What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dennis Pitta (1 Viewer)

I pointed this out before but most of Pitta's use vs MIN came at the very end of the game when BAL was trying to score.

I could see NE being that kind of game, but then they just shut down Clay after his having had two big games, so not loving the matchup at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
A stat from Matt Berry:

Dennis Pitta has a nice matchup as the Patriots have been among the top three in most fantasy points to opposing tight ends the past five weeks.
http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/TMR131219/matthew-berry-players-loves-hates-week-16-fantasy-football-rankings

5 weeks ago Olsen went 5/52/01, 4 weeks ago Tamme went 5/47/1, two weeks ago Cameron went 9/9/121/1.

Last week three Phins TEs went 6/4/31/0.

3 weeks ago GGraham went 11/3/36/0.

Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta became a relative afterthought in the passing game Monday night, a situation triggered by how the Detroit Lions devoted defensive resources to contain him.

Pitta was only targeted four times and caught two passes for 24 yards during an 18-16 win over the Lions where he wasn’t utilized in the red zone. It was one week after Pitta caught a key touchdown pass against the Minnesota Vikings in his first game back after being activated from the injured reserve-designated to return list.

Now, Pitta is hoping to get more involved Sunday against the New England Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium in his third game of the season.

“I think it was just kind of how the flow of the game was; I didn’t get many opportunities on the field,” Pitta said. “It’s part of what we’re doing and taking it slow and not overloading my reps. Part of that game when I was out there, we saw some bracket coverage, things where opportunities are going to be minimal in those situations. We’ll see new things out of New England that they haven’t shown before and we’ll have to kind of work on the fly.”

A major part of Pitta’s adjustment since recuperating from surgery on a fractured, dislocated right hip suffered during training camp is regaining his stamina and timing. That remains a work in progress.

“It’s always tough jumping into the season this late because everybody is in midseason form and I’m trying to play catch-up,” said Pitta, who has eight receptions for 72 yards and a touchdown in two games. “I’m still trying to get my strength back 100 percent in my legs. It’s getting more comfortable and I do feel progress every week.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-dennis-pitta-hoping-to-get-more-involved-after-quiet-game-in-detroit-20131219,0,868298.story#ixzz2o7bNhCvg

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun suggests the Ravens could use the franchise tag on impending free agent Dennis Pitta.
GM Ozzie Newsome made it clear on Wednesday that re-signing Pitta will be a top priority this offseason. And Pitta, who is best friends with Joe Flacco, has made it known that his preference is to return to Baltimore. But if the two sides can't reach an agreement by the time free agency opens in March, using the approximate $6.7 million tag for tight ends could buy some time. The offense desperately missed Pitta's crisp, intermediate skill set this season as he sat out the first 12 games due to a hip dislocation. He would've easily led the Ravens in catches if he had stayed healthy.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Rotoworld:

New Ravens OC Gary Kubiak told reporters at his introductory press conference that he expects free agent Dennis Pitta to "be a big part of the offense" in 2014.

In other words, Kubiak and GM Ozzie Newsome discussed Pitta's status before Kubiak was hired, and Newsome likely assured him Pitta would be re-signed. Pitta's loss proved a crushing blow to Baltimore's 2013 offense, which couldn't sustain drives with a pathetic run game and only deep threat receivers outside. Now healthy, Pitta will have a chance to lead the 2014 Ravens in catches.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

New Ravens OC Gary Kubiak said he was "very impressed" with free agent Dennis Pitta when studying him.

We're fully expecting the Ravens to retain Pitta and use him in a massive role in their new offensive scheme. "I know he went through a tough year this year with getting injured, but that position has always been a big part of our offense," Kubiak said. "I'm sure it won't be any different." Kubiak has previously made fantasy studs out of Shannon Sharpe and Owen Daniels. He even turned replacement-level talent Garrett Graham into a weekly TE1 this season. Pitta, a perfect intermediate complement to Torrey Smith, is a buy in Dynasty formats.

The hype on Pitta that already exists going into this year, will negate any "value" by the time the season rolls around. I am not saying that he won't perform as a top 5-6 TE, but come summer, you are going to need to pay that price to get him. He went roughly TE#12 in the WSL draft I am in, and I could easily see him moving up a slot per month as the year rolls on.

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun suggests free agent Dennis Pitta could argue he's a wide receiver if franchise tagged as a tight end by the Ravens.
Per Pro Football Focus, Pitta ran 79.7 percent of his 2013 pass routes in the slot, the highest percentage in the league. The tight end tag is worth $6.7 million, while the receiver tag is $11.5 million. The two-week window for teams to slap franchise tags begins on Monday. In an ideal world, the Ravens could avoid this potential dispute by signing Pitta long term. A source tells the Sun, however, that the sides "haven't made substantial progress in contract talks."

Rotoworld:

A source predicted to the Baltimore Sun that the Ravens will franchise tag free agent Dennis Pitta if the sides don't reach a long-term contract agreement before the March 3 deadline.
March 3 is the deadline for teams to apply franchise and transition tags. The Ravens aren't going to let Pitta walk, and will tag him if that's what it comes to. The Sun reported earlier this week that the sides are "far apart" in contract talks. The tight end tag is worth a reasonable $6.709 million, but Pitta is expected to file a grievance if tagged, arguing he's a wide receiver.

Rotoworld:

Ravens HC John Harbaugh said he was "very optimistic" Baltimore will keep hold of free agent TE Dennis Pitta.
Reports suggest the Ravens will franchise tag Pitta if a deal cannot be reached by March 3, but Harbaugh said, "The franchise tag is very vague right now, so anything could happen." The vagueness stems from Pitta's position designation. The tight end tag would only cost Baltimore $6.709 million, but Pitta could file a grievance to be considered a wide receiver. If Pitta wins that grievance, his tag number would jump to $11.5 million. The uncertainty makes tagging Pitta a risky move for Baltimore.

Source: Carroll County Times

Rotoworld:

Sources tell the Baltimore Sun that the Ravens have made free agent Dennis Pitta a major negotiating priority.

Beat writer Aaron Wilson says the Ravens are "urgently" trying to lock up their pass-catching tight end. If the two sides can't work out a deal by March 3, he's fully expected to get the franchise tag despite the impending issues regarding tight end vs. wide receiver status. Pitta is a strong bet to be back with the Ravens as a core piece of new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak's offense.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Dennis Pitta and the Ravens are "making progress" on a long-term agreement, but that there's "nothing imminent."

The Baltimore Sun reported earlier Monday that the Ravens are "urgently" trying to get Pitta locked up before the March 3 franchise-tag deadline. Pitta is clearly GM Ozzie Newsome's top in-house priority, and for good reason. Joe Flacco had embarrassingly few targets to throw to while Pitta was sidelined with a hip injury last season. One way or another, he'll be back with the Ravens in 2014.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Probably no better player to draft on the Ravens than Dennis Pitta!

You know he is going to be one of their MAIN targets (potentially their #1 target, especially goal line.)
Joe Flacco's BEST FRIEND, and also a VERY talented TE (Who claims to be a WR! Just what I like to see!)

Torrey Smith is a GREAT compliment, with pure speed, going long!! Pitta will handle the short passes/goal line plays (I hope lol)

Ill take a solid 4-8 catch games with 50 yards even, as long as he is consistent...!
8-10 point FLOOR is just fine with me.

Im pretty sure he will outperform that guesstimate almost weekly

Probably no better player to draft on the Ravens than Dennis Pitta!

You know he is going to be one of their MAIN targets (potentially their #1 target, especially goal line.)

Joe Flacco's BEST FRIEND, and also a VERY talented TE (Who claims to be a WR! Just what I like to see!)

Torrey Smith is a GREAT compliment, with pure speed, going long!! Pitta will handle the short passes/goal line plays (I hope lol)

Ill take a solid 4-8 catch games with 50 yards even, as long as he is consistent...!

8-10 point FLOOR is just fine with me.

Im pretty sure he will outperform that guesstimate almost weekly
Brewtown, is that you?

@MikeGarafolo 5 years, $32 million for Dennis Pitta from the Ravens.
Rotoworld take:

Ravens re-signed TE Dennis Pitta to a five-year, $32 million contract.
The $6.4 million annual average puts Pitta in the top nine at his position, so this looks like a reasonable deal for both sides. Early last week, the Ravens and Pitta were reported to be "far apart." With Pitta locked up, GM Ozzie Newsome can now work on Eugene Monroe. Entering new OC Gary Kubiak's "tight end whisperer" offense, Pitta is a candidate for a major 2014 breakout. He's a more spry version of Owen Daniels. Turning 29 in March, Pitta should provide Baltimore with 2-3 seasons of 75-plus receptions as Joe Flacco's go-to chain-moving target. Pitta plays nearly 80 percent of his snaps at slot receiver. He'll be a TE1 to target in 2014 PPR fantasy leagues.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta admits he lacked some explosiveness and strength after returning from a hip injury late last season, but feels he is getting close to 100 percent.
Pitta posted a 20-169-1 stat line in four games after returning from injury but unsurprisingly lacked some quickness just four months removed from hip surgery. Now healthy and with new OC Gary Kubiak in town, Pitta is a candidate for a major 2014 breakout. He is a clear TE1 in 2014 PPR fantasy leagues.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta admits he lacked some explosiveness and strength after returning from a hip injury late last season, but feels he is getting close to 100 percent.
Pitta posted a 20-169-1 stat line in four games after returning from injury but unsurprisingly lacked some quickness just four months removed from hip surgery. Now healthy and with new OC Gary Kubiak in town, Pitta is a candidate for a major 2014 breakout. He is a clear TE1 in 2014 PPR fantasy leagues.

He is?

Assuming he gets the explosiveness back he might be. Not a fan of extrapolating games into seasons but 80-676-4 would have made him TE11 in the 16 teamer ppr I play. I am guessing Roto expects him to improve on that and not get injured...

TE6 (I guess that is a clear TE1 in a FF 12 team league) had 52-850-13 (Vernon Davis). TE5 had 73-851-8 (Jason Witten)

This dude can play! He "IS" the clear cut #1 target in Baltimore. (Torrey Smiths speed/skillset is a PERFECT compliment to open up Pitta in the short-pass game. He is also a great red zone threat.) His and Flaccos chemistry is ON! (Always a plus, especially with Baltimore throwing all of their comfidence in Flacco for the future. I don't think he deserved his big QB contract, but he DID bring the city a Super Bowl win. Not to mention, but feel I have to... Ray Lewis'-era defense on the other end of the ball balanced the team as a whole...

I got Pitta AND Toilolo for James Jones to a team competing last year, needing a WR for playoffs! Couldn't be any happier with that move moving forward in my 20 team Dynasty League. (Been going on since I was 11 years old! 5 championships take the league, & my next championship will be my 4th...! 6,000 is now in the purse. 4th gets 50%, 5th 100%, League is OVER.

Rotoworld:

He is?
How do you define "TE1" then?

List your TE1's. You know you have to list more than like 4-5 of them right?

Rotoworld:

He is?
How do you define "TE1" then?

List your TE1's. You know you have to list more than like 4-5 of them right?
I don't plan on arguing back and forth on what a TE1 is. Nor do I have much interest to generate my own list of TE1s. That being said, here is why I don't buy that he's a clear TE1.

--He's been in the league 4 years now (yes, I know he was hurt last year)

--His BEST year, in 2012, he had a whopping 61/669/7, good for 170 pts in ppr (yes, I know he was hurt last year)

Color me unimpressed. There's been this love for Pitta and I just don't see it and certainly not based on the above. I mean, it's not a horrible season by any means, but it's certainly not anything extraordinary that would make me want to own the guy everywhere I could.

Aside from the usual suspects that should clearly outproduce him (Graham, Gronk, Vernon, Julius, Cameron, Witten, Olsen), all of whom have either EASILY bested Pitta's 2012 numbers or done it multiple times (and I didn't even include Gates who outproduced Pitta's career best LAST year when he scored 188), but here is a list of guys who have outproduced those totals in just the last 2 yrs:

Heath Miller

M. Bennett

Brandon Myers

Charles Clay

Owen Daniels

Hell, even Delanie Walker put up the same ppg numbers last year with 60/571/6 stat line. Then you've got guys like Jordan Reed (who was far outproducing Pitta's best year in ppg last year) and Rudolph (who just landed Chud).

In other words, I think Pitta has virtually no shot whatsoever to finish in the top 5 at his position. I certainly don't see him as a difference maker at the TE spot. Would I be surprised if he finished TE8-9 like he did in 2012 with a rather unimpressive 170 pts? Nope. But similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if he finished TE12-15 with a similarly unimpressive line as other guys outperform him.

Add in the fact that Pitta is 29 (older than the likes of Bennett, Myers, Clay), and I don't see him as a guy that's going to start significantly improving on what he's already done. Definitely not in a dynasty format. For whatever reason, Pitta gets lots of dynasty love when a guy like Clay, who is 4 yrs younger, has already outproduced Pitta's best year, but is an afterthought in TE rankings.

So yes, I know I have to list more than 4-5 of them. But after the first 4-5, it's mostly a jumbled mess and not nearly that important. If you want to label TE10 as a "TE1", go for it. Technically it is. But it's certainly not anything to fall in love with. And I don't see anything "clear' about him even landing there.

ETA--Notice I didn't even bother listing many speculative guys like Eifert, Ertz, L. Green, D. Allen, or any of the rookie TEs coming in. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if any of them outscored him this year as well.

Good posts, good points, but I would be shocked if Pitta doesnt finish in the top 12 for TE scoring.

He may not be a dynasty top 12 (though I think a lot think he is), but for 2014, to me, he is a pretty clear TE1. Low end, but a TE1.

Good posts, good points, but I would be shocked if Pitta doesnt finish in the top 12 for TE scoring.

He may not be a dynasty top 12 (though I think a lot think he is), but for 2014, to me, he is a pretty clear TE1. Low end, but a TE1.
And that's fine if you see it that way. If someone likes a certain player, they are more than entitled to that opinion. Maybe they see something on the field that I don't and that's good.

That said, while he could be a TE1, it's certainly not "pretty clear". Provided Gronk doesn't miss 2014 with his ACL (or something else), I think there are 7 guys that easily finish ahead of him (Graham, Gronk, Vernon, Thomas, Cameron, Witten, Olsen). If healthy, Jordan Reed should also pretty easily finish ahead of him as his #'s as a rookie were smoking anything Pitta's ever done.

That leaves 4 spots. And I think it's very possible (and likely, to me), that 4 of Bennett, Rudolph, Clay, Miller, Daniels, or Gates/L. Green, Fleener/Allen finish ahead of him. And I certainly don't see anything "shocking" about a year with Clay, Bennett, Miller, and Daniels finish ahead of Pitta considering they have ALL done better than Pitta's career year (and have done it in the last 2 years).

Either way, if it's TE9 or TE15, we're not looking at a big difference here in impact. I'm just not seeing the "clear TE1" and "major breakout in 2014". But, anything is possible.

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL9m

Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider3m

Obviously, the Ravens will evaluate merits of Owen Daniels given his background with Gary Kubiak.
Owen Daniels coming to Baltimore?

A dislocated hip doesn't sound like something you come back from and perform at a world class level again. Am I wrong? Anyone know much about hip dislocations and athletes?

A dislocated hip doesn't sound like something you come back from and perform at a world class level again. Am I wrong? Anyone know much about hip dislocations and athletes?
from what I know about them it depends if there is any damage outside of the hip bone. A lot of time there isn't so short term, non issue. He may have issues when he is older, but that's his problem, not ours. If there are issues with cartiledge,tendons, etc. then things can get dicey.

Dennis Pitta - TE - Ravens

Dennis Pitta anticipates playing a major role in new OC Gary Kubiak's passing attack.

Pitta should be the 1A to Torrey Smith's 1B, just like Owen Daniels was for Andre Johnson in Kubiak's Houston offenses. "The system is set up for receivers to have big years and for tight ends to catch a lot of footballs," stated Pitta. "Owen has proven that over the years." Added Daniels, who's now a Raven: "We will [catch a lot of balls]. Thats just the way this offense is built."

Ravens plan to use Pitta all over formation

Dennis Pitta is expected to be used all over the field in new OC Gary Kubiak's system.
"I have done a lot of different things in this offense already," Pitta said during minicamp. "I would assume that would continue to increase. ... Hopefully, I can get in a position where I can play a variety of positions." Per reporter Aaron Wilson, Pitta will occasionally split out as an extra receiver, and could even take snaps out of the backfield. A two-tight end maestro, Kubiak can be trusted to get Pitta oodles of targets despite the presence of Owen Daniels. Pitta is in strong position to bounce back from his lost 2013.
Jul 9 - 8:06 AM

Got to wonder if this might be it for him. He got paid this offseason so he should be set (financially) for life.

The Baltimore Sun reports Dennis Pitta had his dislocated hip "popped back in" after being sedated on Sunday evening, and is expected to undergo surgery.
Pitta also has a fracture. Underscoring the severity of the situation, Pitta has remained in Cleveland. There hasn't been official word, but Pitta is almost certainly done for the season, leaving Owen Daniels as the Ravens' starting tight end. If you're already in a bye-week crunch, Pitta can be safely dropped. Hopefully his career isn't in danger, but it's a possibility.
Related: Owen Daniels

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta underwent surgery to repair his dislocated right hip on Monday and is done for the season.

The Ravens will now turn to Owen Daniels as their primary tight end. They also drafted Crockett Gillmore with a top-100 pick in May. Pitta, 29, has now suffered right hip dislocations in back-to-back years. The Ravens signed him to a five-year, $32.5 million contract in February, one GM Ozzie Newsome will likely come to regret. All of Pitta's 2015 base salary ($4 million) is guaranteed. It's unclear whether Pitta intends to continue trying to play.

Sep 22 - 5:08 PM

The only thing stopping me from dropping him in a 12 team 26 player dynasty league is that rosters are locked until after Monday night.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta's hip surgery was deemed "successful" on Monday.

We're not quite sure if we've ever heard of an "unsuccessful" surgery, but it's worth noting nonetheless. Doctors are calling it "way too early" to determine Pitta's football future. He faces a long road back that will be filled with plenty of rehab and recovery. Pitta, 29, can't be counted on for 2015 contributions.

Sep 23 - 10:14 PM

Same hip, busted, done. Sucks cause he is a good player.

BUt I wouldnt give anything for him in any league, let alone us a roster spot (unless of course the deepest of rosters)

BUt I wouldnt give anything for him in any league, let alone us a roster spot (unless of course the deepest of rosters)
Sucks because he is so young and already had two issues with the same hip. Sad his career is in serious doubt.

Sucks because he is so young and already had two issues with the same hip. Sad his career is in serious doubt.
Actually he's not that young, relatively speaking, as he's already 29 years old. He came into the league very old at age 25.

Users who are viewing this thread