What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: Jaelen Strong 26 year old free agent (1 Viewer)

He had 2 targets and 2 catches...
For touchdowns.

The only reason HOU wasnt blown the Eff out, was because of him.

Get him on the field, BOB, you idiot. Will likely be fired anyways
I haven't seen enough of this kid to develop any depth to my opinion of his future prospects but I did like what I saw on his two TDs last night

Hail Mary - he did a good job of eating up real estate and tracking the ball in the air. But what really impressed me was how he subtly boxed out the defenders using his size to make the catch-area much bigger for himself. I agree that Indy's defense fell asleep in this play but we shouldn't discount how Strong created space for himself in the end zone.

TD #2 - This was a blown coverage, not something Strong created. However, I was impressed at how quickly he diagnosed it and his concentration on the catch to secure the ball (showing his strong hands) while making sure to stay in bounds.

Very small sample size but I saw things I liked. Some of the things that were impressive about his college game translated well into these two plays last night. I think, at the very least, he's earned a right to see how he can fit into the more nuanced, regular portions of the offense.

Rotoworld:

Jaelen Strong caught two passes for 23 yards and a touchdown in Week 15 against the Colts.

Strong replaced Cecil Shorts (groin) in the second half. He scored the Texans only touchdown on a fourth-quarter sideline pass from Brandon Weeden. Strong should continue to play in three-wide sets if Shorts doesn't return next week.

Dec 20 - 4:50 PM

More playing time, couple of nice catches. He could have a nice role next year if he develops. Still need a QB over there though.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien praised second-year WR Jaelen Strong for his improved conditioning at OTAs.
O'Brien admitted he was "concerned" when Strong showed up out of shape at this time last summer. A 2015 third-round pick, Strong spent most of his rookie year playing behind Cecil Shorts and Nate Washington, even struggling to pass Keith Mumphery on the depth chart before late in the year. With Will Fuller in Houston, Strong may need an injury ahead of him to see meaningful 2016 snaps.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 
May 31 - 5:42 PM

As a prospect I liked him more than I like Fuller this year, but them drafting Fuller gives me pause.  Should be an interesting battle and one of those guys will be valuable.  Anyone know the positions that each play?  Is Strong Nuk's backup or is he opposite him?

As a prospect I liked him more than I like Fuller this year, but them drafting Fuller gives me pause.  Should be an interesting battle and one of those guys will be valuable.  Anyone know the positions that each play?  Is Strong Nuk's backup or is he opposite him?
Strong is not Nuk's backup.

In the 11 package I would expect to see him play inside of DHop with Fuller opposite DHop.

In the 21 package I would expect Strong and Fuller to take turns opposite DHop..

In the 10 package (4 wrs) he would play inside with Shorts with DHop and Fuller on the outside.

I would also not be surprised to see a 00 package with 5 wrs. 

A lot depends on how well and quickly Fuller picks up the system, how good the OLine gels and it should be a lot better than last year, how good Osweiller picks up the system. 

Also Braxton Miller will play some inside when he shows he has picked up the offense. He is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands and fully recovered from his shoulder injury could be very valuable as a Wildcat Formation . 

They have the personnel to run the Wildcat, Jet Sweep and Fly Sweep formations.

I am quite partial to the 11 system with three WR's, a TE and a RB. Lamar Miller and Tyler Ervin are both very good catching running backs either in a bubble route or just coming out of the backfield. 

The Texans can have for the first time that I can remember a very dynamic offense and IF the OLine and Osweiller work out as expected will catch a lot of "experts" off guard. 

Sophomore Texans WR Jaelen Strong vows to have an improved attitude this season.
"I took the coaching, I took the criticism, I took everything, and just got right," Strong said Tuesday. Strong was responding to coach Bill O'Brien's assertion that he's been one of the team's most improved players this offseason. Strong seemed to have a classic case of "not getting it" as a rookie, and was arrested for marijuana possession in February. He played only 292 regular season snaps. Strong has also dropped weight, plunging from the 230-pound range to 197. The Texans can talk Strong up all they want, but their actions — drafting Will Fuller and Braxton Miller — still suggest healthy skepticism.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter

So, can the Houston offense support a 2nd receiver?

And will that 2nd receiver be Strong?

Mini Camp reports were glowing & now McClain says he has been "terrific through 5 practices."  Is he a break out star that people are ignoring because he plays on the same team as Hopkins?

Jaelen Strong is listed as a starter on the Texans' first unofficial depth chart.
Strong gets the unofficial designation, but the news comes the same day the Houston Chronicle reported it's actually first-rounder Will Fuller who's been running opposite Nuk Hopkins. Strong had a hype-filled offseason, but has been quieter in camp. Fuller's first-round pedigree will be tough for Strong to overcome after a lost rookie season.

