What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1971 It's Countdown Monday! (1 Viewer)

My musts would be the Kurosawas, Bergmans, Face in the Crowd, Paths of Glory, Anatomy of a Murder, 400 Blows, NxNW, Touch of Evil, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Searchers (racist), Giant (least repulsive of the regrettable James Deans), Rififi, Panther Panchali, Old Yeller & Shaggy Dog (if you want to know the head of a child of the 50s), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Ladykillers, Mister Roberts, Guys & Dolls, Diabolique, Moby ****, The Red Balloon, 12 Angry Men, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Some like it Hot, Black Orpheus, Plan 9 From Outer Space, and my favorite (along with NxNW), Marty
Lots of the old movies are not congruent with modern norms. The Searchers is blatantly racist, but I think that is part of the point. John Wayne is a relic. He may be the lead actor, but he isn't a hero. He is an early example of the anti-hero. He knows he has no place in the modern world. His hate destroys ruins his chances of living a peaceful life. 

@wikkidpissah - does that incled The Magician? .

Also, you not a fan of The Killing?
Next to Peter O'Toole, there's no one i enjoy watching say or do things more than Sterling Hayden, but The Killing is interestingly but shoddily constructed. I find that to be the case with most of the cinematic amuses bouches that are 50s noir and that is why there arent any on my must list even tho ive watched most of em with zeal & glee. One should find their own way thru them (altho going thru Gloria Grahame's imdb is the best guide) to get the most benefit.

Not a Bergman fan nor a Fellini fan but they and Kurosawa were my first binge watch. When i was in the music biz from '73-75, we either played big cities or colleges so there was always a revival house to go to to during our copious downtime. One of the Big Three or the French guys was usually playing, so i read about 200 films during that time and just liked having my head turned 'round by the foreign masters regularly and not having a frikkin clue what it was all about. I've never really revisited most of those films, any more than i have my LSD phase. They are all one swirling fissionic mass in my head like a power source in a Marvel flick but i cant really tell one from the other. Just a thang.

Next to Peter O'Toole, there's no one i enjoy watching say or do things more than Sterling Hayden, but The Killing is interestingly but shoddily constructed. I find that to be the case with most of the cinematic amuses bouches that are 50s noir and that is why there arent any on my must list even tho ive watched most of em with zeal & glee. One should find their own way thru them (altho going thru Gloria Grahame's imdb is the best guide) to get the most benefit.

Not a Bergman fan nor a Fellini fan but they and Kurosawa were my first binge watch. When i was in the music biz from '73-75, we either played big cities or colleges so there was always a revival house to go to to during our copious downtime. One of the Big Three or the French guys was usually playing, so i read about 200 films during that time and just liked having my head turned 'round by the foreign masters regularly and not having a frikkin clue what it was all about. I've never really revisited most of those films, any more than i have my LSD phase. They are all one swirling fissionic mass in my head like a power source in a Marvel flick but i cant really tell one from the other. Just a thang.
The goddess of the gutter

I tell you what we're gonna do, Marlboro. You're gonna take that ####### J.C. Penney tie off and we're gonna have an old fashioned man to man drinking party.
I love that movie sooooo much. I dont even tell folks how much cuz i'm selfish with it and like that a lot of people dont know about it. it's OK with me.....

I know it's the thing to discuss the next year/era in the thread, but it drives me ####### insane because I'm focusing on this year and don't want to have to go back to an old thread, or sometimes even two threads ago, to see what people recommended or thought.

Is it possible just to start the late 50s thread now so we can get that in there?  Or something?  This is 1971, for pete's sake.

I know it's the thing to discuss the next year/era in the thread, but it drives me ####### insane because I'm focusing on this year and don't want to have to go back to an old thread, or sometimes even two threads ago, to see what people recommended or thought.

Is it possible just to start the late 50s thread now so we can get that in there?  Or something?  This is 1971, for pete's sake.
I have no problem with that.  I think this is really the first time I have jumped ahead in the discussion, so I get it.

I just wanted to share a movie that I really enjoyed from 1971 and let me preface it by saying I totally get that it's not for everyone but it's a movie called "A New Leaf" and it stars Walter Matthau and Elaine May (Elaine co-wrote the screen play and directed it.)  It's a romantic/comedy, I think it's one of those movies you sit down with your wife or SO on a weekend evening and either you really enjoy it or roll your eyes and wonder why you listened to some idiot from the FFA.

I first saw it years ago on Turner Classic Movies back when Robert Osbourne used to do those introductions before the movie would start.  My wife and I have watched this movie a number of times and she's usually a one and done type of viewer. 

Here's the description from a google search :

A spoiled and self-absorbed man who has squandered his inheritance, Henry Graham (Walter Matthau) is desperate to find a way to maintain his lavish lifestyle. Henry sees an opportunity when he meets Henrietta Lowell (Elaine May), an awkward and bookish heiress. Though Henry courts Henrietta, he has no intention of remaining with her, and he develops a surprisingly sinister scheme. As Henry attempts to execute his plan, he finds that seeing it through may not be as easy as he had thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yankee23Fan -

I am fine with a TV movie like Brian's Song being on lists.  Maybe I am opening a can of worms and there will be unintended consequences, but I think there are a handful of examples like that were we should open it up to stuff like that.  
Since Brian's Song is allowed, it is too bad The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman wasn't in the 1974 poll.  

I am sure they will all get reposted again when the new thread comes up. 

I am sure they will all get reposted again when the new thread comes up. 
I hope so.  Sorry if my post sounded harsh and/or cranky.  I love these threads and polls.

It’s hard to figure a standout film (a la Major League :lmao:  ) that will top the 1971 rankings.  Looks like it could be A Clockwork Orange or Willy Wonka based on votes so far.  Both terrific, but the best movie of a year?  I dunno.

I didn't realize that A Clockwork Orange was 1971.  Need to resubmit my list:

A Clockwork Orange   25

Bananas   18

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory   18

THX 1138   16

The Omega Man   14

Play Misty for Me   12

Vanishing Point   12

Le Mans   10

Straw Dogs   10

Billy Jack   10

Klute   8

Carnal Knowledge   8

Dirty Harry   8

Harold and Maude   8

Escape from the Planet of the Apes   6

Shaft   6

The Last Picture Show   4

Summer of '42   3

The Panic in Needle Park   2

Willard   2

1. Clockwork Orange 27 points

2. Willy Wonka 23 points

3. Straw Dogs 17 points

4. Fiddler on the Roof 16 points

5. Last Picture Show 14 points

6. Klute 12 points

7. Bananas 10 points

8. The Abominable Dr. Phibes 30 points (9 wikkid points)

9. Walkabout 8 points

10. Dirty Harry  7 points

11. Carnival Knowledge 6 points

12. The Decameron 5 points

13. McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5 points

14. Murmur of the Heart 4 points

15. Sunday Bloody Sunday 4 points

16, Vanishing Point 3 points

17. 200 Motels 3 points

18. Johnny Got His Gun 2 points

19. Sweet Sweetback Badass Song 2 points

20. The Music Lovers 2 points

I only want to give max points to Duel.

This year is just not for me at all. I don't really even like Willy Wonka very much. 

I'm about halfway through "Duck, You Sucker", Sergio Leone's final Western from 1971 ("Once Upon a Time in America" was the only other film he made afterwards.)  I'd seen it before many years ago in what was probably a heavily edited TV version. 

The movie resembles "Once Upon a Time in the West" more than Leone's trilogy with Clint Eastwood.  It's a sprawling epic that alternates between taking it's sweet time within scenes and jumping abruptly between them.  Rod Steiger plays a Mexican bandit alongside James Coburn as an Irish expatriate explosives expert.  It fits in the Spaghetti Western sub-genre of Zapata Westerns that are set during the Mexican revolution and throw in the occasional Marxist polemic.  The film opens with a quote from Mao but don't let that scare you away; it's a terrific action movie with massive set pieces and lots of things getting blown up.

It's streaming on Amazon Prime under its alternate title "A Fistful of Dynamite".  It's an excellent print with the original uncut 157 minute run-time.  It's definitely going to make my list but the number of points depends on the second half.

krista4 said:
I hope so.  Sorry if my post sounded harsh and/or cranky.  I love these threads and polls.

It’s hard to figure a standout film (a la Major League :lmao:  ) that will top the 1971 rankings.  Looks like it could be A Clockwork Orange or Willy Wonka based on votes so far.  Both terrific, but the best movie of a year?  I dunno.
Oh no worries. I am just looking forward since 71 is pretty much a wrap for me. Too many movies were too hard to find so it is an incomplete list from what I usually send

All Time Classic (20)

Willy Wonka

The Last Picture Show

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Great (15)

A Clockwork Orange

Walkabout 

Klute

Very Good (12)

French Connection

Bananas

Straw Dogs 

30    --    The French Connection

25    --    The Go-Between
15    --    McCabe & Mrs. Miller
15    --    Duel
15    --    The Last Picture Show
10    --    Duck You Sucker / A Fistful of Dynamite
10    --    Harold and Maude
10    --    A Clockwork Orange
10    --    Traffic
10    --    Dirty Harry
10    --    Vanishing Point
5    --    Murmur of the Heart
5    --    Klute
5    --    Le Mans
5    --    Play Misty for Me
5    --    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
5    --    Walkabout
5    --    Two Lane Blacktop
5    --    The Emigrants

Oh ####, I totally forgot about Harold and Maude...I need to squeeze that in this weekend. I know that is at the library. 

1. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  2. A Clockwork Orange
  3. The Conformist
  4. The French Connection 
  5. Bananas
  6. The Devils 
  7. Walkabout 
  8. Little Murders
  9. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
  10. The Last Picture Show
  11. And Now for Something Completely Different
  12. Murmur of the Heart 
  13. Support Your Local Gunfighter
  14. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  15. Harold and Maude
  16. Klute 
  17. The Omega Man 
  18. Duck You Sucker

couple thoughts...

surprised at the love Duel is getting... that was some serious schlock.

I've told the story a bunch in here about seeing Willy Wonka in the theater with my mom... and running out in tears twice- the second time (after violet turns violet violet) I was out the door, out the lobby and away-she had to chase me down (giggling the entire time... damn cow) the sidewalk because #### that ####- I was out of there. but this one is one of my all time favorite movies and one of my all time favorite performances. love this movie.

also love how the Conformist looks. love. I couldn't tell you much more than that... fascism.. italy... and stunning to look at.

little murders hopefully gets some love. not great, but fun directorial debut by alan arkin... and I forget who wrote it- but somebody good.

and I love the soccer scene in bedknobs and broomsticks... not that I'd get high and watch it over and over and over, but yeah.

Jules Feiffer, my favorite children's book author, Playboy cartoonist and author of another top '71 flick, Carnal Knowledge
Yes! Boy. I saw CK on a rerelease somewhere and really didn't get/like it. Couldn't wait for it to be over in spite of garfunkles hilarious performance.

1. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  2. A Clockwork Orange
  3. The Conformist
  4. The French Connection 
  5. Bananas
  6. The Devils 
  7. Walkabout 
  8. Little Murders
  9. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
  10. The Last Picture Show
  11. And Now for Something Completely Different
  12. Murmur of the Heart 
  13. Support Your Local Gunfighter
  14. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  15. Harold and Maude
  16. Klute 
  17. The Omega Man 
  18. Duck You Sucker
@El Floppo - Just making sure - you assigning points, or you just want me to go down the list as is?

So far we have a Godfather-level clean sweep running and 3 movies clearly running away from the pack.  3 over 200pts, 3 over 100pts currently.  

Age has nothing to do with it for me, as these movies are older than me but I still sent in a list.  Heck, you could put up a 1930's category and I could come up with a list.
I know, just taking shots.  I expected this one and the 50s to be a little less popular though.  Not an age thing, but I don't think the classics stir a wide # of people in the FFA.  Like I said, I think the mid-80s will be telling and I think we will get some more people hopping back on.  If not, we will just roll with the 15-20 of us who are consistently submitting lists.  

I know, just taking shots.  I expected this one and the 50s to be a little less popular though.  Not an age thing, but I don't think the classics stir a wide # of people in the FFA.  Like I said, I think the mid-80s will be telling and I think we will get some more people hopping back on.  If not, we will just roll with the 15-20 of us who are consistently submitting lists.  
Hopefully being such a wide net, you get some lists for the 50s. 

Hopefully being such a wide net, you get some lists for the 50s. 
I think the interest seemed high enough, and we should get at least the same # as the last couple years.   I think it's going to be interesting trying to narrow it down since there is a good chance that if you like the decade enough to do a list, you like it enough to have seen and love quite a few of the movies.  

Users who are viewing this thread