I would argue that "consensus" rankings are ALREADY AVAILABLE (see the cheat-sheets section!)

oh...and...butt sniffer
Lol

I agree

I'd also like the ability to enter mutiple user projections into projections dominator and average those in with Dodds et al

Most, if not all, of the staffers do our own projections. As you say, it is the basis for everything we do -- whether it's writing an article, doing a group If you project a QB for 4,200 yards then you can't have all of the receiving yards only add up to 3,950.
meh...waste of time1) backups and huys you don't bother to project may get some numbers2) the goal is to get a baseline on a players value, not to predict the exact stats of every nfl player

Most, if not all, of the staffers do our own projections. As you say, it is the basis for everything we do -- whether it's writing an article, doing a group If you project a QB for 4,200 yards then you can't have all of the receiving yards only add up to 3,950.
meh...waste of time1) backups and huys you don't bother to project may get some numbers2) the goal is to get a baseline on a players value, not to predict the exact stats of every nfl player
The thing is this is how you make sure you come up with reasonable number for situations like Lloyd/Hernadez/Gronk/Welker. Woodhead/Fells/Branch/Edelman/Others account for 600-2 which is significant numers.

#4 is spot on. The content here is overwhelming just in volume. If you factor in that most articles range anywhere from 300-900 words, it's impossible to get through. I think most articles could be reduced to 150-250 words without losing anything.
That is your point of view - you read the articles you want to and everyone else does the same. FBG is trying to have articles of interest to many different subscribers/groups and like others I don't want this reduced.

IMO, it's impossible for anyone to be an expert on 32 teams. There is too much detail. I'd rather see folks focused on 4 - 8 teams, in excruciating detail.
It's true that it's impossible for most people, including me, to be an expert on all 32 teams.I'm going to do projections for all 32 teams anyway, though, because that's how I power my rankings.So if we divvied the teams up, let's say I'd take the AFC West and the other divisions would go to other staffers. I'd still do projections for all 32 teams, but I guess the idea is that I'd pay particularly close attention to the AFC West, and only my projections for that division would be posted? And other staffers would do the same thing with other divisions (for example)?Is that better than publishing everybody's projections for every team? Maybe it is. I don't know.

5. I'm not aware of any type of market research done by FBG. Do you periodically survey your paying customers about what they like or don't like or wish to improve(you probably do, but I'm just ignorant of it)?
Joe & David annually ask the Shark Pool for input, suggestions, improvements, complaints, etc. Then they do nothing about it. But they do ask.
lol. :thumbup: this thread is seriously giving me a laugh.
Soulfy3, how many times have you been banned using other screen names?

Not sure I agree on the injury prediction comment. There are certain guys I predict will miss a few games and will continue to do so until they prove they can withstand a full season. To me, it's worthless to project 16 games of production for McFadden for example, because I'm more sure than not that he won't play all 16 games. He never has. Until he plays a full season and shows he's either changed his running style, workout regimin, or whatever it is that's making him get so banged up, I'll continue to do so.Predicting the exact number of games he'll miss is another question and is very debatable. I usually just go by the last few years and average them. I dont think about it too much, because I usually skip guys with the really big injury red flags anyway.
His point was to do the projections assuming 16 games, and let people filter those based on their own feelings on how they evaluate injury prone players, which makes sense to me.As it is, people are coming across a guy like Darren McFadden and deciding "nah, once I factor in that he could miss a few games he's not worth it here". But FBG is already factoring that in, so McFadden is getting dinged twice for the injury risk.People's opinions on "injury prone" vary so much that I think the OP's point makes sense.
Yes that's My Take as well.Don't have projections try an factor injuries, give the projections based on a complete year.Then we as Fantasy Football team owners and drafters can factor what we think may happen andadjust the guy's accordingly, otherwise not knowing this was already being done we may knocka guy even lower then he deserves, and predicting injuries is tougher to get right then stats.-----------Known injuries are different, yes those should be factored in, backup guys that play more ifor when a guy gets hurt are little more tricky, I base those guys on what I feel has a betterchance of happening with them so would rate them accordingly..

