What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

why is that a problem if they are tested before they enter?
Why is it a problem if they all congregate outside before being tested?   Really?? Also pretty sure we ruled out the ability to test that size of crowd in any sort of timely manner unless you actually think there will be a 1 minute test and 200 trained staff testing people at breakneck pace.  

Bingo. It may be like what you described, what I described, or both. The bottom line is that the shift is happening to living with coronavirus, not eliminating coronavirus. Business and industry will be tasked with coming up with some show measures to give off the appearance that they're doing something. Look, we had show measures in place at grocery stores. All it told us is that there's a small percentage of the population that needs to exercise extra due diligence. Everyone else can wear masks, wash their hands, be thermally scanned, tested, verified asymptopmatic, immune etc. And even those measures are really to protect the vulnerable around us, not really as a self-protective measure for most people.
Case in point...

Syracuse company develops coronavirus-killing drone for arenas and stadiums

Would something like this create a 100% fresh and sterile environment prior to each new game, match, concert, etc? Doubtful. But things like this will be part of the big show to get people back in the stands.

What happens with season ticket holders that can't attend due to preexisting conditions (say, age, asthma, etc.)?  Do they still have to pay?  Would they still have their tickets next season if they don't?

Important part is it’s arguing now over how the games will be executed vs if they’ll be.
I am assuming they will play.  I am not automatically assuming they finish the season.  

Edit.....off topic, but it's silly that MLB is not playing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming they will play.  I am not automatically assuming they finish the season.  

Edit.....off topic, but it's silly that MLB is not playing.  
Last I heard, they want to play in all the home stadiums, instead of a few cities in Arizona, Texas and Florida.  The players want this because they can be close to home and family.  Makes sense for owners also as local broadcasting rights on the regional cable stations are decent money they don't want to lose. 

Last I heard, they want to play in all the home stadiums, instead of a few cities in Arizona, Texas and Florida.  The players want this because they can be close to home and family.  Makes sense for owners also as local broadcasting rights on the regional cable stations are decent money they don't want to lose. 
Yeah they can play at their regular stadiums.  Why not.  If there was ever a sport that could go on with a virus its baseball.  

They just might have to stop chewing and spitting everywhere.  I imagine they wanna get paid bad enough they should be ok.  Let em smoke in the dugout if ya need to.

Yeah they can play at their regular stadiums.  Why not.  If there was ever a sport that could go on with a virus its baseball.  

They just might have to stop chewing and spitting everywhere.  I imagine they wanna get paid bad enough they should be ok.  Let em smoke in the dugout if ya need to.
what? why?

I imagine the issues were....

- TRAVEL, a number of sports teams fly via charter or own their own planes but you still come into a lot more contact during travel outside of the plane. That is pretty unavoidable. If players were able to have long stretches where they play at a single stadium that would cut down on travel a great deal.

- ACCOMMODATION, wherever these players will be "on the road" it's going to be a logistical nightmare making sure that all the staff at the hotels/restaurants/bars are also tested for covid. I think this is where things(costs/time/test results) spiral quickly and most fans don't take this into consideration. Yeah, you can make sure all the players/refs are tested for the time they are actually on the field of play. It's a much bigger nightmare making sure that everyone those people come into contact with OFF the field are also tested.... and how often because the kitchen staff, maids, bartenders will be coming into contact with people(friends/family/etc) outside of their jobs. If you have several teams staying at a single large hotel with a single hotel staff being tested it would be much, much easier than flying around the country as usual testing the hotel staff in 30+ different cities.

I'm also not too sure how liability will work. If a league comes back and starts playing and a star 23yo player was to get COVID while with the team and passes away...... what kind of lawsuit is the team/league on the hook for if the family starts estimating how much that guy would have made over the course of his career if he wasn't forced to come back and play too soon? Maybe some players would sign waivers because they don't want to lose an entire year of earning potential. But others would rather just wait. If you are on a team where everyone signs the waiver I would think you are at a big competitive advantage over a team that has several players that won't sign the waiver. All it would take is a few starting pitchers to say, "Nah, I'm good I'll just wait" and they are really just going to be the Washington Generals anyway.

I don't listen to any sports talk radio, and haven't seen ESPN in well over a decade. Maybe they have already found solutions to these issues and I simply haven't heard them. But if they have I'd certainly like to hear what their solutions were.

If they could they’d be playing 
So MLB cant play but NFL can. 

Does not compute.

There is not going to be any difference in game day risk between right now and in September, and I will go out on a limb and say it's less risky to play baseball than football.  

So MLB cant play but NFL can. 

Does not compute.

There is not going to be any difference in game day risk between right now and in September, and I will go out on a limb and say it's less risky to play baseball than football.  
the difference in risks becomes meaningless past a minimally acceptable risk, which baseball is already well past.

yes there is less physical contact than in football, but still plenty of contact and risk. locker rooms are a thing as capella pointed out, germs can spread through the baseball like mquinn has said.  the catcher, batter and umpire are right on top of eachother. outfielders collide all the time, players round bases and slide into second to break up double plays. you can try to reconfigure things but there is essentially no getting past some risk, which is unacceptable.  

football hasn’t actually figured anything out, its season just happens to be 4 months from now so they have some time. baseball is trying to restart in july, and when they do it won’t have anything to do with the level of physical contact,  but rather how many people they can test to ensure no one playing in or involved in a game has the virus.

what? why?
Players rarely have contact with each other, and stadiums are usually half-full.

Of all the major sports, baseball has the best chance of re-opening during the pandemic.

Players rarely have contact with each other, and stadiums are usually half-full.

Of all the major sports, baseball has the best chance of re-opening during the pandemic.
it’s simply not true. any risk is seen as unacceptable risk. the league with the best chance to reopen is the league with the most to lose and most likely to use its power and influence to acquire mass testing. that is the nfl.

with that said, i do think mlb will figure out how to use mass testing to reasonably ensure player safety and come back in july.  but when they come back, less player contact won’t have anything to do with why.

it’s simply not true. any risk is seen as unacceptable risk. the league with the best chance to reopen is the league with the most to lose and most likely to use its power and influence to acquire mass testing. that is the nfl.
"We have more to lose" is not a convincing argument in the face of a pandemic. The virus doesn't care.

If the NFL acquires mass testing, then everyone will. It's not like the NFL will be able to hoard the technology.

"We have more to lose" is not a convincing argument in the face of a pandemic. The virus doesn't care.

If the NFL acquires mass testing, then everyone will. It's not like the NFL will be able to hoard the technology.
more to lose as in they stand to lose more money by not playing a season.

absolutely not true. the NBA has already said they will not acquire mass testing until team cities have enough tests to do mass testing themselves. they don’t want to take tests out of the hands of ordinary citizens. the NFL will likely have no problem doing this. 

more to lose as in they stand to lose more money by not playing a season.

absolutely not true. the NBA has already said they will not acquire mass testing until team cities have enough tests to do mass testing themselves. they don’t want to take tests out of the hands of ordinary citizens. the NFL will likely have no problem doing this. 
They just need to donate 1 or 2 tests to public health for every 1 they use themselves and they come off looking like heroes as well as making us sports fans happy.

I think that there are a lot of issues that will make things a lot more complicated than some may be making it out to be. There still may be time to figure things out and the overall big picture could change. However . . .

What will the league do if certain locations are ground ruled out in terms of playing games? California has alluded to not letting any games being played this calendar year. Massachusetts has said no large gatherings until after Labor Day at a minimum (so extending it several months past that is not a stretch). New Jersey is a couple miles from NYC. Who knows if games without fans would be allowed in those places. (As a for instance, I got an email today from a theater in Boston saying they are busy looking to reschedule concerts and performances into 2021 and 2022 . . . that sounds ominous.)

As a secondary issue, if there are teams that could host games in their regular stadiums with fans with social distancing . . . then what? Those teams get home games while a bunch of other teams don't get any home games? Do they just not care about having an even, competitive playing field this year?

What happens if some teams / players are adverse to playing . .  or get sick (or test positive)? Do those teams have to play anyway? Do they forfeit? Do they have to take 2-3 weeks off? Say Mahomes tests positive right before the Ravens game . . . then what? Does he have to sit out? The Chiefs play the Patriots the week after . . . does he have to sit out for that one too?

What about the teams? TEAM X gets fans all season. TEAM Y is not allowed any. Would TEAM Y be told they have to lose $100 million while TEAM X may only lose $20 million?

I am sure the league is scheming and planning, but I also think there will be another big wave of the virus later in the year (meaning new hot spots will pop up). And while the NFL may have a plan, if things open up in other sports with fans in attendance and there are health issues, the NFL may not even get a chance to try their plan. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to be realistic that there are a lot of moving parts to this.

Every player on defense potentially touching the baseball directly with their hands, including pitcher/catcher/umpire. I feel like that would start an outbreak pretty quickly if someone is infected.
You feel like it would, but wouldnt.   It isnt spread THAT easily.  

