What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dennis Pitta (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (injured reserve, hip surgery) plans to resume his playing career in 2015.
Don't take down those Pitta posters just yet, Denny Carter. Coach John Harbaugh said Monday the Ravens anticipate Pitta making a "full recovery" from his second career hip dislocation and fracture, and the team expects Pitta back on next year's roster. "Dennis can play again," Harbaugh said. "Dennis has told me that he wants to play again." Pitta is owed a $4 million salary in 2015.

Source: ESPN.com
Dec 8 - 5:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (injured reserve, hip surgery) plans to resume his playing career in 2015.
Don't take down those Pitta posters just yet, Denny Carter. Coach John Harbaugh said Monday the Ravens anticipate Pitta making a "full recovery" from his second career hip dislocation and fracture, and the team expects Pitta back on next year's roster. "Dennis can play again," Harbaugh said. "Dennis has told me that he wants to play again." Pitta is owed a $4 million salary in 2015.

Source: ESPN.com
Dec 8 - 5:21 PM
"Dennis has told me that he wants to play again." Pitta is owed a $4 million salary in 2015.

Translation.

Dennis wants to play again BECAUSE he is due $4 MIL in 2015, and if he doesn't play again, he is due ZERO.

He gets $16 million guaranteed, unless he retires. He probably does want to try and play though. Nearly all of them do. Not many walk away because of potential future health problems.

$3M out of his $4M salary is guaranteed next year.

He's due $5M with $6.6M in dead money if he's cut in 2016 so 2015 may be his last year in Balt.

Does anyone think with two major injuries that he'll return to being a fantasy force?

With the landscape of TEs dropping sharply over the past few years, any dynasty pickups now could be valuable. Just don't think he's one of them at this point despite Steve Smith probably on his last legs himself and only Torrey Smith in the passing game (barring a high draft pick or free agency signing).

Does anyone think with two major injuries that he'll return to being a fantasy force?

With the landscape of TEs dropping sharply over the past few years, any dynasty pickups now could be valuable. Just don't think he's one of them at this point despite Steve Smith probably on his last legs himself and only Torrey Smith in the passing game (barring a high draft pick or free agency signing).
I don't know about being a fantasy force but he was heck of annoying in Hunger Games and had no chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence.

Return to being a fantasy force? When was that?

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (hip surgeries) has resumed running routes and catching passes in individual drills.

Coach John Harbaugh insists the team is "not counting (Pitta) out at all," but his progress remains incremental. He's expected to begin 2015 on the reserve/PUP list, which would cost him six games. There's currently no reason to believe Pitta will be a consideration in re-draft leagues this season.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Jun 4 - 4:16 PM

Rotoworld:

Ravens TE Dennis Pitta (hip) will begin the season on the reserve/PUP list, costing him six games.

It's not a surprise for a player whose career remains in doubt. The earliest Pitta can return is Week 7, but that's not realistic. In a best-case scenario, he could be ready following Baltimore's Week 9 bye. The odds seem stacked against Pitta playing this season.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter
Aug 18 - 2:49 PM

Any word on how it's going for him in practice? I know the odds are low that he returns to football, but hoping for the best.

The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec said Dennis Pitta (hip) "looks like he can be a significant contributor."
Pitta has not played in a game since September of 2014, but he practiced without limitations at OTAs and minicamp. Zrebiec reports Pitta "is moving well," and coach John Harbaugh said he "looks like the same player we've seen in the past." Pitta's hip will always be a ticking time bomb, but it looks like he is healthy right now. Even in a deep tight end corps, Pitta has the talent to contribute.

Source: Baltimore Sun 
Jun 20 - 11:19 AM

Ravens TE Dennis Pitta (hip surgeries) avoided the active/PUP list to begin training camp.
It's an indication that Pitta is indeed 100 percent or very close to it after appearing in just seven games since the end of the 2012 season. He'll be eligible to practice on Thursday. If Pitta is capable of becoming a contributor, the Ravens could field more two-tight end sets with him and Ben Watson on the field together. Maxx Williams and Crockett Gillmore would be the odd men out.

Jul 24 - 2:36 PM

Dennis Pitta suffered a sprained finger in a fight at training camp Monday night and is going to be out "a while."
Pitta got in a tussle with rookie LB Kamalei Correa. Pitta is obviously coming back from a pair of hip surgeries and was medically cleared for camp. But now this happens. Despite his past accomplishments, Pitta is fighting for a roster spot on a crowded tight end depth chart in Baltimore.

Aug 1 - 10:08 PM

Dennis Pitta - TE -  Ravens

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ravens TE Dennis Pitta (finger, questionable) will start Week 1 against the Bills.
It's not surprising that Pitta is playing, though the announcement that he'll start is a bit expected. Pitta was listed behind Crockett Gillmore and Maxx Williams on the Ravens' depth chart but appears to have leapfrogged both of them. If Pitta maintains that role, he could work his way into the TE2 discussion. With that said, Pitta has a lot to prove after missing almost two years due to various injuries.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Sep 11 - 8:17 AM

Been burned too many times by this guy to overreact, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on him. He was on the verge of making the leap before all the injuries started. 

Dennis Pitta played 56-of-68 snaps Week 1 against the Bills.
Pitta easily out-snapped both Crockett Gillmore (30) and sophomore Maxx Williams (9). He finished the day with just three catches for 39 yards, but Pitta should be in for bigger games if he continues to be used as the No. 1 tight end. He is an interesting streaming option this week against the Browns.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 
Sep 12 - 10:26 AM

Fantastic performance in week 2 with 9/102.   Yeah, it was the Browns but in a year when the suspected mid tier TEs aren't performing up to par are we willing to go with Pitta as a TE1?

Fantastic performance in week 2 with 9/102.   Yeah, it was the Browns but in a year when the suspected mid tier TEs aren't performing up to par are we willing to go with Pitta as a TE1?
I don't see why not.

He's a different case IMO than most other TEs that may breakout for a game; we already know that Flacco loves using him as a security blanket. They should be playing from behind a lot, and don't have any great WRs to hog all the targets. Hoping to get him in the league I have Fleener. And now that I think about it, the league I have Gronk as well.

Grabbed this guy on the waiver wire in my main league to play while Gronk is out.  Pretty happy with the result this week!

Flacco and Pitta have a telepathic connection. As long as Pitta is healthy I don't see how you can't view him as a TE1 ROS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very disappointing game for Pitta yesterday in what should have been a great matchup.  Only 5 targets when Flacco is slinging it 52 times.    Even more discouraging is Pitta's average yards per catch has gone down every game this season.   AVG from week one forward is 13, 11.3, 7, and a terrible 5.7 this week.  

Anyone catch the the game vs OAK have any insight?  Did they just take Pitta away via scheme?   Did he get nicked up?

Very disappointing game for Pitta yesterday in what should have been a great matchup.  Only 5 targets when Flacco is slinging it 52 times.    Even more discouraging is Pitta's average yards per catch has gone down every game this season.   AVG from week one forward is 13, 11.3, 7, and a terrible 5.7 this week.  

Anyone catch the the game vs OAK have any insight?  Did they just take Pitta away via scheme?   Did he get nicked up?
I watched some and don't recall seeing him get nicked up. What I noticed is that he was running a lot of really short routes.

Sources told NFL Network's Mike Garafolo the Ravens "may balk" at paying Dennis Pitta's $5.5 million salary.
The Baltimore Sun hinted at this after the season. Turning 32 in June, Pitta's 86 receptions led all NFL tight ends last year, but he averaged an anemic 6.02 yards per target and didn't have a positive impact on offense beyond catching short passes and immediately falling down. Pitta also wasn't a big part of the Ravens' red-zone passing game. In Maxx Williams and Darren Waller, Baltimore has younger tight ends with more potential, and could use salary cap relief.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

I hope for his sake he can finally step away from the game.  I can't imagine how much pain this guy is going to be in as he ages.

Good lord.  One fracture/dislocation of the hip could be a career ender.

3 times?  Damn.

Feel awful for the guy.  From everything I gather he's a helluva guy and teammate.

Obviously a tragic development for him, but he's a guy who really has his shyte together and will hopefully find a happy and rewarding life after (playing) football.

Unimportantly, he was my #1 TE target in drafts this year.

Users who are viewing this thread