What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre's latest comments about Rodgers (1 Viewer)

FGITLOTR

Footballguy
"I'm going to be honest, I was not surprised. The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn't do it sooner. My last year in Green Bay prior to the first game, I made the remark that this was probably the most talented team that I've ever played on. And of course everyone looked up and was like, 'This guy's off his rocker.'

"We were very, very young; take me out of the mix and we were by far the youngest team in the league. But I could see the talent pool across the board was outstanding. Now our season kind of ended up being a reflection of that. We came close, and I think we took a lot of people by surprise, but guys emerged rather quickly. Aaron had a chance…even though the last couple years it's seemed like he's almost a rookie, he's been around awhile. And I'd like to think that he watched, he learned, and then when he got a chance to play, he brought in his ability which is obviously very good or they wouldn't have drafted him in the first round. He's got tremendous talent, he's very bright and he got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right.

"And so, he just kind of fell into a good situation. On top of that, he's a good player. I don't think there's any pressure on him now, the talent around him is even better than when I was there. So I'm really kind of surprised it took him so long. In the early part of last year season, it hadn't quite clicked yet and I didn't know it would. I just kind of figured when they hit their stride, they're going to be hard to beat. And that's what happened."

Brett Favre never ceases to amaze me--what a loser!!

Am I the only person in America who doesn't think Favre was trying to slight Rodgers?

"his ability which is obviously very good"

"He's got tremendous talent, he's very bright"

"he's a good player"

Wasn't that bad?? How about when he said he was surprised he didn't win sooner LOL Come on, that guy has no class and is absolute bafoon

It wasn't that bad except the line 'he just fell into a good situation'.
I don't even think that was bad because I do remember Favre talking about how talented that team was in his last year.
He said something similar in 09 with his Vikings team. Yes it was a slight in my opinion. But lets not kid ourselves, Favre is short on class. I just wish he would shut up and go ride his tractor.

As a whole, it sounds pretty accurate to me. Don't go out of your way looking for reasons to hate Favre.

I don't even think that was bad because I do remember Favre talking about how talented that team was in his last year.
He said something similar in 09 with his Vikings team. Yes it was a slight in my opinion. But lets not kid ourselves, Favre is short on class. I just wish he would shut up and go ride his tractor.
I couldn't agree more and find it perplexing that more people don't see this as Favre taking a shot at ARod.

I remember reading reports (sorry, no link) that Favre refused to mentor Rodgers while he was at Green Bay and when asked about it Brett's reply was something to the effect of "it's not my job." That was a true statement, but if that was the case then he shouldn't express any surprise that Rodgers has not accomplished more.

OMG....people will find any reason to complain about Favre. There is NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH in these comments to get bent out of shape about. Everything he said is pretty much spot on.

ONly a Favre hater would hold this statement against Favre. I'm no Favre apologist, but this attack is beyond ludicrous. Nothing to see here.

Favre, like many greats, is a jerk when he is not the man. I am not sure that Favre even thought of this as a slam - it's just him being the jerk he is.

Am I the only person in America who doesn't think Favre was trying to slight Rodgers? "his ability which is obviously very good""He's got tremendous talent, he's very bright""he's a good player"
All depends on which side of the favre fence you fall. If you are hater you view it one way if not you view the other.

Farve is one of those guys who really misses the game, and really does not know what to do with himself out side the game.

Right now Favre is looking for anyway to be relevent again. Money does not make up for the rush you get from playing and having the media chase you all over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love and hate how anything to do with the NFL gets discussed in here . This discussion however is on the hate side.

Favre's right. The Packers went to the NFC title game and nearly the Super Bowl the year before Rodgers took over. I don't know how many first-year starting QBs inherit a near Super Bowl team. There's nothing about these comments that should get anyone bent out of shape. But because Favre said them and because they're about Rodgers people are going to get all worked up over nothing and create a story where there isn't one.

I think this is one of those quotes that, if you're inclined to hate on Favre before you even read a word of it, you're going to find a million things wrong with it, whereas anyone else would find it completely innocent.

