What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Victor Cruz, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

This is the only guy I see available in my 10team redraft league who looks to have WR1 potential. Anyone else buying soon?
He was ready to go twice now and then had two major setbacks. He's getting an MRI tomorrow. I wouldn't be too excited about him and think you could get WR numbers out of better/healthier waiver prospect like Diggs or Lafell, although those guys may be gone in your league..
They're available. I just like Cruz in the Giants offense more than Diggs in a run-heavy offense and LaFell as essentially a 4th option behind Edelman, Gronk, Lewis and Amendola.

I'd like to pick this guy up, he's available in my 16 team league.

Only guy I can drop is Crowder/Hankerson one who is my 3rd WR in a start 3.

Needed a K and D this week for Denver and I can't drop them as they should be solid the rest of the way.

Too worried he'll get another setback, if I drop one of these they will get scooped up and there is nothing else out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/22/victor-cruz-still-not-cleared-after-mri/

The saga of Victor Cruz’s calf injury will continue.

There was a hopeful report earlier this week that had the Giants feeling “guarded optimism” about getting the wide receiver back on the field because he was feeling no pain in the calf that has sidelined him since early in training camp, but a Wednesday MRI didn’t bring the news they were hoping to hear.

Coach Tom Coughlin said Thursday, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, that the MRI showed that Cruz’s calf still has not healed. As a result, Cruz has not been cleared to return to practice and he will continue to work on the side with medical trainers until it’s deemed time for another examination.

That means Cruz will miss his seventh game of the year against the Cowboys this Sunday and, given the setback that happened when he tried to ramp up for a practice a few weeks ago, it seems unlikely that he’d be back for the Week Eight game against the Saints either. The Giants then face the Buccaneers and Patriots before a Week 11 bye.

While the Giants obviously would have been better off placing Cruz on injured reserve with the designation to return at the start of the season, they didn’t know how things were going to play out when they opted not to in early September. They probably should have given it greater consideration when Cruz had his setback, however, because they could use an active player on the 53-man roster while Cruz concentrates on healing from an injury that’s threatening to make this a second straight lost season.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz - WR - Giants

Coach Tom Coughlin confirmed the Giants don't expect Victor Cruz (calf) to play Week 8 against the Saints.

Last week it looked like Cruz was nearing a return but an MRI revealed more damage to his injured calf. There's still no timetable for his return. Odell Beckham and Larry Donnell have been the Giants' most targeted receivers during his absence.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Oct 28 - 11:14 AM

After suffering a setback last month in his first practice attempting to come back from a strained left calf, Cruz seemed optimistic Thursday that he can return in the Giants’ first game after their bye week, Nov. 29 at Washington.

“I hope so,” said Cruz, who began running again Thursday. “It’s just a matter of continuing to pick it up day in and day out. But if I had to pick a time, it would be any week in terms of that regard. But if I had to pick a time, and after the bye obviously looks like a promising date, but obviously the doctors haven’t told me that, no one said that to me. We’re just, like I said, taking it one day at a time.”

Cruz said his MRIs are clean, his calf is fully healed and he “absolutely” thinks he’ll be back this season. He feels the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection he received last month helped speed up his recovery process. He offered a terse response when asked if shutting it down for the season was ever discussed. “No,” he said. “In short, no.”

According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, Cruz took a pay cut from his $7.9 million base salary to a base of $1.3 million, per a source informed of the move. He gets $2.5 million total guaranteed for '16, but can earn back an additional $3 million in per-game roster bonuses. In addition, he can earn the rest of the $7.9 million in other incentives.
Giants aren't expecting much.

He's two years removed from a major injury .  He looked great last summer, running and cutting at full speed before he hurt his calf, which has been surgically repaired.   Yeah the injuries suck, but this is pretty much the formula for recovering from a major injury - first year is difficult with some chance at reinjury or compensation injuries,  and the second year is back to normal.   

Buy low. 

I still contend that he never plays again,  and certainly not at a high-level. It's a shame because he seems like a really likable guy and I miss his dance !

Victor Cruz (calf, knee) is working on a side field at Giants OTAs.
Cruz continues his long journey back from serious calf and knee problems and still isn't ready for team drills with the Giants opening OTAs on Monday. It's possible he'll work with the offense at some point this week, but it's another reminder just how fragile he's become. Cruz is viewed as more of a "luxury."

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter 
May 23 - 11:26 AM

This is why I bought Geremy Davis. 
Wow... This got me thinking how quickly the Cruz, Nicks and Randle trio faded away.

Davis has a big body and could be an interesting red zone option but what is his ceiling with OBJ, Shepard, Vereen. TE, etc?  My leagues just don't go that deep roster wise.

Wow... This got me thinking how quickly the Cruz, Nicks and Randle trio faded away.

Davis has a big body and could be an interesting red zone option but what is his ceiling with OBJ, Shepard, Vereen. TE, etc?  My leagues just don't go that deep roster wise.

Two WR sets, it should be Odell and Sterling. 3 WR sets, however, it should Odell, Sterling and Davis/Cruz. Cruz is the question mark here. If he can't go then Sterling slides to the slot in those 3-WR sets, I think. Davis is big, fast and noted for his blocking. He's run with the first team in OTAs, too, and beat reporters talk him up a lot for the second year in a row.

Victor Cruz (calf, knee) is "ready to go" for the start of training camp.
Cruz was limited to individual drills at minicamp. The Giants will monitor his reps early, but he’s close to fully recovered. Cruz should get most of his preseason snaps in the slot, with rookie Sterling Shepard starting opposite Odell Beckham.

Source: New York Daily News 
Jul 24 - 10:02 AM

The New York Daily News' Ralph Vacchiano reports the Giants are optimistic Victor Cruz "can return to his old form."
Vacchiano warned to buy into that optimism "at your own risk" before adding anything the Giants get from Cruz this season "would be a bonus." Cruz has not played a snap since October of 2014 and barely got in any work during the offseason program. Even if he is able to stay healthy, he will be at best the No. 3 option in the passing game behind Odell Beckham and rookie Sterling Shepard. Cruz is a low-upside fantasy gamble.

Jul 23 - 1:53 PM

New York Daily News's Ralph Vacchiano would put a "healthy bet" on Victor Cruz catching fewer than 50 passes this season.
It's a reminder that even with Cruz (knee, calf) back to 100 percent, we can't assume he's going to be the player he was two years ago before all the injuries. Cruz has played all of 1.5 games with Odell Beckham since OBJ came into the league, and over all the missed time Beckham has since developed into the league's top receiver. Sterling Shepard was drafted to be the No. 2, and new coach Ben McAdoo is expected to feature the backs and tight ends more in the pass game. Cruz isn't even worth drafting in regular-sized fantasy leagues.

Jul 26 - 10:36 PM

ESPN New York reports Victor Cruz's "true explosion and speed" have yet to return.
It's not surprising for a player going on 30 who's missed nearly two straight years of live action. Cruz is being worked in slowly to camp. In a best-case scenario, Cruz will open the year as the Giants' slot receiver between Odell Beckham and Sterling Shepard.

Source: ESPN New York 
Aug 4 - 8:05 PM

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan believes Victor Cruz would be cut if roster spots were awarded "based on merit."
Raanan says there's a "90 percent" chance this would be the case, as Geremy Davis, Tavarres King, Roger Lewis, and Darius Powe have all made more plays than Cruz in camp. Lewis and Powe are undrafted free agent rookies. Cruz is not expected to play in the preseason opener due to a "tight groin." The Giants will open the season with one of the NFL's thinnest receiver corps.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Victor Cruz caught 4-of-4 targets for 34 yards and a touchdown in New York's Week 1 win over the Giants.
Cruz ran a patient route on his nine-yard, fourth quarter touchdown, waiting for the defensive backs to commit before streaking into the end zone unmolested. Surprisingly, Cruz did not salsa. Cruz himself has admitted he isn't trying to reinvent the wheel in his return from a nearly two-year absence, but he did not look like a broken-down player today. He could be an asset between Odell Beckham and Sterling Shepard. For now, we're not expecting it to translate to standard league value.

