What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1971 It's Countdown Monday! (3 Viewers)

And Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry.....iconic role for him.
Dirty Harry is one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies. Most of the writers that wrote Dirty Harry also wrote Big Jake that John Wayne was in during the same year.

Final list updated

The Andromeda Strain - 30

A Clockwork Orange - 30

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory - 30

Duel - 20

Brian's Song - 20

Dirty Harry - 20

Escape From The Planet Of The Apes - 20

Fiddler On The Roof - 10

The French Connection - 10

Omega Man - 10

Reveal hidden contents
man I lovvvvved Omega Man back in the day.  

man I lovvvvved Omega Man back in the day.  
Funny, I saw it on TCM a few years ago and thought it was all right but not great.  Disclaimer- I saw it after I saw I Am Legend so I may have been overly familiar with the story and spoiled by the latter's special effects.

I'm skipping this one because I'm pretty sure the only movies I've seen and somewhat like from this year were Willy Wonka and Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Noticed that “The Last Picture Show” is airing on Movies! on Friday afternoon.  Thought I’d pass that along if anyone (like me) has it on their watch list.
Watched The Last Picture Show tonight.  Man, that was good.  It has been awhile since I’ve seen a movie for the first time that hit me like that.  Acting all around was great.  I mostly know Cloris Leachman from Mel Brooks-type stuff, but that was one of the better performances I’ve seen.  I can see why both her and Sam Johnson won Oscars.  Welles’ influence on Bogdanovich with the cinematography and lighting were pretty apparent too.

I’m not sure what took me this long to get around to watching it, but glad this poll got me around to finally doing so.

Watched The Last Picture Show tonight.  Man, that was good.  It has been awhile since I’ve seen a movie for the first time that hit me like that.  Acting all around was great.  I mostly know Cloris Leachman from Mel Brooks-type stuff, but that was one of the better performances I’ve seen.  I can see why both her and Sam Johnson won Oscars.  Welles’ influence on Bogdanovich with the cinematography and lighting were pretty apparent too.

I’m not sure what took me this long to get around to watching it, but glad this poll got me around to finally doing so.
Really is a great film with a loaded cast. I am surprised Timothy Bottoms didn't do more in his career as he was really exceptional. Cybill Shepherd was just stunning in it. She has to be on a pretty short list of most beautiful women in a movie. Like Hepburn in Roman Holiday or Hayworth in Gilda. The film is like the other side of the American Graffiti coin. AG is early 60s where TLPS was early 50s, but both kind of show a similar time period of post WW2/Cold War/pre counter culture. AG is California and brimming with opportunity and possibility. TLPS is North Texas, void of all hope. 

Cybill Shepherd was just stunning in it. She has to be on a pretty short list of most beautiful women in a movie. Like Hepburn in Roman Holiday or Hayworth in Gilda. 
Not only stunningly pretty but both the best "right here, right now" smile AND the best "why not right here, right now?" pout in the biz.

I actually hated this flick when it came out, probably because i was a runaway when it did and the cowboy part of the world was being decidedly unkind to hitchers & hippiefreaks @ the time, so i didnt give two armadillo turds about their li'l prolims. my re-watch, just a couplefew yrs ago, was almost as much a revelation as Don Quixote's

Last edited by a moderator:
A brutal cold and the pouring rain have ruined my hiking plans for the day, so it'll be a 1971 movie day instead.  I had these on my list as recommendations from this thread.  Knowing my tastes, does anyone have any you think I'd like in particular?

Klute

The Go-Between

Sunday Bloody Sunday

The Decameron

Panic in Needle Park

The Music Lovers

Murmur of the Heart

Little Murders

The Night Visitor

Gumshoe

They Might be Giants

The Villain

The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight

Vanishing Point

Johnny Got His Gun

Play Misty for Me

The Hospital

Death in Venice

Man in the Wilderness

The Emigrants

200 Motels

Can’t really say since Klute is the only one I’ve seen. It’s neo-noir. A detective in over his head and a not so typical hooker team up try to find a missing man.

Death in Venice is the only one of those that I’ve seen. Arthouse type movie. Seems up your alley given your other lists.

