What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (1 Viewer)

Pump the brakes? Why? You pump the brakes if you want. The rest of Gurley owners are taking the seatbelts off and slamming the pedal to the floor of the real SLAM SEDAN!!!!! Gurleyy!!!

He's getting 20 carries a game minimum. The odds that he doesn't pop at least one big gainer per game are slim. Guy is averaging 6.1 yards per carry with a below average offensive line. If there's one player in the league people shouldn't touch the brakes on it's Gurley.

Ask a statistic expert if it is better to count on an average or a median and see what they tell you. Am I the only one who checked his stats right before that run and was a bit worried? I thought he'd be thrashing that defense for 7 yards a clip. I admit I am guilty of just watching the stats though. I didn't see the runs. Did the other 19 carries for 62 yards look good?

Ask a statistic expert if it is better to count on an average or a median and see what they tell you. Am I the only one who checked his stats right before that run and was a bit worried? I thought he'd be thrashing that defense for 7 yards a clip. I admit I am guilty of just watching the stats though. I didn't see the runs. Did the other 19 carries for 62 yards look good?
Great players find ways to make great plays. He wears down defenses. This isn't just pure randomness.Edit to add: I am a statistics expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take away that 71 yard run and it wasn't a very good day.
Take away his legs, and he'd have to run on his hands.
Take away his hands he'd have to carry the ball in his feet.
What's being ignored here is that shortly after that big run Gurley was resting. He has already shown a trend of ramping up as the game progresses and if not for that score he could have continued to get even more carries. The fact is, the play happened, and if it didn't at that moment for 71 yards, it would have happened over the course of 5 more carries.

You haven't been following football very long. Don't worry. It'll click eventually.

I thought he'd be thrashing that defense for 7 yards a clip.
He did. Well, 6.65 yards a clip, to be exact.

Ya know, if the 49er D hadn't played some of his carries so well, he could have averaged over 40 yards per carry.

Statistics, Jack.
Yeah, but spider......if he doesn't get exactly 6.65 yards on every carry.....then how sustainable is his performance? I mean, would you trust the average, or the median?

What is his average or median?

Why not add instead of subtract a 71 yard run? Than he would have had 204 yards. :)

Excerpts from below article, noting Gurley may already be the best RB in the NFL.

1) Gurley just beat Billy Sims first four start record.
2) Getting faster and healthier? Increasingly explosive play progression (48, 52, 55 and 71).
3) Peterson has three 40+ yard runs, Chris Johnson two, nobody else more than one. Gurley with four (and didn't play first few games).

[sports.yahoo.com]

"Gurley hasn’t been just good, he’s been the best rookie running back ever, at least through his first four starts. He has 566 yards in his first four starts, the most of any rookie back in the Super Bowl era. Billy Sims, with 539, held that record.

Gurley has had a huge run in each of his starts. He had a 48-yarder against Cleveland, a 52-yarder against Arizona, a 55-yarder against Green Bay and on Sunday he had a 71-yarder against San Francisco. This is the NFL. It’s almost impossible to regularly break big runs. Consider that coming into Sunday’s games, not counting Gurley, two running backs had multiple 40-yard runs this year. Adrian Peterson had three. Chris Johnson had two. Nobody else had more than one. And remember, Gurley missed the beginning of this season because he’s coming off an ACL injury."

What if you divide his awesomeness by the radius of the solar system, in millimeters, and add the Pythagorean theorem divided by Pavlov's dog, or something?

Now, imagine that little girl is white.

Is he good then, or no?

(VERY) Early Dickerson/Gurley rookie season yardage per game comparison:

Dickerson 1,808/16 = 113 rushing yards per game
Gurley 566/4 = 141.5 rushing yards per game (probably unsustainable, but just for fun)

141.5 X nine remaining games = 1,273.5 + 566 = 1,839.5

Even not having played for a few games to start the season, his current numbers prorate to edging Dickerson.