Texans second-year WR Jaelen Strong caught four balls for 42 yards in Sunday night's preseason opener.
Strong has reportedly run with the ones in training camp, but he was a second-team receiver on Sunday night behind DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, and Braxton Miller. Strong's Week 1 role has yet to be determined. He is a player we will continue to monitor closely throughout the preseason.

Aug 14 - 9:34 PM

So, can the Houston offense support a 2nd receiver?

And will that 2nd receiver be Strong?

Mini Camp reports were glowing & now McClain says he has been "terrific through 5 practices."  Is he a break out star that people are ignoring because he plays on the same team as Hopkins?
I quietly stashed him away everywhere that I could.  I don't know about being a break-out star, but I think WR3 is possible this year (based on TDs, not volume). 

I think Fuller will start over him.

Will Fuller worked as the Texans' clear-cut No. 2 receiver in Sunday night's preseason opener.
The Texans' three-receiver package to begin the game had DeAndre Hopkins and Fuller outside with rookie Braxton Miller in the slot. Jaelen Strong -- with whom Fuller is believed to be competing -- worked with the Tom Savage group. Based on this small sample, Fuller appears to be locked into two-receiver sets. Fuller caught his lone target for four yards and also fielded a punt. Aug 14 - 8:44 PM

Jaelen Strong caught 3-of-5 targets for 25 yards in Saturday's preseason game.
Strong played a few snaps with Brock Osweiler under center, but got most of his run with Tom Savage at the controls. The Texans appear set with Nuk Hopkins, Will Fuller and Braxton Miller in three-receiver sets. Strong had a praise-filled offseason, but Fuller and Miller have impressed as rookies, relegating Strong to the second team. He has seven grabs for 67 yards through two exhibition games.

Aug 20 - 10:45 PM

Texans WR Jaelen Strong says he's down to 198 pounds.

Strong was listed at 205-pounds last season. The lower weight should help with his return from offseason ankle surgery. Strong is competing with Braxton Miller for the No. 3 role behind DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller.

Bronco Billy said:
Yeah, hard to believe from a guy who has been in the league 2 years and has produced when they've actually thrown him the ball.
But he's only really good in the red zone. And that's not useful, is it?

It's literally about to be his 3rd year in the league... how is that a surprise?
It's not a surprise, he's just buried behind 2 newer draft picks in Miller and Fuller and by a much better WR in Hopkins. Strong is completely irrelevant to fantasy for all intents and purposes.  And the average NFL player lasts 3 years in the nfl, so it wouldn't be surprising if he's almost done.

It sucks because I really liked Strong after watching his tape. He had great hands and worked like Hopkins to get open. Not with speed, but with technique.  But after 2 years of ownership he had to be cut.  I replaced him with Cooper Kupp, who reminds me a lot of Strong for better or worse.

It's not a surprise, he's just buried behind 2 newer draft picks in Miller and Fuller and by a much better WR in Hopkins. Strong is completely irrelevant to fantasy for all intents and purposes.  And the average NFL player lasts 3 years in the nfl, so it wouldn't be surprising if he's almost done.

It sucks because I really liked Strong after watching his tape. He had great hands and worked like Hopkins to get open. Not with speed, but with technique.  But after 2 years of ownership he had to be cut.  I replaced him with Cooper Kupp, who reminds me a lot of Strong for better or worse.
I liked him too when coming out and all he's done since then is make plays when given a chance.  Fuller screams bust to me and Braxton is all ceiling not much polish, maybe he's just one of those guys that takes time to develop.  The problem is he plays the same role as Nuk does and there isn't really a chance to pass him for that spot.  Their similarities make him buried to me rather than an inability to beat out Fuller or Miller as the reason he can't break through.  

I liked him too when coming out and all he's done since then is make plays when given a chance.  Fuller screams bust to me and Braxton is all ceiling not much polish, maybe he's just one of those guys that takes time to develop.  The problem is he plays the same role as Nuk does and there isn't really a chance to pass him for that spot.  Their similarities make him buried to me rather than an inability to beat out Fuller or Miller as the reason he can't break through.  

I think Strong made a poor impression his rookie year with a lack of big league work ethic, but turned it around last year and by all accounts busted his ***.  I guess the staff just fell in love with Fuller dropping balls down the sideline.  I've seen Strong work deep and he's damned effective.  He'll never beat any NFL CB with his speed but his adjustments while the ball is in the air to give himself room and to high point the ball are pretty special IMO.

I think Strong made a poor impression his rookie year with a lack of big league work ethic, but turned it around last year and by all accounts busted his ***.  I guess the staff just fell in love with Fuller dropping balls down the sideline.  I've seen Strong work deep and he's damned effective.  He'll never beat any NFL CB with his speed but his adjustments while the ball is in the air to give himself room and to high point the ball are pretty special IMO.
Yeah there was 1 game last year that just stuck in my mind of him catching 2 TD's I think that were just super elevated with strong hands.  The guy could be great with a good QB that throws backshoulders or things like that.  Very similar to Mike Williams actually.  Which makes me wonder if it's simply a offensive fit to use guys like that.  Or teams don't like having 2 of those guys starting (Nuk and Strong together might give something away) since they both play in a similar fashion.   

The odds are extremely low, but he's a guy who could break out after going to a new team in FA.  Kind of like Crabtree?  He was never appreciated/used well on his first team and was able to get a foothold on his second.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-WR-Jaelen-Strong-leaner-quicker-entering-11411932.php

"Receivers coach John Perry has been impressed with Strong's dedicated approach. He envisions Strong, 6-2, operating as a red-zone threat and in using his size and leaping ability in jump-ball situations.

'He has really approached this offseason, come in for a lot of extra help, watched a lot of extra film,' Perry said. 'He's taken ownership of what his future is. I think he knows whatever his future holds is going to be a product of what he's done. I've been really impressed by what he's done. He's a bigger guy. That's what he has to do. The guy where you put the ball up as a bigger receiver and have him go up there and get it. I see him doing that for us.'

Strong has been learning a lot from new assistant Wes Welker, a former Pro Bowl receiver with the New England Patriots and Denver Broncos."

Strong has potential but he's so buried on the depth chart that I can't see him doing much unless he lucks into one of those 35-525-9 TD type years where he sees a lot of end zone throws near the goal line and gets a couple big weeks out of it.

Texans third-year WR Jaelen Strong will see more opportunities after Will Fuller broke his collarbone.

A nearly 70-percent slot receiver last season, Strong will likely move outside to book end DeAndre Hopkins with Braxton Miller in the slot. Strong has been a major disappointment through two NFL seasons, struggling with conditioning and off-field issues. This is likely his make-or-break year in Houston.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Aug 3 - 4:44 PM

One of my favorite dirt cheap/free end of bench dyno stashes going into the season, despite the suspension. Seems to have some talent, hearing good things about the work ethic, and has enough opportunity to see what you've got quickly and dump him if it's not working out.

Worth a look or nah?  Any word from homers on his synchronization with Watson during camp & pre-season?

I don't think Watson could tell you what number Strong wears.  Watson never even looked at him (or anyone else except Nuk).  It's a shame, because a WR who will go and get bad throws like Strong will could be a tremendous asset to a young QB like him.  As long as Watson is in HOU, I don't see Strong having any value at all.

Now I've got to figure out if he's worth hanging onto in the event that he moves on to another team.  His career is dead as long as he's a Texan.

I don't think Watson could tell you what number Strong wears.  Watson never even looked at him (or anyone else except Nuk).  It's a shame, because a WR who will go and get bad throws like Strong will could be a tremendous asset to a young QB like him.  As long as Watson is in HOU, I don't see Strong having any value at all.

Now I've got to figure out if he's worth hanging onto in the event that he moves on to another team.  His career is dead as long as he's a Texan.
Solved.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20747420/houston-texans-release-receiver-jaelen-strong

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Looks like I'll hold him for a little while.  I still think - perhaps completely unfounded - that the talent and ability is there.

Looks like I'll hold him for a little while.  I still think - perhaps completely unfounded - that the talent and ability is there.
I do too, just grabbed him from waivers, but gotta be concerned about why they would dump him.  Saw it mentioned somewhere there's another drug arrest out there.

Jaguars claimed WR Jaelen Strong off waivers from the Texans.

Strong had worn out his welcome in Houston, but is still only 23, and just two years removed from being the No. 70 overall pick of the draft. The Jaguars have nearly nonexistent receiver depth behind Marqise Lee and Allen Hurns. It could be a nice fresh start situation for Strong, though it's ultimately hard to see what will be different from his time in Houston.

Mike Kaye‏Verified account @mike_e_kaye 40m40 minutes ago

The #Jaguars have released WR Jaelen Strong, per league source.

Looks like I was way off base here, and I’m still not sure what happened.  Thought he got a needed wake up call his rookie year but just never pulled it together.  Frustrating to watch, but it happens as much as not.

I thought this guy was going to be a very solid WR, he flashed during a handful of games, but just never quite made it. Not sure why.
Not quick enough and poor conditioning. If you watch his combine, he has a potbelly. If you watch his tape, you see that he doesn't release off the line that quickly. Seems like he doesn't give 100% when he is out there. Now he has a torn ACL. This dude is done. :-/

Browns released WR Jaelen Strong.

Strong, 25, had been making a case for a roster spot in Cleveland, so this is a tad surprising. His play in the third preseason game, however, likely did him in, as Strong caught just 2-of-7 targets for 11 yards. He dropped a pass and was the target on an interception. Strong played over two-thirds of the snaps that night, a sign he was on the bubble. Strong is running out of chances.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 8:01 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread