What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

Guy has 8 fumbles in 243 career carries.  Should be 9 in 244, but they credited Cousins with an exchange hand off last week. He is coughing it up once every 27 carries.  Average pass blocker and a 3.9 career YPC.  He needs to fix this fast or he is going to be on the street soon. 

Guy has 8 fumbles in 243 career carries.  Should be 9 in 244, but they credited Cousins with an exchange hand off last week. He is coughing it up once every 27 carries.  Average pass blocker and a 3.9 career YPC.  He needs to fix this fast or he is going to be on the street soon. 
Rightly so.  If I recall on that play Cousins tripped going back for the handoff and bounced the ball off of Jones' knee.

His YPC was bad last year when the whole team struggled but has actually been quite good (4.6) this year.

Of course, he does definitely need to get the fumble thing under control or he's done.

Is this guy droppable in all formats? He was already losing carries to Kelley and they're going into their bye with extremely tough run defenses coming up and now a knee injury to top it off?

Seriously considering dropping him to stash Tucker who was dropped bc he's on bye. 

Is this guy droppable in all formats? He was already losing carries to Kelley and they're going into their bye with extremely tough run defenses coming up and now a knee injury to top it off?

Seriously considering dropping him to stash Tucker who was dropped bc he's on bye. 
Depends on a lot of variables but as you listed, there are a lot of valid reasons to move on.

He's injured, fumbling and the schedule is ####.

Bye

MIN
-21.0%

GB
-40.8%

@DAL
-38.0%

@ARI
-32.4%

@PHI
-3.6%

CAR
-36.8%

@CHI
-31.5%

I wouldn't fault someone for dropping him but most will hold because the position is so shallow.

He's injured, fumbling and the schedule is ####.

Bye

MIN
-21.0%

GB
-40.8%

@DAL
-38.0%

@ARI
-32.4%

@PHI
-3.6%

CAR
-36.8%

@CHI
-31.5%

I wouldn't fault someone for dropping him but most will hold because the position is so shallow.
I just think there's more value in a backup that needs an injury than in Jones. Although your team depth/need is important here.

Will he be healthy again tho? And will he be trusted again?

AFAIK, the dude has had two pivotal goal line fumbles in two seasons. 

I really don't think Gruden likes him. 

Will he be healthy again tho? And will he be trusted again?

AFAIK, the dude has had two pivotal goal line fumbles in two seasons. 

I really don't think Gruden likes him. 
Do you he shows he doesn't like him by clearly making him the number 1 guy?  Jones is being fed the rock and doing well this season.

Do you he shows he doesn't like him by clearly making him the number 1 guy?  Jones is being fed the rock and doing well this season.
He took a backseat to Thompson and Kelley after that second goal line fumble. 

Now he's on the bench with an injury and his backups are producing. 

Not sure why Gruden should put in a liability over a steady back who doesn't fumble. 

He took a backseat to Thompson and Kelley after that second goal line fumble. 

Now he's on the bench with an injury and his backups are producing. 

Not sure why Gruden should put in a liability over a steady back who doesn't fumble. 
The steady back who doesn't fumble is the guy that has 30 career carries?

georg013 said:
Matt Jones owners getting testy?
I don't think anyone is getting testy.  I'm a jones and Kelley owner so I could really care less who wins this battle but Jones has been looking good and running hard (he is averaging 4.6 ypc) and the line, imho, is not blocking particularly well.  

Kelley is one of those guys that is going to get you 3 yards and then fall forward. He is a plodding runner with very little moves.  It's possible that's what they want going forward.

If anything it's the blind love of Rob Kelley from some people that is causing the agitation.  It's seems more and more on these boards people just ignore analysis, history, value etc...in favour of 'omg he is going to get a carry at some point and he is the next big thing!!!!'

Redskins coach Jay Gruden considers Rob Kelley the team's early-down back coming off the team's bye week.
Gruden said Kelley will handle the "bulk" of the carries, and that Matt Jones will "have to earn his way back." Jones is returning from a knee issue, but has also been highly inconsistent while continuing to struggle with ball security. Jones probably won't be completely abandoned, but Kelley should have a clear touch advantage against the Vikings' tough run defense. He'll be on the RB2/3 borderline for Week 10.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Redskins are shopping RB Matt Jones.

Jones has fallen completely out of favor in D.C., tumbling to fourth on the depth chart behind a pair of UDFAs (Rob Kelley and Mack Brown) and third-down back Chris Thompson. Coach Jay Gruden recently "didn't have much good to say about" Jones, the former No. 95 overall pick in 2015. He had a huge preseason as a rookie and averaged a very respectable 4.6 YPC last season, but Jones has put the ball on the ground with fumbles far too often and was benched midseason 2016. Plenty of backs have overcame fumble issues in the past. The Redskins would likely take a seventh-rounder for Jones.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 28 - 9:00 AM

Re-ranking the 2015 RB class: The Todd Gurley conundrum

Excerpt:

9) Matt Jones, Washington Redskins

Originally drafted: Round 3, No. 95 overall.

"Where is Matt Jones?" has officially replaced "Who is Mike Jones?" as one of America's greatest mysteries.

After breaking 100 yards twice in a three-game stretch last October, Jones fumbled against the Lions in Week 7 and was banished for the rest of the season in favor of "Fat Rob" Kelley. Jones deserves another chance.

There aren't many 235-pound backs with the wiggle Jones possesses. He finishes runs. In 2016, he averaged 4.6 yards per carry and was on pace for over 1,000 yards when he was benched for the rest of the season. His fumbling is a problem, and it's true that Jones almost seeks out contact too much, but the guy was also plain unlucky. Six of his eight career fumbles were recovered by the opposition. Would he have been benched if Washington had recovered more? Of his three fumbles in 2016, one came off a funky handoff and another was the result of a direct helmet shot on the ball.

Melvin Gordon looked like a bust to some after one season, and Jones now looks like a bust after two. I'm still holding out hope for a Matt Jones-aissance, because the talent is there.

Matt Jones has been told he's no longer a part of the Redskins' plans.
It's why Jones is skipping OTAs. Jones' release has become a fait accompli, but the Redskins must be holding out hope they can trade Jones for a conditional draft choice. Jones will be elsewhere by training camp.

Source: Washington Post 
May 30 - 3:28 PM

Too much time on my hands and not enough happening around the league.

Matt Jones flashed some talent, and if he straightens out his fumbling problem, does anyone think he could revive his career?  Is anyone still holding in Dynasty?

It seems unlikely a revival will come in Washington, but what if he landed with the Raiders?  Giants?  Colts?  Is there a landing spot where you suddenly see Jones as a dynasty stash, or are you washing your hands of him completely?

Matt Jones flashed some talent, and if he straightens out his fumbling problem, does anyone think he could revive his career?  Is anyone still holding in Dynasty?

It seems unlikely a revival will come in Washington, but what if he landed with the Raiders?  Giants?  Colts?  Is there a landing spot where you suddenly see Jones as a dynasty stash, or are you washing your hands of him completely?
Obviously not trading for him, but I've picked him up and stashed him in every dynasty league where he was available. Fumbling was/is his major issue, but I still think he's an NFL level RB. Plus in dynasty I think he's an easy stash because we'll probably have a good idea before the season starts of whether he'll get an opportunity this year or not.  I'm just waiting for his release to see if there's any interest in him. 

I think he would be a nice complement to Gordon. Gordon is blossoming into a much better pass catcher than I would have expected he would. Gordon could morph into the Woodhead job in the Whiz offense(some people forget how big that job was because Woodhead got hurt so early) and Jones could take over the Gordon job between the tackles. If they could get Gordon the ball in space more maybe he could get his Y/C above 4. As a Jones owner I think he might be a nice fit in a Whiz offense with an improving OL. Gordon hasn't finished a season without a significant season ending injury and has had his own bouts of fumbling so Jones might have more work in that combo than most people realize. Whether the chargers are smart enough to realize it or not they should be DESPERATE for a #2 RB, if not a #1B

Speaking Monday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Matt Jones is "doing a good job of competing for a spot at running back."

Jones has been trying to force his release, but things could be complicated by Keith Marshall's season-ending injury. The Redskins have appeared perfectly content to hold onto Jones as their No. 4 back, though they would undoubtedly flip him for a conditional day-three pick.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter 

Jul 31 - 3:14 PM

Former Redskins GM Scot McCloughan believes Matt Jones is "still the best back" in Washington.

"The most criminally underrated player in the NFL," added McCloughan. "Going to be a stud." Jones has been buried on the depth chart since losing his starting job in Week 7 last season. His status with the Redskins is an overlooked storyline on a team with questions at running back. Coach Jay Gruden has given up on Jones, but there’s no doubt he has starter-level talent. A Rosenhaus client, it won’t be surprising if Jones forces his way out of Washington.

Source: CBS Washington

This guy is free in a ton of leagues, and I don't get it.  Grabbed him in all my dynasty leagues and will happily stash him.  He's 24 years old and won't turn 25 until next March I believe.  he can catch passes and pass protect.  He separated a shoulder in training camp last year, which was reported to have a 1-week timeline for pain to subside, but 6 weeks to fully heal.  Instead he's back on the field for week 1 playing.  I'm not saying the shoulder was the problem, but I could certainly see it having some role in his fumbling issues last year.  That said, he's definitely got fumbling problems.

Still, 24 YOs who just averaged 4.6 YPC, can pass pro, and can catch don't grow on trees -- especially 230lb ones.  You certainly get the sense that Gruden has banished this dude after mid-season last year, when who knows if he was actually healthy (there were also reports of a knee tweak) mid-season too.  Then they draft Perine, return with Fat Rob, and tell Jones he's no longer in their plans.

In some ways, this reminds me of Marshawn Lynch's career in that he was pretty solid in Buffalo, but they seemingly gave up on him and then trade him to Seattle.  And Beast Mode was born.  Given the FO mess in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them a few talented players while they try to play the blame game with FO personnel.  McCloughan has long been a trusted evaluator of NFL talent, so I take the quote above this post as pretty promising.  Jones desperately needs a change of scenery, and I'd imagine he gets one in the next few days.  

Wade into the depths.  Buy.

Keeping an eagle eye out to see if any of the Philly rumours are true. I'll be snatching up in all re-draft leagues post haste if anything positive starts to come to the surface 

Redskins waived RB Matt Jones.

This has been coming for months, but Washington held onto the 2015 third-round pick in hopes of finding a trade partner. The offers never developed, and Jones will head to the waiver wire, where it would not be surprising in the least if he is claimed. Washington will move forward with Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine on early downs. Chris Thompson will keep dominating passing-down work.

Related: Redskins

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 12:21 PM

Chief, Eagles, Giants, Ravens. One of these teams should be jumping on this guy immediately. Makes no sense why he wasn't traded for a low pick to one of these teams.

Chief, Eagles, Giants, Ravens. One of these teams should be jumping on this guy immediately. Makes no sense why he wasn't traded for a low pick to one of these teams.
He sucks. That's why.

Sincerely, someone who Draft Dominator told to draft Matt Jones in the 5th round last year (and thereby got a front row seat to witness his sucktitude).

I don't know. I think he's got talent, but fumbilitis seemed to forever put him in Gruden's doghouse.

It wouldn't shock me to see him have some value this year provided he lands in a favorable situation.

Casting Couch said:
:lmao:

He's terrible, move on man. 

Gr00vus said:
He sucks. That's why.

Sincerely, someone who Draft Dominator told to draft Matt Jones in the 5th round last year (and thereby got a front row seat to witness his sucktitude).
I think the body of work is way to small to with certainty say he sucks. He got in the coaches doghouse because of ball security and was never given a chance to get out. I am still on the fence on his talent or lack of, but I do think he will get a shot on another team and probably soon. I picked him off the WW and can hold him cause my RB situation is not great and I am hoping he gets that shot, at least for me it's nothing lost either way. 

Users who are viewing this thread