What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1971 It's Countdown Monday! (2 Viewers)

It's kind of a polarizing film.  Altman loved to upend genre rules and no genre is more convention-bound than the Western.  Beatty seems to inhabit 1971 as much as he does 1871 and his character is hardly heroic.  But the film looks like how I imagine the West really was a lot more than the idealized vistas of Ford or Leone.
Where did you put it? 

McCabe is a film i've been trying to like for forty years and, except for the set & setting, have been completely unable to. I only listed it at all for its place in film history and in that chain of productivity Eephus mentioned

Really an interesting career. He had that red hot 70s run (I know @wikkidpissah is also a big fan of The Long Goodbye). Then next thing you know he's making Popeye and just some complete trash in the 80s. Then he knocks out The Player and Gosford Park late in the game and really rehabilitated his legacy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The conventional wisdom is that big spectacles with lots of stuff blowing up are the movies that lose the most when seen on the small screen.  That's probably the case but I also believe Altman's films are best seen in a theater.  A big screen in a dark place helps me focus on the dialog and it's easy to miss stuff if I'm distracted.  There's also something to be said for an audience collectively trying to decide what is comedy and what is drama in real-time.

I'll defend Popeye and O.C. and Stiggs when we get to the 80s.  I'm not a big fan of The Player or Short Cuts.

#5  213pts

13/3

It's no "Citizen Kane"

I concur that this is one of the most overrated movies of all time. The editing is clumsy and draws too much attention to itself. I squirmed in the "famous" skinny dipping scene because it is so over-the-top self-conscious. In the period in which the film is placed, skinny-dipping would have been the norm at any YMCA and co-ed nudity was probably not much of stretch in a small, backwater community. (Note to film makers: If you can't just let nudity happen naturally in a scene, then set the scene somewhere else! Don't distract us with coy posing to deliberately hide the parts you'll think we'll be embarrassed about). Bogdanovich tells the story of how he picked up the book "The Last Picture Show" read the liner notes then put it down thinking it sounded boring. He was correct and should have left it at that. For a vastly better study of American teenagers with a pop music score, try George Lucas' "American Graffiti."

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

#4  248 pts 

15/5

Vastly overrated

I've heard of this movie since it was new. It came out about the same time as "The French Connection," a splendid movie with great acting, direction, cinematography, dialogue, story line and believability.

I always assumed this was a great movie, based on its reputation.

I was very misinformed.

I watched it on television, through all the bad cinematography, errors and lapses in continuity, absurd plot, hopeless screenplay, but after the scene with the judge and the D.A. in the latter's office, that was it. It was way too stupid to put up with it any longer.

I lived in San Francisco off and on from 1961 to 1982 and it didn't represent anything close to reality in criminal justice with which I was extremely familiar, during that period. It didn't even make any sense geographically, for instance with the bag man magically moving from one end of the city to the other in the absence of available transportation, and the same with the final bus scene.

This debacle was inspired, if you could call it that, by the Zodiac killer, who murdered individuals and couples in San Francisco and all around California. He was never apprehended and his identity remains unknown. This was an opportunity for a great movie that was completely wasted.

DIRTY HARRY

#3  301pts

15/5

racist thuggish tripe

Somebody explain to me why this is great cinema.

A thuggish, bigoted, alcoholic white cop takes on the bad guys --- blacks, hispanics, and the french. While boozing and whoring and rousting the shifty blacks our heroes violate half the articles of the bill of rights. They raid local black bars and search people without probable cause. They hijack people's cars on the street. They beat up anyone they want to.

The film shows it's colors in a scene in which the effete verminous french enjoy a meal of escargot and roast beef in a fancy restaurant while our virtuous heroes on the make shiver outside in the cold, with lousy pizza and coffee so bad they have to pour it down the drain. Freedom fries indeed.

Along the way there are lots of car crashes, preposterous events, and absurd situations.

All the mayhem is OK though --- the bad guys are smuggling heroin. I honestly can't tell if the cops in an alcoholic stupor chasing the junkies around was supposed to be ironic or not, but I don't think so.

This film supposedly influenced many of those that came after it; certainly the Bush administration seems to have taken it to heart. What a load of crap.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION

#2  400pts

16/12

A film for half-baked sociologists.

The tale of a violent man (a boy in the book) and societies attempt to reform him.

Never before has so much junk been written about a low budget movie that fails on so many fronts. You can read quite a bit of this cheap sociologist gobblede#### in the reviews that surround this one - in case you doubt my word!

Let us start with a few facts for a change: The film was made on the ultra cheap. Look at the lack of extras or expensive sets (all filming took place in real locations). Look at the cheap TV lighting. Look at the amount of hand held camera work. Warner Brothers didn't really want to make this movie, but Kubrick told them it would make pots of money and that won them over - in this he was right!

(To quote a Clash lyric: "They wear smart suits. And think it's funny. Turning rebellion in to money...")

Alex is living in a society we don't really see (in the movie at least). So how can we judge "society values?" Is Alex a one-off or common? This is a society that sells penis-shaped ice-lollies to children so it must be a bit sick in the head, but no attempt is made to give the movie on-the-ground context.

Set in the future is it? Well it is a future that looks a lot like the year it was made right down to the trousers and haircuts. Maybe the future looks a lot like 1972!

I look for films to do two main things: To educate or to entertain. Clockwork Orange does neither. Many scenes are quite revolting - and bizarrely they are even found revolting by some of the people who rate the movie highly!

I went to a rough house school that housed real football hooligans, rapists and sociopaths. Let me tell you now, they didn't like classical music or have the ability to explain their actions in clear language to anybody. Several were too stupid to even form sentences.

Having experienced/suffered the real thing why would I prefer to listen to the version of a highly protected/highly privileged middle class man (Kubrick) who - in success - chose to live his life behind barbed wire, protected by big dogs and shotguns?

I can stand rape and violence if it has a point to it, but here it doesn't. I am not surprised the original "rape victim" quit the movie, who would want to be portrayed on screen like that? Being held down and stripped, while someone with a bad comb-across tries to worm a hand held camera between your legs?

I don't attack Anthony Burgess's book (which I have read) because I think that is a valid exercise in literature. Not that it is that good or that original. Even AB admitted that the use of slang was borrowed from elsewhere.

I hate this film and the reasons that it was made. I also hate the people that make excuses for them. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Avoid at all costs.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

That's right kids - so far we have only 2 movies that have been on every list submitted for a certain year.  The Godfather II, and....

#1  420pts

18/12

Not exactly the charming film it's purported to be

Willy Wonka, as played by Gene Wilder, is the grown-up stranger all parents warn their kids not to talk to. He's smarmy. He's a little TOO friendly. He's horribly frightening. And to my utter astonishment, he turns out to be deadly. If I were 10 years old and I encountered Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka, I would run screaming from his presence as fast as my terrified little legs would carry me. I certainly wouldn't accept an invitation to visit his hellish chocolate factory where small children are slurped to their demise in giant vats of confection. This is supposed to be a CHILDREN'S film? It belongs on a double-feature bill with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." What a perverted, hateful movie, and what a dirty trick to play on innocent children.

WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

Holy crap, if I hadn't somehow forgotten to put The French Connection on my list, I would have had 8 of the top 10.  That's probably twice the number I've had in any other year. :lmao:  

I'm really excited for the next one.  Gives me an excuse to watch a lot of stuff I've never seen.

Pretty good year. I was scuffling a bit to get to 10 in 1974, but I didn’t have that problem this year — and still more on my watch list that I’m planning to get to eventually.

Pretty good year. I was scuffling a bit to get to 10 in 1974, but I didn’t have that problem this year — and still more on my watch list that I’m planning to get to eventually.
I was too and then I saw the list and realized I overlooked a few. Strong year at the top though. I am super busy the next few weeks. It’s my wife’s grandmothers 90th and we have people flying in all from over the country for parties. Luckily, late 50 is in my wheelhouse so I don’t really need to see much. 

Others getting votes:

40-49pts:

Vanishing Point

Shaft

30-39:

A New Leaf

Le Mans

Carnal Knowledge 

Adominable Dr. Phibes

Get Carter

20-29:

Summer of '42

Willard

Billy Jack

A Touch of Zen

Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Sunday Bloody Sunday

THX 1138

The Go-Between

And Now For Something Completely Different

Death in Venice

10-19:

Johnny Got His Gun

See No Evil

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

The Big Boss

Murmur of the Heart

Light at the Edge of the World

Duck, You Sucker

Traffic

The Conformist

The Devils

Little Murders

Single Digit:

Wild Rovers

Godzilla vs. Smog Monster

The Bequiled

The Big Doll House

Bless the Beasts and Children

Red Sky at Morning

Two English Girls

Big Jake

The Decameron

200 Motels

the Music Lovers

Two Lane Blacktop

The Emigrants

Support Your Local Gunfighter

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Panic in Needle Park

Others getting votes:

40-49pts:

Vanishing Point

Shaft

30-39:

A New Leaf

Le Mans

Carnal Knowledge 

Adominable Dr. Phibes

Get Carter

20-29:

Summer of '42

Willard

Billy Jack

A Touch of Zen

Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Sunday Bloody Sunday

THX 1138

The Go-Between

And Now For Something Completely Different

Death in Venice

10-19:

Johnny Got His Gun

See No Evil

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

The Big Boss

Murmur of the Heart

Light at the Edge of the World

Duck, You Sucker

Traffic

The Conformist

The Devils

Little Murders

Single Digit:

Wild Rovers

Godzilla vs. Smog Monster

The Bequiled

The Big Doll House

Bless the Beasts and Children

Red Sky at Morning

Two English Girls

Big Jake

The Decameron

200 Motels

the Music Lovers

Two Lane Blacktop

The Emigrants

Support Your Local Gunfighter

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Panic in Needle Park
Godzilla v. Hedorah and Godzilla v. The Smog Monster is the same movie. One is the Japanese title and the other the US released version. Not that it matters.

Willy Wonka is a 500 point movie.  I get that Clockwork Orange could be hated and not able to get there, but Wonka should have.  It's as close to a perfect movie as they could make at the time and the story doesn't just hold up now, but it is one of those that transcend storytelling.

The abortion of a remake should have led to criminal charges for everyone involved.

Willy Wonka is a 500 point movie.  I get that Clockwork Orange could be hated and not able to get there, but Wonka should have.  It's as close to a perfect movie as they could make at the time and the story doesn't just hold up now, but it is one of those that transcend storytelling.

The abortion of a remake should have led to criminal charges for everyone involved.
The Gen X Wizard of Oz

Great point. What is the millenial film that fills that void? It would have to be something like 80s/early 90s. 
Dumb & Dumber

Like everything else, wonder became a formula, and the theme of every animated movie. I bet Toy Story or Lion King resonates similarly in some small way for millies, but their every precious moment is a wonder anyways. Like Aristotle said, "If all men are my brothers, then none are..."

Great point. What is the millenial film that fills that void? It would have to be something like 80s/early 90s. 
Great question.  I like The Lion King as an answer but feel it should be a live-action film to carry that mantle.  Flash Gordon and Never Ending Story probably came out too early.  Not finding a near-perfect candidate

Dumb & Dumber

Like everything else, wonder became a formula, and the theme of every animated movie. I bet Toy Story or Lion King resonates similarly in some small way for millies, but their every precious moment is a wonder anyways. Like Aristotle said, "If all men are my brothers, then none are..."
Those are good ones. Jurassic Park also came to my mind

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there" is the opening line of The Go-Between.  It sets the tone for a movie that's as much about remembrance as it is about class differences in Victorian England.

That last sentence probably lost a lot of viewers but rewatching it was worth my time.  I returned to the film after around 40 years.  When I first saw it, I was much closer in age to the 13 year old title character but now I'm more like the mostly silent narrator who adds perspective in the modern (vague 50-60s) framing story when he's called up to serve as a go-between again.

1971 Julie Christie is as wonderful to look at as 1971 Jane Fonda and the battle for her affections is at the story's core.  The film is gorgeous with long exterior shots that look like JMW Turner landscapes.  There aren't a lot of movies with a script by a future Nobel laureate and this is regarded as one of Harold Pinter's best work in the medium.  It's an adaptation of a 1950s novel so I don't know how much of the dialog is Pinter's, but he does a great job with sparse revealing exposition. In particular, the way the modern story is introduced is brilliant.

It's a tough movie to sell on a message board but it's going to get high points from me.
@Eephus:  I watched it, just under the wire for my Amazon rental!

I agree with everything you've said here, especially about its being shot so gorgeously.  I might not have been as taken with the Pinter script as you were.  I don't know if it was the source material he was working with, or just the fact that I prefer his style in a play to a movie (generally).  All that being sad, I liked but didn't love the movie and can't figure out why.  It was certainly a bit plodding, at least in the beginning, but that usually doesn't bother me.  Somehow I just didn't connect that much with it.  It might need a rewatch sometime to take it all in a bit better.

@Eephus:  I watched it, just under the wire for my Amazon rental!

I agree with everything you've said here, especially about its being shot so gorgeously.  I might not have been as taken with the Pinter script as you were.  I don't know if it was the source material he was working with, or just the fact that I prefer his style in a play to a movie (generally).  All that being sad, I liked but didn't love the movie and can't figure out why.  It was certainly a bit plodding, at least in the beginning, but that usually doesn't bother me.  Somehow I just didn't connect that much with it.  It might need a rewatch sometime to take it all in a bit better.
Glad you watched it and KP won't have to do a recount.

I found the movie stayed with me for a while when I watched it for this thread.  Some movies pass through my memory like a sieve.  If I watch a superhero movie I forget about the beginning of it before it ends. 

Glad you watched it and KP won't have to do a recount.

I found the movie stayed with me for a while when I watched it for this thread.  Some movies pass through my memory like a sieve.  If I watch a superhero movie I forget about the beginning of it before it ends. 
I need to find time to watch that- I like that sort of story and setting, seems like a kind of precursor the the Merchant Ivory stuff. 

#1  420pts

18/12

Not exactly the charming film it's purported to be

Willy Wonka, as played by Gene Wilder, is the grown-up stranger all parents warn their kids not to talk to. He's smarmy. He's a little TOO friendly. He's horribly frightening. And to my utter astonishment, he turns out to be deadly. If I were 10 years old and I encountered Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka, I would run screaming from his presence as fast as my terrified little legs would carry me. I certainly wouldn't accept an invitation to visit his hellish chocolate factory where small children are slurped to their demise in giant vats of confection. This is supposed to be a CHILDREN'S film? It belongs on a double-feature bill with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." What a perverted, hateful movie, and what a dirty trick to play on innocent children.

WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Post-Culture Review‏ @PostCultRev Aug 5

WILLY WONKA: Welcome to my child-murder factory

EVERYONE: Wait, what?

WILLY WONKA: You ####### heard me

Users who are viewing this thread