What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

George Soros and anti-Semitism (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy
There was a thread in here the other day about armed revolt or something that quickly got nuked. Anyway, in that thread there was a tangential discussion of George Soros, and @timschochet mentioned that a lot of the criticism Soros receives is anti-Semitic, which really seemed to set some other posters off, with one chiding Tim for "bringing religion into the discussion". The thing is, that was the second time in recent months that I'd seen posters ridiculing the idea that Soros is a victim of anti-Semitism. And I feel compelled to say: You guys have no idea what you're talking about. This isn't even a close call.

Let me get the obvious disclaimers out of the way: No, Soros -- as with every other person who tries to influence the political process -- is not exempt from criticism. Yes, it's possible to criticize him on non-anti-Semitic grounds, and plenty of people who do so have zero prejudicial intent.

But to minimize the role that anti-Semitism plays in his vilification, you would have to be willfully obtuse: The grotesque cartoons that are directly cribbed from historical anti-Semitic imagery. The conspiracy-minded elevation of him as a global mastermind controlling events behind the scenes, a classic anti-Semitic trope that was previously employed against the Rothschilds. The false smear that Soros, a Holocaust survivor, was actually a Nazi collaborator.

I know a lot of people will think, "Well, I'm criticizing him for non-anti-Semitic reasons, so I don't have to worry about what a bunch of bigots are saying." But that ignores the fact that prejudice is designed to operate at a subconscious level. The neo-Nazis may be up front about their Judeophobia, but when otherwise well-meaning people echo their language with phrases like "puppet master" and "monster", they're furthering the anti-Semites' agenda by affirming those stereotypes in people's minds. (And yes, I apply the same standard to the left. Like Soros, groups such as AIPAC are not above criticism, but IMO those on the left who oppose them have an obligation to not describe the organization in ways that echo the classic trope of Jews exerting outsized control over political systems.)

Think of it this way: There are some awful anti-Semites out there who spend their time thinking of ways to inject their poisonous beliefs into our political discourse. Don't allow yourself to be manipulated into being their unwitting assistants

I think it's a ridiculous stretch.  Soros acting like puppet-master isn't anti-semitic.  It's a realistic depiction.  I consume a ton of news, most of it from Conservative news sources.  I'd say I'm probably in the top 5% percentile of people who consume the most news - maybe higher - and I didn't even know George Soros was Jewish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridiculous stretch.  Soros acting like puppetmqaester isn't anti-semitic.  What the hell is wrong with you?   I consume a ton of news, most of it from Conservative news sources.  I'd say I'm probably in the top 5% percentile of people who consume the most news - maybe higher.  I didn't even know George Soros was Jewish.

You people are nuts.  You twist reality to fit your narrative.
So you don't think cartoons like this one are anti-Semitic? How about this one, which suggests that Soros himself is a puppet to the Rothschilds even as he controls US politicians? You don't think those images bear a suspicious resemblance to this or this? I wonder why, for centuries, wealthy Jews have repeatedly been portrayed as puppetmasters. Must just be a coincidence, huh? (In related news ...)

C'mon, EK, you're smarter than this. I think you reacted so defensively to the implication that you might be abetting anti-Semitism -- even unwittingly -- that it's left you denying a pretty obvious reality.

And for the record, I'm not trying to shut any discussion down. You're free to criticize Soros to your heart's content. I just ask that you not do so using the kind of images and metaphors that were once popular in Der Sturmer.

It's clearly a way to shut down conversation about the problems with an independent financier affecting state currencies, deliberately taking action to bring them down, funding left-wing causes and blocs all over the place. 

It's the same way people write or wrote about the Koch brothers. Deal with it. 

And no, I'm not going to be miraculously become an anti-Semite nor contribute to or perpetuate anti-Semitic tropes with criticisms of Soros. 

This really is a galling thread, simple in its logical fallacy, disgusting in its proscribing criticism of Soros because that might incidentally lead to someone somewhere having anti-Semitic thoughts. 

You asked why I all of the sudden out of the blue come down on you for certain things. It's idiocy like this. 

