What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former WSU WR Marquess Wilson (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

According to the Chicago Sun Times, Bears second-year WR Marquess Wilson "had a strong offseason" and is "noticeably becoming a better receiver."

21-year-old Wilson has been taken under the wing of Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall, and was one of the stars of Chicago's spring practices. The Sun Times noted Wilson beating first-round CB Kyle Fuller "badly" in man coverage during minicamp. Wilson should be a big upgrade on Earl Bennett for the Bears. His re-draft value is tied to Jeffery and Marshall's availability.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Jun 23 - 1:43 PM

Marquess Wilson - WR - Bears
ESPN Chicago believes the Bears' No. 3 receiver job will be Marquess Wilson's unless he "falters significantly."
The only real competitor for Wilson is veteran Josh Morgan. Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery have taken Wilson under their wings this spring, and he's been in the weight room adding over 20 pounds to his 6-foot-4 frame. Wilson's re-draft value isn't very high, but he'll make things easier for Marshall and Jeffery in real life. If either gets injured, then Wilson would skyrocket up the ranks.

Source: ESPN Chicago
Jun 25 - 9:27 AM

It is an absolute lock that Wilson will be the Bears #3 WR. The rest of the WRs are fillers, at best.
I think Tolliver is just as good as this guy. Nobody has really stood out to me as the 3rd best receiver there. That said, it's Wilson's job to lose.

I know there is some major upside with this guy, but he has no shot of being fantasy relevant for 3 years at the earliest (Jeffery is FA). Talk about being in the absolute worst situation possible.

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson is listed as the direct backup to "X" receiver Brandon Marshall on the Bears' first unofficial depth chart.
It's an indication Wilson is the No. 2 X, with Alshon Jeffery at Z. In three-wide packages, Wilson will enter games this season as Chicago's No. 2 outside receiver, with Marshall or Jeffery playing in the slot. Wilson reportedly beat Charles Tillman for a 20-yard sideline catch in Saturday's scrimmage. We also saw video of him catching a downfield bomb in tight double coverage.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter

I know there is some major upside with this guy, but he has no shot of being fantasy relevant for 3 years at the earliest (Jeffery is FA). Talk about being in the absolute worst situation possible.
Seriously?In today's NFL there are constantly 3-4 WR sets. I understand that Forte and Bennett are there too, but he also has one of the best up and coming offensive head coaches in the league trying to figure out how to best use all the Bears parts.

Saying he is "in the absolute worst situation possible" is a fairly large stretch IMHO. Heck, he is 1 Marshall/Jeffrey injury away from being gold for fantasy purposes at WR (and that's not mere hyperbole).

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld take:

Bears WR Marquess Wilson suffered a fractured clavicle during Monday's training camp practice.

The clavicle is also known as the collarbone, and typically we see players return from this sort of injury within 6-8 weeks. Wilson isn't going to be ready for the Bears' season opener, but he does figure to maintain a 53-man roster spot barring placement on the I.R./designated for return list, something we wouldn't anticipate at this stage. 21-year-old Wilson lit up Saturday's live intrasquad scrimmage and has run away with Chicago's No. 3 wideout job. Expect Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, and Martellus Bennett to add a few early-season targets. Josh Morgan may open the year as the Bears' third receiver now.

Aug 4 - 2:34 PM

Injured Wilson needs support in recovery:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4693416/injured-wilson-needs-help-in-recovery-process

Excerpt:

Wilson did seem on the verge of putting it all together before fracturing his clavicle during practice on Monday. He routinely made difficult catches over the first eight practices, displaying arguably the best route-running footwork of any of the wide receivers in camp. That's a heavy compliment, considering the Bears have a pair of Pro Bowl wideouts on the roster ahead of Wilson on the depth chart (Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery).

Wilson also appeared to carry himself with a sense of humble confidence off the field. Interviews with the media are tricky. A reporter can never truly know a player based on large group question and answer sessions, but Wilson sure sounded thoughtful and intelligent when discussing his role on the team whenever the media stopped him at the ONU campus.

If they keep him active, they plan to use him IMO. If they don't, they are satisfied with what Holmes is bringing and are comfortable testing him.

What they do will dictate what I do with him...

Anybody with short rosters plan on holding if they IR/DTR him?

Rotoworld:

Bears WR Marquess Wilson (broken collarbone) is eligible to return from the injured reserve-designated for return list in Week 10.

After playing the Patriots on Sunday, the Bears have a bye in Week 9. Wilson will be eligible return in the following game. Chicago has been missing a third receiver from its 2014 offense with Santonio Holmes and Josh Morgan sharing the role. A 22-year-old with huge long-term upside, Wilson should be owned in all Dynasty leagues and is worth a look for 16-team re-draft leaguers as well.

Oct 25 - 5:44 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bears do not expect WR Marquess Wilson (broken collarbone, I.R./return) to be activated for Sunday's game against the Packers.

Wilson might finally resume practicing, but he's week to week as he cools his heels on I.R./return. Wilson remains an upside stash in Dynasty leagues, but won't make a re-draft impact this season.

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson (broken collarbone, I.R./return) resumed practicing Wednesday.

Wilson has been sidelined since training camp, and isn't expected to be activated for Sunday's game against the Packers. The Bears have a three-week window to add him to their roster.

Source: Zach Zaidman on Twitter
Nov 5 - 2:57 PM

Bears activated WR Marquess Wilson (collarbone) from injured reserve-designated for return.

The Bears will hope Wilson adds a Martavis Bryant-like spark to their sputtering offense. Wilson is worth rostering in 16-team leagues in hopes of a fast finish. When healthy, he is one of our favorite Dynasty prospects.

Starting to get interesting for Wilson with Marshall's injury concerns. CHI may want to see what they have in him down the stretch.

Rotoworld:

Bears WR Marquess Wilson is active for Week 11 against Minnesota.

The promising sophomore wideout will operate as Chicago's No. 3 receiver, as Josh Morgan is inactive. Wilson is a prime Dynasty league prospect.

Nov 16 - 11:43 AM

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson played on 29-of-59 snaps (49.1 percent) in Sunday's win over the Bucs.

It was a major downgrade from Week 11, when Wilson was in on 74.3 percent of the snaps. Regardless, he's seen just seven targets over the last two weeks and produced 3-21-0. Wilson is only a Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery handcuff in redraft, but a strong hold in Dynasty.

Source: profootballfocus.com
Nov 24 - 11:34 AM

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson played on 29-of-59 snaps (49.1 percent) in Sunday's win over the Bucs.

It was a major downgrade from Week 11, when Wilson was in on 74.3 percent of the snaps. Regardless, he's seen just seven targets over the last two weeks and produced 3-21-0. Wilson is only a Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery handcuff in redraft, but a strong hold in Dynasty.

Source: profootballfocus.com

Nov 24 - 11:34 AM
Wilson dropped two balls in the 1st half and it was clear the coaches lost some confidence in him (1 of the 2 was a tough catch to make, but he needs to make catches ... easy or tough ones). I figure he'll rebound, but he needs to make the tough catches to stay on the field since the Bears (and their coaching staff) have no room for error moving forward.

Brandon Marshall has been diagnosed with two fractured ribs and an injured lung, and has already been ruled out for Week 15

Whoops, I mispelled his name and couldn't find this thread so started another one. I think he could be a solid WR3/Flex with WR2 upside. I haven't seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is, but the WR2 opportunity in that offense alone seems to create that possibility.

Whoops, I mispelled his name and couldn't find this thread so started another one. I think he could be a solid WR3/Flex with WR2 upside. I haven't seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is, but the WR2 opportunity in that offense alone seems to create that possibility.
Definite possibility but at this point in our seasons, I wouldn't throw him in the lineup yet. I'm like you though and know nothing about his history. I'm very curious to hear other folk's knowledge on this.

i think marshall being done for the year is going to be a giant bump for martellus bennett and alshon... and i cant see wilson instantly becoming even a viable WR3. Marshall's first year when he was the only legit WR Cutler locked on to him and fed him the ball... i can see the same effect for alson/bennett splitting marshalls work.. not someone new stepping in and taking over marshalls workload

i think marshall being done for the year is going to be a giant bump for martellus bennett and alshon... and i cant see wilson instantly becoming even a viable WR3. Marshall's first year when he was the only legit WR Cutler locked on to him and fed him the ball... i can see the same effect for alson/bennett splitting marshalls work.. not someone new stepping in and taking over marshalls workload
Wouldn't the logical effect of Jeffery stepping in the WR1 role mean he will now be facing the top corner and be more frequently doubled in coverage, leaving the door open for someone like Wilson to benefit from this as Jeffery has in the past? Obviusly Bennett will draw a huge portion of this, but I could see someone else receiving part as well.

Wouldn't the logical effect of Jeffery stepping in the WR1 role mean he will now be facing the top corner and be more frequently doubled in coverage, leaving the door open for someone like Wilson to benefit from this as Jeffery has in the past? Obviusly Bennett will draw a huge portion of this, but I could see someone else receiving part as well.
that statement on wilson assumes he is actually a good player... we really dont know anything about him given his limited playing time.

check the 2012 season... where cutler had marshall and only marshall to throw to... i'd imagine he is going to focus on forte, alshon, and bennett and no one else

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2012.htm#rushing_and_receiving::14

the one thing i've learned about cutler is he is who he is, he's never going to change his ways so thats why i predict he'll basically exclusively force feed the 3 bears left he trusts

Didn't he go from exclusively feeding bmarsh to spreading it out to bmarsh, alshon, and Marty b? Marty b got hurt too but he gutted it out. This could easily turn into Bennett being a decoy and alshon/marquess carry the wr game.

Rotoworld:

The Bears are expected to start Marquess Wilson in place of Brandon Marshall (ribs, lung) going forward.

Wilson caught 82 balls for 1,388 yards (16.9 YPR) and scored 12 touchdowns as a sophomore at Washington State. He quit the team as a junior, alleging "abuse" by coach Mike Leach. That allowed the Bears to steal a talented, fast 6-foot-4 wideout in the seventh-round of the 2013 draft, and they showed confidence in him this past offseason by letting Earl Bennett walk. A broken collarbone derailed him a bit, but now Wilson has a monster opportunity as an every-down player in Marc Trestman's offense. Josh Morgan is expected to slide into the No. 3/slot role. Wilson has immediate WR3 appeal in a home game against the Saints Week 15.

Related: Brandon Marshall, Josh Morgan

Source: ESPN Chicago
Dec 8 - 11:35 AM

I like the quickness in and out of routes as the 6.6 3 cone drill would suggest. Excited to see how it translates against a bad secondary.

Will Marshall be back in Chicago next year?
I'm guessing he'll be back be given the money they threw him, but perhaps not if the cap hit isn't too bad.
Why wouldn't he be back?

CHI would only save $3.4M against the cap by releasing Marshall next year, and have a dead money charge of 5.6M, 3.8M, and 1.8M the next three years. Are his skills really eroding that much or is his play injury-related? I think it's the latter, and would be a folly to write him off at those prices for 2015.

In 2016, though, Marshall is gone. CHI would save over $6M on the cap by releasing him and Jeffrey will have to be extended soon. They aren't going to lock up $15M annually on two WRs. So I think it's an impossible cap situation for Marshall to be on the Bears in 2016.

Will Marshall be back in Chicago next year?
I'm guessing he'll be back be given the money they threw him, but perhaps not if the cap hit isn't too bad.
Why wouldn't he be back?

CHI would only save $3.4M against the cap by releasing Marshall next year, and have a dead money charge of 5.6M, 3.8M, and 1.8M the next three years. Are his skills really eroding that much or is his play injury-related? I think it's the latter, and would be a folly to write him off at those prices for 2015.

In 2016, though, Marshall is gone. CHI would save over $6M on the cap by releasing him and Jeffrey will have to be extended soon. They aren't going to lock up $15M annually on two WRs. So I think it's an impossible cap situation for Marshall to be on the Bears in 2016.
Yes, I agree he'll be back. The only thing I could see if the Bears are tired of his act as with Denver and Miami before him, but by most accounts he's seemed to have grown up a bit.

He'll be 31 when the season starts - not necessarily old by WR standards even though Jeffrey seems more explosive than he is at this point. But let's face it - Marshall looked VERY good right before he got hurt last week, so the skills are still there.

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson caught three passes for 16 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 15 loss to the Saints.

Filling in as the No. 2 receiver behind Alshon Jeffery, Wilson was targeted six times. His one-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter came on a little drag route in the front of the end zone. Most notably in the fantasy community, the score won Drew Dinkmeyer of RotoExperts $1 million in a DFS tournament. Wilson could have had a bigger night, but Jay Cutler missed him deep on what would have been a long touchdown. Wilson will be a WR3/4 next week against the Lions.

Dec 16 - 12:18 AM

Users who are viewing this thread