I think this is one of those quotes that, if you're inclined to hate on Favre before you even read a word of it, you're going to find a million things wrong with it, whereas anyone else would find it completely innocent.
Bingo. The sad thing is some folks despise Favre so much they're going to make something out of nothing and ignore the fact he said a lot of good things about Rodgers and how good of a quarterback he is.

I think Bob Wolfley nails it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/131072208.html

What you want from the former star, when he talks about the current star of your team, is generosity, grace, clarity and genuine admiration.

What you get from Brett Favre, when he talked about Aaron Rodgers during a radio on Tuesday, is a dash of generosity, a dearth of grace, an absence of clarity and an admiration couched in backhanded compliments.

Talk about a passive-aggressive expression of praise for your successor.

In the interview the former Packers quarterback did with a radio station in Atlanta, WQXI-AM (790), Favre was asked what his thoughts were as he watched Rodgers and the Packers during their championship run last season.

"I’m going to be honest, I was not surprised," Favre said. "The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn’t do it sooner."

Sooner? Sooner than what? Sooner than Rodgers’ third season as a starter?

Favre said the last season in Green Bay (2007) proved what he had said at the beginning of that run – it was the most talented team he had ever played on.

"I could see the talent pool across the board was outstanding," Favre said. "Now our season kind of ended up being a reflection of that. We came close, and I think we took a lot of people by surprise, but guys emerged rather quickly."

So Rodgers takes over in 2008 and the team Favre called the most talented he ever played on went 6-10.

Is that the implication?

Let’s go on.

"Aaron had a chance . . . even though the last couple years it’s seemed like he’s almost a rookie, he’s been around awhile," Favre said. "And I’d like to think that he watched, he learned, and then when he got a chance to play, he brought in his ability which is obviously very good or they wouldn’t have drafted him in the first round. He’s got tremendous talent, he’s very bright and he got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right. And so he just kind of fell into a good situation. On top of that, he’s a good player. I don’t think anyone would question now the talent around him is even better than when I was there. So I’m really kind of surprised it took him so long. Really, the early part of last year season, it hadn’t quite clicked yet and I didn’t know if it would. I just kind of figured when they hit their stride, they’re going to be hard to beat. And that’s what happened."

Been around awhile. Fell into a good situation. Really kind of surprised. Hadn’t quite clicked.

Now if you consider that genuine praise of your successor and his abilities, then you think Lady Gaga needs to make more flamboyant clothing choices for her concerts.

And, oh yes.

Favre just got done saying the 2007 team was the most talented he ever played on. But now the 2010 or ’11 Rodgers’ teams have more talent than when he was there? Which is it?

Bart Starr was unflagging and unambiguous in his praise of Favre when No. 4 was behind center in Green Bay.

Favre apparently has not yet located the same kind of generosity when talking about Rodgers.

ONly a Favre haternumbskull would hold this statement against Favre. I'm no Favre apologist, but this attack is beyond ludicrous. Nothing to see here.
I think you're incorrect. I'm a Favre hater and I wouldn't hold this statement against him. Seems accurate and fair to me.

Favre just got done saying the 2007 team was the most talented he ever played on. But now the 2010 or ’11 Rodgers’ teams have more talent than when he was there? Which is it?
It's both and that shouldn't be very difficult to comprehend. Favre said in 2007 that was the most talented team he'd played on with the Packers and a lot of people scoffed at him. Turns out that team was pretty damn good obviously. But Favre (obviously again - at least it should be) isn't playing on this Packers team so it's entirely possible this team possesses more talent than any team Favre did play on with the Packers. I would agree with him in terms of offensive talent. There's no question in my mind Rodgers has more talent to work with now (and last season) than Favre ever did. Not sure why Favre should be attacked for making a statement like that. The Packers are pretty damn good, especially offensively. That shouldn't be viewed as a controversial statement.So again, if you're not trying to create a story out of nothing, it should be pretty obvious what Favre meant.