"Can't criticize Soros. Somewhere, somebody might have an anti-Semitic thought because of it!" 

You can poo-poo all you want the idea of an armed revolt, especially when we kind of already had one on 1/6.  The point of my thread (and I nuked it by the way) was that we are dangerously close to the #### hitting the fan.  The signs are all there - clear as a bell.  There's a tipping point where political strife turns violent, and it usually happens right after people lose faith in the Justice system.  And that is happening right now.  The Gallup poll that came out a couple weeks ago on American confidence in its institutions should be mandatory reading for anyone who cares about this country.  Gallup has been measuring many of these variables sine 1973, and some of the results are the worst ever recorded.  Here are some of the numbers - are you confident In...

• US Supreme Court - 25%
  • The Presidency - 23%
  • Newspapers - 16%
  • The Criminal Justice system - 14%
  • Television - 11%
  • Congress - 7%
Combine that with historic inflation, 2.5 years of a pandemic, geopolitical tensions and talk of nuclear war...  This is about as serious as it gets.  But rather than discuss all that - let's focus on George Soros and all those anti-semitic cartoon of him pulling strings.

It's strange. I remember when Norman Podhoretz accused William F. Buckley of being an anti-Semite. Podhoretz then went on to maintain that someone is anti-Semitic if they question Zionism or have anti-Zionist thoughts at times. You seem to maintain that it's any rich Jew is above reproach simply for the fact that they're Jewish. That's such a blatant removal of good faith from the table that I can't even fathom you'd credulously parrot this argument. 

It's clearly a way to shut down conversation about the problems with an independent financier affecting state currencies, deliberately taking action to bring them down, funding left-wing causes and blocs all over the place. 

It's the same way people write or wrote about the Koch brothers. Deal with it. 

1,000.000%

"Can't criticize Soros. Somewhere, somebody might have an anti-Semitic thought because of it!" 
You seem to maintain that it's any rich Jew is above reproach simply for the fact that they're Jewish.
That is literally the exact opposite of what I said, but go ahead create whatever strawmen you need to make yourself feel better.

Just so I'm clear on this, your position is that NONE of the criticism that Soros faces is anti-Semitic? Unlike you, I don't want to falsely accuse you of anything, but that seems to be the implication of what you're arguing

And no, I'm not going to be miraculously become an anti-Semite nor contribute to or perpetuate anti-Semitic tropes with criticisms of Soros. 

This really is a galling thread, simple in its logical fallacy, disgusting in its proscribing criticism of Soros because that might incidentally lead to someone somewhere having anti-Semitic thoughts. 

You asked why I all of the sudden out of the blue come down on you for certain things. It's idiocy like this. 

They are being unserious at a time in our nation's history that demands utmost seriousness.

That is literally the exact opposite of what I said,

Think of it this way: There are some awful anti-Semites out there who spend their time thinking of ways to inject their poisonous beliefs into our political discourse. Don't allow yourself to be manipulated into being their unwitting assistants

Your underestimation of people and how they form their opinions is low-rent and galling. 

So you don't think cartoons like this one are anti-Semitic? How about this one, which suggests that Soros himself is a puppet to the Rothschilds even as he controls US politicians? You don't think those images bear a suspicious resemblance to this or this? I wonder why, for centuries, wealthy Jews have repeatedly been portrayed as puppetmasters. Must just be a coincidence, huh? (In related news ...)

C'mon, EK, you're smarter than this. I think you reacted so defensively to the implication that you might be abetting anti-Semitism -- even unwittingly -- that it's left you denying a pretty obvious reality.

And for the record, I'm not trying to shut any discussion down. You're free to criticize Soros to your heart's content. I just ask that you not do so using the kind of images and metaphors that were once popular in Der Sturmer.
The first cartoon?  No.  NOT AT ALL.  The second one?  I think yes - because of the inclusion of Rothschild.  Anti-semitism exists out there.  Believe me - I fight that #### with more passion than just about anything else.