* Dickerson gets the early nod as a more prolific scorer.

At this point, guys looking to poke holes in Gurley's game come off as looking pathetic. He is what you hoped he wouldnt be. Sorry guys. He just is.

What if you divide his awesomeness by the radius of the solar system, in millimeters, and add the Pythagorean theorem divided by Pavlov's dog, or something?

Is he good then, or no?
That's awesome. The line from "a time to kill" had me laughing my ### off. Well played.

Oh yeah, Gurley's the real deal. Anyone who doubts that clearly isn't watch the dude play.

(VERY) Early Dickerson/Gurley rookie season yardage per game comparison:

Dickerson 1,808/16 = 113 rushing yards per game

Gurley 566/4 = 141.5 rushing yards per game (probably unsustainable, but just for fun)

141.5 X nine remaining games = 1,273.5 + 566 = 1,839.5

Even not having played for a few games to start the season, his current numbers prorate to edging Dickerson.

* Dickerson gets the early nod as a more prolific scorer.

Doesn't he have 3 tds?

I'm a little bitter, I have him in two leagues and haven't had the pleasure of rejecting a single crappy trade offer for him.

has he seen any 8 man boxes yet? who in their right mind is going to be afraid of any vertical WR threat the rams have?

It would be nice if we had a thread for this guy that excluded people with multiple fatheads of him in their basement bedroom of their parent's house is all I'm saying.

I'm a little bitter, I have him in two leagues and haven't had the pleasure of rejecting a single crappy trade offer for him.
No one really bothered to offer trades for Adrian Peterson when I had him as a rookie.

I think one guy asked and my answer was he doesn't have enough resources to move me. Most everyone else already figured that.

It would be nice if we had a thread for this guy that excluded people with multiple fatheads of him in their basement bedroom of their parent's house is all I'm saying.
That's an AWESOME idea!!!

Now I know what I'm asking Santa for when I see him at the mall!

I hope mommy won't mind.

Take away that 71 yard run and it wasn't a very good day. Yeah, I'm not a fan of those kind of arguments either, but you guys can't tell me you were watching the box score before that run and were super excited about his game. I know I wasn't. 19 carries for 62 yards against a terrible defense isn't exactly what I was expecting.

TL:DR I'm hoping this kid isn't big play dependent.
Gurley is crushing all of his peers on a yards per snap and touch per snap basis. No need to overthink this one. He might be the best pure runner of the football in the game already.

Is he good then, or no?
GREATNESS!

LMAO

Take away that 71 yard run and it wasn't a very good day. Yeah, I'm not a fan of those kind of arguments either, but you guys can't tell me you were watching the box score before that run and were super excited about his game. I know I wasn't. 19 carries for 62 yards against a terrible defense isn't exactly what I was expecting.

Gurley is crushing all of his peers on a yards per snap and touch per snap basis. No need to overthink this one. He might be the best pure runner of the football in the game already.
I hope you're right. I'm holding and hoping. I just don't get all the masterbatory posts about him in here. The sample size is still very very very small.

I like to check this thread now and then and see whether the naysayers keep on naysaying, or whether they quietly show themselves the door.

Maybe it'll be a cyclical thing and they'll show up again in a few seasons cackling after a week when Gurley's playing injured and only goes for 12-50-1.

12 team PPR redraft, some clown sent me an offer for Evans straight up. I told him not bother with upping the next one to Megatron. Julio I would consider if he sweetened it.

Can't imagine anyone moving him in keeper or dynasty. #1 by a good ways in my mind.

Sebowski isn't totally off base here. I have often read this thread & wondered to myself"is Bob MaGaw is married?" Because if he is, and Mrs. MaGaw one day stumbles upon his romantic missives about Todd Gurley, it's over man. She'll be filing the next day.

But for lowly redraft folks, nothing to do but keep smiling & chuckling.

12 team PPR redraft, some clown sent me an offer for Evans straight up. I told him not bother with upping the next one to Megatron. Julio I would consider if he sweetened it.

Can't imagine anyone moving him in keeper or dynasty. #1 by a good ways in my mind.
I could see moving him in dynasty but not in redraft.

Told one owner who tried to trade me I needed both Julio and Brown to make a deal.

In dynasty I would be worried about having too much invested in a RB no matter how good because of the injuries and percentage of regression each year.

Told one owner who tried to trade me I needed both Julio and Brown to make a deal.

In dynasty I would be worried about having too much invested in a RB no matter how good because of the injuries and percentage of regression each year.
Like I said, I just smile & chuckle every time they pop on the RZ Channel. And when I watch the condensed game during the week I get goose bumps. Nobody I would rather have right now.

That said, if I got an insane offer that made my team better I'd consider it. But I'm not expecting anyone to even try, the price is too high.

I hope you're right. I'm holding and hoping. I just don't get all the masterbatory posts about him in here. The sample size is still very very very small.
On the flip side, I'm not sure how you could own him and not be excited by what you're seeing. You could watch football for 40 years and never see something like this so if this doesn't impress you I'm not sure what will. Maybe you're the type that needs to 2 years of work for the production to be a reality.

Look around at the RB landscape, look at their touch counts and usage and contrast with Gurley...look at the speed, the cuts, explosion...he's the complete package paired with the perfect coach...if you can't get excited about having him on your squad maybe you should do a different hobby.

On the flip side, I'm not sure how you could own him and not be excited by what you're seeing. You could watch football for 40 years and never see something like this so if this doesn't impress you I'm not sure what will. Maybe you're the type that needs to 2 years of work for the production to be a reality.

Look around at the RB landscape, look at their touch counts and usage and contrast with Gurley...look at the speed, the cuts, explosion...he's the complete package paired with the perfect coach...if you can't get excited about having him on your squad maybe you should do a different hobby.
Well said. They can stack the box and still not stop him all game. I too was watching the box score with expectation that at least one mistake would turn into a TD run. It seems it is just a matter of time with him. Shoot, he's so good that Tavon Austin is looking like a good pick and the Nick Foles trade is a wash now.

If people want to pull out all the long TD runs, we'll have to do that for EVERYONE, won't we?

The gas pedal is on the floor with this kid.

I've gotten 1 offer in my dynasty league, and it was actually a strong offer (OBJ + Forsett), but It's 10 team non-PPR where you start 2RB/3WR with no flex. Most everyone has good to great WRs. Almost nobody else has a RB the caliber of Gurley. Before Gurley my RBs were Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson and a bunch of spare parts. Can't imagine the offer that would be needed to pry him away from me.

I've gotten 1 offer in my dynasty league, and it was actually a strong offer (OBJ + Forsett), but It's 10 team non-PPR where you start 2RB/3WR with no flex. Most everyone has good to great WRs. Almost nobody else has a RB the caliber of Gurley. Before Gurley my RBs were Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson and a bunch of spare parts. Can't imagine the offer that would be needed to pry him away from me.
In mandatory start 2 RB leagues he's untouchable unless they're also mandatory start 2 TE leagues in which case Gronk is in the conversation.

I admit I am guilty of just watching the stats though. I didn't see the runs.
Relax everyone. I've identified the problem. Yes, he looks impressive every time he touches the ball. He already looks like the best RB in the game. Anytime he gets his hands on the ball it feels like he could break a big run. He's just that good.

Simply watch the games and it's so obvious it will smack you across the face.

My biggest reason for looking to deal him is at least in my league (PPR .5RB/1WR/1.5TE) it seems the RB is devalued from the old days.

Start 1RB/3WR1TE (and RB/TE flex)

In this particular league I am in full rebuild mode and find it easier to trade/draft for the RB position than the WR/TE position.

It is VERY hard to pry a WR1/TE1 from another owner.

So I have a piece that can command one....and as mentioned I was shot down all 4 times.

I drafted ADP in this league in our inaugural season.

Gurley looks to be every bit as good as ADP bit my main reason for looking to move him is I am a lot more confident that when I am ready to compete next year or 2017? It will be a LOT easier to find a RB to start than it is to find a WR/TE

I will update if I ever move him

FYI
I dealt Freeman 2 weeks ago in this league.

Picked him up before the trade deadline last year for Forsett

I sent Freeman and what will probably be 2.01/2.02 for Watkins and what will probably be 3.01/3.02

I was able to get Graham a few weeks ago for Alghor and what look to be 1.01-1.05

In the one dynasty league I'm in, if I get that offered to me, I'm taking it.

Next Gen Stats: Gronk a freakishly stellar specimen

Excerpt:

1. Todd Gurley posted his fourth consecutive top-five speed (21.70) among running backs as a ball carrier on his 71-yard touchdown run. It was not only his fastest run this season, but also the highest speed on any Week 8 touchdown. Gurley squeezed through a hole of 2.80 yards and pulled away from safety Eric Reid, who never got closer than 2.02 yards of separation. As NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks points out in the video to the right, Gurley ran hurdles for Team USA in Europe in 2011 and clocked the seventh-fastest time in hurdles at the University of Georgia.

It's safe to say the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis is among the NFL's fastest tracks. The matchup between the Rams and 49ers featured five of the top eight speeds from Week 8.

Gurley looks to be every bit as good as ADP bit my main reason for looking to move him is I am a lot more confident that when I am ready to compete next year or 2017? It will be a LOT easier to find a RB to start than it is to find a WR/TE

FYI

I sent Freeman and what will probably be 2.01/2.02 for Watkins and what will probably be 3.01/3.02

I was able to get Graham a few weeks ago for Alghor and what look to be 1.01-1.05
Wait.

You want to trade Todd Gurley for a WR?

You traded Devonta Freeman and a 2nd round pick for Sammy Watkins and a 3rd round pick?

You traded a top 5 pick and Nelson Agholor for a 29 year-old Jimmy Graham who is barely used in Seattle?

lol.

No offense, but you're REALLY, REALLY bad at this whole dynasty league thing.

Really.

FYI

Wait.

You traded Devonta Freeman and a 2nd round pick for Sammy Wantins and a 3rd round pick?

You traded a top 5 pick and Nelson Agholor for a 29 year-old Jimmy Graham who is barely used in Seattle?

lol.

Really.
Damn :goodposting: in full rebuild and you want to TRADE AWAY Gurley? He's going to be your set it and forget starter for at least the next 5 years.
You had Freeman AND Gurley and can't compete?

Not to defend trading away Gurley but if you can pull a huge ransom and I'm sure you could in dyno, it is worth considering.

Those are very bad trades in dynasty rebuild more and he may not be able to pull of a ransom, but the point of moving Gurley for a ransom is worth considering and only a ransom.

Gurley for a Bell, Alshon Jeffery type and a two first one being a top 3 pick will work.

FYI

Wait.

You traded Devonta Freeman and a 2nd round pick for Sammy Wantins and a 3rd round pick?

lol.

Really.
Damn :goodposting: in full rebuild and you want to TRADE AWAY Gurley? He's going to be your set it and forget starter for at least the next 5 years.
You had Freeman AND Gurley and can't compete?
My team was very bare especially on the IDP side and had little production from WR and TE.

I blew the team up last year.

As I said before WR and TE and very hard to trade for. You have to overpay in a trade or hope a draft pick works out.

If I can nab a tier 1 WR or te for Gurley I will do it.

When I had ADP early on. No one wanted to trade Calvin or Grok types for a stud RB.

It's more of knowing the landscape of my league and confident I can trade for a good RB later on when ready to compete as opposed to A wr/te...or the other possibility that I duck at this dynasty thing. I haven't been into it as much as I used to be

Users who are viewing this thread