Not to mention the players will be tested with frequency 

And for whoever keeps mentions the damn locker rooms, people, they dont all have to use the same freaking locker room.  They will have like 500,000 square feet of room to figure that out 

And for whoever keeps mentions the damn locker rooms, people, they dont all have to use the same freaking locker room.  They will have like 500,000 square feet of room to figure that out 
500k sq ft, is like twenty, 2500 sq ft single level homes.

Are you saying stadiums have more than two locker rooms?     Are you saying they dress outside the locker rooms like in the tunnels?  WTH are you saying here?  LOL

Getzlaf15 said:
500k sq ft, is like twenty, 2500 sq ft single level homes.

Are you saying stadiums have more than two locker rooms?     Are you saying they dress outside the locker rooms like in the tunnels?  WTH are you saying here?  LOL
They have an entire stadium to figure out where to dress.  How hard is it to build a few tent-like structures around the stadium.  Build a row of changing booths.

Why is the locker room thing so troubling for people to figure out??  Yes, yes have them dress any damn where.  Tunnels, bathrooms, concession areas, whatever.  

They have an entire stadium to figure out where to dress.  How hard is it to build a few tent-like structures around the stadium.  Build a row of changing booths.

Why is the locker room thing so troubling for people to figure out??  Yes, yes have them dress any damn where.  Tunnels, bathrooms, concession areas, whatever.  
Each players takes a bathroom next to the concession stands on each level, all around the stadium.  Visitors get the womens bathroom. 

Each players takes a bathroom next to the concession stands on each level, all around the stadium.  Visitors get the womens bathroom. 
As crazy as that sounds, if that's what it takes to be able to play and generate billions upon billions of dollars, then duh, yeah

You cant wrap your head around THIS, yet you think NFL games can take place??  With fans in attendance??????
This has never been an issue for me.  :lmao:        But will the women use their bathrooms after they know the visiting players have dressed in them?

The ones that get tested via an app as they walk in.  It will only take seconds, and no additional staff will be needed.
Sigh.....I am talking about baseball being played right now.  No fans.  There doesnt need to be fans for these games to be played.  

Also, what app?  How does an app test people?  Then again, who cares.  Play the games.  Fans at the game are not a necessity this season.

ghostguy123 said:
of course.  the pga is planning to restart next month and plans to have testing in place for all players and staff, and golf is certainly lower risk than baseball.  the KBO is playing baseball right now, but only with tests for all player and staff.  if any legitimate pro league restarts without a strict testing regimen then i will stand corrected.  but it isn’t going to happen.

You cant wrap your head around THIS, yet you think NFL games can take place??  With fans in attendance??????
what’s going to happen with pickoff plays? ghostman on first situation? no baserunners at all?  it really isn’t as low risk as you think it is, and relative to other sports doesn’t mean anything because baseball players and owners aren’t thinking about it like that (and why would they!)

Sigh.....I am talking about baseball being played right now.  No fans.  There doesnt need to be fans for these games to be played.  

Also, what app?  How does an app test people?  Then again, who cares.  Play the games.  Fans at the game are not a necessity this season.
Dan Straily, ex-MLB player now in Korea, said on ESPN  that playing without fans wasn't close to the same and he thought play would suffer.  While they are not going to play in front of fans right away, I'm not seeing why they couldn't sell tickets in blocks of two or four, with four vacant seats (18 inches wide x 4 = six feet) in between and sell about 10,000 seats per game.

of course.  the pga is planning to restart next month and plans to have testing in place for all players and staff, and golf is certainly lower risk than baseball.  the KBO is playing baseball right now, but only with tests for all player and staff.  if any legitimate pro league restarts without a strict testing regimen then i will stand corrected.  but it isn’t going to happen.
Pretty sure I said the players should and will be tested

Dan Straily, ex-MLB player now in Korea, said on ESPN  that playing without fans wasn't close to the same and he thought play would suffer.  While they are not going to play in front of fans right away, I'm not seeing why they couldn't sell tickets in blocks of two or four, with four vacant seats (18 inches wide x 4 = six feet) in between and sell about 10,000 seats per game.
So play would suffer.  So what?  It is what it is.  It's either that or no game at all.

Seems the choice is obvious

If there was ever a moment in time people would allow for a lesser product it's right now.  

Peyton Marino said:

what’s going to happen with pickoff plays?
How often is there face-to-face or skin-to-skin contact in a baseball game, vs. football or basketball games? I wonder if the NFL will start requiring plastic shields for all facemasks.

Users who are viewing this thread