What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dennis Pitta (3 Viewers)

there is no red flag boy can catch look at his week 1 td.. Hes not a Finley or Bennett with rock hands.. Hes like Jason Witten for Dallas not to fast not to slow n perfect hands and reliable
Relax, I was the one that posted the stat that he hasn't dropped a catchable ball in over a year - I know he has good hands. I was just playing both sides of the bandwagon and pointing out that 13 catches on 24 targets is a very poor rate of success. I was just curious to know why it's been so poor and am eager to see if it can be improved upon in the upcoming weeks.

Can anyone that has seen the Ravens first two games this season comment on how a guy that hasn't dropped a pass in over a season has only 13 catches on 24 targets? I get that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon and he's been very productive in terms of targets, but that is a pretty brutal catch/target percentage if you simply look at stats w/o having seen the games. Has Flacco been erratic, does Pitta have a very limited catch radius - what's the scoop here?
Flacco had a bad case of happy feet in the first game. He didn't look comfortable in the pocket all game and when he felt pressure he often just threw it at Pitta's feet.Didn't see the second game, but from what I heard it was similar, if not worse.

there is no red flag boy can catch look at his week 1 td.. Hes not a Finley or Bennett with rock hands.. Hes like Jason Witten for Dallas not to fast not to slow n perfect hands and reliable
Relax, I was the one that posted the stat that he hasn't dropped a catchable ball in over a year - I know he has good hands. I was just playing both sides of the bandwagon and pointing out that 13 catches on 24 targets is a very poor rate of success. I was just curious to know why it's been so poor and am eager to see if it can be improved upon in the upcoming weeks.
I don't think 56.5% catch percentage is that bad. Sure I would like to see above 60% particularly when career avg ypc is about 10. Meaning most of the routes are underneath and easier to catch. Pitta has shown limited RAC ability so far. So I question somewhat if he can produce against better defenses or defenses that commit more attention to him. Some defenders might be able to limit Pitta from meeting his catch percentage in games and that could lead to some clunkers when the targets also decline.I am pretty sure most teams will still worry more about Rice than Pitta. So far I would say Pitta has eaten into some targets that in past seasons may have gone to Rice. But Rice could still see those targets again if the defense commits more resources to stopping Pitta. At 10 yards a clip I still consider Rice a bigger threat to any defense than Pitta is, which means I think it is more likely that the targets stay pretty high for him as defenses pick Pitta as their poison.

Thoughts on him vs. Bennett? Both are available on the wire in my league
I'd take Bennett with Knicks out. There's still another TE in Baltimore and Bennett seems to be the only one in NY.
Also, Eli always forcefeeds his TEs to good effect more or less regardless of talent. Whereas if the Ravens have any sense, they'll ease up on this absurd Flacco-centric offense and start giving the ball to Rice more. I know Cam Cameron has a long history of unbelievable stupidity, but I don't like to bet on teams failing to see the obvious.
Off to a good start.

Hernandez-like rec... (Rotoworld) According to the Baltimore Sun, Ravens TE Dennis Pitta lined up as a wide receiver or slot receiver on more than two-thirds of his 51 Week 2 snaps. Analysis: Pitta didn't see a target on any of his 15 snaps as an in-line tight end. He did most of his fantasy damage out of the slot, where he was targeted on eight of 16 snaps. The Ravens are using Pitta similar to the Patriots' deployment of Aaron Hernandez (71.6 percent of 2011 snaps as wide receiver), forcing defenses to declare their coverage. It's an obvious boon to Pitta's fantasy value.

Hernandez-like rec... (Rotoworld) According to the Baltimore Sun, Ravens TE Dennis Pitta lined up as a wide receiver or slot receiver on more than two-thirds of his 51 Week 2 snaps. Analysis: Pitta didn't see a target on any of his 15 snaps as an in-line tight end. He did most of his fantasy damage out of the slot, where he was targeted on eight of 16 snaps. The Ravens are using Pitta similar to the Patriots' deployment of Aaron Hernandez (71.6 percent of 2011 snaps as wide receiver), forcing defenses to declare their coverage. It's an obvious boon to Pitta's fantasy value.
I'm a Hernandez owner that would love this to work but he isn't Hernandez

hes not hernandez ur right as noone is comparing him to hernandez.. Hes just playing the hernandez role and again this guy is alot like Witten not to fast great hands and hes a lesser name Witten

Living in Utah I get to watch a lot of BYU games (but I am a proud Utah fan) and I always remember Pitta at BYU making catch after catch, the guy rarely dropped a pass. Flacco is looking for him often as the security blanket and word is that the two are very close friends off the field. I would ride the hot hand here, as Dickson is a nice option 2 but Flacco doesn't trust him and he doesn't seem to have the great hands as Pitta has.
Yep. he looked like he had some hands. there were even a couple where the defender was all over him, but the pass was on the money and he made the catch.

In Pitta I trust! He's every bit of Hernandez with comparable targets. Well, with one big difference, PITTA IS HEALTHY AND PLAYING!

In Pitta I trust! He's every bit of Hernandez with comparable targets. Well, with one big difference, PITTA IS HEALTHY AND PLAYING!
Pitta's entire value right now is based on his unsustainable amount of targets. When his targets come down, like in this game we are watching right now, the ridiculous Hernandez comparisons should stop.

Pitta's entire value right now is based on his unsustainable amount of targets. When his targets come down, like in this game we are watching right now, the ridiculous Hernandez comparisons should stop.
Thanks for this! I mean your timing is terrific!!! The first time Pitta's numbers drop, you're in here showing your wisdom.On the other hand, if you'll re-read my post, you'll see that I said WITH COMPARABLE TARGETS, he's every bit of Hernandez. So, you're right, if Hernandez gets 3 times as many targets as Pitta would, then Hernandez would be more valuable. Thanks.

This statement is a little off. Pitta is mirroring Hernandez's stats from last year, peak targets some games less on others and TDs scattered in there (no where close to Gronk). Last year Hernandez averaged almost 6pts a week in my league scoring. Pitta so far is averaging just over 6pts. Seems strange but they really are equivalent stats. Personally I think it reflects the overestimation of Hernandez last season as much as it reflects the overestimation of Pitta now.

I hope he can get a catch or 2 in the 4th quarter - a goose egg on Thursday is going to suck to look at for 3 days -

Man, using Pitta, Gates, and Cook this year (Gates game 1, Cook 2, Pitta in 3 and 4) I've gotten only a single good game. Can't win.

Yeah, yeah this is pretty unbelievable. Only a TD can save his night right now. It won't happen.

What I think is even worse, is that I'm betting a bunch of Pitta owners are like me who lost Hernandez who put up a goose egg himself in week 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty brutal. Garbage time TD or a seriously wasted slot in a couple of leagues. I've been platooning him with Cook, so watch Cook be the first TE to actually blow up on Houston this year, too.

Yeah, yeah this is pretty unbelievable. Only a TD can save his night right now. It won't happen.What I think is even worse, is that I'm betting a bunch of Pitta owners are like me who lost Hernandez who put up a goose egg himself in week 2.
Crazy and frustrating in a year with so much TE production.

I hope he can get a catch or 2 in the 4th quarter - a goose egg on Thursday is going to suck to look at for 3 days -
Agreed! He is on 2 of my big money teams as my flex, but still want a few targets.
I feel that. He's sinking my big money leagues too. Barely a sniff tonight, obviously wasn't even in the gameplan. Since they ran play action crossing routes often against the Raven's zone, I'm pretty surprised.

Let's further our misery a bit.... which player did you sit in favor of Pitta?

I sat M. Bennett. Fully expecting 150 yards & 3 TDs from him on Sunday night.

Let's further our misery a bit.... which player did you sit in favor of Pitta?I sat M. Bennett. Fully expecting 150 yards & 3 TDs from him on Sunday night.
Chris Johnson and Hankerson, so it probably won't matter much. All of my damn players are hurt!!!

Users who are viewing this thread