A brutal cold and the pouring rain have ruined my hiking plans for the day, so it'll be a 1971 movie day instead.  I had these on my list as recommendations from this thread.  Knowing my tastes, does anyone have any you think I'd like in particular?
You'll either really love or really hate The Music Lovers (it's the one that launched the inimitable Ken Russell into notice), probably same w Murmurs of the Heart. The Hospital (by Paddy Chayevsky) & Little Murders (Jules Feiffer) are the best reflection of the way smart people were seeing the world in '71. The Emigrants certainly sets up to be a Kristaflik™. The Decameron & Sunday Bloody Sunday are movies one must see for history's sake as a cinephile. So Klute

She was beautiful and super talented. I wasn’t alive at the time but it seemed to be like she really got unfairly smeared. She was right, the US was completely in the wrong in Vietnam.
Well if you were alive at that time, and in a military town, or had family in the military, you wouldn't feel that way.  

Left-wing activists, by & large, have been just as ugly a bunch as right-wing activists. And one of the things that gets lost in the many layers of our involvement in SEAsia is the distinct class difference between those who fought in Vietnam and those who didn't and it got ugly between them. Fonda was the face of the suburban, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses new middle class who inclined too much toward calling our soldiers 'babykillers' and spitting at people in uniform, something their targets will never forget. Even though my politics were the same as Fonda's - to this day, i could probably be booted off this site if i expressed my true feelings toward our Hero Sector - i knew the anti-war movement was disingenuous & brattish (and would end as soon as the draft did), saw their behavior as counterproductive, and focused more on the racial-equality aspects of leftist politics, where one could let their stank out in good conscience.

Has anyone seen The Devils? It sounds good (A dramatised historical account of the rise and fall of Urbain Grandier, a 17th-century Roman Catholic priest accused of witchcraft following alleged demonic possessions of sexually repressed nuns), has a great cast with Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave.

I'd like to see Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets...but I don't think I am going to find that anywhere.
The devils... Russell? Enjoyed that a thing bunch... Saw it in a revival somewhere.

The devils... Russell? Enjoyed that a thing bunch... Saw it in a revival somewhere.
Yeah nice. Michigan libraries allow you to order anything from any other Michigan lottery so it’s coming to me soon. It’s tough to find some of these less popular older films.

I won’t wade any farther into this political talk- especially since it’s about an actress and not a film. 

Left-wing activists, by & large, have been just as ugly a bunch as right-wing activists. And one of the things that gets lost in the many layers of our involvement in SEAsia is the distinct class difference between those who fought in Vietnam and those who didn't and it got ugly between them. Fonda was the face of the suburban, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses new middle class who inclined too much toward calling our soldiers 'babykillers' and spitting at people in uniform, something their targets will never forget. Even though my politics were the same as Fonda's - to this day, i could probably be booted off this site if i expressed my true feelings toward our Hero Sector - i knew the anti-war movement was disingenuous & brattish (and would end as soon as the draft did), saw their behavior as counterproductive, and focused more on the racial-equality aspects of leftist politics, where one could let their stank out in good conscience.
That’s always been a fascinating element of the whole 60s hippy generation to me. Look at what they became. I know a lot of people hate The Eagles but I don’t think anyone ever delivered a more skewering line on that generation than Henley:

Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac

That’s always been a fascinating element of the whole 60s hippy generation to me. Look at what they became. I know a lot of people hate The Eagles but I don’t think anyone ever delivered a more skewering line on that generation than Henley:

Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
Growing up in Marin where the dead all lived, there were dead stickers on all manner of luxury cars. 

Growing up in Marin where the dead all lived, there were dead stickers on all manner of luxury cars. 
I believe that and that’s why it’s such a burning line. It’s a real observation. 

Page 8 bump to remind people to do some summer research.  

I've got my 70s movies watched and just scraped out a list.  There were some good ones that I watched new, like Klute and French Connection.  It's still in that realm for me of not much blowing me away after the top 5 or so,  and these 70s movies still holding me at arm's length.  

Now I need to replenish my 50s supply and get on watching them.  Most of them were due soon from the library and didn't get to much as I tried to give '71 more of an honest try.  At home I have Throne of Blood, Kiss Me Deadly, and I think I have The Trouble with Harry on the dvr from the Hitchcock marathon on TCM that aired several months ago.  That should get me through the weekend and I will get a stack at the start of the week.  

I've got my 70s movies watched and just scraped out a list.  There were some good ones that I watched new, like Klute and French Connection.  It's still in that realm for me of not much blowing me away after the top 5 or so,  and these 70s movies still holding me at arm's length.  

Now I need to replenish my 50s supply and get on watching them.  Most of them were due soon from the library and didn't get to much as I tried to give '71 more of an honest try.  At home I have Throne of Blood, Kiss Me Deadly, and I think I have The Trouble with Harry on the dvr from the Hitchcock marathon on TCM that aired several months ago.  That should get me through the weekend and I will get a stack at the start of the week.  
I'll be interested in your take on The Trouble with Harry.

