What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Bowe (3 Viewers)

I wouldn't count him out from having fantasy production....Smith held back every wr in his career.
I agree, not a WR1 like he was a long, long time ago, but someone you might start as a WR3 with WR2 upside some weeks. He had stretches with good games (at least in 2013 the last time I owned him), but Smith was awful. I had Kelce in one league last year and watching him be open and Smith refusing to throw to him when he was wide open with no one around was maddening. I didn't even look at Bowe, so I can imagine it was similar to 2013 where I felt the same thing, i.e. why the heck isn't Smith throwing it. Honestly, I would be surprised if he was relevant, but I could see something like LaFell last year if he lands in a situation like LaFell did. LaFell would be Bowe's ceiling, but still someone you might start. Bowe likely will be undrafted in most leagues and only drafted in really deep leagues (like 20 rounds), so he's one of those first drops, but if he lands somewhere decent, I would take a flyer on him.

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Bowe - WR - Free Agent
ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley expects the team to have interest in free agent WRs Dwayne Bowe and Stevie Johnson.
Unlike Michael Crabtree and Kenny Britt, Bowe and Johnson were released and won't factor into compensatory draft pick allocation, which is holy to Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome. Bowe and Johnson are both bigger possession-type receivers on the outside, something Baltimore has lacked since Anquan Boldin left.

Related: Ravens

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 13 - 9:48 AM

Rotoworld:

Browns agreed to terms with WR Dwayne Bowe, formerly of the Chiefs, to a two-year contract.

Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Bowe was one of the Browns' "top offseason priorities." Going on 31 — and coming off a zero-touchdown season — Bowe will slot in outside opposite Brian Hartline, with Andrew Hawkins and Taylor Gabriel working the middle of the field. Arch-conservative QB Alex Smith helped depress Bowe's numbers in Kansas City, but it's not as if Josh McCown is going to be a boon for his box scores. Bowe still has something left in the tank, but his fantasy difference-making days are long gone. In 2014, Browns top receivers Bowe, Hartline, and Hawkins combined for four touchdowns on 162 catches. Browns K Garrett Harley is headed for a record-breaking year.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 19 - 1:45 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the guy and he should see plenty of targets. McCown did well with Jeffery in Chicago who Bowe plays similar to.

Could be worse, at least he's a starter.

Disclaimer: Bowe owner.

I like the guy and he should see plenty of targets. McCown did well with Jeffery in Chicago who Bowe plays similar to.

Could be worse, at least he's a starter.

Disclaimer: Bowe owner.
Bowe was in the unique position where signing anywhere, so long as he was still a starter, would be a situational upgrade. However, this was one of the worst ones, but maybe I'm discounting old man McCown.

I seem to recall talk of Bowe having a busted finger last year that was going to continue to be a problem. Can anyone confirm this? Is this something that's going to plague him for the rest of his career?

Bowe was in the unique position where signing anywhere, so long as he was still a starter, would be a situational upgrade. However, this was one of the worst ones, but maybe I'm discounting old man McCown.
I don't think that you're unfairly discounting a guy that has only been able to put together a 4 game stretch of good QB play in his entire career - with that coming in a innovative offensive scheme, with massive skill player talent at his disposal and against some historically horrific defenses.

For anyone thinking McCown is an upgrade from Alex Smith, Smith had a higher YPA in 2014 then McCown did.

I don't think that you're unfairly discounting a guy that has only been able to put together a 4 game stretch of good QB play in his entire career - with that coming in a innovative offensive scheme, with massive skill player talent at his disposal and against some historically horrific defenses.

For anyone thinking McCown is an upgrade from Alex Smith, Smith had a higher YPA in 2014 then McCown did.
McCown actually throws TDs to his WRs.

McCown actually throws TDs to his WRs.
When he has good ones, yes.

That's run after the catch yards and TE/RB production for Smith and incompletions from McCown in Tampa's dreadful offense.

Make no mistake, Dwayne Bowe is a in a better situation. Alex Smith can't throw a 10 yard out route.

getting a little carried away in here with the Smith hate....a lot of the lack of WR production in KC had to do with......

the WR's......

I agree Smith is no Tom Brady, but his WR's have sucked donkey balls while in KC.....having watched every KC game for many years, I can tell you Bowe just isn't that good.....he has never been a TD guy outside of his "outlier" year.....if you think Bowe is that good, that's on you.....he sucks....he doesn't scare anybody.....

fantasy people get a little carried away with generalizations about "no WR TD's".....as a team, KC barely missed the playoffs this year....made the playoffs two years ago and beat both super bowl teams this year......with suck #### WR's.....

in the playoff loss two years ago to IND....Smith went 30-46 378 4 TD's.....when Charles and Davis went out with injury (Charles in opening possession)....they also lost Avery in that game.....some fluky stuff (Luck fumble recovery TD, Houston out with injury, etc) aided the comeback on what otherwise was a great performance by Smith on the road in a big game....Bowe had 8-150 in that game, but there was no Kelce, no nothing....he will dink and dunk if that all he has.....and he is conservative....but that's usually the gameplan with a game changer in the backfield....

the gameplan in KC will always feature Charles....especially when the WR's suck.....but Smith can be serviceable when needed and step up in the passing game.....

this is a Bowe thread, and I know I talked mostly about Smith and he is who he is......but I'm just saying buyer beware on Bowe.....your chasing stats from his outlier year if you think it is all Smith's fault.....Bowe ain't that good....

getting a little carried away in here with the Smith hate....a lot of the lack of WR production in KC had to do with......

the WR's......

I agree Smith is no Tom Brady, but his WR's have sucked donkey balls while in KC.....having watched every KC game for many years, I can tell you Bowe just isn't that good.....he has never been a TD guy outside of his "outlier" year.....if you think Bowe is that good, that's on you.....he sucks....he doesn't scare anybody.....

fantasy people get a little carried away with generalizations about "no WR TD's".....as a team, KC barely missed the playoffs this year....made the playoffs two years ago and beat both super bowl teams this year......with suck #### WR's.....

in the playoff loss two years ago to IND....Smith went 30-46 378 4 TD's.....when Charles and Davis went out with injury (Charles in opening possession)....they also lost Avery in that game.....some fluky stuff (Luck fumble recovery TD, Houston out with injury, etc) aided the comeback on what otherwise was a great performance by Smith on the road in a big game....Bowe had 8-150 in that game, but there was no Kelce, no nothing....he will dink and dunk if that all he has.....and he is conservative....but that's usually the gameplan with a game changer in the backfield....

the gameplan in KC will always feature Charles....especially when the WR's suck.....but Smith can be serviceable when needed and step up in the passing game.....

this is a Bowe thread, and I know I talked mostly about Smith and he is who he is......but I'm just saying buyer beware on Bowe.....your chasing stats from his outlier year if you think it is all Smith's fault.....Bowe ain't that good....
Do me a favor this year and count how many out routes that Smith throws to WR's further than 7 yards.

That's run after the catch yards and TE/RB production for Smith and incompletions from McCown in Tampa's dreadful offense.

Make no mistake, Dwayne Bowe is a in a better situation. Alex Smith can't throw a 10 yard out route.
Tampa's dreadful offense kept McCown down? Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson caused McCown to throw incompletions?

Since you can't trade bowe for much, might as well ride this one out. By camp time we should hear 'best shape of my career' talk.

Since you can't trade bowe for much, might as well ride this one out. By camp time we should hear 'best shape of my career' talk.
I gave up a mid 3rd for him, 10 team PPR

Come end of next season, I will have committed grand larceny.

Bowe sucks, and he's not going to do anything this year. If he is on your team just clear the roster space as soon as you get the chance.

Bowe has been on the decline for some time. It's not just his zero TDs last year. He hasn't hit 100yd rec in a regular season game since week 4, 2012. That level of futility is almost impossible for a WR1 in the modern passing era. Alex Smith gets some of the blame, but Bowe gets zero separation and has long lost whatever form he had back in 2010. The only reason he still takes up a roster spot is because the Browns foolishly gave him $9M guaranteed.

Bowe has been on the decline for some time. It's not just his zero TDs last year. He hasn't hit 100yd rec in a regular season game since week 4, 2012. That level of futility is almost impossible for a WR1 in the modern passing era. Alex Smith gets some of the blame, but Bowe gets zero separation and has long lost whatever form he had back in 2010. The only reason he still takes up a roster spot is because the Browns foolishly gave him $9M guaranteed.
This reminds me of a fantasy football draft where some new guppie owner takes a former top-5 pick 2 years past his prime in the 1st round.

Users who are viewing this thread