As to the VDB Draft Dominator..

Anyone can alter the projections of any player you want.

That's what I do, I take the stock Dominator, look it over

an compare to my other info then adjust players accordingly.

5. I'm not aware of any type of market research done by FBG. Do you periodically survey your paying customers about what they like or don't like or wish to improve(you probably do, but I'm just ignorant of it)?
Joe & David annually ask the Shark Pool for input, suggestions, improvements, complaints, etc. Then they do nothing about it. But they do ask.
as many times as you've secretly begged to be on staff.plentyps: Claratin is good for all that sniffing you're doing.

Do you people actually read all these articles?How much of the site content (not including forums) do you guys use?
No, I don't read all the articles. I choose to read the ones that interest me. And I'm sure you choose the ones that interest you. Probably not the same ones depending on the league size, scoring system, rules, etc. So let's say FBGs cuts out the ones I read and just keeps the ones you read. I will no longer subscribe to FBGs. Cutting the number of articles also cuts the number of subscribers.

Do you people actually read all these articles?How much of the site content (not including forums) do you guys use?
No, I don't read all the articles. I choose to read the ones that interest me. And I'm sure you choose the ones that interest you. Probably not the same ones depending on the league size, scoring system, rules, etc. So let's say FBGs cuts out the ones I read and just keeps the ones you read. I will no longer subscribe to FBGs. Cutting the number of articles also cuts the number of subscribers.
Sure, but suppose the bottom 10% of the articles get only 1-2% of the page views on the site. They could be cut with virtually no impact.

as many times as you've secretly begged to be on staff.plentyps: Claratin is good for all that sniffing you're doing.
Actually Fanatic doesn't have time to play ff much less be on staff with his rapidly growing bbq media ventures.

Huh... ya don't say?

I added my projections. You are hollering Antonio Gates...with Hass throwing the ball, gl.
I have him projected for about 250 points in PPR which last year would have him right there as a top10 WR, it's not like I am putting Marshall in the 4th round of redrafts, let's have some perspective because you are hollering board credibility and I really would hope the 10 years or so I have been posting wouldn't come down in pieces because I was a few receptions off from what you deem his output to be this season...that's really what we are posting back and forth about. I listed my projections, haven't seen much form you guys so I'm not sure how my board cred takes a hit form a person sitting in the stands.

Thanks,

MOP
He is clearly RB3/4 on the depth charts right now. I have started to ice my projections down some for him. He was running at the end of the game last night with the 4th team, I think that says something.
:lmao: If you can find me in very many of the player spotlights with projections, or anywhere with a print of projections I'll listen. Good job of digging thru the archives there.

'Maurile Tremblay said:
'moleculo said:
IMO, it's impossible for anyone to be an expert on 32 teams. There is too much detail. I'd rather see folks focused on 4 - 8 teams, in excruciating detail.
It's true that it's impossible for most people, including me, to be an expert on all 32 teams.I'm going to do projections for all 32 teams anyway, though, because that's how I power my rankings.So if we divvied the teams up, let's say I'd take the AFC West and the other divisions would go to other staffers. I'd still do projections for all 32 teams, but I guess the idea is that I'd pay particularly close attention to the AFC West, and only my projections for that division would be posted? And other staffers would do the same thing with other divisions (for example)?Is that better than publishing everybody's projections for every team? Maybe it is. I don't know.
no, I'd want multiple people doing multiple teams, and then some fancy math to level-set the data.Here's an example of how I think it could work - 8 people, projecting 12 teams each. Now, each team has 3 independent projections, which can all be averaged. There are statistical tools that can be used to see if A generally over-projects, etc., and then corrected for. for every player on every team, you now have an average projection generated by someone with a laser-like focus. The projection can be up-to-date because you, as a projector, have a smaller range of teams you are responsible for tracking. But one other piece of data is you can calculate a standard deviation for each projected parameter and use that as a measure of uncertainty.The fancy math/statistics is in the ANOVA or D.O.E family. I'm too far removed from my grad school courses on statistics, but I think there is something interesting there.Pragmatically, it may be difficult for FBG to move towards a model like this. I'm not sure a general user would find additional value here, and in general, would a better quality projection really be more helpful? I'm not so sure. IMO what might be more useful is if you guys gave us a feel as to which teams you feel better about - maybe a return of the "follows closely" bit. I could use that to take the Chargers for Maurile, the Jets for Chase, the Bills for Aaron, etc.I've been thinking about this stuff for years. Several years ago I was trying to do projections myself and ran into trouble with a few teams - Seattle, I think, was one of the key teams I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I am completely indifferent to Seattle. They rarely play the Broncos or any of my local teams. They are almost never on TV in the south. Geographically, they are the furthest team from me. In general, I don't follow NFC very closely. I couldn't care one bit about the Seahawks. How am I supposed to come up with a reasonable breakdown for the Seahawk WR landscape?

