What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

Gr00vus said:
He sucks. That's why.

Sincerely, someone who Draft Dominator told to draft Matt Jones in the 5th round last year (and thereby got a front row seat to witness his sucktitude).
If you drafted him only because you were told to you probably don't know much about him. I'm grabbing him off waivers. He's better than a lot of the garbage out there.

Rotoworld take:

Colts claimed RB Matt Jones off waivers from the Redskins.

A former third-round pick, Jones quickly washed out in Washington due to ball-security issues. Plenty of backs in the past have corrected those problems, and Jones averaged a respectable 4.6 YPC on 99 carries last season before getting sent to Siberia by coach Jay Gruden. He'll get a fresh start in Indy where the Colts are looking for their successor to Frank Gore. Jones is a hulking 6'2/239 at 24 years old. He has two years left on his rookie deal.

Related: Redskins

Sep 3 - 12:47 PM

Keep in mind Colts weren't even willing to trade a 7th round pick for Jones. Mack may not turn out to be that great but won't be because of this signing.
On the other hand why give up a 7th when they could get him for free. 

Great pickup by the Colts I think. They lose nothing and get a lot of potential, Gore is like 125 in RB years, Mack looked good this preseason I thought, but what else did they have after that? Colts seem to make more dumb moves than good ones, but this seems smart to me. Guess we will all see how it plays out, if Luck does miss a lot of time, Mack or Jones will probably be playing sooner rather than later cause the Colts will be losing. Just mho. 

Sure but you have to play the odds. Even a 7th round pick is worth keeping. Also they moght have know the teams ahead of them we're not interested.  
How could they know that? Bottom line he wasn't worth 7th round pick to them.

It's a pretty dumbed down analysis to say that because they didn't trade a 7th round pick for Jones that he "wasn't worth a 7th round pick to them."  As others have said, maybe they had a good read that he was going to be released outright. And how could the Colts know that the teams ahead of them in the waiver order wouldn't be interested in Jones?  Probably in the same way you have a good idea what your ffball leaguemates needs and wants are.  

That's a tough call to make. That's like saying Haden wasn't worth a 7th round pick to the Steelers or Ward wasn't worth a 7th round pick to the Bucs. 

I'm not saying that you aren't right and this might just be the Colts taking a flyer on the guy though. Just that the action might not reflect the true value or situation. 

It's a pretty dumbed down analysis to say that because they didn't trade a 7th round pick for Jones that he "wasn't worth a 7th round pick to them."  As others have said, maybe they had a good read that he was going to be released outright. And how could the Colts know that the teams ahead of them in the waiver order wouldn't be interested in Jones?  Probably in the same way you have a good idea what your ffball leaguemates needs and wants are.  
Well don't know exactly where Indy was in the waiver claim but regardless another team could've traded for him. If it's a guy they really wanted, wouldn't that be worth a 7th round pick to them?  You may think it's a dumbed down analysis, but it seems like common sense to me.

fyi, here's the waiver order.  so you're telling me Indy was sure that all 14 teams ahead of them would pass on Jones. Ok.

Waiver Wire Order Heading into 2017 NFL Season

OVERALLTEAM

1Cleveland

2San Francisco

3Chicago

4Jacksonville

5Los Angeles Rams

6New York Jets

7Los Angeles Chargers

8Carolina

9Cincinnati

10Buffalo

11New Orleans

12Philadelphia

13Arizona

14Minnesota

15Indianapolis

16Baltimore

17Washington

18Tennessee

19Tampa Bay

20Denver

21Detroit

22Miami

23New York Giants

24Oakland

25Houston

26Seattle

27Kansas City

28Dallas

29Green Bay

30Pittsburgh

31Atlanta

32New England

fyi, here's the waiver order.  so you're telling me Indy was sure that all 14 teams ahead of them would pass on Jones. Ok.

OVERALLTEAM

1Cleveland

2San Francisco

3Chicago

4Jacksonville

5Los Angeles Rams

6New York Jets

7Los Angeles Chargers

8Carolina

9Cincinnati

10Buffalo

11New Orleans

12Philadelphia

13Arizona

14Minnesota

15Indianapolis

16Baltimore

17Washington

18Tennessee

19Tampa Bay

20Denver

21Detroit

22Miami

23New York Giants

24Oakland

25Houston

26Seattle

27Kansas City

28Dallas

29Green Bay

30Pittsburgh

31Atlanta

32New England
Philly and the Jets are the only ones ahead of them that I could see as possibly needing even a depth RB. I feel like you lose less by waiting to see if he clears and get sniped than if you spend a 7th and he busts. 

Indy is a worse landing spot than almost any team I can think of. absolutely the worst o-line in football.and Luck might not even play at all..so a never-has-been RB going to what looks to be a very bad team, playing behind a very bad line with a 2nd or 3rd string QB doesn't really add up to something I'd want any piece of ..

there are so many other quality backup or even 3rd string RBs on other rosters that I'd be far more inclined to select than this guy..

Indy is a worse landing spot than almost any team I can think of. absolutely the worst o-line in football.and Luck might not even play at all..so a never-has-been RB going to what looks to be a very bad team, playing behind a very bad line with a 2nd or 3rd string QB doesn't really add up to something I'd want any piece of ..

there are so many other quality backup or even 3rd string RBs on other rosters that I'd be far more inclined to select than this guy..
Yep I don't like him going to the Colts. I took a flyer on him but he will be next man cut now. 

Well don't know exactly where Indy was in the waiver claim but regardless another team could've traded for him. If it's a guy they really wanted, wouldn't that be worth a 7th round pick to them?  You may think it's a dumbed down analysis, but it seems like common sense to me.
I think it's pretty safe to say, even before he was released, that Jones isn't a sought after commodity in the NFL.  If you're stance is that since nobody traded a 4th-6th round pick for him and thus that equals him not really being wanted, well we likely could've assumed that a month ago about the Redskins 4th string RB. 

I think it's pretty safe to say, even before he was released, that Jones isn't a sought after commodity in the NFL.  If you're stance is that since nobody traded a 4th-6th round pick for him and thus that equals him not really being wanted, well we likely could've assumed that a month ago about the Redskins 4th string RB. 
Where did I say anything about a 4-6th round pick?  Nevermind, let's just move on.

He may be the Colts shiny new toy but Gore is still the only RB in Indy worth owning for those desperate for a RB3.

OVERALLTEAM

1Cleveland

2San Francisco

3Chicago

4Jacksonville

5Los Angeles Rams

6New York Jets

7Los Angeles Chargers

8Carolina

9Cincinnati

10Buffalo

11New Orleans

12Philadelphia

13Arizona

14Minnesota

15Indianapolis

16Baltimore

17Washington

18Tennessee

19Tampa Bay

20Denver

21Detroit

22Miami

23New York Giants

24Oakland

25Houston

26Seattle

27Kansas City

28Dallas

29Green Bay

30Pittsburgh

31Atlanta

32New England
You must suck at poker.

A lot of teams front offices have staff who are dedicated to scouting and communicating with other NFL teams. Their scouting departments keep the data on all of these players from high school and on. It is pretty remarkable how tuned in a lot of teams are about all of the players in the NFL.

Not that hard for me to see them making a judgement call that Matt Jones could be had as a free agent instead of a trade.

I agree with you that if acquiring Jones was a priority for any team due to their evaluation that they would trade a draft pick for the player if it was a priority for them, or they thought their chances of getting the player without a trade would be low. That would fit into a hierarchy of interest or value that teams place on players. If they traded a draft pick for Jones instead of picking him up as a free agent, that would be a higher level of priority shown by the team comparatively. It would also signal that they knew too many other teams were interested in the player to risk the player clearing waivers. Waiver priority would be a consideration in that as well I think.

Another level of priority is the amount of money the team offers a free agent. Just like our blind bidding process in fantasy. There are several different levels of priority that all of the teams need to make judgement calls about like this all the time. Clearly each team has methods of deciding that and gathering intelligence on the other teams is a part of that decision making process. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts waived RB Matt Jones.

Jones was expected to get a shot to contribute with the Colts, who have little clarity behind an aging Frank Gore. With Jones gone, fourth-rounder Marlon Mack's role looks more secure. Still only 24 and drafted by renowned talent evaluator Scot McCloughan, Jones will likely get a chance on another team. The Bears also tried to claim Jones off waivers last weekend.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 9 - 11:23 AM

Well that didn't last long. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that didn't last long.

Users who are viewing this thread