What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duron Carter cut by the Colts ----lets see what the other 31 do (3 Viewers)

AAAARRRRGGGH! My commish just sent out a league wide email basically announcing this guys eligibility on the waiver wire! DAMN!

I love this commish since he does an amazing job...but every time I'm trying to sneak a guy through, he puts on a parade for the guy! LOL! I have minimal FA $$s so I was hoping I could sneak him onto my roster. Now I'll certainly be out bid by some guy from a bottom feeder team who has no clue and is just bidding because he has money and the player is making a stir.

:(

Would he be considered a rookie if he was signed by an NFL team? As far as I know he never signed with a NFL team.

Anybody know what constitutes a NFL rookie?

Thanks Saber for making sure this topic stayed off topic until my waivers ran! I managed to land him this morning though so we can go back to talking about Duron Carter now.

Would he be considered a rookie if he was signed by an NFL team? As far as I know he never signed with a NFL team.

I don't know exactly how it works but I'm pretty positive he wouldn't be considered a rookie because he has already declared for the NFL draft before and he was never signed that year (which would have been his rookie year). I'm pretty sure the only reason he's available for pickup in leagues is because he did declare for the draft and he did try out for some teams in the past.

I don't know exactly how it works but I'm pretty positive he wouldn't be considered a rookie because he has already declared for the NFL draft before and he was never signed that year (which would have been his rookie year). I'm pretty sure the only reason he's available for pickup in leagues is because he did declare for the draft and he did try out for some teams in the past.
I assumed rookie meant first year player in the NFL. Baseball has players come up after a few years in the minors and are rookies. Why would the NFL be different? Why does it matter?

I assumed rookie meant first year player in the NFL. Baseball has players come up after a few years in the minors and are rookies. Why would the NFL be different? Why does it matter?
He could be. I may be wrong. I know for sure he wouldn't be treated like a rookie when it comes to the draft, etc. He can start working out with teams in a little over a week, but can't sign until February. But you're right, he might still technically be considered a rookie.

After watching the brief highlights that were posted in here, a good comp for him looks like it could be Justin Hunter. Nice speed, but he looks pretty weak though, like he's never lifted weights a day in his life.

If his head really is on straight, his NFL caliber training will begin on Dec 1 and he will have many months to work on his issues. On his jump balls, it doesn't look like he does a great job high pointing the ball. He makes nice catches over those CB's, but I don't think he'd be making those catches against NFL CB's unless he high points the ball better.

Also, what is his actual height? In the videos he doesn't look 6'5 to me. He's not THAT much taller than everybody else. On RW, it says he's 6'4. On his draft scout page he's 6'3. There's a pretty big difference between 6'3 and 6'5.

AAAARRRRGGGH! My commish just sent out a league wide email basically announcing this guys eligibility on the waiver wire! DAMN!

I love this commish since he does an amazing job...but every time I'm trying to sneak a guy through, he puts on a parade for the guy! LOL! I have minimal FA $$s so I was hoping I could sneak him onto my roster. Now I'll certainly be out bid by some guy from a bottom feeder team who has no clue and is just bidding because he has money and the player is making a stir.

:(
I'm sorry for your loss.

After watching the brief highlights that were posted in here, a good comp for him looks like it could be Justin Hunter. Nice speed, but he looks pretty weak though, like he's never lifted weights a day in his life.

If his head really is on straight, his NFL caliber training will begin on Dec 1 and he will have many months to work on his issues. On his jump balls, it doesn't look like he does a great job high pointing the ball. He makes nice catches over those CB's, but I don't think he'd be making those catches against NFL CB's unless he high points the ball better.

Also, what is his actual height? In the videos he doesn't look 6'5 to me. He's not THAT much taller than everybody else. On RW, it says he's 6'4. On his draft scout page he's 6'3. There's a pretty big difference between 6'3 and 6'5.
He didn't go to the actual combine, but to a regional combine:

Duron Carter's regional combine numbers: 6'3" 201, 4.54 electronic 40, 36" vert,10'9" broad. Cris Carter's son invited to Super regional.
He was invited to the NFL's Super Regional combine but was sick:

The league scouted between 2,600 to 2,700 players before deciding on the 209 players to invite to Arlington _ Ohio State’s Duron Carter, the son of Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, became ill and was unable to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got him in MFL today...

From Canada... watch no CFL... hear his name a lot in highlights...

what should I expect?

Got him in MFL today...

From Canada... watch no CFL... hear his name a lot in highlights...

what should I expect?
He'll be playing in the CFL East finals this weekend if you have access to any of the stations that will be playing it in the US

http://cfl.ca/page/2014-us-broadcast-schedule

It's a very, very different type of game of football though...
I live in Toronto... I know about the CFL, but I never watch it. literally never sat thru a game.

I guess I could ask my old man.

Ill just hold for a bit and see what he does in the nfl... which is probably nothing

Got him in a few leagues. Already have offers coming in. What kind of pick would you take for him? anything?

identikit said:
6'3 201 is rail thin. 4.54 is pretty slow too. I'll pass.
He doesn't look rail-thin to me.