Also open to recommendations that are available on Amazon Prime

KarmaPolice said:

I am glad you liked Klute. I haven't been watching so many movies recently with the weather being so nice. I just finished Walkabout and that was worth the watch- it's almost part documentary about the Aussie outback. It's slow moving but visually something worth seeing IMO. 

I freaking love Throne of Blood. 

Andy Dufresne said:
TTWH is funny in the Hitchcockian way. I watched it twice. 

Keith R said:
I agree with this.  Not top-tier Hitch but typically thorough, like the depth The Birds gets before the action starts.  Though more amusing than that.
Yeah it's pretty light as Hitch goes. I liked Frenzy better if we are talking the late Hitch movies. Both are surprisingly funny given the story matter. \\

The Birds is maybe my least favorite Hitchcock film. Everything about it is good except the bird effects are so bad that it makes the movie ridiculous. 

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there" is the opening line of The Go-Between.  It sets the tone for a movie that's as much about remembrance as it is about class differences in Victorian England.

That last sentence probably lost a lot of viewers but rewatching it was worth my time.  I returned to the film after around 40 years.  When I first saw it, I was much closer in age to the 13 year old title character but now I'm more like the mostly silent narrator who adds perspective in the modern (vague 50-60s) framing story when he's called up to serve as a go-between again.

1971 Julie Christie is as wonderful to look at as 1971 Jane Fonda and the battle for her affections is at the story's core.  The film is gorgeous with long exterior shots that look like JMW Turner landscapes.  There aren't a lot of movies with a script by a future Nobel laureate and this is regarded as one of Harold Pinter's best work in the medium.  It's an adaptation of a 1950s novel so I don't know how much of the dialog is Pinter's, but he does a great job with sparse revealing exposition. In particular, the way the modern story is introduced is brilliant.

It's a tough movie to sell on a message board but it's going to get high points from me.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there" is the opening line of The Go-Between.  It sets the tone for a movie that's as much about remembrance as it is about class differences in Victorian England.

That last sentence probably lost a lot of viewers but rewatching it was worth my time.  I returned to the film after around 40 years.  When I first saw it, I was much closer in age to the 13 year old title character but now I'm more like the mostly silent narrator who adds perspective in the modern (vague 50-60s) framing story when he's called up to serve as a go-between again.

1971 Julie Christie is as wonderful to look at as 1971 Jane Fonda and the battle for her affections is at the story's core.  The film is gorgeous with long exterior shots that look like JMW Turner landscapes.  There aren't a lot of movies with a script by a future Nobel laureate and this is regarded as one of Harold Pinter's best work in the medium.  It's an adaptation of a 1950s novel so I don't know how much of the dialog is Pinter's, but he does a great job with sparse revealing exposition. In particular, the way the modern story is introduced is brilliant.

It's a tough movie to sell on a message board but it's going to get high points from me.
Sounds interesting but there isn't a library in Michigan with a DVD of it and it's not streaming anywhere. That is a tough one to find. I was trying to find The Devils and got it sent over from another Michigan library. When I picked it up, it was VHS tapes. I hadn't know that when I requested it and have no way of watching it. Unless they are classics,  older movies can be tough to find. 

Sounds interesting but there isn't a library in Michigan with a DVD of it and it's not streaming anywhere. That is a tough one to find. I was trying to find The Devils and got it sent over from another Michigan library. When I picked it up, it was VHS tapes. I hadn't know that when I requested it and have no way of watching it. Unless they are classics,  older movies can be tough to find. 
I'm a notorious cheapskate when it comes to videos but the Go-Between was worth three bucks from Amazon.

I'm having this problem with a ton of movies that had been recommended here.  Have ended up taking them off my list as being impossible for me to find.  I'd definitely be into this one.  Edit:  just looked it up and see it's on Amazon?  Next on my list, then.

In the meantime, I have watched three from recommendations in this thread.  Klute was shockingly good, and Jane Fonda's performance was one of the best I've ever seen.  Death in Venice was like a gorgeous painting (with a pace that matched watching paint dry, though I don't mind that), generally faithful to the book, and interesting yet depressing as a result.  The Hospital - eesh, I can admire its script, admire its performances, and still didn't enjoy it at all.  It was very shouty.

A lot of movies from this year that I've wanted to see for some time but never got around to it.  Not going to happen this week either.  Here is my mediocre list.

A Clockwork Orange - 30

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - 30

Duel - 20

French Connection - 20

Johnny Got His Gun - 15

Escape from the Planet of the Apes - 5

Fiddler on the Roof - 5

Dirty Harry - 3

Brian's Song - 2

Billy Jack - 1

List is in.  Really wanted to make sure that several movies got big point totals which meant shortening my list.

Also, my list does not include Brian's Song as I don't see that there was a ruling.  If it is allowed, I have to alter my list.  So, you know, let me know.

A Clockwork Orange 30

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 30

The French Connection 28

Bananas 20

Duel 16

Fiddler on the Roof 15

Dirty Harry 15

Escape From the Planet of the Apes 15

Brian's Song 12

Diamonds Are Forever 8

Play Misty For Me 5

Godzilla v. the Smog Monster 3

Willard 3

By request, some 1955 films worth a look;

The Night of the Hunter,

Bad Day at Black Rock,

Les Diaboliques

Kiss Me Deadly

And just in case some have not seen them - Rebel Without a Cause and Lady and the Tramp

I haven't been able to watch for 1971 as much as I would have liked.  Happy for the extra week.  I wish more options were streaming.  It's not that renting is expensive; I just rarely get the opportunity/awakeness to watch a two hour movie in one sitting after work and tend to spread it out (so, renting not really an option where they make you watch it within 24-48 hours after starting).  Really hoping I can find a couple of hours to rent McCabe & Mrs. Miller before the poll closes, at least.

By the way, "Gigi" airing on TCM tomorrow night for 55-59 research purposes.

Bananas   20

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory   20

THX 1138   15

The Omega Man   15

Play Misty for Me   12

Vanishing Point   12

Le Mans   12

Straw Dogs   12

Billy Jack   12

Klute   8

Carnal Knowledge   8

Dirty Harry   8

Escape from the Planet of the Apes   8

Harold and Maude   8

Shaft   8

The Last Picture Show   5

Summer of '42   5

The Panic in Needle Park   4

Willard   4

Support Your Local Gunfighter!   4

Honorable Mention

200 Motels

The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight

Raid on Rommel

Minnie and Moskowitz

By request, some 1955 films worth a look;

The Night of the Hunter,

Bad Day at Black Rock,

Les Diaboliques

Kiss Me Deadly

And just in case some have not seen them - Rebel Without a Cause and Lady and the Tramp
Not sure if someone requested 55 specifically but it’s going to be 55-59 all in one.

I need to see Black Rocks and would recommend Rififi for that 55 list. Maybe the best film of the year after The Night of the Hunter.
I need to see Rififi.  Any idea where it may be available?

I need to see Rififi.  Any idea where it may be available?
Not sure, I saw it when it aired on TCM a yesterday or 2 ago- that’s how I’ve seen most older movies. Depending where you live, the library? I know my library has it on DVD/Blu Ray in their foreign language section.

My musts would be the Kurosawas, Bergmans, Face in the Crowd, Paths of Glory, Anatomy of a Murder, 400 Blows, NxNW, Touch of Evil, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Searchers (racist), Giant (least repulsive of the regrettable James Deans), Rififi, Panther Panchali, Old Yeller & Shaggy Dog (if you want to know the head of a child of the 50s), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Ladykillers, Mister Roberts, Guys & Dolls, Diabolique, Moby ****, The Red Balloon, 12 Angry Men, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Some like it Hot, Black Orpheus, Plan 9 From Outer Space, and my favorite (along with NxNW), Marty

List is in.  Really wanted to make sure that several movies got big point totals which meant shortening my list.

Also, my list does not include Brian's Song as I don't see that there was a ruling.  If it is allowed, I have to alter my list.  So, you know, let me know.
@Yankee23Fan -

I am fine with a TV movie like Brian's Song being on lists.  Maybe I am opening a can of worms and there will be unintended consequences, but I think there are a handful of examples like that were we should open it up to stuff like that.  

My musts would be the Kurosawas, Bergmans, Face in the Crowd, Paths of Glory, Anatomy of a Murder, 400 Blows, NxNW, Touch of Evil, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Searchers (racist), Giant (least repulsive of the regrettable James Deans), Rififi, Panther Panchali, Old Yeller & Shaggy Dog (if you want to know the head of a child of the 50s), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Ladykillers, Mister Roberts, Guys & Dolls, Diabolique, Moby ****, The Red Balloon, 12 Angry Men, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Some like it Hot, Black Orpheus, Plan 9 From Outer Space, and my favorite (along with NxNW), Marty
@wikkidpissah - does that incled The Magician? .

Also, you not a fan of The Killing?

Users who are viewing this thread