What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duron Carter cut by the Colts ----lets see what the other 31 do (3 Viewers)

If you still are harboring hope for this guy, you're not thinking things through.

The hype was born out of an interesting back story, really. Ability? Yeah, sure. A bunch of WRs with ability just got cut. And a bunch of WRs with no "upside" just made rosters, including Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown. He couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. He's a year out of college, and couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. The depth of the Colts WR core isn't a problem for Duron Carter. it's a problem for Griff Whalen! Because of the talent in front of him, Griff won't get many targets, or fantasy opportunity. The problem for Duron Carter is that Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown are keeping him off the team.

Was Indy the easiest rotation to crack? No. Could he have made the Panthers or Browns? Maybe. But how can anyone claim a guy has any upside when the thinking has to be, "Man, I hope he goes to the worst group of WRs in the league, so he can maybe get a job..."

It's really dangerous to not step back and re-evaluate these guys. Carter may not have cost you a lot, but he's costing you a roster spot every day. Every team has a young guy that made the team, kind of out of nowhere, and you could have one of those guys on your team.

He needs to be treated like any other UDFA flyer you took, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. You give him a chance to flash, and if he doesn't, you look around for the next sleeper.
This is the exact attitude I had toward my end of the bench roster stash Charles Johnson in a few leagues. I cut him after he was released by the Browns and moved on. I regret it

Almost every FF end-of-roster lottery ticket has been cut before.

If nobody picks him up soon, I would agree that holding him on name recognition is silly. If your roster says "Carter, Duron FA" in week three, you're probably wasting that spot. But right now, a few more days at the end of your roster won't kill you.

Almost every FF end-of-roster lottery ticket has been cut before.

If nobody picks him up soon, I would agree that holding him on name recognition is silly. If your roster says "Carter, Duron FA" in week three, you're probably wasting that spot. But right now, a few more days at the end of your roster won't kill you.
I hate this rational. Carter comes into the league with a boatload of question marks, gets his best possible opportunity to excel with the Colt's, and we still have hope he'll catch on with a lesser offense and work his way to the top of the depth chart? Is anybody still holding Lache Seastrunk?

Barring huge rosters, there HAS to be a better option on the waiver wire, especially at this uncertain point before the season.

If you still are harboring hope for this guy, you're not thinking things through.

The hype was born out of an interesting back story, really. Ability? Yeah, sure. A bunch of WRs with ability just got cut. And a bunch of WRs with no "upside" just made rosters, including Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown. He couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. He's a year out of college, and couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. The depth of the Colts WR core isn't a problem for Duron Carter. it's a problem for Griff Whalen! Because of the talent in front of him, Griff won't get many targets, or fantasy opportunity. The problem for Duron Carter is that Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown are keeping him off the team.

Was Indy the easiest rotation to crack? No. Could he have made the Panthers or Browns? Maybe. But how can anyone claim a guy has any upside when the thinking has to be, "Man, I hope he goes to the worst group of WRs in the league, so he can maybe get a job..."

It's really dangerous to not step back and re-evaluate these guys. Carter may not have cost you a lot, but he's costing you a roster spot every day. Every team has a young guy that made the team, kind of out of nowhere, and you could have one of those guys on your team.

He needs to be treated like any other UDFA flyer you took, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. You give him a chance to flash, and if he doesn't, you look around for the next sleeper.
This is the exact attitude I had toward my end of the bench roster stash Charles Johnson in a few leagues. I cut him after he was released by the Browns and moved on. I regret it
A fine example of long term patience paying off with 31 catches, 475 yards, and two TDs. I joke, but I like Johnson, and think he can be a fantasy starter this season. And he may be worth holding onto for two years, to maybe get solid WR3 numbers this year.

Carter is 24 years old, has been out of school for 2 years, not one as I thought. TWO YEARS. And was just cut in favor of Griff Whalen.

How long do you hang on?

What if he winds up on the Colts PS? Or the Cowboys PS? Or the Eagles? (OMG, what would this guy do in a Chip Kelly offense? WR1 upside!)

I think it's time to move on from him unfortunately.

The Colts have good shifty, sure-handed receivers in Hilton and Dorsett and they STILL kept Whalen over him. That says a lot. GMs also talk - there's got to be a reason why he cleared waivers.

Also, I don't think the comparison to Charles Johnson is fair. CJ was hurt as hell with the Browns which was why he didn't perform well. Carter has no such excuse.

Never understood why this kid signed with Indy. They were too damn deep at WR. That was clear to everyone and it should have been crystal clear to him and his father as well. Why he didn't sign with Minnesota was beyond ignorant.
Maybe he and those close to him felt that he could benefit learning from a group of strong professional WRs rather than being lumped in with a bunch of crap?

Pretty obvious he's a ways away from a NFL regular roster. Recognizing that is actually pretty smart.

Never understood why this kid signed with Indy. They were too damn deep at WR. That was clear to everyone and it should have been crystal clear to him and his father as well. Why he didn't sign with Minnesota was beyond ignorant.
They weren't that deep when he signed with them though. They signed Johnson and drafted Dorsett after that. When he signed, he had a chance to be the #3 WR there.

Maybe he and those close to him felt that he could benefit learning from a group of strong professional WRs rather than being lumped in with a bunch of crap?Pretty obvious he's a ways away from a NFL regular roster. Recognizing that is actually pretty smart.
I don't believe this for a second. Carter would have been a darling at Viking camp on name recognition alone. The fact that there was a bunch of crap at WR in Minnesota should have been his ticket to shine and be given an opportunity *cough* Stefon Diggs *cough*.

Secondly, you're only saying that "it is pretty obvious that he's a ways away from an NFL talent" because Carter failed to impress during training camp, while give little to no chance to succeed behind such a deep and talented WR corps. When he was choosing a team (it was down to Minnesota and Indy) no one knew if he was going to make it or not, you included. Carter, and those around him, should have known that his best place to shine is the location that he would have been given the biggest chance. That was Minnesota.

Seems to me that Duron and his crew over-played their hand and thought he was better than he was. So they chose Indy probably solely because Andrew Luck was throwing the ball. What they forgot about is that Luck is only going to be throwing him the ball if he makes the roster and cracking that Indy roster was practically an impossible task.
You can choose to believe whatever version you prefer. That's he's allegedly so incredibly athletically gifted but he can't crack the top 53 indicates to me that he doesn't know how to play the position proficiently. He wouldn't be the first player to fall into this scenario and he sure won't be the last.

ETA - every other team in the NFL felt the same way. MIN among others had a shot to grab him and he cleared waivers. Nobody felt he belonged on a regular NFL roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronco Billy said:
Wooters said:
Bronco Billy said:
Wooters said:
Maybe he and those close to him felt that he could benefit learning from a group of strong professional WRs rather than being lumped in with a bunch of crap?Pretty obvious he's a ways away from a NFL regular roster. Recognizing that is actually pretty smart.
I don't believe this for a second. Carter would have been a darling at Viking camp on name recognition alone. The fact that there was a bunch of crap at WR in Minnesota should have been his ticket to shine and be given an opportunity *cough* Stefon Diggs *cough*.

Secondly, you're only saying that "it is pretty obvious that he's a ways away from an NFL talent" because Carter failed to impress during training camp, while give little to no chance to succeed behind such a deep and talented WR corps. When he was choosing a team (it was down to Minnesota and Indy) no one knew if he was going to make it or not, you included. Carter, and those around him, should have known that his best place to shine is the location that he would have been given the biggest chance. That was Minnesota.

Seems to me that Duron and his crew over-played their hand and thought he was better than he was. So they chose Indy probably solely because Andrew Luck was throwing the ball. What they forgot about is that Luck is only going to be throwing him the ball if he makes the roster and cracking that Indy roster was practically an impossible task.
You can choose to believe whatever version you prefer. That's he's allegedly so incredibly athletically gifted but he can't crack the top 53 indicates to me that he doesn't know how to play the position proficiently. He wouldn't be the first player to fall into this scenario and he sure won't be the last.

ETA - every other team in the NFL felt the same way. MIN among others had a shot to grab him and he cleared waivers. Nobody felt he belonged on a regular NFL roster.
How often do non-vets get picked up via waivers? Would anyone pick him up for n waivers when they don't know him fully and they already have enough issues cutting their roster down?

Don't know if it's a real hit that a rookie clears waivers?

Bronco Billy said:
Wooters said:
Bronco Billy said:
Wooters said:

How often do non-vets get picked up via waivers? Would anyone pick him up for n waivers when they don't know him fully and they already have enough issues cutting their roster down?Don't know if it's a real hit that a rookie clears waivers?
You sure do present a conveniently moving target. Which is it? That he should have signed with MIN because they have a load of crap at WR or MIN wouldn't pick him up on waivers because they couldn't find room in their WR corps for him?

The Vikings were willing to bring Duron Carter into training camp. But it wasn't very likely he would make the final roster. He opted to sign with the Colts instead.

The Vikings have 6 WR right now and only want to have 5 of them active so I am not seeing how Carter would have made the team if he had signed with the Vikings.

Rotoworld:

Free agent WR Duron Carter has returned to the CFL.

The 2013 undrafted free agent is resuming his Montreal Alouettes career. Going on 25, it's looking more and more likely that Cris Carter's son will never play an NFL snap.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Donnybrook said:
You better check if Soulfly or msudaisy is in your league first.  You still might be able to get a 3rd round rookie for him.  
Better drop him, I will use most of my blind bid dollars to get him!

cstu said:
Not defending him but the coach was on the field.
No, you are defending him.  Maybe he should have celebrated with his own team rather than go directly to the opponent's sideline...  That always ends well.

Never understood the hype here given the track record.  The only thing he ever had going for him was pedigree.

No, you are defending him.  Maybe he should have celebrated with his own team rather than go directly to the opponent's sideline...  That always ends well.

Never understood the hype here given the track record.  The only thing he ever had going for him was pedigree.
I thought he hit his own coach the first time I saw this - had to re-check to see that yes, the uniforms are (a little) different. But my first thought was he went to his own sideline to celebrate, like every player ever.  

Users who are viewing this thread