What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1982 Countdown Monday! (2 Viewers)

What older decades would you do lists for?

• 1960s

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • 1950s

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 1940s

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 1930s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • 1920s

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Yes and I really liked it. O'Toole was incredible. I'm not sure if it's because the guy from Perfect Strangers was in it or if it's something in the way the movie was made but any scene without O'Toole felt like a sitcom. I almost expected a fake laugh track at points. If they had cast someone better in the role as the junior writer, it could have been in the running for my favorite movie of the year. 
No tongue.  Tongue, death!

Yes and I really liked it. O'Toole was incredible. I'm not sure if it's because the guy from Perfect Strangers was in it or if it's something in the way the movie was made but any scene without O'Toole felt like a sitcom. I almost expected a fake laugh track at points. If they had cast someone better in the role as the junior writer, it could have been in the running for my favorite movie of the year. 
well, he was in that before Perfect Strangers, so he worked fine in a thankless hype-man role at the time

Below is my list and the only correct one. There is no "serious" drama to be found on the list which is the way it should be, IMO.  The 80s were all about classic blockbusters/horror/comedies and '82 was no exception.  

The Thing                                    30
E.T.                                              30
Poltergeist                                   30
Friday the 13th Part 3                  25
Rocky 3                                        25
Fast Times at Ridgemont High    15
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan             15
Creepshow                                  10
Conan the Barbarian                   10
The Secret of Nimh                     10

Disagree.  And I think more people need to jump on board with the awesomeness that was Wrath of Khan.  

There are no empty scenes in the movie at all.  Every set is necessary to either the overall story or the depth of the ancillary parts of it.  Shatner nailed every single part of Kirk in that movie in a way that he never did again.  The final battle is, in my opinion, probably the greatest "submarine" battle sequence in movie history, the music, the tension, the silence, the drama, the script, all if it leads to an ultimate moment where if you aren't cheering you are soulless.

Meanwhile, the undertone science fictions themes are perfectly told.  The continuation of the universe created by Roddenbury was immaculate.  This movie was everything that current Star Wars fanboys want - some kind of homage to the past while being different, but not too different because different is bad and the originals are awesome, so give me something good, but not too good because that is selling out - or whatever the ridiculous nonsensical argument against the new Star Wars movies are.  No, Star Trek got it right in the movie.  It got everything right.

It also ranks right up there with Godfather II and Empire Strikes Back as the greatest sequels in the history of cinema.  It took beloved characters that everyone knew, and told a story that was amazing, both in continuing themes we all knew and charting it's own path.  It can be a stand alone movie and be brilliant there as well, giving you just enough of the history of why everything was happening that if you saw this movie cold without knowledge of the first or the TV series, you still can enjoy it for the great science fiction it was full of characters that stand the test of time.

The reveal of Kirk cheating the Kobyashi Maru was brilliantly told to the audience - the alpha hero who wasn't nearly as heroic as he is portrayed.  The fight between science and humanity with the use of the Genesis device is a story that never gets old when done right.  The chess game between Kirk and Khan was acted perfectly and when Kirk opens his communicator to talk to Spock two hours after being told the ship was dead, the cut scene to McCoy smirking like the Grinch that Stole Christmas was the look on everyone's face in the theater and since when watching - yeah, that's Kirk, doing it again, being awesome, I knew it!  The death of Spock was perfectly told between the two men that played those roles.  In as much as the fun of Star Trek is the overacting of Shatner for years, that scene was brilliant - just enough overacting to be the character, but powerful and honest.  You saw Kirk truly hurt for the first time ever in the history of the show.  You saw him vulnerable truly for the first time.  They couldn't have written it better if they tried.

And of course Khan, easily top 10 science fiction bad guy in movie history for this movie.  The Shakespearean tragedy of his character gave us Captain Piccard decades later because it was so well done and intertwined into this story.  He was a bad guy you didn't want to die while you were wishing for Kirk to beat him.  Just brilliant.

And then Kirk's funeral speech.  Five minutes of the most powerful writing in the history of the entire universe created by Roddenbury.  That speech is right up with every magnificent moment that Star Trek has given us.  Tons of movies have funeral speeches.  Most fall woefully short of being as close to as powerful as Kirk's was for Spock.  

This is clearly one of the best movies ever created.  30 points wasn't enough.

Settle down nerd.

Below is my list and the only correct one. There is no "serious" drama to be found on the list which is the way it should be, IMO.  The 80s were all about classic blockbusters/horror/comedies and '82 was no exception.  

The Thing                                    30
E.T.                                              30
Poltergeist                                   30
Friday the 13th Part 3                  25
Rocky 3                                        25
Fast Times at Ridgemont High    15
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan             15
Creepshow                                  10
Conan the Barbarian                   10
The Secret of Nimh                     10
Definitely an 80's list for sure.

@KarmaPolice

You know what would make an interesting internet discussion along the lines of these threads - the best movie scenes.  Everyone would get bogged down by the rules of what defined a scene, but getting past that, just putting certain scenes against each other would be a helluva lot of fun.

What's better, Michael killing Sollazzo or McLean killing Gruber.

That is an internet :nerd: discussion if there ever was one.

@KarmaPolice

You know what would make an interesting internet discussion along the lines of these threads - the best movie scenes.  Everyone would get bogged down by the rules of what defined a scene, but getting past that, just putting certain scenes against each other would be a helluva lot of fun.

What's better, Michael killing Sollazzo or McLean killing Gruber.

That is an internet :nerd: discussion if there ever was one.
What is the best scene of 82?

:thumbup:

Good to see lists from people who didn't participate in 1999.  

Also, talking about scenes is a great way to talk about movies in here without giving away all the rankings.  I guess spoilers are a risk, but these are 36 year old movies. 

So many great scenes....

Paul Newman's closing argument in The Verdict was truly powerful;

Anyone else wanna' limp from 48hrs;

The Poltergeist television scene;

The final scene of Rock III..... (you wanna ring the bell, ding ding ding)

KarmaPolice said:
:thumbup:

Good to see lists from people who didn't participate in 1999.  

Also, talking about scenes is a great way to talk about movies in here without giving away all the rankings.  I guess spoilers are a risk, but these are 36 year old movies. 
KP - would it be better for me to resend my list for '82 to keep things straight?

Yankee23Fan said:
Disagree.  And I think more people need to jump on board with the awesomeness that was Wrath of Khan.  

There are no empty scenes in the movie at all.  Every set is necessary to either the overall story or the depth of the ancillary parts of it.  Shatner nailed every single part of Kirk in that movie in a way that he never did again.  The final battle is, in my opinion, probably the greatest "submarine" battle sequence in movie history, the music, the tension, the silence, the drama, the script, all if it leads to an ultimate moment where if you aren't cheering you are soulless.

Meanwhile, the undertone science fictions themes are perfectly told.  The continuation of the universe created by Roddenbury was immaculate.  This movie was everything that current Star Wars fanboys want - some kind of homage to the past while being different, but not too different because different is bad and the originals are awesome, so give me something good, but not too good because that is selling out - or whatever the ridiculous nonsensical argument against the new Star Wars movies are.  No, Star Trek got it right in the movie.  It got everything right.

It also ranks right up there with Godfather II and Empire Strikes Back as the greatest sequels in the history of cinema.  It took beloved characters that everyone knew, and told a story that was amazing, both in continuing themes we all knew and charting it's own path.  It can be a stand alone movie and be brilliant there as well, giving you just enough of the history of why everything was happening that if you saw this movie cold without knowledge of the first or the TV series, you still can enjoy it for the great science fiction it was full of characters that stand the test of time.

The reveal of Kirk cheating the Kobyashi Maru was brilliantly told to the audience - the alpha hero who wasn't nearly as heroic as he is portrayed.  The fight between science and humanity with the use of the Genesis device is a story that never gets old when done right.  The chess game between Kirk and Khan was acted perfectly and when Kirk opens his communicator to talk to Spock two hours after being told the ship was dead, the cut scene to McCoy smirking like the Grinch that Stole Christmas was the look on everyone's face in the theater and since when watching - yeah, that's Kirk, doing it again, being awesome, I knew it!  The death of Spock was perfectly told between the two men that played those roles.  In as much as the fun of Star Trek is the overacting of Shatner for years, that scene was brilliant - just enough overacting to be the character, but powerful and honest.  You saw Kirk truly hurt for the first time ever in the history of the show.  You saw him vulnerable truly for the first time.  They couldn't have written it better if they tried.

And of course Khan, easily top 10 science fiction bad guy in movie history for this movie.  The Shakespearean tragedy of his character gave us Captain Piccard decades later because it was so well done and intertwined into this story.  He was a bad guy you didn't want to die while you were wishing for Kirk to beat him.  Just brilliant.

And then Kirk's funeral speech.  Five minutes of the most powerful writing in the history of the entire universe created by Roddenbury.  That speech is right up with every magnificent moment that Star Trek has given us.  Tons of movies have funeral speeches.  Most fall woefully short of being as close to as powerful as Kirk's was for Spock.  

Yankees bringing the freaking passion!!!! I love it.

And I loved that movie too. Just not as much as some others that year. But one of my favorite Sci-Fi films of all time. But I had 2 ranked above it that year. Probably because I like Star Wars better (tomatoes being thrown by Yankees at me here). But I agree.....it is a stand alone film. And by far the king of anything Star Trek. Star Trek 4 was another monster for me. But that was it. All the other films were ok to meh (except Abrams reboot which I thought was awesome). This one was The Godfather of Star Trek films.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
otb_lifer said:
"Moving in Stereo" w/Phoebe Cates

McCready running the blood test on the strapped down crew in "The Thing"
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter tied to this ****ing couch!!!!!

Yankee23Fan said:

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Wondering how many 1982 films I can watch before my wife asks me why I'm suddenly watching a bunch of early 80s movies.

Wondering how many 1982 films I can watch before my wife asks me why I'm suddenly watching a bunch of early 80s movies.
Have to rotate - do a really good one or two, and then let her have An Officer and a Gentlemen (which is a good movie by the way).

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is a solid date night movie.

*ALERT* 

I will be putting Fitzcaraldo and Burden of Dreams as one entry.

Also, I want to pimp the Grey Fox.  along with Straight Story, a near perfect casting and performance by Farnsworth. 

this might change. need to get my eyes on more complete lists of releases for the year...

1. Blade Runner
  2. The King of Comedy
  3. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  4. The Grey Fox
  5. My Favorite Year
  6. Fitzcarraldo/Burden of Dreams
  7. Sophie's Choice
  8. The Year of Living Dangerously
  9. Gandhi
  10. Diner
  11. The Verdict
  12. Fanny & Alexander
  13. Tootsie
  14. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  15. Victor/Victoria
  16. Conan the Barbarian
  17. Koyaanisqatsi
  18. 48 HRS.
  19. The Draughtsman's Contract
  20. Liquid Sky

*ALERT* 

I will be putting Fitzcaraldo and Burden of Dreams as one entry.

Also, I want to pimp the Grey Fox.  along with Straight Story, a near perfect casting and performance by Farnsworth. 
not i - didn't like Fitzcarraldo. Burden of Dreams will be in my top 10 however

Fast Times at Ridgemont High 28

The King of Comedy 27

Blade Runner 20

Richard Pryor: Live on the Sunset Strip 18

Night Shift 17

Let's Spend the Night Together 15

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 10

48 Hrs. 5

Airplane II: The Sequel 5

Creepshow 5

Diner 5