790 The Zone is a local radio station in Atlanta, so I heard this interview live. I'm surprised this has received the press that it has. On the radio Favre sounded very complimentary of Rodgers, totally sincere. Frankly it's idiotic that he's catching flack for his comments here.

This is ESPN making a mountain out of a molehill. Favre talked about his former team just like every player does. Favre was not critical of anything relating to the Packers or Rodgers. Favre gave no indication of any contempt or scorn for either.

I saw some of ESPN today and I though it was Fox News or some other tabloid. They talked about this on a couple of shows. Who the he'll cares? Who cares what Namath says about the Jets? His comments were actually critical about the current team. Favre was nothing but complimentary.

I knew this would get talked about here and I laugh at each comment that bad mouths Favre in this thread. Either you guys enjoy your daily soap operas and detergent commercials or you are just looking to gossip about something. Enjoy.

So did he say if he was disappointed in himself for not winning another super bowl with this talented team he quit on?

So did he say if he was disappointed in himself for not winning another super bowl with this talented team he quit on?
That's the part I don't get. The Pack didn't make it to the Superbowl because Favre threw an interception to the Giants that ended the game.And other than the addition of Rodgers, who does not destroy his team's chances last year, what other upgrade did the Pack have on offense during Rodgers' Superbowl run - played without homefield advantage? Can someone explain why Rodgers' weapons were so much better? During Favre's failed run he had a younger Driver and a dominant Grant. What did Rodgers have that was so much better?

That's the part I don't get. The Pack didn't make it to the Superbowl because Favre threw an interception to the Giants that ended the game.And other than the addition of Rodgers, who does not destroy his team's chances last year, what other upgrade did the Pack have on offense during Rodgers' Superbowl run - played without homefield advantage? Can someone explain why Rodgers' weapons were so much better? During Favre's failed run he had a younger Driver and a dominant Grant. What did Rodgers have that was so much better?
So Plax running free, Al Harris not showing up, 33 yards rushing, and missed FG's played no part in it? Brett's INT was certainly the nail in the coffin but was FAR from the only reason the Packers lost that game. Then again, my memory is not what it used to be.

Am I the only person in America who doesn't think Favre was trying to slight Rodgers? "his ability which is obviously very good""He's got tremendous talent, he's very bright""he's a good player"
Some people will make any excuse they can to say something bad about the best QB to ever lace them up. Pathetic really.

Defense?

Who *hasn't* said this?The first person to say it was Tory Holt, who covered the draft and predicted the pick a few minutes before it happened. I've heard this claim fifty thousand times since then.

Some people will make any excuse they can to say something bad about the best QB to ever lace them up. Pathetic really.
I can play that game too
"The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn't do it sooner.""Aaron had a chance…even though the last couple years it's seemed like he's almost a rookie, he's been around awhile.""he got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right.""he just kind of fell into a good situation.""So I'm really kind of surprised it took him so long""In the early part of last year season, it hadn't quite clicked yet and I didn't know it would"
So, it seems like he's almost a rookie, but he's surprised it's taken him this long... and it hadn't quite clicked early last year, and he fell into a good situation and got to see how a successful team does it right... but he's really kind of surprised it took him so long? :rolleyes:

The only thing I find odd is that Favre refused to help Rodgers with anything regarding learning the position, yet now he say that he'd like to think that Rodgers learning something by watching him.

So Plax running free, Al Harris not showing up, 33 yards rushing, and missed FG's played no part in it? Brett's INT was certainly the nail in the coffin but was FAR from the only reason the Packers lost that game. Then again, my memory is not what it used to be.
No, it wasn't the ONLY reason the Pack lost. But if Favre is going to hang the Pack not winning soon enough on Rodgers, how can you not blame a QB that throws an interception in overtime, on his side of the field, in field goal range for the other team? That was one of the most horrible QB plays I've ever seen, and I'm a Niners fan. There's just some weird juxtapsoitikn of Favre failing under pressure, Rodgers succeeding, and Favre faulting Rodgers for taking too long to do what Favre couldn't do.

