What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Victor Cruz, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

The reality is we have no idea how far Cruz comes back from the injury and may lack that clarity well into the season.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz - WR - Giants

Cowboys RB Ryan Williams issued a warning about coming back from a patellar tendon tear.

Williams tore his patellar with the Cardinals in 2011 and was never the same. "Growing up I thought that the worst injury you could have is the ACL," he said. "Nah, when you tear that patellar tendon and your kneecap shifts to your thigh, that's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy." It's a nugget to file away as we inevitably read glowing reports from the Giants all summer on Victor Cruz's rehab.

Related: Ryan Williams

Source: ESPN Dallas
May 18 - 9:44 AM

Every WR from Cruz's rookie year with the Giants had their career end (or all but end) due to a knee injury.

There's Mario catching 9 passes since he tore his ACL and Nicks a shadow of his former self.

Ramses, Clayton, and Smith never really came back from theirs.

That has to affect you as a player, doesn't it? Perspective, motivation, etc

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin said the Giants expect Victor Cruz (patellar tear) to open training camp on active/PUP.

There would be no downside to the move. Cruz can be taken off active/PUP at any time during the preseason. Starting him there leaves the Giants with the option of opening the regular season on PUP -- a move that rule him out of the first six weeks. Cruz claims he'll be "somewhere around 100 percent" by late July or early August.

Source: Paul Schwartz on Twitter
Jun 18 - 12:31 PM

Faust said:

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin said the Giants expect Victor Cruz (patellar tear) to open training camp on active/PUP.

There would be no downside to the move. Cruz can be taken off active/PUP at any time during the preseason. Starting him there leaves the Giants with the option of opening the regular season on PUP -- a move that rule him out of the first six weeks. Cruz claims he'll be "somewhere around 100 percent" by late July or early August.

Source: Paul Schwartz on Twitter

Jun 18 - 12:31 PM
News Articles > Cruz expected to avoid PUP list to start...Published Thu Jun 18 12:31:00 p.m. ET 2015

(Rotoworld)Coach Tom Coughlin said the Giants expect Victor Cruz (patellar tear) to avoid active/PUP to start training camp.

Analysis: In other words, the Giants think Cruz will be ready to participate from Day 1 of camp. It also means they couldn't stash him on reserve/PUP to start the year -- a move that would rule him out of the first six weeks. Cruz claims he'll be "somewhere around 100 percent" by late July or early August. The fact that the Giants have joined him in his optimism bodes well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYPost_Schwartz/status/611568490177265664

Way to have your stuff together rotoworld.

The hole Giants WR situation makes me nervous. Seems like too many mouths to feed. I was "OK" with Cruz coming back, but then they go out and sign James Jones. Beckham, Randle, Cruz, Jones... and I don't fully trust Eli Manning. You just never know when he is going to flip the INT switch on. Thanks for the updates on Cruz. I like watching from a far, but I just don't think I am going to invest in any Giants WRs in my draft.

The hole Giants WR situation makes me nervous. Seems like too many mouths to feed. I was "OK" with Cruz coming back, but then they go out and sign James Jones. Beckham, Randle, Cruz, Jones... and I don't fully trust Eli Manning. You just never know when he is going to flip the INT switch on. Thanks for the updates on Cruz. I like watching from a far, but I just don't think I am going to invest in any Giants WRs in my draft.
I don't think I'd worry too much about James Jones IF Cruz and Beckham are healthy. If Cruz returns to form and Beckham's hammy is okay, they are the unquestioned top two WRs and Jones and Randle will have to fight it out for that 3rd spot when they go with 3-WR sets. The Jones signing feels like a safeguard in case Cruz isn't the same, quite honestly.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Giants reporter Dan Graziano confirmed Victor Cruz (calf, knee) is "very much in doubt" to play in Week 1.

Cruz admitted Tuesday that his availability is in question, and at this point we'd bet against him suiting up Week 1 at Dallas. Rueben Randle would handle No. 2 duties behind Odell Beckham, with Preston Parker in the slot. Cruz has no timetable for return. He's an unlikely fantasy contributor in 2015.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter

Sep 2 - 3:07 PM

Unlikely fantasy contributor? Because he's in doubt to play week 1?

I saw this guy on Ballers and he looked healthy doing the salsa.

As a late round pick, there's not another WR in the league id rather gamble on if he can get in the game with ODB pulling the tight double coverage.

As a late round pick, there's not another WR in the league id rather gamble on if he can get in the game with ODB pulling the tight double coverage.
I would be flat out shocked if he wasn't a significant contributor in 2015. I think Roto went too far there too

I would be flat out shocked if he wasn't a significant contributor in 2015. I think Roto went too far there too
I would be shocked if he is and don't think he'll ever be the same player.

Coughlin said two sentences about Cruz during the presser-

Has Victor Cruz's status (unable to practice) changed yet? Says Coughlin: "Nothing has come across my desk to indicate that."

Coughlin on Victor Cruz: "The calf is what set him back. Not the knee. For whatever reason these things are very very hard to get over."

I don't see the A+B=C here

You can watch it here https://twitter.com/Giants/status/641630305300774912

I see this as a potential headache all season with questionable statuses and nagging injuries from the knee popping up. I'm regretting tying up a roster spot on him.

ponchsox said:
I see this as a potential headache all season with questionable statuses and nagging injuries from the knee popping up. I'm regretting tying up a roster spot on him.
Oh cmon you knew that would happen didn't you?

I don't think limited padded practices affects whether he plays. He can certainly work that calf out hard and see how it reacts without contact being necessary.

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin said Friday the Giants are hoping Victor Cruz (calf) will practice ahead of Week 4.
The Giants play the Bills next week, and could use Cruz's presence in the slot after having to cut drop machine Preston Parker. "He's improving," Coughlin said of Cruz. "He'll be running all weekend. We'll see next week if we can get him on the practice field." While we don't have high fantasy hopes for Cruz, he's worth adding in PPR leagues as a potential bye-week sub.

Source: Ebenezer Samuel on Twitter
Sep 25 - 2:35 PM

Kind of interesting to consider a healthy Cruz, healthy Randle, Beckham, Donnell and Vereen all in the same passing attack. I wonder if they have the right game plan for this crew.

Will Cruz ever come back to like his break out year? What are this guys projections if he happens to stay healthy the rest of the year

My expectations are low. Cruz is sitting on a deep'ish bench in one redraft league. I figure he won't hold up physically anyway (because I'm being all negative this week about injuries), but still, he's walking into a situation where he is desperately needed.

Should this guy be added in all leagues? I mean, he'll likely take a week or two to really get back into gamespeed but after that, is a FLEX with WR2 potential?

This is kind of a shaded Beckham & Randle question but what is Cruz's chance of returning this year? The Giants are looking at Wes Welker, sort of sounds like other plans are ppssibly being made?

Victor Cruz had a PPR injection in his injured calf.

According to sports doctor David J. Chao, it usually takes about 2-to-6 weeks for the injection to kick in. Obviously that clouds his status for Week 5 and beyond. The Giants brought in Wes Welker for a tryout this week and have hinted at using Shane Vereen as a wide receiver. Both of those measures suggest the G-Men aren't counting on getting Cruz back anytime soon.
Bump Cruz in PPR formats? Droppable in standard?

This is the only guy I see available in my 10team redraft league who looks to have WR1 potential. Anyone else buying soon?

This is the only guy I see available in my 10team redraft league who looks to have WR1 potential. Anyone else buying soon?
He was ready to go twice now and then had two major setbacks. He's getting an MRI tomorrow. I wouldn't be too excited about him and think you could get WR numbers out of better/healthier waiver prospect like Diggs or Lafell, although those guys may be gone in your league..

Users who are viewing this thread