What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former WSU WR Marquess Wilson (2 Viewers)

@MatthewBerryTMR 3m

And Marquess Wilson's value just took a huge jump up as well.
Good time to try and sale if you have him to someone who agrees with this line of thinking.
Definitely.
Funny ... wish we were in leagues together. Now is the time to buy, before people realize just how much he will benefit as the #2 WR in Chicago.
Now I don't know if I should sell or buy...

Really though, I think I'll try to sell see what I can get. I'll be happy with a late 2nd although I doubt I could get it.

@MatthewBerryTMR 3m

Good time to try and sale if you have him to someone who agrees with this line of thinking.
Definitely.
Funny ... wish we were in leagues together. Now is the time to buy, before people realize just how much he will benefit as the #2 WR in Chicago.
Maybe these guys aren't in the same boat, but I've held him since I spent a 3rd rounder on him. Two years taking up a roster spot - I'm not selling now.

-CE- said:
Papa John said:
Shutout said:
menobrown said:
@MatthewBerryTMR 3m

Definitely.
Maybe these guys aren't in the same boat, but I've held him since I spent a 3rd rounder on him. Two years taking up a roster spot - I'm not selling now.
i was able to grab him off the wire early last year and if I thought i could get a 2nd for him id let him go maybe

Papa John said:
Shutout said:
menobrown said:
@MatthewBerryTMR 3m

Definitely.
That's exactly what I would be hoping someone would think if I offered him up in a trade.

It could be that he does end up the #2. I just don't see it. I think people often overreact this time of year to perceived depth chart changes. FA and the draft change a lot. If Wilson had looked better to me last year I might be on board but he did not look much to me-nothing stood out about him really. Not good enough IMO to survive FA and the draft. Trestman seemed to really like him but he's gone. I think Wilson is more like a developmental WR4. A nice situational deep threat, but not good enough right now to start or play the slot.

If I had him and could get a second or a third I'd take it.

I cut him less than a week ago in the one league I do have him. I have two reasons I regret cutting him. One is I kept Bryce Brown, the other is I think I could have got a third round pick at least for Wilson. I don't find myself regretting cutting someone I believe will be the new Bears starting WR next season.

He was injured for nearly the entire year with a broken collarbone. That generally leads one to "not look so great", especially when they are a young WR. He was raw and lean, coming into the league at 20 years old ... But with solid talent. He is now only 22. I'll take that all day on a team that is clearly rebuilding and is likely to give him a shot. If he stays healthy he should grow and produce very nicely this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson says Marquess Wilson "needs a strong preseason to ensure he’s on the 53-man roster."

Wilson was a pet project of the Phil Emery regime, but we'd still expect him to stick under Ryan Pace/John Fox. Wilson is promising size/speed prospect with untapped potential as he doesn't turn 23 years old until September. The Bears should keep him as their No. 4 wideout behind Alshon Jeffery, Kevin White and Eddie Royal.

Source: ESPN Chicago
May 21 - 9:27 AM

Sort of a bummer (I own him in dynasty). May have to part ways with him now...
As of a few days ago, I traded Wilson away... for basically nothing (one round draft upgrade late in my league's rookie draft next year). Hated to do it, but with the offensive scheme change and then drafting of Kevin White, I just didn't see much promise for Wilson at this time. The Bears actually have a lot of capable pass catchers... Jeffery, White, Royal, Bennett, and Forte).

That may have been a mistake. He was really coming on in training camp last year before injury. I'm sure he will be pushing White and fighting to get his playing time. He is hungry and that can never be discounted. He also has the talent to excel in the NFL. I would hold him until the situation becomes more clear.

That may have been a mistake. He was really coming on in training camp last year before injury. I'm sure he will be pushing White and fighting to get his playing time. He is hungry and that can never be discounted. He also has the talent to excel in the NFL. I would hold him until the situation becomes more clear.
Yeah, could well be. I simply feel, in my league, I can find another fairly equal roster stash on the WW at this point. I like Wilson pretty well, but I don't like the situation near as much as I did a few months ago.

Sort of a bummer (I own him in dynasty). May have to part ways with him now...
As of a few days ago, I traded Wilson away... for basically nothing (one round draft upgrade late in my league's rookie draft next year). Hated to do it, but with the offensive scheme change and then drafting of Kevin White, I just didn't see much promise for Wilson at this time. The Bears actually have a lot of capable pass catchers... Jeffery, White, Royal, Bennett, and Forte).
You did good getting anything for him.

Now I don't know if I should sell or buy...

Really though, I think I'll try to sell see what I can get. I'll be happy with a late 2nd although I doubt I could get it.
I didn't get my 2nd :( now he's likely a drop candidate after our draft.

This thread is funny ... (and, I confess I am a M. Wilson owner)

When Wilson was initially drafted he was a "potential" guy with loads of talent, just very young (20) and very lean. That all showed his first year in the league. Then, last year, he was a hot dynasty (and, even redraft) sleeper, even though Marshall, Alshon, Bennett and Forte were ahead of him. He then broke his collar bone and never really was able to stack on the camp buzz and progress he allegedly made in that off-season.

This off-season the Bears change staffs, and attained Adam Gase is their OC. From what I remember from DEN, Gase is pretty good at running when needed and passing when needed. If nothing else, he knows how to coordinate an offense and passing attack for sure.

Then, Brandon Marshall is traded, and Wilson is again a hot "potential" guy. Now, not 3 months after that trade, White is drafted and Wilson is a guy we are all giving up on? Something about that just doesn't seem right when a guy has his skill and is merely 22 years old.

Given all of this (above), I think he is a wait and see in re-draft this year, but a strong buy in dynasty (remember, Alshon Jeffrey is in a contract year too).

Just my $0.02

Rotoworld:

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson said coach John Fox "seems impressed" by WR Marquess Wilson.

Along with Eddie Royal and Alshon Jeffery, Dickerson identified Wilson as a player who showed well during the Bears' offseason program. No. 7 overall pick Kevin White, on the other hand, has been relegated to running with the twos. White has the talent to win a big role in the Bears' offense early, but Fox's reluctance to start rookies could mean Wilson earns more targets than expected this season.

Related: Kevin White, Eddie Royal, Alshon Jeffery

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 20 - 9:32 AM

Rotoworld:

Bears GM Ryan Pace believes WR Marquess Wilson has the ability to play outside and in the slot.

Wilson got most of the snaps at Z-receiver during OTAs. He’ll enter training camp ahead of No. 7 overall pick Kevin White, but should ultimately back up at all three receiver spots. Coach John Fox’s history of slow playing rookies gives Wilson a chance to open the season opposite Alshon Jeffery.

Source: chicagofootball.com
Jul 11 - 4:28 PM

Rotoworld:

Bears third-year WR Marquess Wilson is expected to have a "significant role" if Kevin White (shin) isn't all systems go by Week 1.

White has resumed light jogging, but there are whispers he could open 2015 on reserve/PUP. Ballyhooed despite his 2013 seventh-round draft slot, Wilson was largely ineffective in late-season spot starts last year. He would be No. 5 in the target pecking order behind Alshon Jeffery, Eddie Royal, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte. Wilson is a Dynasty stash, not a re-draft pick.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 10 - 5:54 PM

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson - WR - Bears

Bears WR Marquess Wilson (hamstring) isn't practicing Monday.

The Bears have claimed Wilson's injury isn't "overly serious," but are committed to providing misleading injury information under new coach John Fox. For now, Wilson should be considered day to day, and questionable for this weekend's important preseason game.

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Aug 24 - 1:30 PM

Man nothing but silence on this guy... seems like a wide open opportunity to play the Decker/Sanders role in Gase's offense. Wilson has disappointed, but he was coming off injury in a rather dysfunctional situation last year. Keep in mind he's actually 3 months YOUNGER than Kevin White who now may be shelved for the season.

Phenom Index loved him, and if you buy into age-adjusted production, his freshman and sophomore years at WSU were ridiculous.

He's available really, really late or possibly off the waiver wire. Why not use one of your final roster spots to see what happens?

Rotoworld:

Speaking after Monday's practice, Bears third-year WR Marquess Wilson (hamstring) called his health "still a work in progress."

Wilson did participate, but it was his first practice since August 22. Wilson is "hoping to prove he can get in and out of cuts effectively" ahead of a Week 1 date with the Packers. Even if Alshon Jeffery (calf) can't play against Green Bay, Wilson will not be a recommended Week 1 fantasy investment.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Sep 7 - 2:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson caught 6-of-9 targets for 80 yards Week 4 against the Raiders.

Wilson had a big 35-yard gain in the first half and was tackled at the three-yard line late in the second quarter. Wilson started what ended up being the Bears' game-winning drive with a drop, but he redeemed himself with a great catch to convert a third down later in the drive. Wilson's role will decrease with Alshon Jeffery returning, but he at least looked competent in this game.

Oct 4 - 6:56 PM

I consider Wilson a 'medium desperate' WR3 play this weekend... but I am considering him.

Jeffery was limited in Thursday practice. Royal missed the last 2 practices. Chiefs defense is giving up passing yards.

I don't follow the Bears very closely - does this guy usually play from the slot? If so, he has some upside this week. Phillip Gaines is out for the year, and KC's backup nickel CBs are getting abused.

Wilson came early into the league as a 20 year old late round character guy who got kicked off his team and he only weight 184 lbs.

Last summer he broke his collarbone and didn't get back until November but had to deal with WR Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery.

Bears went out and drafted a WR in the top ten but he's out for the season. Then they traded away Brandon Marshall so he's out of the picture. Now Alshon is gimped up and WR Eddie Royale is OUT.

Wilson is listed at 199 lbs but was up to 207 lbs last year before he got injured. He's 23 yrs old so he's more mature and of course he is over his broken collarbone. Oh and he's coming off of his single best game of his career catching 6 passes for 80 yards.

Waldman was high on him prior to the draft when he was a 20 year old 184 lb character concern guy but he's put on enough weight, he's more mature, and he's learned over the past two and a half years and now he's got the opportunity not only today but he could carve out a bigger role for the remainder of the year.

Looks like a fantastic add IMHO.

Yep, rough week for byes, but he's the number 1 WR there today, and you gotta figure the Bears will be playing from behind, so...

Chicago Bears WR Marques Wilson getting his shot and stepping up story that has its share of sputters. New developments have presented him with a chance to write a new chapter in his career. Timing is everything and planets have aligned to give Wilson an opportunity and he's stepping up so the time to get in is now.

When Rookie WR Kevin White got injured and when WR Brandon Marshall got traded it seemed to open the door but Wilson couldn't beat out the guys ahead of him but currently both WR Alshon Jeffery and WR Eddie Royale dealing with injuries and that has opened the door for Marques Wilson.

Last week Wilson stepped in but could he do it two weeks in a row or gain the trust of Culter and Bears OC Adam Gase? It didn't seem like it early in the game against KC as Gase went conservative and KC adjusted to stop the run and shot passing game. Gase had no other choice so he dialed it up and Cutler went to Wilson and it clicked.

Go back to the pre-draft reports on this kid's raw talent before he put on weight and developed his game.

Time is now to buy low.

----------

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-grades-marquess-wilson-steps-depleted-wr-corps

Bears Grades: Marquess Wilson steps up for depleted WR corps

October 11, 2015, 10:30 pm

... Through most of the first half and even into the third quarter, a corps depleted with Alshon Jeffery and Eddie Royal inactive with injuries gave Cutler very little in the way of separation. That very likely lay behind part of coordinator Adam Gase taking few shots down the field against a Kansas City defense that increasingly stacked the box and defied the Bears to beat it one-on-one almost anywhere throwing.

Wilson produced one of his best-ever games, better as it went along as Cutler’s confidence appeared to grow as Wilson worked against the Chiefs secondary.“A quarterback always gains trust when a guy catches the ball,” Wilson said, laughing. “Drops lose confidence, but I think it’s getting higher.”

High enough that it was to Wilson that Cutler went against late double coverage from the Kansas City 22. “It was just a ‘corner’ [route],” Wilson said. “I got out of my break and saw the ball in the air. I knew I just had to get there. I knew I had to get it.”

He made a nice catch for the TD. It was a perfectly placed ball by Cutler in to what looked like double coverage. Excellent concentration to make the catch.

I must thank Bloom and co for bigging this guy up on the Sunday morning hangout. Picked him up and ended up starting him. He was my top WR for the week. Love your work guys!

I love the guy, but his value is at a peak right now. Once White comes back, Cutler just can't support 2 WR's, Bennett, and Forte (in the passing game). So I'm not sure what I want to do. Like I said, I do like the guy, but I also love White. Have an offer of Charles Sims and a 4th on the table right now, but I'm kind of WR needy.

I want to buy into him, but with Royal and Jeffrey back I'm not too sure he'll get the targets.
Who says either will be back this week, especially Jeffery. Man that guy is killing me--talk about come up on the wrong side of heads or tails. Early Rd 3, my choice was between him and DeAndre Hopkins. Botched that one!

I don't think we have a clue when any of those 3 WRs will be back. Wilson is a hold and probably startable in most leagues untill something changes.

A. Jeffrey looks iffy.

Same with E. Royal.

And I could swear I read M. Bennett is banged up.

Detroit secondary stinks.

Surprised there isn't more action on this thread.

I'm playing him over beckham in a yardage-only league, can't take the chance with him being little more than a decoy. Bennett is banged up also, think Wilson can realistically score 7/100

Easy decision there. Was already carrying 2 TEs so dropped Barnidge for him. Just couldn't keep holding him.

Users who are viewing this thread