I drafted Cruz last year hoping for this kind of output, but he quickly got re-injured and ended his 2015 season so dropped him. This year I didn't even need to draft him but kept my eye on him and picked him up before game 1 as a flier after I looked at his pre-season tape. I also saw tape from his first two season games as well ... and especially in the last one he had some spring in his step and it looks like the injuries are behind him. It's funny cos I remember a reporter after the pre-season saying he was just a JAG now and that wasn't my impression at all. A lot of the buzz still hasn't surfaced on this guy and I am sure he is available in a lot of leagues. I would go out and grab him for peanuts asap because if he keeps it up he will be gone next week or so. Not sure if this is an Arian Foster type situation where he won't last but a month or so but enjoy the ride while it lasts. He is trending in the right direction. He is still at an age where a WR can be very productive.

It appears there is room for 3 WRs on both NY teams this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really never thought I'd be saying this again, but I'm very happy to have snagged Cruz off waivers this morning. Looking like he can at least be a PPR flex/bye week replacement, if not much more.

Have to admit, I thought the guy was dunzo for sure.

He's two years removed from a major injury .  He looked great last summer, running and cutting at full speed before he hurt his calf, which has been surgically repaired.   Yeah the injuries suck, but this is pretty much the formula for recovering from a major injury - first year is difficult with some chance at reinjury or compensation injuries,  and the second year is back to normal.   

Buy low. 

Victor Cruz caught 3-of-3 targets for 70 yards in the Giants' Week 3 loss to the Redskins.
Cruz is firmly re-established as part of the Giants' offensive attack, but looks like the No. 3 receiver behind Odell Beckham and Sterling Shepard. Perhaps he will end up compiling enough for PPR value, but his road to standard-league relevance remains dicey.

This one is really tricky. I know the consensus opinion on Cruz was that he was done as soon as he hurt his patella,  that he'd never be the same,  and then he came back in 2015 and got hurt right away and he was obviously headed for the glue factory. 

But. 

Week 1 4 targets 4 catches 34 yards 1 touchdown. Is that done? 

Week 2 8 targets 4 catches 91 yards 

Week 3 3 targets 3 catches 70 yards

At this point he has 11 catches for 195 yards after 3 weeks.  Julio Jones had 10 catches for 180 yards after 3 weeks. 

Overall he caught 39 balls on 72 targets for about 54% catch rate but for 586 yards which is about 15 yards per reception and 8.3 yards per target. By comparison,  obj had 8.1 yards per target and 13.5 yards per catch. Mike Evans caught 56% of his targets for 7.7 yards per target and 13.6 yards per catch.  

Obviously he didn't get number one coverage.  He also may have benefited from a small sample size or from a couple long catches - he had a six game stretch where he had one catch each for 46, 48, 37, 4 and 29 yards and also one game with no catches or targets at all.  

But he also had a game with 13 targets,  8 catches for 84 yards. 

I know the storyline is that he's all done and the giants let him walk,  but maybe this talk of them holding him down a little is really the story of him being pissed that obj came in and stole his life, and he #####ed and moaned behind the scenes before going public now.  He didn't put up huge volume but he was more productive than you probably would have guessed.  Maybe there was a little more politics to his release.  

I actually have him in a dead roster spot in a dynasty and still plan to drop him,  because I don't expect him to get picked up even if he has a nice game week 1.  But I'll keep him in my watch list because when you look a little closer he really was better than I expected and he's only 30. Maybe Glennon locks in on him now that they're both starting fresh with a new team. Stranger things have happened. 

Users who are viewing this thread