Look - sorry I'm all riled up on this Iggy.  You're a good dude.  I clearly need a break from these boards.  I am really concerned about the country right now.

Your underestimation of people and how they form their opinions is low-rent and galling. 
Sure, what reason would anyone have to believe that people are influenced by propaganda? It obviously never works, which is why no one ever attempts to use it.

If you are calling Soros a puppetmaster, yes, I believe you're being manipulated by anti-Semites. That doesn't mean that you yourself are anti-Semitic, it means you're being influenced.

weird thread, do you support this jelly?

"At a Tuesday meeting, a representative of Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascón told prosecutors that a long-held policy in which the office notifies victims of crime (or next of kin) that a parole hearing is scheduled for the inmate that harmed them or their loved ones, has been repealed."

"I"n 2018, billionaire oligarch George Soros funded the campaigns of leftist District Attorney challengers across the United States. In California alone, Soros spent $3,625,000 on DA races in Sacramento, San Diego, Alameda, Marin and Contra Costa counties.

Flash forward to 2020: Soros has already funded more than $2.5 million of George Gascón’s race for Los Angeles District Attorney. “

Gascon is an outright loon going through a recall phase right now, if I'm not mistaken. He's so radical that even the L.A. Tiimes basically supports his removal. They called him or his policies "crazy," again, if I'm not mistaken. 

I"n 2018, billionaire oligarch George Soros funded the campaigns of leftist District Attorney challengers across the United States. In California alone, Soros spent $3,625,000 on DA races in Sacramento, San Diego, Alameda, Marin and Contra Costa counties.

Flash forward to 2020: Soros has already funded more than $2.5 million of George Gascón’s race for Los Angeles District Attorney
It's disgusting how these people that Soros supports treat criminality in their communities. It's psychotic and crazy. 

weird thread, do you support this jelly?
I live in Miami. I have zero opinion on a district attorney on the opposite side of the country. 

If you read my original post and thought I was making an argument in favor of progressive DAs, you might want to re-read it.

The Anti-Semitism is off the charts

The relevance is uncanny

Evil Anti-semite pupettmaster

It's everywhere!!!

dude, its a puppet.....you are reading wayyyyyyy too much into this. A puppet master is an easy visual metaphor for someone who is controlling something from behind the scenes. Based on 1 or 2 historical cartoons you don't get to claim each and every use of the imagery to be exclusively against a single ideology. 

and for the record, I had no idea what Soros' religious background was. Yet I still don't trust him any more or less now that you pointed it out vs any other day in the past. 

This is fascinating.

Almost everytime I see a reference to George Soros out in the wild (which usually happens when I'm reading QAnon Twitter), it is pretty overtly anti-Semitic. So based on my own experience, I was shocked that the super boring, super obvious claim made in the OP ("a lot of the criticism Soros receives is anti-Semitic") was getting any pushback at all, much less vitriolic pushback.

But my own experience may have been the product of selection bias. I just searched Twitter for "Soros" and none of the first fifteen results were what I would consider anti-Semitic. (The sixteenth was.)

So maybe as a percentage of the criticism, the anti-Semitic subset actually doesn't constitute a lot?

Where does Soros live? 
Funny you should mention that. I actually spent three years in the '90s living in Budapest, Hungary, where Soros was originally from. That was how I first became familiar with him. (I remember seeing him a few times when I was playing pickup football games with my buddies in the city's main park and he was out for a walk). So I've been following his career for a long time. He's a fascinating figure. Hardly flawless, but also far from the bogeyman he's portrayed as. The biggest irony in portraying him as anti-capitalism is that the one system he did actually play a role in dismantling was communism. (Actually, I suppose the biggest irony is that he became a billionaire by being really good at capitalism).

Oh, and there actually is a Miami connection to Soros: He was recently in the news here for helping finance the purchase of a Spanish-language radio station notorious for spreading disinformation.

The first cartoon?  No.  NOT AT ALL.  The second one?  I think yes - because of the inclusion of Rothschild.  Anti-semitism exists out there.  Believe me - I fight that #### with more passion than just about anything else.

Look - sorry I'm all riled up on this Iggy.  You're a good dude.  I clearly need a break from these boards.  I am really concerned about the country right now.
Hey man, I get it. These are stressful times. (And for the record, I wasn't pooh-poohing your other thread. I had briefly skimmed through it, and while my immediate impression was that it was equal parts interesting and misguided, I hadn't really formed a full opinion before you pulled it. Only reason I brought it up was because that was where I saw the Soros discussion).

That's kind of fascinating that you don't see that first cartoon as anti-Semitic. I view it as blatantly so, and I feel pretty confident that most other Jews I know would say the same thing (and for the record, Fox News apparently agrees). Maybe it's just that, as Jews, we're more attuned to historical images, as well as subtle details like the dollar signs in his name (see, for example, how it's used in this cartoon, which is by the same guy who drew the Rothschild cartoon I linked to above).

Anyway, I don't want to argue the point back and forth with you, but if you have any close Jewish friends, I would be curious to hear their reactions if you showed them that cartoon.

I don’t believe anyone here is anti-Semitic. None of the criticism of Soros here that I’ve read is anti-Semitic. It certainly is elsewhere. And I think that’s what the the OP is arguing. 

Personally I have a great deal of respect for George Soros; I regard him as one of the world’s great heroes. Do I approve of everything he’s doing? Of course not. I’m not in love with some of these district attorneys either. But when you consider that the guy was fundamental to saving Eastern Europe from the continued horrors of communism, that seems like small potatoes. 

This is fascinating.

Almost everytime I see a reference to George Soros out in the wild (which usually happens when I'm reading QAnon Twitter), it is pretty overtly anti-Semitic. So based on my own experience, I was shocked that the super boring, super obvious claim made in the OP ("a lot of the criticism Soros receives is anti-Semitic") was getting any pushback at all, much less vitriolic pushback.
I had the same reaction. I get that people don't like Soros, and they also don't like being accused of any kind of association with bigotry. But I'm pretty sure @ekbeats is the only person in this thread to even acknowledge that Soros faces any anti-Semitism. The rest of them treat it like crazy talk.

But my own experience may have been the product of selection bias. I just searched Twitter for "Soros" and none of the first fifteen results were what I would consider anti-Semitic. (The sixteenth was.)

So maybe as a percentage of the criticism, the anti-Semitic subset actually doesn't constitute a lot?
I get what you're saying, but I view this as one of those situations where you need to bat pretty close to 1.000. I'm sure plenty of people dislike Soros for non-anti-Semitic reasons. But if large numbers of his critics are motivated by bigotry, even if they represent a minority of the total, I'm not inclined to dismiss the problem.

I had the same reaction. I get that people don't like Soros, and they also don't like being accused of any kind of association with bigotry. But I'm pretty sure @ekbeats is the only person in this thread to even acknowledge that Soros faces any anti-Semitism. The rest of them treat it like crazy talk.

I get what you're saying, but I view this as one of those situations where you need to bat pretty close to 1.000. I'm sure plenty of people dislike Soros for non-anti-Semitic reasons. But if large numbers of his critics are motivated by bigotry, even if they represent a minority of the total, I'm not inclined to dismiss the problem.

Is there bigotry in the left's portrayal and criticism of Clarence Thomas?

Ridiculous stretch.  Soros acting like puppetmqaester isn't anti-semitic.  What the hell is wrong with you?   I consume a ton of news, most of it from Conservative news sources.  I'd say I'm probably in the top 5% percentile of people who consume the most news - maybe higher.  I didn't even know George Soros was Jewish.

You people are nuts.  You twist reality to fit your narrative.
On the flip side, I’m probably in the bottom 5% of news consumption, but quite familiar with the connection. Same goes for puppet master images and antisemitism.

Oh definitely, and that should be called out, too. Again, all of these people are fair game for criticism, I just don't think you should do it using bigoted tropes. 

One thing I can promise you: If a leftist cartoonist ever draws an image of Thomas with an oversized grin eating a watermelon, I won't defend it by posting a bunch of pictures of watermelons and saying, "Are those racist, too?" (which certain people in this thread apparently believe is a slam-dunk argument).