Or slow on the field.
Easy to look fast in the CFL.
OK
They do get a running start at the line. :shrug:
Yeah, I know.

I still don't see slow anywhere on the field when I watch him play.

I think he's fast enough for the NFL.

If he doesn't make the leap, it'll likely be for another reason.

Like for being a :whoosh: :rant: :no:

I remember watching a scientific study that showed that a "moving start" wasnt necessarily faster than a "dead start"... or at least the difference was negligible.

So not a big deal

Got him in a few leagues. Already have offers coming in. What kind of pick would you take for him? anything?
:shrug: either a raw prospect you like or a 3rd round pick, maybe.

In a FF league where WRs are king, I'll be hanging onto the lottery ticket unless someone buys into the hype. Trading won't be open for us until after February so his value will either skyrocket or die about the same time we can trade.

The CBA defines a rookie as a person who has never before signed a player contract with an NFL club.My guess is that the tryout contracts he had in 2013 were enough to make last season his rookie year.

Soulfly3 said:
I remember watching a scientific study that showed that a "moving start" wasnt necessarily faster than a "dead start"... or at least the difference was negligible.

So not a big deal
Maybe not, but a guy with a forward moving start vs a another guy who has to dead start from a backwards position? I'd have to think that's an advantage for the guy moving forward at the snap of the ball.

The CBA defines a rookie as a person who has never before signed a player contract with an NFL club.My guess is that the tryout contracts he had in 2013 were enough to make last season his rookie year.
Source please. This is getting to be a big issue in a couple of leagues for me, whether or not he's actually a Rookie.

Source please. This is getting to be a big issue in a couple of leagues for me, whether or not he's actually a Rookie.
Article 1, page 3 of the CBA: https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/cba-download/

Soulfly3 said:

So not a big deal
Not sure how that's scientifically possible. That's like saying a car will have the same time going 0-60 as it would 10-60.

Here's are the 10m splits by top sprinters - the first 10m are by far the slowest.

Montreal playing live today on ESPN at Noon Central. Eastern final winner goes on to Grey Cup final.

I know there are actual NFL games on at the same time but if you want to watch Carter live today is a good chance.

He didn't do much in the playoff game. His best play may have been drawing a pass interference call. His coach challenged the play and won.

He didn't do much in the playoff game. His best play may have been drawing a pass interference call. His coach challenged the play and won.
Overrated?
Avoiding injury because his chance in the NFL looms?
Good point, wasn't sure, didn't get to watch him much. For those who have seen him, is he the real deal?
He's a dart throw. Looks kind of like a faster Marques Colston IMO. Rangy and long strides. The key for him will be work ethic and landing spot. If a team with a good QB signs him, I'm in. But I don't expect that he's a superstar. Potentially a good WR2 that can be had VERY cheap.

Overrated?
Good point, wasn't sure, didn't get to watch him much. For those who have seen him, is he the real deal?
He's a dart throw. Looks kind of like a faster Marques Colston IMO. Rangy and long strides. The key for him will be work ethic and landing spot. If a team with a good QB signs him, I'm in. But I don't expect that he's a superstar. Potentially a good WR2 that can be had VERY cheap.
It's only one game that I saw but I didn't see anything great from Carter. Maybe he can latch on as a backup in the NFL. The more impressive Montreal receiver was S.J. Green. He showed good hands and an ability to get separation. I did not see the latter from Carter.

Green was in Carter's position five years ago. Green signed a futures contract with the Jets in January 2010 and got cut in the spring.

Overrated?
It's only one game that I saw but I didn't see anything great from Carter. Maybe he can latch on as a backup in the NFL. The more impressive Montreal receiver was S.J. Green. He showed good hands and an ability to get separation. I did not see the latter from Carter. Green was in Carter's position five years ago. Green signed a futures contract with the Jets in January 2010 and got cut in the spring.
How much of the hype (what there is anyway) is simply his name?

Overrated?
It's only one game that I saw but I didn't see anything great from Carter. Maybe he can latch on as a backup in the NFL. The more impressive Montreal receiver was S.J. Green. He showed good hands and an ability to get separation. I did not see the latter from Carter.Green was in Carter's position five years ago. Green signed a futures contract with the Jets in January 2010 and got cut in the spring.
90%

Overrated?
It's only one game that I saw but I didn't see anything great from Carter. Maybe he can latch on as a backup in the NFL. The more impressive Montreal receiver was S.J. Green. He showed good hands and an ability to get separation. I did not see the latter from Carter.Green was in Carter's position five years ago. Green signed a futures contract with the Jets in January 2010 and got cut in the spring.
Most of it. People wonder if he has the ability that his dad had since they have the same genes. They both hard rocky starts to their career due to off field issues. The hope is that Duron is getting on track now and maybe he has the chance to be great. The chances are definitely slim though.

If the Colts sign him, he's a screaming buy. If the Jets sign him, you can act like he doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread