What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ditka won't pull for a Bears victory? (1 Viewer)

ericttspikes

Footballguy
I've heard him say it will be a "tie" in a television interview before today, now this morning on Chicago radio he refused over and over to pick the Bears to win. He even refused to say he would root for them to win. What the F is that?

I get that he was the Saints coach. But come on, he never played for the Saints, he went on record saying N.O. was a dirty town, made an awful draft day trade to get Ricky and didn't do squat there. I don't get it. Is he that afraid of people not going to his crappy restaurant in N.O. if he roots for the Bears? This guy is/was the face of the Bears for years. I don't get it at all, if anybody has license to be a homer it is this guy.

Lost a lot of respect for him. I guess he is Dat Coach now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard him say it will be a "tie" in a television interview before today, now this morning on Chicago radio he refused over and over to pick the Bears to win. He even refused to say he would root for them to win. What the F is that? I get that he was the Saints coach. But come on, he never played for the Saints, he went on record saying N.O. was a dirty town, made an awful draft day trade to get Ricky and didn't do squat there. I don't get it. Is he that afraid of people not going to his crappy restaurant in N.O. if he roots for the Bears? This guy is/was the face of the Bears for years. I don't get it at all, if anybody has license to be a homer it is this guy.Lost a lot of respect for him. I guess he is Dat Coach now.
I guess you didn't see Ditka fawning all over Grossman right after the Arizona game on ESPN. He's every bit a Chicago homer put perhaps Ditka is trying, for a brief moment, to look like a member of the media rather then a "Rah! Rah!" fan.IMO, there are a lot of things not to like about Ditka, but ripping on him because he wouldn't say on one particular interview that he would root for the Bears is reaching.

I've heard him say it will be a "tie" in a television interview before today, now this morning on Chicago radio he refused over and over to pick the Bears to win. He even refused to say he would root for them to win. What the F is that? I get that he was the Saints coach. But come on, he never played for the Saints, he went on record saying N.O. was a dirty town, made an awful draft day trade to get Ricky and didn't do squat there. I don't get it. Is he that afraid of people not going to his crappy restaurant in N.O. if he roots for the Bears? This guy is/was the face of the Bears for years. I don't get it at all, if anybody has license to be a homer it is this guy.Lost a lot of respect for him. I guess he is Dat Coach now.
I guess you didn't see Ditka fawning all over Grossman right after the Arizona game on ESPN. He's every bit a Chicago homer put perhaps Ditka is trying, for a brief moment, to look like a member of the media rather then a "Rah! Rah!" fan.IMO, there are a lot of things not to like about Ditka, but ripping on him because he wouldn't say on one particular interview that he would root for the Bears is reaching.
Guess you don't live in Chicago.

Bill Swerski: Good afternoon, my friends, and welcome to "Bill Swerski's Super Fans"! I'm Bill Swerski, and with me, as always, are the Super Fans. Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game? Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants? Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap. Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game. Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14. Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too? Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown. Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7. Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka. Bill Swerski: Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Bears, they don't make it, the plane is delayed.. and the only one who shows up is Ditka. Ditka vs. Da Giants. Okay, score, gentlemen. Pat Arnold: Alright, after da heart attack, I gotta say Ditka 17, Giants 14. He just barely gets by. Bill Swerski: Alright, that sounds exciting. Perhaps, you know, a late Ditka field goal.

Bill Swerski: Good afternoon, my friends, and welcome to "Bill Swerski's Super Fans"! I'm Bill Swerski, and with me, as always, are the Super Fans. Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game? Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants? Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap. Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game. Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14. Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too? Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown. Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7. Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka. Bill Swerski: Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Bears, they don't make it, the plane is delayed.. and the only one who shows up is Ditka. Ditka vs. Da Giants. Okay, score, gentlemen. Pat Arnold: Alright, after da heart attack, I gotta say Ditka 17, Giants 14. He just barely gets by. Bill Swerski: Alright, that sounds exciting. Perhaps, you know, a late Ditka field goal.
:thumbup:

My guess would be is that he really would like the Bears team to win, but is rooting for the city of New Orleans.

LAUNCH

I was listening to the interview, and as a lifelong Bears' fan, Ditka's response was truly disappointing.

I was listening to the interview, and as a lifelong Bears' fan, Ditka's response was truly disappointing.
Here is a guy who has relished and profited from being the face of the Bears and he can't publicly get on board? The Bears have a shot to go to the Super Bowl for the first time in 21 years and he isn't publicly behind them? It really is mind blowing for a Chicago fan. If a post Vince Packers team played the Redskins for a NFC championship and Lombardi didn't care who won, how would that sit with Packer fans?Ditka said he would be happy if the Bears won and he'd be happy if the Saints won. That is lame.

I don't know who he's rooting for, but maybe, just maybe, he thinks the Saints are gonna win???

I am a huge Saints fan and I can understand why the Chicago homers would be upset with him not pulling for the Bears.

I look at it this way:

Yes he is one of the faces of the Bears and I respect him for not choosing sides. The one thing I hate the most is when these former players or coaches talk about their old teams and make them out to be the best team ever and they can do no wrong. I think Ditka is pretty bias and like to hear what he has to say. He does not act like Irvin, Jackson, or Jaws.

Good luck to all of you Bear fans.

As being a Saints fan it has been hard to watch them at times and I hope they can go up there in Chicago to win the game.

He's probably just fallen into the media illusion that "America is pulling for the Saints and if you don't root for them you're a bad person" which is garbage. Hey, if you want the Bears to win, then cheer for them. This whole Saints as "America's team" this year is just a media illusion, there's really not all these tons and tons of people rooting for them, at least not from what people have told me in real life.

I'll be a neutral viewer of the game, but I'll be cheering for Chicago. They're overdue for another Super Bowl appearence for such a proud franchise.

He's probably just fallen into the media illusion that "America is pulling for the Saints and if you don't root for them you're a bad person" which is garbage. Hey, if you want the Bears to win, then cheer for them. This whole Saints as "America's team" this year is just a media illusion, there's really not all these tons and tons of people rooting for them, at least not from what people have told me in real life. I'll be a neutral viewer of the game, but I'll be cheering for Chicago. They're overdue for another Super Bowl appearence for such a proud franchise.
Root for whomever you want, but the Saints are overdue as well. Far more so than the Bears.

I hope the ghost of Walter Payton pays Da Coach a visit.

He's probably just fallen into the media illusion that "America is pulling for the Saints and if you don't root for them you're a bad person" which is garbage. Hey, if you want the Bears to win, then cheer for them. This whole Saints as "America's team" this year is just a media illusion, there's really not all these tons and tons of people rooting for them, at least not from what people have told me in real life. I'll be a neutral viewer of the game, but I'll be cheering for Chicago. They're overdue for another Super Bowl appearence for such a proud franchise.
Root for whomever you want, but the Saints are overdue as well. Far more so than the Bears.
How can the Saints be overdue? They really haven't done anything in their existence... it's like saying the Cardinals are overdue. The Bears have always been a very proud franchise going way back to Halas. The Bears are overdue, but the Saints really have never done enough to prove that they've ever been "due" in the first place.

How can the Saints be overdue? They really haven't done anything in their existence... it's like saying the Cardinals are overdue. The Bears have always been a very proud franchise going way back to Halas. The Bears are overdue, but the Saints really have never done enough to prove that they've ever been "due" in the first place.
Very true, which is why I think there will be more of a neutral fan base for the Saints. from 3-13 to a possible SB. Congrats on the Bears for a great season, it should be a great game. I think Ditka won't say anything because he doesn't want to be against the media hype. Media is his job after all, but during the pregame last week ditka picked the Saints to win, but not because of the reason the other idiots were saying. He said that the Saints will win because of their players and not because of the fans cheering in attendance. I'm sure emotion has something to do with it, but it's not as big a part of the game as Irvin and company were making it.

So what your saying is that because we've always sucked, we should go away and continue to suck? Newsflash, the Bears have been about as pathetic as the Saints have since the Super Bowl Shuffle team. Before last weekend, the Bears hadn't won a playoff game in almost 15 years. The Saints won a playoff game in 2000. The Bears have a proud tradition and history, but it's not recent history. I think Coach Payton, Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, and Reggie Bush are gonna pass on just going away. Sorry.

It might have something to do with his grudge with the McCaskey's. I mean he did get fired by the organization <_<

He needs to sew half of a bears and saints jersey and hat together, and go to the geographical center of the distance between both places (tenessee or something?) and set up a tee pee and remain completely neutral.

You're up the right creek, or is it crick down in NO? Ditka works for ESPN, ESPN is painting the Saints as the hero and the Bears as the heel this week. Ditka does what he is told.

Maybe he is not picking sides because he wants to keep what little veneration he has left as an analyst.

Here is a guy who has relished and profited from being the face of the Bears and he can't publicly get on board? The Bears have a shot to go to the Super Bowl for the first time in 21 years and he isn't publicly behind them? It really is mind blowing for a Chicago fan. If a post Vince Packers team played the Redskins for a NFC championship and Lombardi didn't care who won, how would that sit with Packer fans?Ditka said he would be happy if the Bears won and he'd be happy if the Saints won. That is lame.
In the renovation of Soldier Field, didn't they do a Mt Rushmore type structure with the faces carved or painted of former Bears greats, and left Ditka out? I remember some kind of issue with that a few years ago but can't recall the details. If true, and he was snubbed by them, then maybe he's a little justified in not "getting on board".

He did say that if the Saints won that he'd be "happy", and if the Bears won he'd be "elated".

I agree with most here - he's pulling for the Bears, he's just being very discreet about it due to his current profession.

Totally agree. I'm equally dissappointed in this. Ditka is a legend to us Bears fans. :shrug:

Ditka was fired by both owners. I don't blame him.

Plus the McCaskeys treat him like a leper. They have a statue within Soldier Field that honors their legendary players over their history and Ditka isn't mentioned once. Plus they still haven't retired his jersey number.

I don't blame the guy.

However... the past is for cowards and losers... and for harboring vendettas - as evidenced by Da Coach.

Plus the McCaskeys treat him like a leper. They have a statue within Soldier Field that honors their legendary players over their history and Ditka isn't mentioned once. Plus they still haven't retired his jersey number.

I don't blame the guy.

However... the past is for cowards and losers... and for harboring vendettas - as evidenced by Da Coach.
He said he would not root for either team because they both fired him today on PTI. He also said something about them not wanting him around anymore.

Ditka was fired by both owners. I don't blame him.Plus the McCaskeys treat him like a leper. They have a statue within Soldier Field that honors their legendary players over their history and Ditka isn't mentioned once. Plus they still haven't retired his jersey number.I don't blame the guy.However... the past is for cowards and losers... and for harboring vendettas - as evidenced by Da Coach.
Gotcha

I don't blame the guy.

He said he would not root for either team because they both fired him today on PTI. He also said something about them not wanting him around anymore.
Really? Wow. That's unfortunate. It would be so nice if Ditka and the Bears would patch it up. I mean he's one of the faces of the franchise. There are not many other coaches in NFL history that are so identifiable with a specific team like Ditka is with the Bears. Call me sentimental but that bothers me. When they showed all of the 85 Bears stuff before the Cardinals game this season, I got all warm and fuzzy inside. It was awesome.

He needs to sew half of a bears and saints jersey and hat together, and go to the geographical center of the distance between both places (tenessee or something?) and set up a tee pee and remain completely neutral.
I seriously disagree. He should be at the game and continuously shown and interviewed about how he feels about the game and his relationship to Urlacher and Brees.

Ditka was also VERY critical of Tagliabue and all the owners of the NFL - and how they don't do more for all the 'old time NFL players' that MADE the league before there was a players union.

There are many of them that are crippled, living in nursing homes, etc. and they get very little (if anything) from the NFL.

Ditka, never one to back away from a charity event - puts his money where his mouth is too - it's not all lip service - every year he hosts a golf outing and memorabilia show with most of the proceeds going to old time players.

Click on the Podcast here (from Jan 17th):

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/espnrad...l?id=srpodcasts

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
Ditka was also VERY critical of Tagliabue and all the owners of the NFL - and how they don't do more for all the 'old time NFL players' that MADE the league before there was a players union.

There are many of them that are crippled, living in nursing homes, etc. and they get very little (if anything) from the NFL.

Ditka, never one to back away from a charity event - puts his money where his mouth is too - it's not all lip service - every year he hosts a golf outing and memorabilia show with most of the proceeds going to old time players.

Click on the Podcast here (from Jan 17th):

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/espnrad...l?id=srpodcasts
:lmao:

I think that Ditka is letting that owner (and the league he still makes money off of) get in the way of the fact that the Bear fans still are on his side, it would be nice of him to root for the Bears just for his fans.

In this case, I can definitely understand why Ditka has resentment towards the Bears or at least the McCaskeys. It's too bad for the fans since he is so popular, but why do the McCaskeys hate Ditka so much they would do something like this?

In this case, I can definitely understand why Ditka has resentment towards the Bears or at least the McCaskeys. It's too bad for the fans since he is so popular, but why do the McCaskeys hate Ditka so much they would do something like this?
Chicago fans hate the McCaskey's and consider Ditka one of their own. Doesn't make sense to alienate the fans. As far as bad blood for being fired, he had 11 years. That is a lifetime in the NFL. It was time for a change. Ditka embraces that 85 Super Bowl when it can make him money. He wouldn't even be a commentator today if not for his Bears ring. He still lives in Chicago, I don't get not having a rooting interest in this game from that perspective alone. Lame.Also, love this quote about Ditka "In 1997, he returned to coach the New Orleans Saints, which he refers to as the 'three worst years' of his life." GO SAINTS

Chicago fans hate the McCaskey's and consider Ditka one of their own. Doesn't make sense to alienate the fans. As far as bad blood for being fired, he had 11 years. That is a lifetime in the NFL. It was time for a change. Ditka embraces that 85 Super Bowl when it can make him money. He wouldn't even be a commentator today if not for his Bears ring. He still lives in Chicago, I don't get not having a rooting interest in this game from that perspective alone. Lame.Also, love this quote about Ditka "In 1997, he returned to coach the New Orleans Saints, which he refers to as the 'three worst years' of his life." GO SAINTS
This doesn't answer my question.

My guess is he has former Saints players and former Chicago players riding him about who he thinks will win and who he is rooting for.

He cares for both sets of players.

It would be like a father picking one son over the other. He isn't going to choose. And I would bet he could care less about what anybody else thinks about it.

:hot:

ETA Dikta and Michael McCaskey will never get along. Leave it there. Ditka probably hold some resentment for the way he was treated also when he was fired.

This doesn't answer my question.
I have no idea. You'd have to ask them. My point is the McCaskey's have confounded Bears fans with poor judgement and unpopular decisions since they took over from Papa Bear. Papa Bear hired Ditka, not the McCaskey's. The team is his legacy not theirs.

Also, love this quote about Ditka "In 1997, he returned to coach the New Orleans Saints, which he refers to as the 'three worst years' of his life." GO SAINTS
It wasn't a great time for us either, fortunately Haslett ( :thumbup: ;) came along and took a 3-13 Ditka team to the playoffs the next year--even after Ditka blew two drafts on Ricky Williams.

Q: Who would win a game between Mike Ditka, and this current New Orleans Saints team?

I say Mike Ditka wins, 21-17. Ditka sacks Brees on 3rd down and recovers the fumble, then kneels down to run out the clock.

Q: Who would win a game between Mike Ditka, and this current New Orleans Saints team?I say Mike Ditka wins, 21-17. Ditka sacks Brees on 3rd down and recovers the fumble, then kneels down to run out the clock.
Important question: Is that Full Grown Ditka or Mini-Ditka?

Leroy Hoard said:
SuperJohn96 said:
Q: Who would win a game between Mike Ditka, and this current New Orleans Saints team?I say Mike Ditka wins, 21-17. Ditka sacks Brees on 3rd down and recovers the fumble, then kneels down to run out the clock.
Important question: Is that Full Grown Ditka or Mini-Ditka?
Since he takes cialis i think it is full grown ditka.

Anyone who let's their emotional well being hinge on who someone else roots for has issues...

Just one man's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread