What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Bowe (2 Viewers)

I honestly think people are over-reacting to tonights game. I don't own Bowe--and if Bowe owners really feel the way that the sentiment in this thread shows they feel about him-- I'm certainly going to look to buy very low. First of all-- it was a Thursday night game--- against a Chip Kelly offense. With 3 days of prep time--the only offensive strategy is to dink and dunk and to keep the Philly offense off of the field as much as possible-- I would bet that this was the gameplan. Alex smith to Dwayne bowe is going to lose in a shootout to Mike Vick to Desean Jackson. I think that for this matchup--the obvious strategy was the run game and the short pass game--which basically makes Bowe a decoy. I'm not saying that Bowe is a high end wr2---but I do feel like he is a low end wr2/high end wr3 that apparently might be able to be acquired for cheaper than that at this very moment.
You can have him for the Jags defense.
lol..wow...his value did really drop after last night. From wr2 to a un-rosterable defensive team. Impressive. lol

Put it this way, If he didn't go for 100/TD I'm actually glad he went 1/4 because it makes it an easy decision to bench him going forward. Had he gone 6/70 I probably would keep running him out there and getting mediocrity at best.

I honestly think people are over-reacting to tonights game. I don't own Bowe--and if Bowe owners really feel the way that the sentiment in this thread shows they feel about him-- I'm certainly going to look to buy very low. First of all-- it was a Thursday night game--- against a Chip Kelly offense. With 3 days of prep time--the only offensive strategy is to dink and dunk and to keep the Philly offense off of the field as much as possible-- I would bet that this was the gameplan. Alex smith to Dwayne bowe is going to lose in a shootout to Mike Vick to Desean Jackson. I think that for this matchup--the obvious strategy was the run game and the short pass game--which basically makes Bowe a decoy. I'm not saying that Bowe is a high end wr2---but I do feel like he is a low end wr2/high end wr3 that apparently might be able to be acquired for cheaper than that at this very moment.
That's all I got from your nonsense. Thinly veiled brag if you ask me. :doh:

Put it this way, If he didn't go for 100/TD I'm actually glad he went 1/4 because it makes it an easy decision to bench him going forward. Had he gone 6/70 I probably would keep running him out there and getting mediocrity at best.
Yep, nothing more than bye week filler to me now.

Avery was pretty effective there. He had 60 catches for the Colts last year and KC went out and got him. The offense looked good working him in. And for some reason they dragged Jenkins into the gameplan over Hemingway (also a bigger target). The TE's really aren't a factor in the pass game but Smith is still looking for his Vern Davis - I don't think Bowe will be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes he is bad almost unrosterable.... Def unstartable at the least... Alex Smith is a wr1 Nightmare just ask Michael Crabtree.... geez. if that wasn't a sign I don't know what is.

Don't say Bloom didn't try to warn you. See post 51.
He also had him above Foster, Gore, Fitzgerald and James Jones in his projections.
True. I really thought PHI O would do enough to force KC out of comfort zone and give Bowe a decent amount of targets against this weak, weak secondary. Floyd and Royal's numbers last week had me excited to play Bowe for just this week. That won't happen again.

Don't say Bloom didn't try to warn you. See post 51.
He also had him above Foster, Gore, Fitzgerald and James Jones in his projections.
True. I really thought PHI O would do enough to force KC out of comfort zone and give Bowe a decent amount of targets against this weak, weak secondary. Floyd and Royal's numbers last week had me excited to play Bowe for just this week. That won't happen again.
no kidding.....

yes he is bad almost unrosterable.... Def unstartable at the least... Alex Smith is a wr1 Nightmare just ask Michael Crabtree.... geez. if that wasn't a sign I don't know what is.
Reid should take some blame as well....If Donnie F-ing Avery can run an underneath route across the middle I'm sure Dwayne Bowe could. Reid should have Bowe running routes to the strength of Alex Smith and let Avery run the clear out routes. Why would you pay your best wide receiver 56 million to be a blocker and decoy?

Totally agree...his #### is firmly planted on my bench until further notice...tavon austin, welcome to the big leagues! I'd rather flex one of my TE's moving forward than Bowe... If this type of production keeps up by midseason he is a prime drop candidate. I dont think he is droppable yet unless it's for a very important pick up (like your rb goes down and you need to grab his backup)

Reid should take some blame as well....If Donnie F-ing Avery can run an underneath route across the middle I'm sure Dwayne Bowe could. Reid should have Bowe running routes to the strength of Alex Smith and let Avery run the clear out routes. Why would you pay your best wide receiver 56 million to be a blocker and decoy?
the short work week may have also caused for a gerentic dink and donk game plan, something that Smith is very happy to do. Bowe still had 6 targets against Jax and 8 against Dallas, Ried is not a dummy he knows that Bowe is a good player and needs to get the ball in his hands.

The only thing that will save Bowes season is Quarterback Chase Daniel. He has the ability to make the big play and it is one Alex Smith injury away.

The only thing that will save Bowes season is Quarterback Chase Daniel. He has the ability to make the big play and it is one Alex Smith injury away.
I guess the upside to Alex Smith scrambling like a ####### is that sooner or later he should get hurt.

Philly also put on a good pass ruch tonight.
Yeah, Smith was on the move often. It definitely didn't help Bowe's case.

I remember calling Bowe a WR2 this week due to the match-up in some thread around here. I'm a ####### moron.
A big reason I started him is because you and few other people were so sure this was as matchup proof as it gets. :) Oh well...

Blackmon is not rostered in my league and I'm strongly looking at cutting Bowe for Blackmon. Bowe is a WR4 at best who is practically unstartable. If I'm going to carry a WR4, it may as well be a complete flier. Either Blackmon or grab Percy in a few weeks and hope he's good for a playoff run.

Ayayayay, I don't know about that. Chase didn't look all that good in the PS.

Watch him blow up on cue as he's unanimously sat through out all fantasy leagues next week. I underestimated Smith's hesitation to try and make a play with his arm. In all fairness, "Bowe the decoy" worked out well for them. I do however imagine it biting them in the ### down the road (vs. DEN perhaps?) when their defense can't contain and Smith is forced to legitimately make plays.

Watch him blow up on cue as he's unanimously sat through out all fantasy leagues next week. I underestimated Smith's hesitation to try and make a play with his arm. In all fairness, "Bowe the decoy" worked out well for them. I do however imagine it biting them in the ### down the road (vs. DEN perhaps?) when their defense can't contain and Smith is forced to legitimately make plays.
The Chiefs are going to be that team that goes 10-6, possibly 11-5, but gets crushed in the first round the playoffs.

The Chiefs are going to be that team that goes 10-6, possibly 11-5, but gets crushed in the first round the playoffs.
Listening to Sirius fantasy radio, eh?

If Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over and the defense plays the way it has been why would they get crushed in the playoffs? You can't win if you can't score.

Yep. Heard that on Sirius. Not sure which show since it's in a rental car. But it makes sense to me. They remind of that Chiefs team a few years ago that won the AFC West but got embarrassed by the Ravens.

Yep. Heard that on Sirius. Not sure which show since it's in a rental car. But it makes sense to me. They remind of that Chiefs team a few years ago that won the AFC West but got embarrassed by the Ravens.
I'm not a chiefs fan--but considering they went 2-14 last season-- I think that a 10-6/11-5 regular season and a first round playoff loss would still be a major step in the right direction for them.

If Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over and the defense plays the way it has been why would they get crushed in the playoffs? You can't win if you can't score.
Alex Smith is a game manager. He wouldn't know what to do when his team is down. You can't just live on dink passes forever and expect to win in the playoffs. KC defense might be good but it ain't Baltimore 2000. Alex Smith is way worse than Trent Dilfer.

Lol...so you guys think this is going to be the worst season of Bowe's career? I don't think so. He'll end this season with his usual 70-1100-7 TD's.

Lol...so you guys think this is going to be the worst season of Bowe's career? I don't think so. He'll end this season with his usual 70-1100-7 TD's.
For him to reach those numbers he'd have to put up low WR1/high WR2 numbers the rest of the way.

I started reading and was excited since I thought you'd post some wretched "forgotten season." But then it kinda fizzled at the end.

No, Bowe is not going to be what he's been in the last few years, because there won't be garbage-time soft coverage for him to exploit. That's when he gets his numbers. No garbage time... no stats.

But start him against Denver. Start him, and then trade him that weekend.

wow---I'm actually pretty surprised by the lack of optimism here. I was thinking that Bowe was a buy low candidate--but from the sound of things--seems like a lot of Bowe owners are pretty much ready to abandon ship. Has it really gone to the point where this guy might be on waivor wires?

Well, the total money spent on game checks costs the same no matter who is running the underneath routes.

So given that, why not use Bowe as a 56 million dollar decoy and go 3-0 with a 2:1 scoring advantage? If ever there was a time to say "the real life coaches don't care about your fantasy team", this would be it.

wow---I'm actually pretty surprised by the lack of optimism here. I was thinking that Bowe was a buy low candidate--but from the sound of things--seems like a lot of Bowe owners are pretty much ready to abandon ship. Has it really gone to the point where this guy might be on waivor wires?
You have to be concerned about a guy whose fantasy production was based on getting a large number of targets (8-9 a game) and a big share of the team's targets (~25-30%).

Smith has thrown the ball 105 times and only 17 times to Bowe (~16%). Obviously that can change but it could also remain that way considering how Smith can spread the ball around.

on this week's fantasyguru.com podcast, Greg Cosell said that Bowe looks like "a slow tight end" on this year's tape.

Bowe hasn't broken 80yd rec in his last 12 games played (also missed 3 games at the end of last season). He only has 1 TD in that span as well. You can blame the QB situation over that time, but he also looks like an athlete on the decline that got paid and doesn't care anymore.

I think what's the most troubling is how content he is (and with good reason, I mean they're 3-0) with being used as a mere decoy. The first thing he did after one of the worst (was it the worst?) performance of his career is hug his head coach. He's being selfless which is good for the Chiefs, bad for fantasy purposes.

He's not a squeaky wheel, he won't get greased.

I think what's the most troubling is how content he is (and with good reason, I mean they're 3-0) with being used as a mere decoy. The first thing he did after one of the worst (was it the worst?) performance of his career is hug his head coach. He's being selfless which is good for the Chiefs, bad for fantasy purposes.

He got paid. Why should he care about personal stats? He wants a ring.

He got paid. Why should he care about personal stats? He wants a ring.
Ask Mike Wallace.

Not sure I see it that way. There will come a time when KC needs to throw downfield more and be trailing games. I'm guessing he will not be forgotten then.

Stuck with starting either him, Miles "Moon over my Hammy" Austin or waiver wire fodder. I do like the Chargers matchup, tho.

I think a lot has to do with game plan. Last week he was the leagues most expensive decoy. Teams will play him different week to week now. He is not the type of receiver that is matchup proof either. He will have productive weeks going forward. I think though we have to view him as a WR3 going forward and not the high end WR2 we thought he was.

Users who are viewing this thread