What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Singular Musical Performance of All Time (2 Viewers)

During the summer of 2017, Phish played in residency at MSG for thirteen shows over seventeen nights. The “Baker’s Dozen” could be viewed as a cohesive multi-night career retrospective in which the band performed 237 distinct songs, no repeats. The greatest singular music performance in history, stretched over half a month. Time turned elastic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/phishs-bakers-dozen-residency-breaking-down-all-13-blissful-nights-197436/amp/

Sweet. There was a documentary on my local PBS last month on SRV that covered Antone's in depth. It showed how he got his first own band going ... can't remember the name now. Anyways, the singer was smokin'!

I think I would really dig Austin. And if I ever get there, Antone's is a must. 👍
Antone's still kicking and hosting great shows.  Gary Clark, Jr. pretty much grew up there under the wing of Jimmy Vaughn.

i'd be surprised if she didn't prefer this version. it was immense and scary - Miss Garland was all over the TV in the 50s & early 60s and you never knew if you were going to get the talent which amazed the Greatest Gen as much as Hendrix amazed the Boomers or a musical imitation of a nervous breakdown. sometimes both, actually. anyway, my mother hated Judy Garland but her sister loved her and one of the things i liked best when i used to get farmed out to my Auntie Glo for Feb vaca was when she'd go to work for her two hours at a curio shop and i'd get out her gin & Judy records and sing along til i was almost gay. i actually preferred this but the one you cite was always the one that would draw either a bravura or bananas version from Garland when she was on TV
Oh, honey.  Don't sell yourself short.  

The Who, Concert for New York City. They took it down on youtube. Performed just after 9/11. So great. You have to rent it now I guess.

Maybe not the best of all time but my favorites:

Tom Petty Bridge School performance  It's says Shoreline but this is Bridge School. The whole thing is gold. Just before Wildflowers came out.

The National Tiny Desk Concert

Wilco Tiny Desk Concert
Elton John's Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters from the Concert for New York is as good as anything I've ever seen anybody do, particularly in context. That should be public domain.

Elton John's Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters from the Concert for New York is as good as anything I've ever seen anybody do, particularly in context. That should be public domain.
Sir Elton's got many contenders. I was trying to find and post video of his "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" from the famous 1975 Dodger Stadium show, but I came up empty.

Operation Ivy at Gilman, sometime in 87 I think, I know it was early on for the venue and the band because it wasn't complete mayhem. No video, but I can still hear and feel it in my head.  

Sir Elton's got many contenders. I was trying to find and post video of his "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" from the famous 1975 Dodger Stadium show, but I came up empty.
I'm not a huge Elton fan, but as far as a song for a time and place, performed flawlessly, that Mona Lisas is hard to beat.

I'm a music geek, but I can't pick one favorite (but Otis comes close).

Thought exercise: Instead of picking my favorite performance of all-time, what if a genie granted me a wish that I could hang out with Beethoven in an alternate universe for an afternoon, where heretofore he'd never heard anything from the 19th century on?  What would I put on my playlist?

Charlie Parker makes the cut:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbeCab1gqZA ... I  vaguely recall having my mind blown by a Charlie Parker recording, but I can't pinpoint which one.

Comments:

• In my mind, Judy Garland has always been great, in a Smithsonian kind of way;  but today, thanks to this thread, I blared her youtubes for about three hours this morning and fell in love.
  • I've said it before, but watching this when I was seven years-old transformed me - Width of a Circle
  • For @AAABatteries: Ribbit

Oh jeebus, I’m an idiot.  Of course.

ETA:  I think my favorite Otis performance is from somewhere in Europe, though.  I’ll have to look it up when I’m less sleepy - Paris, maybe?  I can picture it, and it was insane.  “Try a Little Tenderness” in particular.
I think this from Norway is the one I wanted, though I seemed to recall more fainting in the audience.  Be sure to watch all the way through as he comes back for another minute or so.

In looking for that, I also found this.  Of course, this is one of my two favorites of his songs.

I've given up on the idea that there will ever be a voice this good again.

Users who are viewing this thread