Thanks Maurile and Michael for the staffer input. It's easier to make suggestions when one doesn't consider the constraints of the process or all possible ramifications. But I, for one, would still like to see a stronger focus on projections. At least projections for a full 16-game season or PPG (let me apply my own injury risk considerations) and better availability of a "consensus pick" feature in all applications. No matter how good Dodds may be, I remain convinced that the collective Dodds/Tremblay/Wood/Henry wisdom is better...

:lmao: If you can find me in very many of the player spotlights with projections, or anywhere with a print of projections I'll listen. Good job of digging thru the archives there.
two posts in the last week or so you are talking about "your projections".... I didn't exactly have to "Dig" very far there fella. :lmao:

meh...waste of time1) backups and huys you don't bother to project may get some numbers

2) the goal is to get a baseline on a players value, not to predict the exact stats of every nfl player
I agree that it's sort of a waste of time if you project backups to find out THEIR stats. Meaning, nobody really cares how many receptions and yards Devin Aromashodu is going to have. But it's important to get a sense of how many catches he'll have, because those are catches that Percy Harvin and Kyle Rudolph won't have.Speaking only for myself, I'll project a team's total number of offensive plays, break that down by how many rush/pass attempts I expect in the coming year (based in part on changes, individual player improvement or decline, offensive and defensive improvements, etc), and then divvy up passing targets/receptions accordingly. After accounting for the bottom of the barrel guys, I then have a solid number to work with for the top guys. Otherwise if I just project the draftable players like Harvin, Rudolph, etc., they are getting too large a piece of the pie.

So yes, it's pointless when I finalize my rankings and find out, 'oh cool I have Aromashodu as WR118' but it does help to fill in the gaps so you can project the "real" guys.

1. Stop attempting to project the # of games played by a player. It's simply ludicrous to think you can predict whether Vick, McFadden, or Austin will play 12, 14, or any specific number of games. It would be MUCH more useful to project all players as if they're playing 16 games. We know who the injury/suspension risks are and will adjust our draft strategies accordingly. Including speculation on games missed severely skews the projections and makes comparison MORE DIFFICULT.
Great stuff in your letter to Joe. Well done.On this point- you're right that they can't predict health, but they can project tendencies or likelihood. For example nobody would consider it equally likely that Vick and Eli Manning will play 16 games in 2012. One thing I'd like to see some sort of projection that includes replacement-level performance for guys who are more injury-prone.For example, let's say you project Vick to produce 300 fantasy points in your league in 13 games and E. Manning to produce 340 points in 16 games (just as an example based on 2011 numbers). Shouldn't the projections somehow be able to compare the two by incorporating replacement-level performance at QB for the other three games? Total points overvalues Manning because it ignores the replacement points, and points per game overvalues Vick because it assumes that you're replacing Vick with a player of equal caliber.Is there a way to do this? Or maybe the FBG tools already do it and I just don't know about it? If this sort of calculation were somehow incorporated into the projections I think it would help correct the problem ComfortablyNumb identifies, where the projections that predict missed time for injuries skew the data to the point that it's less useful.

Users who are viewing this thread