No, it wasn't the ONLY reason the Pack lost. But if Favre is going to hang the Pack not winning soon enough on Rodgers, how can you not blame a QB that throws an interception in overtime, on his side of the field, in field goal range for the other team? That was one of the most horrible QB plays I've ever seen, and I'm a Niners fan. There's just some weird juxtapsoitikn of Favre failing under pressure, Rodgers succeeding, and Favre faulting Rodgers for taking too long to do what Favre couldn't do.
Guess I am unable to read between the lines as I find nothing in the comments to take offense with. I certainly do not see where Brett is being critical of Rodgers. BTW...Brett did what Rodgers did (they both won SB's). Brett had a knack for untimely interceptions over the years and I cursed each and every one of them. But as with the infamous "4th and 26" game, so many mistakes were made throughout the game, that quite frankly it should not have even came down to a late interception deciding the final outcome.

The only thing I find odd is that Favre refused to help Rodgers with anything regarding learning the position, yet now he say that he'd like to think that Rodgers learning something by watching him.
Few things.A. No matter what he meant...the should have done it sooner sounded bad.B. While Favre did have the mentoring comment...Rodgers always said that Favre was very open to him when he had anything to talk about or ask him about. Favre may not have gone out of his way to train Rodgers...but he did not refuse to help him.C. As for the situation Rodgers fell into. Hardly ideal in his first year as a starter. No matter who you want to blame for the mess it was...it was not Rodgers fault and how Rodgers was treated by some that first year is nothing close to ideal...add in the pressure of being the successor of a legend...its far far far from an ideal situation.

"[he] just kind of fell into a good situation"

If you can read those words and not think he's taking a shot at Rodgers, then I really don't know what to say.

Rodgers has been nothing but completely classy throughout his entire career. He answered question after question after question about the whole situation with humility, maturity, and respect. Even if I believed that what Favre says is the truth - that Rodgers' first team was the most talented Favre had ever played on - it doesn't mean he should say that. There's no reason whatsoever for Favre to make those comments. Whether he meant them as a slight, or they just came off as dickish, it was a stupid and pointless thing to say. What he should have said after "...the real surprise was that he didn't do it sooner." was "With his talent and the potential he showed, plus the talent that Ted Thompson had put together around him, I really thought he'd do it right away. Aaron has a great opportunity to lead an all time great team." That would be the classy way to say what he said.

People that still defend Favre for everything he does seem to have difficulty separating what he did on the field vs what he did off of it. Yes, he was one of the best to ever play the game. No doubt about that, and he was one of the all time tough guys to boot. However, some people seem to think that makes him impervious to fault thereafter.

Its no coincidence that the vast majority of the beat reporters that covered him closely during his career thing he's a d-bag. For every bit as brilliant as he could be on the field, he's every bit that in pettiness, jealousy and bitterness off of it. He could have probably been elected governor of Wisconsin had he left after the 2007 season and retired. (He actually did retire in a tear filled presser then.)

His actions since that day in 2008 have mostly been filled with backstabbing and have lacked any sort of class.

The reporter quoted in this thread hit the nail on the head. Bart Starr praised Brett Favre from day 1. Nothing but support for Favre even through some tough times. Favre is so far removed from that level of class its remarkable.

re: Hank and Kitrick

:lol: :lol: you two are funny with your comments. There is no way anyone can believe what you wrote... hence the funny.

Some people in the press love a controversy so much that they are willing to make one up if they need to. Some people hate Farve so much that they willing to make up another reason to hate him. I'm a huge Rodgers fan, and I don't see anything offense about Farve's comment. If Farve did make a mistake, it's in not realizing that his every word is scrutinized; and when questioned about Rodgers, not heaping unadulterated praise on him.

Such a juggernaut of a team doesn't make the playoffs last year without a ridiculous 4th quarter by the Giants. How many points were they up again?

Yeah three years after Favre left, in a league that changes dramatically each year, they barely made the playoffs. They did and Rodgers dominated the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread