What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: Sammie Coates Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

How did the rest of the team do?
Better than Coates. Five WRs played. Four produced more than a donut.

If you still intend to gloat when Coates does well, you'll need to post whether you are starting him or not (prior to the start of the game) in the future since you're lying about week 6.

Better than Coates. Five WRs played. Four produced more than a donut.

If you still intend to gloat when Coates does well, you'll need to post whether you are starting him or not (prior to the start of the game) in the future since you're lying about week 6.
Lol. Enjoy your small victory. We will revisit this discussion soon enough.

Lol. Enjoy your small victory. We will revisit this discussion soon enough.
How about you guys take this pissing match to PM?  Thanks.  Pretty lame to see this thread bumped be either of you based on the fantasy points scored by Coates.

Reminder. This guy was possibly dropped in some leagues with the hand injury, poor performances, Ben injury and bye week. Sounds like Ben is back this week and it's likely Coates' hand is better after the bye. It's worth a flyer IMO.

Reminder. This guy was possibly dropped in some leagues with the hand injury, poor performances, Ben injury and bye week. Sounds like Ben is back this week and it's likely Coates' hand is better after the bye. It's worth a flyer IMO.
I held on to him 

It's time for Coates to resume his dynasty value climb if Ben comes back.  He really had some momentum going before the hand injury. 

Had to drop him to cover byes, and he was scooped up in next waiver period. I'm a sad banana because I'm a believer in him only getting better with a healed hand and a healed Ben throwing to him. If he's out there, def. worth a flier. 

He's sitting on my wire and I'm kind of desperate to take him. Despite currently having him in my flex spot, I'm probably going to drop Hightower for him. Condition of Ben slightly worries me for this week, but I do think Coates has a lot of value going forward, great for a flex spot where he might be a bit boom and bust but with a huge ceiling 

Had to drop him to cover byes, and he was scooped up in next waiver period. I'm a sad banana because I'm a believer in him only getting better with a healed hand and a healed Ben throwing to him. If he's out there, def. worth a flier. 
did the same but was lucky enough to get him back this week.

He's sitting on my wire and I'm kind of desperate to take him. Despite currently having him in my flex spot, I'm probably going to drop Hightower for him. Condition of Ben slightly worries me for this week, but I do think Coates has a lot of value going forward, great for a flex spot where he might be a bit boom and bust but with a huge ceiling 
think this situation analysis is spot on for this week and beyond.

Be wary of Bens home road splits.  he usually is quite a bit worse on the road.

See that last dolphins game.  yikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to have him healthy and Ben back, but I'm sitting him this week, mostly because I have better options (Hilton, Sanders, Cobb and Tyrell if Cobb sits). My hope is that he emerges as at worst a bye-week fill-in and at best a higher-upside play than Sanders

Have him in 2 league s. Greece Tyrell Williams in both too and Wallace in one. Not sure if i risk him for his upside or Wallace with higher floor.

Think Tyrell is just start too today but he is banged up a bit...

Anybody starting him today ? Choice between him and Hightower for me 
I'm starting Sammie as my Flex, along with ODB, Emmanuel Sanders and (gulp!) Kenny Britt as my WRs.  

Have Tyreek Hill too, and something tells me he's going to have a big game today against the Jags.   

Benching him 2 leagues to wait and see. I don't know that Ben comes roaring out the gate.

In one cheapo league I have him starting. Short bench and I am shot at WR2/3. But I am a fan of Coates, it should be a fresh start, he and Ben had a horrible crash and burn after that fantastic game they had.

Didn't see the game but heard he had a terrible RZ drop. Can anyone who did watch say what the issue was? And how much should we be worried by Eli's performance? Coates seemed to have emerged as the clear WR2 before the injury. 

Didn't see the game but heard he had a terrible RZ drop. Can anyone who did watch say what the issue was? And how much should we be worried by Eli's performance? Coates seemed to have emerged as the clear WR2 before the injury. 
The ball hit him in the hands and he let it go through his fingers. Was it an easy catch?  No.  But any decent receiver with good hands makes that catch. He s a deep threat who can get open at will. His problem is he's not a natural hands catch. He fights the ball and if he can't use his body to aid in the catch he doesn't catch it. 

Eli Rogers has become Ben's new security blanket replacing Heath Miller. The difference is where Heath was a slow plodder toward the end of his career, Rogers has some decent RAC. Rogers wouldn't be nearly as attractive if Jesse James showed more and/or Coates could catch. Wheaton isn't even in the picture anymore. 

It'll be interesting to see how things change (or not) if/when Green gets on the field. If he plays like people expect, I think Rogers targets drop a bit and James gets phased out almost completely.  If Coates continues to play the way he's been playing, he won't have a job if/when Martavis Bryant comes back. 

The ball hit him in the hands and he let it go through his fingers. Was it an easy catch?  No.  But any decent receiver with good hands makes that catch.
FTFY

The play was on RedZone, so I assume just about everyone saw it. I don't know what qualifies as an easy catch, but for that depth of target it doesn't get much easier. It was uncontested and hit him in stride. Even Ted Ginn catches that ball 75% of the time.

Well it's also worth mentioning Ben missed him on some passes as well. The guy gets separation, that will invite more targets. It wasn't a good day for Ben either.

With Wheaton and Heywood out figure he'd have a decent game. Seems about as useless as one legged man in an asskicking contest.

So he is trusted to catch kick offs but not passes at this point. Hmmm. This seems to be very similar to the Jeff Janis situation at this point. Is there any reason to hold onto him in dynasty leagues?

So he is trusted to catch kick offs but not passes at this point. Hmmm. This seems to be very similar to the Jeff Janis situation at this point. Is there any reason to hold onto him in dynasty leagues?
I think he's a hold.  Who knows if M.Bryant can stay clean?  If he doesn't, I think a healthy Coates will do well.  He can beat out DHB and Wheaton for snaps.

In case anyone was thinking he was all healed up, this exchange was from a few days ago:

Clark, The: How are Coates injured fingers? It would be nice to have him stretch the field again...

Ed Bouchette: I believe the first broken one, the index, has healed. The ring finger still had a splint last week.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects third-year WR Sammie Coates to take "another leap" in 2017.

"I think he took a significant leap from Year No. 1 to Year No. 2, one that we expect," Tomlin claimed. "He faced some adversity throughout the journey, with injuries and so forth. I expect him to continue to grow, evolve and come with the level of preparedness that he had last year." Tomlin isn't kidding about the injuries, but it's hard to classify Coates' sophomore season as anything other than a major disappointment. There was no "leap." All Tomlin's comments really indicate is that the Steelers aren't prepared to throw in the towel, and that Coates will receive the benefit of the doubt for 2017. Coates will have vanishingly-little sleeper appeal if suspended WR Martavis Bryant is reinstated.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 30 - 4:46 PM

He was getting better and better as the season began. Then he had a 130 yard 2 TD game and it seemed like he was breaking out.  Instead, he was breaking digits.  He was never the same after that and couldn't catch a ball to save his life.  Hopefully the offseason will allow him to regain his health and his confidence.  It would be nice to pair his deep threat with ABs underneath ability and Bryant in the mid range.  

He was getting better and better as the season began. Then he had a 130 yard 2 TD game and it seemed like he was breaking out.  Instead, he was breaking digits.  He was never the same after that and couldn't catch a ball to save his life.  Hopefully the offseason will allow him to regain his health and his confidence.  It would be nice to pair his deep threat with ABs underneath ability and Bryant in the mid range.  
Agree he looked to be stepping up, and agree that the fingers issue hampered him in a way he couldn't overcome.

That said, there were more than enough times where it looked like he couldn't catch a ball prior and after the injury, which scared me. Had to do with mechanics and instinct more than anything. He will really have to show that true leap in his game to me to gamble on him again, and with Bryant back into the fold, not sure the opportunity will consistently be there for Sammy.

Following the reinstatement of Martavis Bryant, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Sammie Coates is "on notice" and competing for a job with Justin Hunter.

Antonio Brown, Bryant, Eli Rogers, and (likely) Darrius Heyward-Bey are locks to make the team. That leaves Coates, Hunter, Cobi Hamilton, and Demarcus Ayers as the current Nos. 5-8 wideouts in no particular order. Coates had a horrific 2016 season filled with drops, but he did suffer a mangled hand that severely limited him much of the second half of the year. Hunter is a similar player with big talent who hasn't been able to put it together, but Big Ben is best QB he's ever had.

Source: ESPN.com 
Apr 26 - 10:06 AM

In early 2016 prior to his injuries, while still a raw one trick pony, Coates put up a stretch of games where he caught some very deep passes and was effective.  So he has shown that when healthy he can be effective.  He has to get his health back and restore his self confidence (if it was shaken). If he returns to that early 2016 version if himself then I think he makes the team. 

Nothing to see here, folks.

People forget that his best game last year was also his worst game. Stat sheets can be deceptive.

Can't track the ball. Can't catch the ball. I don't care how big or fast someone is, you gotta be able to do both of those and he's awful at both aspects. 

I guess it's time to drop him in dynasty.

I don't think Hunter is better than Coates, but he did struggle a lot. I think he could still be a very good player, probably in a Torrey Smith mold, run fast and drop half of your targets.

Users who are viewing this thread