What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housler Hype (3 Viewers)

Before Housler got hurt last year in week 15, he was averaging 5.5 receptions and 46 yards in his last 6 games (excluding the Falcons game where he inexplicably had zero targets).
I can't tell if you think that's a positive or a negative.

8 yards per reception for a guy with 4.50 speed? Zero TDs in 27 games? It's tough to see him as a difference maker.
Let's judge Fitzgerald for his ####ty production last year, too.
Fitzgerald last 27 games... 1782 yards, 10 TDs, 14.4 yards per catch.
that's almost 2 seasons. lackluster for him.
Right. Had that been 16 games that is something. But that is exactly 66 yards per game, which will net you almost exactly 1,000 yards over 16 games (1056 to be exact) and a whopping 5.9 TD's over a complete season. In a lot of leagues, that's not a guy worth starting outside of a flex position...

Before Housler got hurt last year in week 15, he was averaging 5.5 receptions and 46 yards in his last 6 games (excluding the Falcons game where he inexplicably had zero targets).
I can't tell if you think that's a positive or a negative.

8 yards per reception for a guy with 4.50 speed? Zero TDs in 27 games? It's tough to see him as a difference maker.
My point was that Housler was getting involved a lot in the 2nd half of the season.

The Cards offense was awful last year and had low YPR by receivers across the board. I'm not ready to lay the blame on Housler just yet for his low YPR.

cuts u is right on this one brohans houseler is going to be decent this year not a top 5 but in my opinion definitely a guy you can scoop up late and feel good about your te position as my main man yoda used to say bank to take you that brohans

SWC said:
cuts u is right on this one brohans houseler is going to be decent this year not a top 5 but in my opinion definitely a guy you can scoop up late and feel good about your te position as my main man yoda used to say bank to take you that brohans
:lol:

SWC said:
Gold man. Gold.

Just missed on this dude in my draft bc I thought he would fall. I have this thread to thank for him being nabbed.

Breaking Out In 2013Darren Urban

azcardinals.com

Excerpt:

TE ROB HOUSLER

He’s perhaps the most obvious choice, for a multitude of reasons. With only three proven receivers, Housler should be necessary. Carson Palmer is the best quarterback Housler will have played with in his short career. Arians believe tight ends are important, and Housler – given his physical stature – can give the Cards some matchup advantages (Arians said he saw Housler as a big receiver coming out of college.) Housler’s blocking is a work-in-progress, and we’ve talked about his breakout potential before. Last season, Arians and the Colts got 26 catches from a banged-up Coby Fleener and 45 from Dwayne Allen, both of whom were rookies. I don’t see Housler becoming an 80-catch guy with the Cards’ receiving corps, but I can see 60 if things click.

I really don't get the hype with this guy. Sure, Palmer will help, but with the way some people are talking up this passing game (in relation to Fitz and Floyd too), you'd think it was Tom Brady getting these guys the ball. Palmer had an unexpectedly good (fantasy) year last year, but a lot of that was due to game script and the Raiders throwing a tonne from behind for a lot of meaningless garbage stats. Zona won't be great, but their defence should be solid for the most part, and I see them playing in more tighter, low scoring games where they don't get blown out early. Palmer is an upgrade over Skelton/Kolb in fantasy and reality, but I'm not sure it's by enough to make this a viable fantasy passing game. Also, Housler is only the third option at best in the passing game, and probably fourth after Roberts. I just don't see the upside. As a backup TE, he'll probably be fine, but I wouldn't want to be putting him in my starting lineup outside of bye weeks.

Rotoworld:

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando observes that it's "hard to miss" Rob Housler when watching Cardinals' training camp practice.
"[There's a] buzz about him in the locker room, too," Sando tweeted. "Big plays. Fast." Following coach Bruce Arians' praise of the 25-year-old's catching ability, the Cardinals' official website predicted Housler as the team's most likely breakout candidate earlier this month. Housler is Rotoworld's No. 14 fantasy tight end at the moment, but there's plenty of upside.

Source: Mike Sando on Twitter

This is the third year in a row that this same article has been published.
Cardinals have been inept since Warner left. Kind of irrelevant. I'm not fan of Palmer, but if they even get back to an AVERAGE passing attack, all the offensive players should see big jumps in production.

This thread has been very quiet in August and Housler is still flying way under the radar. I'm beginning to really warm up to him as a serious sleeper and I just picked him up as a stash behind Finley and fleener.

Lets say Carson Palmer throws for 4200 yards and 30 tds this year (conservative given last years production, Bruce Arians offense, and the talented wrs he has this year)

Fitz comes back to life - 1300 yards, 10 Tds

Floyd breaks out - 1100 yards, 8 Tds

Roberts contributes - 700 yards, 4 Tds

The RBS combine for 300 yards and 2 Tds

That leaves 800 yards and 6 tds for Housler. I'd say that would put him in TE1 territory, no?

Someone check my math I'm typing in my iPhone on the bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Palmer as a nice match for Arians and what he wants to do, but I'm not sure I could get on board with calling 4200/30 "conservative."

“I see a wideout playing tight end, a guy that’s very versatile,” Arians said of Housler to Arizona Sports in June per revengeofthebirds.com. “He can play in the backfield, at tight end, split out wide.

“I think the sky’s the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise, and I really like the way he plays football.”

I like Palmer as a nice match for Arians and what he wants to do, but I'm not sure I could get on board with calling 4200/30 "conservative."
Well maybe conservative wasn't the right term but he passed for 4000 Tds and 22 Tds under much worse conditions in oak last year. Denarius Moore was his #1 wr. Brandon Meyers was his best receiver. Leaves a lot to be desired.

A case could be made that Andre Roberts, Arizona's #3 wr, could be wr1 in oak.

Look at what Big Ben and luck did under Arians.

Part of why this thread is quiet may be that he doesn't have a catch through two preseason games. I still like him late as a sleeper, but there's a reason the Jordan Cameron thread is blowing up while this one's napping.

Also, your math leaves out all the players who'll pick up 5-10 catches throughout the year. Those guys--the second TE, the 4th and 5th WR--tend to eat up 400+ yards for most teams. Arians' teams are pretty streamlined in that way, but even last year's Indy teams had 245 yards go to TE/WRs outside of Wayne/Hilton/Avery/Allen/Fleener.

I see a wideout playing tight end, a guy thats very versatile, Arians said of Housler to Arizona Sports in June per revengeofthebirds.com. He can play in the backfield, at tight end, split out wide.

I think the skys the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise, and I really like the way he plays football.
This sounds like Arians is hinting towards using Housler like the Pats used Aaron Hernandez. Interesting.

I can only hope that the lack of use during the preseason is an attempt at concealing his immense talent until the regular season, thereby sneaking up on the opposing defenses.

Have to admit I'm getting a bit concerned, especially with the depth at TE behind the elites.

Arians doesn't really have a history of using his TEs, and Housler's barely been targeted through two games. It's not time to panic just yet, but if someone else in my league was a real believer and offered me a solid deal, I'd gladly move on.

I just feel like he's 4th in line, at best, for targets in this offense (Fitz, Floyd, Roberts) -- not including the RBs. Combined with Arians history... color me concerned.

Rotoworld:

Rob Housler has seen one target and has zero catches through 32 preseason snaps.
Coach Bruce Arians downplayed the lack of involvement. "[Housler is] a given to me, so I don't need to see that part," Arians said. "Right now, we're not featuring Robby a lot in the passing game. It's more blocking, and I think he's improved tremendously." We'd have an easier time believing Arians if he featured tight ends at his previous stops. The highly athletic Housler will be a mere stash on fantasy benches to start the season. He has wait-and-see fantasy value.

Source: arizonasports.com

Rotoworld:

Rob Housler has seen one target and has zero catches through 32 preseason snaps.
Coach Bruce Arians downplayed the lack of involvement. "[Housler is] a given to me, so I don't need to see that part," Arians said. "Right now, we're not featuring Robby a lot in the passing game. It's more blocking, and I think he's improved tremendously." We'd have an easier time believing Arians if he featured tight ends at his previous stops. The highly athletic Housler will be a mere stash on fantasy benches to start the season. He has wait-and-see fantasy value.

Source: arizonasports.com
Pretty strong endorsement, but even if they are testing his blocking you'd think they'd get some passing work in during the preseason.

You just gave me cancer.

Count me out on Housler for drafting. Could work out, but too many targets in AZ and Arians just hasn't shown his hand. Maybe he is playing poker, maybe he isn't. His history says Housler shouldn't be your starting TE.

Bad reports out of camp about the staff not being happy with Housler, Arians, history ...meh, better risks. I'd rather have Davis or someone else less sexy.

Count me out on Housler for drafting. Could work out, but too many targets in AZ and Arians just hasn't shown his hand. Maybe he is playing poker, maybe he isn't. His history says Housler shouldn't be your starting TE.

Bad reports out of camp about the staff not being happy with Housler, Arians, history ...meh, better risks. I'd rather have Davis or someone else less sexy.
Where are these reports? Don't remember even one saying something along those lines.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians revealed Monday that Rob Housler has been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain.
If it's a high ankle sprain of even normal severity, Housler will definitely miss next week's season opener and could be out quite a bit longer than that. Housler suffered the injury in Arizona's third preseason game. Already behind Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and Andre Roberts in the competition for Cardinals targets, Housler isn't worth a pick in standard fantasy drafts.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

Where are these reports? Don't remember even one saying something along those lines.
I agree, all the report were that he was tearing it up and was pretty much a large WR

I agree, all the report were that he was tearing it up and was pretty much a large WR
People always state that like it's a good thing. Sometimes, a "large WR" playing TE is a bad thing. You know, like when having to be physical or when blocking linebackers/defensive lineman.

People always state that like it's a good thing. Sometimes, a "large WR" playing TE is a bad thing. You know, like when having to be physical or when blocking linebackers/defensive lineman.
Sorry guys - just went looking for the comment about coach(es) frustrated with him and can't find it so maybe I imagined it.

I'm not sure where the reports he was tearing it up originated from. I was out at camp everyday but 2. He looked decent in camp but the he actually didn't do a lot of receiving work. He did a lot of work his the O-line, He didn't stand out or come up with any WOW catches (which is one gripe I have about him -- he never ever comes up with a tough catch).

He's a guy that'll look good with a lot of room to run -- because he is a good athlete for someone his size. He's never screamed fantasy factor to me -- and this camp was no different. I personally would have sold him several weeks ago.

I'm thinking about dropping this guy to get a good kicker before there's a run on them. I puzzled him up lay yay with high hopes. Ain't seen squat. Just hype. Now ankle injury. Safe to drop in dynasty league? Just trying to gauge long term value before i drop him and end up regretting it usually means he'll go off

OK so lets get more tactical here.

I cannot be the only one who took Housler to backup Finley/Olson this year in redraft.

What is the move here? Week 4 seems long enough away. If not what are you doing?

I'm thinking about dropping this guy to get a good kicker before there's a run on them. I puzzled him up lay yay with high hopes. Ain't seen squat. Just hype. Now ankle injury. Safe to drop in dynasty league? Just trying to gauge long term value before i drop him and end up regretting it usually means he'll go off
I dropped. He hasn't done enough for anyone to get excited about holding him through the injury. If a spot on my roster comes open when he's close to returning, maybe I'll scoop him back up.

In dynasty I don't know how you can drop a guy with his speed who also caught 45 passes in his second year.

He does remind me of Dustin Keller who took 3 years to make any fantasy impact. However, I am concerned that he never lives up to his talent much the way Keller never did.

(TheHuddle)Arizona Cardinals TE Rob Housler (ankle) is expected to make his season debut against the New Orleans Saints in Week 3 after missing the first two games with a high ankle sprain. 'It's one thing running - he can run - it's another thing pushing against big bodies with those ankles,' head coach Bruce Arians stated. 'You never know how that's going to turn out.'

Analysis: Arizona TEs Jim Dray and Kory Sperry have combined for 8 catches for 68 yards in the first 2 games, but Housler is a definite upgrade after leading all NFC West TEs with 45 catches last season.

The past two weeks he's 11 for 85 yards on 12 targets.

I don't think he'll be startable this year but if you're looking for a low risk, high reward guy to acquire in dynasty I'd try to get him before he has a big game.

I don't think he'll be startable this year but if you're looking for a low risk, high reward guy to acquire in dynasty I'd try to get him before he has a big game.
I think he'll be an even better buy-low after the season ends. I don't expect much from the Cardinals offense this year. I'd acquire him cheap after this season and then hope Arizona can improve their O-Line and QB situation.

I think he'll be an even better buy-low after the season ends. I don't expect much from the Cardinals offense this year. I'd acquire him cheap after this season and then hope Arizona can improve their O-Line and QB situation.
Possibly, but I think anyone holding onto him through the season is likely thinking the same thing.

With so many promising TE prospects, its hard to justify a roster spot on Housler. He's had many opportunities and not produced, while the others (Willson, Toilolo, McDonald, Reed, etc) still have that tantalizing unknown factor.

With so many promising TE prospects, its hard to justify a roster spot on Housler. He's had many opportunities and not produced, while the others (Willson, Toilolo, McDonald, Reed, etc) still have that tantalizing unknown factor.
You are aware he started the season banged up and now (assuming he's healthy) has produced 'decent' stats. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Of course I'm aware. That information is common knowledge. He still hasn't produced much more than average stats in his opportunities and has zero touchdowns to his name. Its hard to juatify keeping him rostered after holding him over two years. And actually, he's still sitting on the waiver wire in all three of my dynasties after I dropped him.

Of course I'm aware. That information is common knowledge. He still hasn't produced much more than average stats in his opportunities and has zero touchdowns to his name. Its hard to juatify keeping him rostered after holding him over two years. And actually, he's still sitting on the waiver wire in all three of my dynasties after I dropped him.
He's on the waiver wire now but if he scores a TD he's gonna be the "Yahoo Pickup of the Week". I'm frustrated as hell with the guy, too. But look how Larry Fitzgerald (an exceptional talent) has faired the past few years. That entire Offense has been a Fantasy Wasteland.

I feel like down the stretch we're gonna see whether or not Housler has the goods or not. There's really not much of an excuse if he doesn't produce now (or at least look decent on film).

EDIT: Catching 7 passes is actually really promising for me. His longest catch of the season is 23 yards which is alarming. If he can catch a 30 - 40 yard gainer by the end of the season, that will be very promising to me. But without those big plays, he's going to need to see a HIGH VOLUME of targets to be a TE2; especially since he hasn't proved to be a RZ threat.

Users who are viewing this thread