What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Bowe (1 Viewer)

Chiefs threw the ball 34 times vs Jags. Dont think Bowe didn't do much just because of game script. This is not going to be an offense that throws downfield very often. Bowe owners are going to be disappointed more often than not this year.

You HAVE to throw downfiield when you're up against teams who have an offense that scores actual points. If anyone know this, its Andy Reid. To think it won't happen is foolish.

Andy Reid offenses have always played a solid mix of short and long passes.

Alex Smith, as has been discussed, DOES throw the ball downfield, despite the perception that he doesn't.

If you dont like Bowe, cool... But using falsities to prove why you don't is lame as ####.

Judging him after a drubbing of a terrible team (in which he led the team in targets, still) is ridiculous.

Oh, they didn't target him 40yds down field!!! Um.. what for? Was the need there?

Chiefs were up 14-2 after 1, and 21-2 after 2. Smart, short gains to eat the clock were the order of the day.

You HAVE to throw downfiield when you're up against teams who have an offense that scores actual points. If anyone know this, its Andy Reid. To think it won't happen is foolish.
Tonight will be a good test of this theory. I'm not optimistic.

Didn't see Bowe in there on the Chiefs last red-zone possession. Looks like Reid went with all small guys in a 4-wide set. Interesting.

Why doesn't Smith just throw it up in Bowe's direction?!
That was frustrating. I think he got the first target of the game, another early in the 1st quarter and then not a single target until 4 minutes left?

There you go, why go to Bowe on an important 3rd down play to ice the game. Let's throw it to AJ Jenkins and watch it bounce off his hands.

It's not bowe it's smith. Bowe is still the great wr he has always been. Matt cassell (gulp) was better for bowe than smith. Smith is not a great qb, fantasy or nfl. I realize this now.

His conservative style and weak arm will never win KC a sb. Their defense will keep them competitive. But imagine if their defense was still bad? 16-20 pts a game ain't gonna cut it.

It's not bowe it's smith. Bowe is still the great wr he has always been. Matt cassell (gulp) was better for bowe than smith. Smith is not a great qb, fantasy or nfl. I realize this now.

His conservative style and weak arm will never win KC a sb. Their defense will keep them competitive. But imagine if their defense was still bad? 16-20 pts a game ain't gonna cut it.
Cassel, Smith, whoever. Didn't matter. Bowe has only performed in garbage time. Those stats count just as much as any other, but with the exception of one season, he's been strictly a player who exploits soft, "we're just sitting on a lead and spinning the clock" coverage.

And yet every year, people talk about him like a legit WR2. Every. Year.

I honestly think people are over-reacting to tonights game. I don't own Bowe--and if Bowe owners really feel the way that the sentiment in this thread shows they feel about him-- I'm certainly going to look to buy very low. First of all-- it was a Thursday night game--- against a Chip Kelly offense. With 3 days of prep time--the only offensive strategy is to dink and dunk and to keep the Philly offense off of the field as much as possible-- I would bet that this was the gameplan. Alex smith to Dwayne bowe is going to lose in a shootout to Mike Vick to Desean Jackson. I think that for this matchup--the obvious strategy was the run game and the short pass game--which basically makes Bowe a decoy. I'm not saying that Bowe is a high end wr2---but I do feel like he is a low end wr2/high end wr3 that apparently might be able to be acquired for cheaper than that at this very moment.

I honestly think people are over-reacting to tonights game. I don't own Bowe--and if Bowe owners really feel the way that the sentiment in this thread shows they feel about him-- I'm certainly going to look to buy very low. First of all-- it was a Thursday night game--- against a Chip Kelly offense. With 3 days of prep time--the only offensive strategy is to dink and dunk and to keep the Philly offense off of the field as much as possible-- I would bet that this was the gameplan. Alex smith to Dwayne bowe is going to lose in a shootout to Mike Vick to Desean Jackson. I think that for this matchup--the obvious strategy was the run game and the short pass game--which basically makes Bowe a decoy. I'm not saying that Bowe is a high end wr2---but I do feel like he is a low end wr2/high end wr3 that apparently might be able to be acquired for cheaper than that at this very moment.
You can have him for the Jags defense.

I have to say this is unfolding about exactly as I expected. I never could understand why the blurps were always "gonna be a target monster", "might lead the league in targets and big plays". Alex Smith is a smart game manager with a less than cannon arm. That is everything you need to know wrapped up in one sentence. He is smart enough to read the defenses, athletic enough to make the play that the defense gives him, and has Charles open on seemingly every play. If Charles isn't there, then the short middle is the ticket. I really don't see it going any other way.

Teams are going to start adjusting and creeping up and that will force the Chiefs to at least take shots down the field to try to make the defense play honest but I don't have the faith that Smith can get that ball down the field like that consistently enough to make Bowe that every week deep threat that you put in your lineup.

Watching Alex Smith for the first time last night, but he looked just like his old self. A game manager and nothing more. He seems to fancy himself a scrambler, and he's athletic enough but just doesn't have the vision or innate running ability to take that first step and go. He doesn't trust his arm to get the ball downfield, and Bowe will be MIA all season long, as the KC defense is going to keep them in close games against the best opponents and against the worst, they will kill the clock with conservative play caling and running. There may be one or two weeks where Alex Smith is going to be forced to throw the ball and target Bowe. Meanwhile you can continue to start him waiting on that 4th or 5th round draft choice fantasy return. I'd be cautious even on a buy low. Better to stay away.

I have bowe. Ive been terrorized all season too by the dink and dunk. I'm going to try to fight the urge to drop him next bidding cycle for cap space, but it's going to be hard.That said above poster is right. This was Reid's game plan today. I feel like a jackass for not seeing this before kickoff, it was always "hold the ball and take from them"...make captain checkdown GOD checkdown. They executed it and won.

Ultimately bowe is still with captain checkdown, so he is gonna be sub par. That said, not sure if you noticed just how team focused bowe is right now, hugging Reid post game, staying out WAY after game to cheer with fans and even for Alex smith! Personally I'd like to see bowe care more about bowe :) . But I believe this good attitude to be used as a decoy will pay off, he will get redeemed when the situation permits it. I think we might just be stuck trying to determine when/if that is...

Can't sell him, no one will buy. I do think predicting when to start may be near impossible

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold Bowe for Gronk just before the first game of the season. Never liked that pick. Post draft, circled his name and made it a point to move him someway, somehow. One of those guys you say to yourself seconds after, "what was I thinking?"

Users who are viewing this thread