What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (3 Viewers)

I suppose it's possible that he's completely different from every description we've ever heard of the guy and when the cop gave him a direction he said "Nah, I don't think I'm going to do that" and drove away.

But I completely doubt it.
You doubt that an uber wealthy athlete may think that certain rules aren't for him? I can certainly imagine a scenario where a cop tells him to not drive a certain way, and he was maybe like "nah, doesn't this guy know who I am? And decides to drive around anyway"

Obviously, still not much information. But that he dragged the cop 15-20 yards seems to be somewhat confirmed by Darlington.

His defense so far was that he didn't know it was a cop. I can understand that. With the neon green vests, it would be hard to tell they were cops.

But that still begs the question, just who the heck did he think he was dragging with his car for 15-20 yards?

So, at the site where a maintenance worker was killed by a shuttle bus for a golf tournament, a golfer drug a person 15 yards assuming it was "just" a working class person. And that's his best defense.

I won't say more because I'm already too close to PSF type stuff, but if Scottie drug somebody 15 yards with his car, I'd love to know who he thought that human being was and in what circumstance that would be okay.
Meh.

Or a guy following the orders given to him by the cops along the way saw a dude freak out at him, so he said the cops told me to go this way and showed his credential, not thinking much of it, and then realized the guy had latched onto his freaking car and stopped. At even 5mph 15 yards happens pretty quickly…
15 yards is about 3 car lengths.
Yes, thats my point.

I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

Really? How could you possibly be SURE of that.

Obviously we dont know exactly what "the officer attached himself to the car" means. (and if he was holding on and Scottie kept driving and dragged him, that's obviously not ok) but 99.9999% chance this was just a misunderstanding compounded with it being dark and rainy and things just got out of hand. I seriously doubt Scottie just said "Oh well....gotta get to the putting green" and slalomed through a police barricade doing 30.
I'll tell you why...for the exact reasons I cannot even believe I'm reading...
In this day and age where police are under scrutiny to start with, I assume if it got to that level and they told everyone watching that he was going to jail no getting around it, figured he did not do exactly what they asked or expected of him.
We're talking about the #1 golfer in the world and we've seen what Tiger has done in the past, I put nothing pat golfers, played 18 holes a week ago and saw some crazy stuff while I was out there, just assumed but OK, let's give SS the benefit of the doubt, sure

-I live in Jupiter/Palm Beach, golf capital it seems and I run/part-owner of a small craft beer store on the weekends, tons of golf folks in the store when I'm there...they can be very assumptive sometimes because they seem to have the funds to make any issues go away

Just my experiences

Ok....so because a bunch of schmuck weekend hackers and rich Florida people acted like idiots.....you're SURE that Scottie Scheffler (who before this incident had a SPOTLESS record of conduct and by all accounts is like the nicest guy on tour despite also being the best player) "drove like a maniac" and disrespected the police. A good history doesn't mean he maybe wasn't partially (or even totally. We dont know yet) in the wrong here.....but you're SURE?.....because "you put nothing past golfers"

Makes plenty of sense. :<_<:
Actually, most of the golfers until about now are largely made up of snowbirds from New York, are you familiar with that state?
Let's dial it down a notch, take it down a level and stop with the Florida bashing, think this took place in Kentucky
Normally a fan Telef but you are being a hot head for no particular reason

Cheers

I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

Obviously we dont know exactly what "the officer attached himself to the car" means. (and if he was holding on and Scottie kept driving and dragged him, that's obviously not ok) but 99.9999% chance this was just a misunderstanding compounded with it being dark and rainy and things just got out of hand. I seriously doubt Scottie just said "Oh well....gotta get to the putting green" and slalomed through a police barricade doing 30.
In this day and age where police are under scrutiny to start with, I assume if it got to that level and they told everyone watching that he was going to jail no getting around it, figured he did not do exactly what they asked or expected of him.
We're talking about the #1 golfer in the world and we've seen what Tiger has done in the past, I put nothing pat golfers, played 18 holes a week ago and saw some crazy stuff while I was out there, just assumed but OK, let's give SS the benefit of the doubt, sure

-I live in Jupiter/Palm Beach, golf capital it seems and I run/part-owner of a small craft beer store on the weekends, tons of golf folks in the store when I'm there...they can be very assumptive sometimes because they seem to have the funds to make any issues go away

Just my experiences

Ok....so because a bunch of schmuck weekend hackers and rich Florida people acted like idiots.....you're SURE that Scottie Scheffler (who before this incident had a SPOTLESS record of conduct and by all accounts is like the nicest guy on tour despite also being the best player) "drove like a maniac" and disrespected the police. A good history doesn't mean he maybe wasn't partially (or even totally. We dont know yet) in the wrong here.....but you're SURE?.....because "you put nothing past golfers"

Actually, most of the golfers until about now are largely made up of snowbirds from New York, are you familiar with that state?
Let's dial it down a notch, take it down a level and stop with the Florida bashing, think this took place in Kentucky

Cheers

You're the one who brought up the behavior of the golfers in your neck of the woods as some sort of weird "proof" that Scheffler probably did something wrong. (since....ya know...he's a golfer too) Not me. :shrug:

Your original stance was that you were "sure that Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident" and disrespected the police. The idea that you could be SURE of that was absurd man. Using behavior of local golfers (or Tiger Woods for that matter. What does one guy's behavior have to do with the other?) that you've seen to support that crazy statement made absolutely zero sense. Some drunk bros acting like idiots on the course "because Saturdays are for the Boys!!!11" means absolutely nothing when we're talking about what Scheffler may or may not have done.

And with all due respect (I have absolutely no issue with you at all. You're always a positive contributor to the Jets thread and generally a good sport IMO), you calling someone else a hothead is pretty much the definition of :potkettle:

Police dashcams must have caught that from forty different angles. Just wait for the movie, people.
Oh, hi, Mrs. Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the forum here.
Thanks, but I'm not sure I have. I just couldn't figure out what this was about. I stopped watching any golf when the Saudis decided to sports wash it. No "success" is worth that.

Police dashcams must have caught that from forty different angles. Just wait for the movie, people.

You’re assuming a police car was right there but I don’t think there was. They seemed to have to walk a decent way to load him into the police car.

I would say body cameras, but this guy was a detective and he had a high viz raincoat on. My guess is that he didn’t have a body cam.

If there WERE cameras and they back the police story and it looks bad for Scottie, you can bet we’ll see the video soon. If there were cameras and they make it clear that it was a misunderstanding and that the officer was overzealous, it will be a long long time (if ever) before that video comes out.

I can pretty much guess what the video will look like:

It’s dark and raining out
Sheffler pulls around the bus to pull into facility. I’d assume he was moving pretty slowly.
Cop walks up to car to tell him that he can’t do that. Presumably he doesn’t recognize the car as an official vehicle.
Sheffler keeps moving, presumably because he didn’t recognize this guy was a cop and he had been told that he could do that by someone else.
The cop, for reasons unknown, grabs onto the car and continues to yell at him. I can’t imagine any good reason that the cop would do that.
Sheffler may or may not be aware that the cop actually grabbed on to his car, but eventually stops. The cop at some point falls off of the car and scrapes up his leg.

I don’t really think the video will do much to clear up who was in the wrong here.

Just my experiences

Cheers

You're the one who brought up the behavior of the golfers in your neck of the woods as some sort of weird "proof" that Scheffler probably did something wrong. (since....ya know...he's a golfer too) Not me. :shrug:

Your original stance was that you were "sure that Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident" and disrespected the police. The idea that you could be SURE of that was absurd man. Using behavior of local golfers (or Tiger Woods for that matter. What does one guy's behavior have to do with the other?) that you've seen to support that crazy statement made absolutely zero sense. Some drunk bros acting like idiots on the course "because Saturdays are for the Boys!!!11" means absolutely nothing when we're talking about what Scheffler may or may not have done.

And with all due respect (I have absolutely no issue with you at all. You're always a positive contributor to the Jets thread and generally a good sport IMO), you calling someone else a hothead is pretty much the definition of :potkettle:
Not proof friend, just my experience
It doesn't mean nothing, you're right
But it's all true the way I tell it

You paint it how you like but if you scroll up to where @IvanKaramazov and I had our exchange you can clearly see I am speaking both sides

I'm just asking you to relax, it feels like I'm taking heat for even thinking about the backing the police, if you read it slowly I think you might find I lean more towards your side
It just feels like the "MoP" is a lightning rod at the moment, we'll do our best to not pour gas on open fires but please, just take the dutchie from my hands and relax

-If you say the cops were jack holes, OK...I feel like had I backed SS blindly, I woulda taken heat for that.
I was just trying to have fun at the expense of the #1 golfer in the World, let's have a little perspective and not get all up in arms

Again, i thank you and love your work in the Jets threads

Last edited:
cop didnt have his body cam on per the mayor take that to the bank brohans
Follow-up needs to be finding out what department policy is and if having the body cam off is consistent with department policy. If so, pressure needs to be put on them to change that by their citizens. If not, they should throw the whole thing out.

Follow-up needs to be finding out what department policy is and if having the body cam off is consistent with department policy. If so, pressure needs to be put on them to change that by their citizens. If not, they should throw the whole thing out.
Surely they’re not going to try to run this charge out…the Mayor probably stepped in.

Surely they’re not going to try to run this charge out…the Mayor probably stepped in.

Arraignment is Tuesday. Will they drop the charges by then? Seems like time served is enough here. Especially with no body cam to say otherwise.

Just my experiences

Cheers
This is rich coming from MOP. 😂

• 2nd degree assault on officer
  • 3rd degree criminal mischief
  • Reckless driving
  • Disregarding traffic signals from an officer direction traffic
The irony that JB threw this up a few weeks ago, I never thought I'd see this even after reading the news feed on Scheffler this morning
Sounds like he simply didn't want to wait and tried to drive around the accident since he's the #1 golfer in the world and the police were hell bent on taking him away

-Don't think any officer was actually hurt or injured so the charges should mostly go away, he might have to do some community service
You don't REALLY think it sounds that way, right? I mean I know you're MOP but still ...
It's a little bit of both...on one hand I say the police were hell bent...nobody reads that part of course
Then I place the blame at the #1 golfer in the world with money to burn right now...

People seem to miss my ability to walk a fine line around here
Just par for the course when you're MoP
:lol:
You are the king of the self gloss.

I can see it being off for routine traffic control duty, but if you're going to make "any" arrest during that duty it should be switched on.

Arraignment is Tuesday. Will they drop the charges by then? Seems like time served is enough here. Especially with no body cam to say otherwise.
Seems you are diminishing what happened to the officers pants.
Everybody's talkin' bout my
ripped pants, I got my ripped pants, I
got my ripped pants off.

Unrelated but if you say pants I’m gonna think of that video
I was thinking this one:

not many people know this but old bert farve cheated on his wife and then cheated on wisconsin and is a huge piece of crap and listening to him sing about pants on the ground only highlights that he is a wiener texter who would gladly steal the pants of the underprivileged and actually did that take that to the bank bromigos

Just my experiences

Cheers
This is rich coming from MOP. 😂
It's MoP being MoP. His schtick is known on many a board.

Yo it's insane, can't believe it but Louisville mayor said body cams weren't active during the Sheffler incident. LOL.

not many people know this but old bert farve cheated on his wife and then cheated on wisconsin and is a huge piece of crap and listening to him sing about pants on the ground only highlights that he is a wiener texter who would gladly steal the pants of the underprivileged and actually did that take that to the bank bromigos

See My Dong
I guess in some ways, it's too bad he wasn't playing in Buffalo.

And I now have an earworm that's really unnecessary.

Yo it's insane, can't believe it but Louisville mayor said body cams weren't active during the Sheffler incident. LOL.
I'm not sure why they would be. They were dealing with a fatality accident.
I think because they’re literally supposed to be on at any time they’re performing the duties of a police officer in public? If dealing with a fatality accident isn’t part of their duties then why were they there?

I think because they’re literally supposed to be on at any time they’re performing the duties of a police officer in public? If dealing with a fatality accident isn’t part of their duties then why were they there?
I don't know a lot about police procedure, but I could see this as a situation where cameras are incorrectly not in use. Nobody expects any trouble while handling traffic at a sporting event in the early morning.

I'm a big fan of body cameras. They protect the public from the police and vice versa. But cops are still human beings and they don't always comply with every rule when they are in zero-pressure situations.

Reactions: Zow
i believe it has been reported that it was a violation of department procedure that the camera was not in use and im sure every cop on that force knows the procedure well given that forces history take that to the bank brohans

So scheffler committed to playing colonial next week so that's fun. Getting arraigned Tues. If a felony charge still, they may ask him to surrender his passport putting his British in jeopardy.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I don't know a lot about police procedure, but I could see this as a situation where cameras are incorrectly not in use. Nobody expects any trouble while handling traffic at a sporting event in the early morning.

I'm a big fan of body cameras. They protect the public from the police and vice versa. But cops are still human beings and they don't always comply with every rule when they are in zero-pressure situations.
Seems like there would be a lot of situations where nobody expects trouble but there is trouble that happens anyway. That's why the procedure is to always have them on. This was a major sporting event I'm sure with enhanced security. A number of things could have happened even if maybe the odds of them happening could be considered relatively low.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Okay, so I've had my own golf tournament this weekend to focus on, but this story focuses on two of the three main focuses in my life: criminal law and golf. So, while I sip my coffee and wake myself up for my round today, I'll chime in with some thoughts.

1. Body-worn cameras are incredible (I've shared some experiences in other threads) and, since they came out in the late 2000s, have really improved criminal law (initially, there was a significant privacy interest concern). There are two main makes and models that I'm aware of and they both function similarly and most departments have the same to similar policies. So, the way they work is that an officer should check the functionality of the camera before his or her shift and then ensure that it remains functional throughout their shift. But, functioning is not the same as on. If the cameras were on constantly, their batteries would likely die before the end of the officer's shift (especially if the officer is working 10s or 12s or OT). Also, as somebody who has to access the database for these videos, the servers would be exploding with data overload and finding an incident would be like a needle in a haystack if these things recorded everything an officer did in his shift. So, the way these things were is that an officer needs to proactively hit one button to activate the camera (there is a separate button for just audio but most officers just do the video and audio button). One of the brands has this pretty nice feature whereby the prior 15 or 30 seconds of video only prior to the officer hitting the button are still recorded, but here it sounds like the officer didn't have a chance to turn his camera on. So, I find the lack of body camera footage to be disappointing but not surprising under the circumstances. Because...
2. Scottie's situation is pretty common. I say this because traffic cops tend to get a bit more alert and squirrely in situations where there is an accident or a construction zone because they are usually focused on protecting first responders or road workers who they obviously have heightened relationships with. So, when one combines this hypervigilance with the notion that (as supported by studies) the average driver is a creature of habit and naturally makes poor decisions when encountering something unexpected on the road (such as a change in traffic pattern), these sorts of situations regularly occur. I'd note further that it's likely this traffic cop was pulled from his normal duties and quickly assigned because of the fatality, probably wasn't instructed on protocols for players entering Valhalla (he also clearly didn't know who Scottie was), and simply reacted quickly and over-the-top when this car possibly didn't do what it was supposed to.
3. Similarly, you have Scottie who at 5:30 AM when it's dark, raining, and there's a change in traffic pattern where unbeknownst to him somebody just died, and he is probably focused on winning a major, isn't paying 100% attention to the road, and just assumed he'd flash his badge like he always down and he gets the right of way because he's a player. Note: I've also attended enough PGA and LPGA events to know that the players get special treatment driving into the facility. As such, I think it's quite believable from him that he didn't know it was a cop that was trying to get him to stop.
4. But, even if Scottie did know it was a cop, even if Scottie decided that he was special, didn't have to obey the rules and the cop, and even if he knowingly drug the cop a bit I strongly suggest it shouldn't change your perception of him. I say this because, unlike Disney movies which define people as either good or evil, most crimes are committed by otherwise good people who could be having a bad day or made a singular terrible choice, may have addiction problems, or may have some mental health issues outside of their control. I've been defending people now for 18 or so years and have encountered thousands of criminal defendants. In doing so I've spent hundreds of hours in jails or prisons (including my state's death row) and I have only encountered two individuals that I believe to be actually "evil" and not somebody I'd be comfortable alone with. In other words, even if you side with law enforcement here, cut Scottie some slack.
5. Now, on the flip side, similar to criminal defendants I've spent the last 18 years or so regularly dealing with police officers. In my experience, most officers are good, generally honest, and mean well. I find them collectively to be no different that any other profession whereby the majority of those professionals mean well, try to do well, and aren't just got intending to arrest innocent people. But, like any collection of humans amounting to an adequate sample size, there are a few bad ones (yeah, I recognize this sounds very much like the otherwise unsatisfactory cliche of "just a few bad apples" but this honestly reflects my experience). At this point, we don't know enough about the arresting officer to say he belongs in that much smaller bucket so, like Scottie, I'd suggest giving him the benefit of the doubt as well.
6. The above paragraph notwithstanding, this situation - highlighting specifically the officer's ridiculous description of "attaching [himself] to the car" (which reminds me of the silly "I performed a tactical maneuver and escorted the suspect to the ground" description for body-slamming somebody)and the absolute double-down involved in the department's official statement - demonstrates probably my biggest pet peeve that law enforcement regularly does (obviously, police brutality and outright dishonesty are worse, but they aren't "regular"). I assume they do it because of the natural human inclination to be "right," but I find it stupid and, as a defense attorney with a ton of winning trial experience (trying to say that modestly), when officers do this the embellishment usually gets exposed and taints what may have been an otherwise valid charge. For example, just last week I won a jury trial probably because the police did, at trial, tried to overplay some facts believing it would increase their chances of a conviction (even though that's not really their job - they're just supposed to report facts objectively). In short, the arresting officers believed my client committed X (they were probably right) but when they couldn't get enough evidence to charge X they switched gears and tried to mount a case for charge Y, and in trying to prove charge Y they oversold and embellished some facts which allowed me to cut sharply at their credibility and win the trial. Unfortunately, it sounds like the Louisville PD is no different and that's disappointing.
7. As to the charges, they sound serious but really don't require that crazy of facts. For example, aggravated assault in most states, which can be a very serious Felony, really only requires some reckless act whereby an officer is literally touched (and what would otherwise be a low-level assault gets aggravated because of the officer's status) and incurs some small injury even if said injury wasn't intended.
8. That said, this situation demonstrates the common situation whereby the state (police + prosecutors) overcharge the situation by in terms of seriousness of the offense and number of the offenses with the intention of pleading the case down later to a much more reasonable result. What's interesting about the Scottie situation though is that the state is kind of stuck in my opinion with its original charge and an outright dismissal may expose them to civil liability so I can see this situation resolving with some sort of diversion or deferral type agreement where Scottie probably pays a fine, maybe takes a traffic class, and the matter is dismissed provided Scottie remains law-abiding for some number of months or some such. I say this because the state will probably want to get some sort of admission of out Scottie of some wrongdoing (which protects the state from a lawsuit) and Scottie, listening to advice from somebody like me, will want the guaranteed result which eliminates any real serious consequences.
9. Finally, as I say on here whenever we discuss some criminal case in the media, I strongly urge you to assume that, without a good video/audio of the incident, the only two people who really know what happened are Scottie and the officer and even their perceptions are probably tainted by subjectivity and self-preservation. I say this for two reasons. First, as somebody who has had cases published in both local and national media, the media never tells the entire story and oftentimes portrays an inaccurate story. This is not because the media is "fake news" or because they are intentionally misrepresenting the situation, but because their access to information is almost certainly limited and they are not trained lawyers who can interpret the situation correctly so they're likely just reporting what somebody else said about something that somebody else said or interpreted and the reporter, who is motivated to get a story out there, doesn't fully vet what's being said. As such, take anything you read about this with a massive grain of salt. Second, while I'm sure the eyewitness is being truthful, eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable because its subject to human flaw.

In sum, definitely discuss this situation because it's interesting but I strongly urge you to assume that none of us know nor will know what really happened and I wouldn't take this incident as a significant knock on either Scottie Scheffler's reputation or the reputation of law enforcement as a whole.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread