What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housler Hype (3 Viewers)

looked good last week but heap should be back.
Really? looked good dropping two passes he should have caught? I didn't think so but ...... :confused:
One drop was a horrible pass that he almost came down with for a acrobatic TD. The rest of the game he was getting screen passes and bulling over people like he was Percy Harvin. Buffalo isn't a threat so my fingers are crossed for a TD
not sure if we were watching the same game hook. i'd have to go back but am 99.9% sure shahbucks is right. and i think it was the next play where kolb went back to him, housler gained yards after the catch with physicality and a legit cutback..

He is one of those guys that I have heard a lot about but not seen since he has had such limited opportunities but I was very impressed with him. Word is he can't block so that is why he isn't used as much as he should. He barely played in the 2nd half I am sure in an attempt to protect Kolb better. I don't know why anyone ever buys in to the Heap hype, he will be hurt again next week.

He is one of those guys that I have heard a lot about but not seen since he has had such limited opportunities but I was very impressed with him. Word is he can't block so that is why he isn't used as much as he should. He barely played in the 2nd half I am sure in an attempt to protect Kolb better. I don't know why anyone ever buys in to the Heap hype, he will be hurt again next week.
I've heard different things about his blocking.Pre-draft his blocking was considered suspect by NFL standards. But someone in the Rams game was commenting that he was doing a good job blocking and he is in his 2nd year. So that perception of him may be a bit dated.Either way, he's starting to show himself as a weapon. On a team looking for anything resembling an offensive spark, he may actually have some leverage, so to speak, to get more looks. And that staff doesn't have to look to far to see other teams that use an athletic TE to their advantage even though he may not be the strongest blocker.

I've heard different things about his blocking.Pre-draft his blocking was considered suspect by NFL standards. But someone in the Rams game was commenting that he was doing a good job blocking and he is in his 2nd year. So that perception of him may be a bit dated.Either way, he's starting to show himself as a weapon. On a team looking for anything resembling an offensive spark, he may actually have some leverage, so to speak, to get more looks. And that staff doesn't have to look to far to see other teams that use an athletic TE to their advantage even though he may not be the strongest blocker.
Good to know, thanks. He's also someone that I don't own but I am watching and it always seems you get sniped playing the waiting game on guys like Housler. Now might be the time to stash him.

Seems to be an intriguing under-the-radar option, but hard to imagine he'll get that many targets in this offense.

The Cards generally don't use the TE much, and with Fitz and Roberts getting most of the targets, along with a handful to Doucet and Floyd, will there be much left over?

Housler had 5 REC for 54 Yards. Not exactly knocking your socks off. But maybe some potential there right? :ph34r: :football:

Does anyone (homers or in the know) know if he is starting or just being used in (2) TE sets?

Housler had 5 REC for 54 Yards. Not exactly knocking your socks off. But maybe some potential there right? :ph34r: :football: Does anyone (homers or in the know) know if he is starting or just being used in (2) TE sets?
On most days, he doesn't start, J.King gets the nod. He does however see the majority of snaps (usually around 60%). In the Jimmy Graham thread, I conjectured that Housler might get a bump with Skelton under center. Skelton did seem to be using him as a safety valve. His targets, receptions and yards were all season highs so there definitely seems like there's room to grow.

Housler had 5 REC for 54 Yards. Not exactly knocking your socks off. But maybe some potential there right? :ph34r: :football: Does anyone (homers or in the know) know if he is starting or just being used in (2) TE sets?
On most days, he doesn't start, J.King gets the nod. He does however see the majority of snaps (usually around 60%). In the Jimmy Graham thread, I conjectured that Housler might get a bump with Skelton under center. Skelton did seem to be using him as a safety valve. His targets, receptions and yards were all season highs so there definitely seems like there's room to grow.
If he continues to get the targets that he did today then he's a must-add IMO. The guy has the potential to be a great receiving TE, but I'm not so sure that he'll get consistent targets. Definitely worth adding in deeper leagues, but in 12 team leagues I'd probably just add him to my watch list for next week.

I just lost Fred Davis in my 32 team Dyn league. So my only other TE on my team is Housler. My season hangs in the balance on this guy. Yikes.

Does anyone know where Rob Housler was on Sunday? :stalker: :scared: He certainly wasn't in the game or was either blocking all day or his QB's couldnt find him. I think this kid has some good upside. But with a shotty O-line and inconsistant QB play. It will take a new QB for next year to get to see his potential fully realized.

I have him in Dynasty. And will give him next year to see what he does. After that its see ya wouldn't want to be ya.

Does anyone know where Rob Housler was on Sunday? :stalker: :scared: He certainly wasn't in the game or was either blocking all day or his QB's couldnt find him. I think this kid has some good upside. But with a shotty O-line and inconsistant QB play. It will take a new QB for next year to get to see his potential fully realized. I have him in Dynasty. And will give him next year to see what he does. After that its see ya wouldn't want to be ya.
There are some teams where good offensive players could be buried forever and ever and...

I forget where, but I read a blurb today about how housler just had a breakout season. I was surprised at first, and after looking at his stats I don't really see how it was a breakout year. I don't watch many cardinals games though, is there something I'm missing here?

I forget where, but I read a blurb today about how housler just had a breakout season. I was surprised at first, and after looking at his stats I don't really see how it was a breakout year. I don't watch many cardinals games though, is there something I'm missing here?
I can see where someone would consider it a stretch to call it a break out especially since he played a few more games than last season and had more chances to start with Heap out but he did go from 12 catches to 45.So that alone is significant improvement but if you frame it in the context of the offense it's a little more encouraging. Compared to Fitz his catch percentage was full 10% higher and he averaged more than a yard per attempt more. So of course Fitz drew constant attention but Housler still had a higher catch % than Roberts, Floyd, Doucet and King. Housler, Floyd and Roberts were all within half a yard of each other in yards per attempt bettering Fitz, Doucet and King by better than a yard.So he increased his catches and yards around 350% and was one of if not the most efficient pass options on the team. Certainly not a breakout fantasy season but I can see some merit in labeling it a breakout.

Rob Housler: Arians praises Rob HouslerRob Housler - TE - ARZ - Mar. 26 - 7:53 pm etCardinals coach Bruce Arians said he considered drafting TE Rob Housler as a "big wide receiver" when he was with the Steelers.Arians went on to call the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "mismatch," echoing comments GM Steve Keim made in January. Freed from Todd Heap's injury-prone shadow, Housler will be squarely on the TE1 radar this season provided the Cardinals find someone who can do a decent impression of a quarterback. Mar. 26 - 7:53 pm etSource: azcardinals.com

How often does Palmer utilize his TE? Seems he used Myers last year a fair amount. Could be good for Housler this year.
He hasn't been known for throwing to TE's but he hasn't played with many good ones. Cincy was a fantasy wasteland until they drafted Gresham, who had 50 catches his rookie year with Palmer.

Why is everyone (ok, not Jeff T) so down on Housler - #27 dynasty TE?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. he's not very much of a threat after the catch

2. Cardinals have Roberts and now Swope who are both excellent out of the slot and Housler is no in-line TE

3. Palmer didn't have anyone remotely as good as Fitz last year in Oakland, so hopes for a ton of dumpoffs a la Myers might be unfounded

4. When I am looking for TEs to stash on my bench, I rate ceiling over floor. While Housler might have a decently high bye/inj TE2 floor this year, his ceiling is low TE1/high TE2 at best

2. Cardinals have Roberts and now Swope who are both excellent out of the slot and Housler is no in-line TE

3. Palmer didn't have anyone remotely as good as Fitz last year in Oakland, so hopes for a ton of dumpoffs a la Myers might be unfounded

4. When I am looking for TEs to stash on my bench, I rate ceiling over floor. While Housler might have a decently high bye/inj TE2 floor this year, his ceiling is low TE1/high TE2 at best
No offense, but I think #1 and #4 are completely backwards.

IMO, he's very much a threat after the catch and it's his ceiling that is appealing, not his floor.

ETA--

IMO, he's very much a threat after the catch and it's his ceiling that is appealing, not his floor.

ETA--

He broke one horrendous tackle attempt by Mikell and made one good move to cut back against the grain and gain about 5 extra yards on that reel. He also used some burst to avoid Dahl and get an extra yard or two and did something similar against a linebacker, again resulting in a few extra yards.

On the other hand, downfield in a one-on-one situation he showed no elusiveness instincts at all and pretty much ran into the tackler and stumbled when he had a chance to break a big play down the sidelines vs the Packers.

Housler has above average speed for his size and good hands. He is relatively strong after the catch and a decently coordinated and fluid athlete.

Can he catch 50-60 balls this year? Sure, why not. Will he ever be dynamic or dangerous enough to be more than that in an offense? I don't think so. Way upthread I compared him to Dante Rosario, and I'll stand by that. He just happens to be in a situation with more opportunity than Rosario ever had.

ETA--

Your analysis very well could be spot on, I haven't seen enough of Housler to contribute too heavily one way or the other. That said, the bolded comments above have me scratching my head. Seems like #2 and #3 are implying Housler's situation really isn't that great... and then the Rosario comment indicates that same situation could be the only thing making a mediocre talent like Housler potentially productive (or somewhat productive at least).

ETA--

The main part of the situation that helps Housler is that the Cardinals don't have a tight end that will push him for playing time in the receiving TE role on what looks to be a pass-first team - Rosario never had as clear a path to production as Housler has this year. That being said, the addition of Swope and continued development of Roberts could cut into Housler's targets as a receiver working the middlle of the field.

I've also seen some equating Housler's situation this year to Myers last year - hence bringing up 3.

Bottom line is this - whether in redraft or dynasty, I think guys like Jordan Cameron, Dwayne Allen are better targets in trades/drafts. Housler is right above Lewis and Celek and right below Heath Miller and Fred Davis in our consensus dynasty rankings. That sounds about right to me.

Housler has above average speed for his size
4.46 at 248 pounds... tough crowd!
I was going to respond the same but figured there wasn't any point. I watch those videos and see a TE with exceptional burst for a man his size. Bloom saw a guy that couldn't beat a one on one despite being surrounded by defenders on most throws or having to reach behind for poorly thrown balls.

Time will tell.

watch him play. pad speed, not track speed. he's not a burner between the sidelines. he doesn't look significantly faster than Allen, who timed much lower.
If I was willing to spend the time I could probably find you four or five instances where Housler was streaking down the seam WFO beyond the linebacker or safety who was supposed to have him in coverage, only to have Kevjohn Skeltolb overthrow him. The next time I see Allen do that will be the first.

watch him play. pad speed, not track speed. he's not a burner between the sidelines. he doesn't look significantly faster than Allen, who timed much lower.
If I was willing to spend the time I could probably find you four or five instances where Housler was streaking down the seam WFO beyond the linebacker or safety who was supposed to have him in coverage, only to have Kevjohn Skeltolb overthrow him. The next time I see Allen do that will be the first.
Off but on topic, why did you sell him to me for a 2014 2nd?

JPeso said:
wdcrob said:
Off but on topic, why did you sell him to me for a 2014 2nd?
Well, if Palmer had been there the price would have been higher. But I sold because I like the guys I've already got (Cook, Gates, L Green) and feel like I can pick up a decent TE with a late 2nd or 3rd most years. And I don't think Housler is a top end TE1. I do think he's being undersold by Sig though.

FWIW, I tried to move him for a long time in HA4 and another league and couldn't get a 2nd except your (presumably) late 2014.

Before Housler got hurt last year in week 15, he was averaging 5.5 receptions and 46 yards in his last 6 games (excluding the Falcons game where he inexplicably had zero targets).

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talked up Rob Housler's pass-catching ability at OTAs.
As expected, Housler is working as Arizona's first-team tight end. Arians described Housler as "a wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise." Housler is 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds with 4.55 speed. Arians has never made a habit of heavy tight end involvement in the passing game, but Housler is talented enough to buck the trend.

Source: Arizona Republic

Before Housler got hurt last year in week 15, he was averaging 5.5 receptions and 46 yards in his last 6 games (excluding the Falcons game where he inexplicably had zero targets).
I can't tell if you think that's a positive or a negative.

8 yards per reception for a guy with 4.50 speed? Zero TDs in 27 games? It's tough to see him as a difference maker.

8 yards per reception for a guy with 4.50 speed? Zero TDs in 27 games? It's tough to see him as a difference maker.
Let's judge Fitzgerald for his ####ty production last year, too.

it's a solid point. palmer made myers look good. housler can be somebody this year.

Fitzgerald last 27 games... 1782 yards, 10 TDs, 14.4 yards per catch.

Fitzgerald last 27 games... 1782 yards, 10 TDs, 14.4 yards per catch.
that's almost 2 seasons. lackluster for him.

Rotoworld:

AzCardinals.com considers TE Rob Housler the team's most likely breakout candidate.
Reporter Darren Urban predicts Housler could snag upwards of 60 passes after posting a 45/417/0 line in 2012. That may be on the conservative side for some of Housler's biggest backers, but would still put him squarely in the TE1 conversation. New coach Bruce Arians has called the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise."

Source: azcardinals.com

we have, have u seen his ADP this yr?

this will be the year of taking it to the houseler brohans and you can take that to the bankler bromigos

(Rotoworld)AzCardinals.com considers TE Rob Housler the team's most likely breakout candidate.

Analysis: Reporter Darren Urban predicts Housler could snag upwards of 60 passes after posting a 45/417/0 line in 2012. That may be on the conservative side for some of Housler's biggest backers, but would still put him squarely in the TE1 conversation. New coach Bruce Arians has called the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise."

Users who are viewing this thread