Hey man, I get it. These are stressful times. (And for the record, I wasn't pooh-poohing your other thread. I had briefly skimmed through it, and while my immediate impression was that it was equal parts interesting and misguided, I hadn't really formed a full opinion before you pulled it. Only reason I brought it up was because that was where I saw the Soros discussion).

That's kind of fascinating that you don't see that first cartoon as anti-Semitic. I view it as blatantly so, and I feel pretty confident that most other Jews I know would say the same thing (and for the record, Fox News apparently agrees). Maybe it's just that, as Jews, we're more attuned to historical images, as well as subtle details like the dollar signs in his name (see, for example, how it's used in this cartoon, which is by the same guy who drew the Rothschild cartoon I linked to above).

Anyway, I don't want to argue the point back and forth with you, but if you have any close Jewish friends, I would be curious to hear their reactions if you showed them that cartoon.
It's all good Iggy.  We all form our opinions and worldview based on our own experiences.  You grew up in a Jewish family.  I didn't (though I've had a lot of close Jewish friends and they've actually referred to me as an Honorary Jew 😆).  In your life experiences it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that you were much more in-tune with historical anti-Semitic tropes than I was.  So I respect your opinion, and shouldn't have been as callous in dismissing it.

I dislike Soros because he funds Liberal Prosecutors who are screwing up the country.  That's all.  I wasn't aware he was Jewish, and I wasn't aware of all the great stuff he has done.  So if nothing else, I'm glad I learned that.

Take care my man.

There's a lot of latent anti-Semitism in the world, but it generally takes different forms and finds different avenues than Soros bashing. I'd be surprised if Soros's portrayal in American media has even come close to anti-Semitic. Our newspapers and editorial page cartoonists are notoriously woke when it comes to that. So unless they're talking about the plight of Palestinians, I hardly expect any of our newspapers to come close to anti-Semitism. Jews (unless they're being asked to atone for Israel and its policies in the West Bank, which is where you'll find the real anti-Semites these days) are pretty much off the table for criticism in American media, especially criticism using the historical tropes you mention. The cartoons you link are likely independent or European. That's my Spidey Sense about the whole thing. 

Oh definitely, and that should be called out, too. Again, all of these people are fair game for criticism, I just don't think you should do it using bigoted tropes. 

One thing I can promise you: If a leftist cartoonist ever draws an image of Thomas with an oversized grin eating a watermelon, I won't defend it by posting a bunch of pictures of watermelons and saying, "Are those racist, too?" (which certain people in this thread apparently believe is a slam-dunk argument).
I'll take that as a response to me for posting other cartoons with puppets and puppet masters. 

you based your OP around 2 cartoons of GS being a puppet master and aligned it to 1 cartoon from who knows when and called it "Directly cribbed from historical anti-Semitic imagery" You went on to claim that all references to being a puppet master had anti-semtic undertones which is simply not true. Just b/c a visual example was used in 1 anti-semetic instance you dont get to claim it's entire usage as anti-semetic when it fits your argument. 

And Yes, if someone drew Thomas eating a watermelon, no one would blame the watermelon from here on out. 

Funny you should mention that. I actually spent three years in the '90s living in Budapest, Hungary, where Soros was originally from. That was how I first became familiar with him. (I remember seeing him a few times when I was playing pickup football games with my buddies in the city's main park and he was out for a walk). So I've been following his career for a long time. He's a fascinating figure. Hardly flawless, but also far from the bogeyman he's portrayed as. The biggest irony in portraying him as anti-capitalism is that the one system he did actually play a role in dismantling was communism. (Actually, I suppose the biggest irony is that he became a billionaire by being really good at capitalism).

Oh, and there actually is a Miami connection to Soros: He was recently in the news here for helping finance the purchase of a Spanish-language radio station notorious for spreading disinformation.
You live in miami. You cant be bothered to care about a crazy DA in Los Angeles.

Soros lives in New York. He donated millions for a crazy DA in Los Angeles. 

Catchin what I am throwin here? 

Soros effectively funds overthrowing the criminal justice and capitalist system in America and should get a free pass because...you might be perpetuating anti-Semitic tropes? 

Oh my God. This should win a thread award.

Had no idea that Soros was a jew.    Don`t know much about hi but he is 91 years old.  What does he want at that age?

Drawing a cartoon of clarence thomas eating watermelon would 100% be racist. 

Because to my knowledge, Clarence thomas doesnt go around the country eating watermelons. So of course the motivation for the cartoon would be to draw a racist trope. 

But what if Clarence Thomas started buying watermelon farms all over the country and started changing the watermelon industry(if there even is such a thing, its a hypothetical) for the worse in many people's minds? 

Would all things having to do with watermelon be off limits just because, ya know, thats racist? 

Yes, an uncomfortable amount of it. (I don't know what a comfortable amount would be, but there's been more of it than that.)

On the flip side, I’m probably in the bottom 5% of news consumption, but quite familiar with the connection. Same goes for puppet master images and antisemitism.
This is where I fall.  I literally know both about him other then he’s a rich and boogeyman for the right.  Really no different then what I know about the Koch brothers, nothing, other then they’re rich and boogeymen for the left.  

This is where I fall.  I literally know both about him other then he’s a rich and boogeyman for the right.  Really no different then what I know about the Koch brothers, nothing, other then they’re rich and boogeymen for the left.  
Yep. I had never heard of him, but after his name was inserted nonsensically into several right-leaning posts, I read his Wikipedia page. I haven’t seen the Koch brothers reviled to quite the same degree, but that’s a pretty good comparison.

All we can hope at this stage is Soros influences the Miami DA election, then the OP can see firsthand how progressing DA’s operate.

Didn't know Soris identifies as Jewish and don't care. He is free to spend his money destroying the fabric of this country and I am free criticize his agenda as evil and destructive. 

I dislike Soros because he funds Liberal Prosecutors who are screwing up the country.  That's all.  I wasn't aware he was Jewish, and I wasn't aware of all the great stuff he has done.  So if nothing else, I'm glad I learned that.
I think what @ignatiusjreilly is saying is that the bolded is 100% fine.  What's not fine is referring to Soros as a puppet-master due to the 100+ years of anti-Semitic tropes in play.  To use the Clarence Thomas analogy brought up earlier, it would be fine to suggest that Clarence Thomas (repeatedly) makes poor decisions on the bench, but it would not be fine to refer to him as an Uncle Tom due to the 100+ years of racial tropes in play.  That all seems pretty reasonable.

I think what @ignatiusjreilly is saying is that the bolded is 100%.  What's not fine is referring to Soros as a puppet-master due to the 100+ years of anti-Semitic tropes in play.  To use the Clarence Thomas analogy brought up earlier, it would be fine to suggest that Clarence Thomas (repeatedly) makes poor decisions on the bench, but it would not be fine to refer to him as an Uncle Tom due to the 100+ years of racial tropes in play.  That all seems pretty reasonable.
Good analysis.  

This is fascinating.

I was about to post the opposite of this.  I hardly ever encounter references to George Soros these days -- that feels like a throwback to the early 2000s or something.  But the references that I remember weren't even remotely anti-Semitic.  The criticism directed at him that I recall from places like NRO was nearly indistinguishable from the same type of criticism directed at the Koch brothers, only a few years earlier.

But you've already spotted the difference.  I'm remembering National Review circa 2004.  You're looking at QAnon circa right now.  There's a very high likelihood that we're both right in our own way.  (I should pay more attention to the far right -- those folks are driving the party that figures to control all three branches of government in the near future, so being completely ignorant of what those people are talking about probably doesn't reflect very well on my civic knowledge.  But these people are just nuts.  I'm completely down with weird eccentrics who worry about things like the simulation hypothesis, but people on the American far right manage to be both crazy and boring simultaneously, and I can't abide that combination.)

Users who are viewing this thread