What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadly Animal Draft (1 Viewer)

I think if it is a small animal, then we should be allowed to draft a pack of them. I mean a kller bee does not strike fear in anyone, but a pack of killerbees is scary.The same thing for one piranha, but a pack is formitable....So I think the rules should be modified to allow animals that are smaller than a squirrel can be drafted as a pack.I mean what kind of battle would there be between a moose and one killer bee? The bee stings once and eviscerates himself--battle over...., but multiple stings could cause the moose to stampeed and run into a tree or off a cliff.The possibilities are endless.I've got my cheatsheets ready---when's the draft?? :D
Sounds great. When you put together a draft you should allow it, BUT NOT HERE. Single animals over one inch only.NEW RULE:Take note, this is important and I will re-post in the OP. If someone makes a pick that is against the stated rules (e.g., T Rex or 50 ants), I will not only replace their pick with some thing lame (like Bambi), but as a further penalty, I will also incapacitate one of their earlier pick... maybe a broken jaw for their hippo or sever hemerroids on their baboon... something really nasty and devistating.There are not that many rules and all the dunderheads that can't take the time to read them will PAY.

P.S. I agree with C.J. about the smaller animals = pack. Good points there.
ok, i thought this was obvious, but since more than one person has expressed this sentiment, i feel the need to chime in. sandbagger is right. courtjester is wrong. one animal = one animal. don't draft a swarm of killer bees, because (1) we'll laugh at you for picking such wussy animals, and (2) we'll yell at you for attempting to make picks 2 through 8 out of turn.

I think if it is a small animal, then we should be allowed to draft a pack of them. I mean a kller bee does not strike fear in anyone, but a pack of killerbees is scary.The same thing for one piranha, but a pack is formitable....So I think the rules should be modified to allow animals that are smaller than a squirrel can be drafted as a pack.I mean what kind of battle would there be between a moose and one killer bee? The bee stings once and eviscerates himself--battle over...., but multiple stings could cause the moose to stampeed and run into a tree or off a cliff.The possibilities are endless.I've got my cheatsheets ready---when's the draft?? :D
Sounds great. When you put together a draft you should allow it, BUT NOT HERE. Single animals over one inch only.NEW RULE:Take note, this is important and I will re-post in the OP. If someone makes a pick that is against the stated rules (e.g., T Rex or 50 ants), I will not only replace their pick with some thing lame (like Bambi), but as a further penalty, I will also incapacitate one of their earlier pick... maybe a broken jaw for their hippo or sever hemerroids on their baboon... something really nasty and devistating.There are not that many rules and all the dunderheads that can't take the time to read them will PAY.
:rotflmao: excellent.

Draft Order and Division Place ment is now listed in the Original Post.truth is on the clock.DRAFT ORDER:1. truth MAMMAL DIV2. Kovax REPTILE DIV3. Captain Hucklebuck FISH DIV4. pgreenfan AMPHIBIAN DIV5. gorf MAMMAL DIV6. bigjay REPTILE DIV7. PoolShark FISH DIV8. NCCommish AMPHIBIAN DIV9. the rover MAMMAL DIV10. Noodlefish REPTILE DIV11. TLEF316 FISH DIV12. Sandbagger MAMMAL DIV13. CourtJester REPTILE DIV14. Fast Eddie21 FISH DIV15. The Goat AMPHIBIAN DIV16. PAQ AMPHIBIAN DIV

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. The problem is, what if one team's critters are left swimming, and the other's standing? Does the orang-utan have to wander into the surf to bonk the hammerhead on the snoot? Or does the sperm whale have to beach itself in the slim hopes it can roll on top of the badger before it suffocates under its own mass? Is it a tie? :confused:
I think this will play greatly into my drafting strategy.What type of environment will the death match be taking place? Just a dirt ring or is there a body of water close by or will there be trees nearby? I don't want to give away my strategy but guerrila tactics might be a big part of it.

I think this will play greatly into my drafting strategy.What type of environment will the death match be taking place? Just a dirt ring or is there a body of water close by or will there be trees nearby? I don't want to give away my strategy but guerrila tactics might be a big part of it.
Please read original thread and rules. If still unclear, let me know and I will replace you with someone that CAN read.

Draft Order and Division Place ment is now listed in the Original Post.truth is on the clock.DRAFT ORDER:1. truth MAMMAL DIV2. Kovax REPTILE DIV3. Captain Hucklebuck FISH DIV4. pgreenfan AMPHIBIAN DIV5. gorf MAMMAL DIV6. bigjay REPTILE DIV7. PoolShark FISH DIV8. NCCommish AMPHIBIAN DIV9. the rover MAMMAL DIV10. Noodlefish REPTILE DIV11. TLEF316 FISH DIV12. PAQ AMPHIBIAN DIV13. Sandbagger MAMMAL DIV14. CourtJester REPTILE DIV15. Fast Eddie21 FISH DIV16. The Goat AMPHIBIAN DIV
I demand that I move up two spots in the draft order because you ddin't spell my name right... :ph34r:

Draft Order and Division Place ment is now listed in the Original Post.truth is on the clock.DRAFT ORDER:1. truth MAMMAL DIV2. Kovax REPTILE DIV3. Captain Hucklebuck FISH DIV4. pgreenfan AMPHIBIAN DIV5. gorf MAMMAL DIV6. bigjay REPTILE DIV7. PoolShark FISH DIV8. NCCommish AMPHIBIAN DIV9. the rover MAMMAL DIV10. Noodlefish REPTILE DIV11. TLEF316 FISH DIV12. PAQ AMPHIBIAN DIV13. Sandbagger MAMMAL DIV14. CourtJester REPTILE DIV15. Fast Eddie21 FISH DIV16. The Goat AMPHIBIAN DIV
I demand that I move up two spots in the draft order because you ddin't spell my name right... :ph34r:
I response to your demand, your draft position has been lowered four spots... Be careful with your demands on unpaid professionlas.

I response to your demand, your draft position has been lowered four spots... Be careful with your demands on unpaid professionlas.
Excellent. My plan is coming together perfectly.

Excellent. My plan is coming together perfectly.
Please do not try and show up the commish.Your second reound pick has been forfeited and replaced with an auxiallary pick at the end of the draft

I'm getting antsy to get this draft going. I already have the first couple rounds all mapped out. :bag: This week is not going to be very productive at work.

If anyone needs to leave, they may PM their list of choices to me. Anything to try and keep it up to speed. I have pm'ed truth

listen, if you want to spend all 8 picks on different kinds of bees, go ahead.all i know is that i won't be drafting winnie the pooh so i'm not too concerned.every animal i have on my draft list i only need one of to inflict damage that hasn't been seen since the dresden bombings.
sandbagger is going to "kill" you guys. In more ways than 1

I'm getting antsy to get this draft going. I already have the first couple rounds all mapped out. :bag: This week is not going to be very productive at work.
I am too. Truthy, trusty, whatever- he needs to make a pic.

cosjobs: I have created a draft list (based on the current draft order) - If you want to keep track of everyone's picks, you can copy this into your first post for ease of reference (and update as we go). (Or I suppose you could ignore it. I was bored)[Edited to delete the lengthy draft list, which now appears in the first post of the thread.]

cosjobs: I have created a draft list (based on the current draft order) - If you want to keep track of everyone's picks, you can copy this into your first post for ease of reference (and update as we go). (Or I suppose you could ignore it. I was bored)
Thanks Gorf, I will insert it.

hardly surprising, as hippos are clearly a dangerous foe. the rest of us will have our work cut out if we are to stand any chance against your hippo (and the rest of your team). :yawn:

Commentary:

Upside :thumbup:

Clearly a nastly S.o.b. Causes lots o' death, and is fiercly territorial. Good intimidation factor when you can toss in press clippings about biting other big, nasty beasts in half, and the bit about biting off a dude's head and shoulders...*shudder*

Downside :thumbdown:

Does the Amphibious "Sea Creature" designation hold the hippo back? Depends on rule interpretation by fickly judges. Will certainly be out of its element if forced to square off against the nastier salt-water beasties on their home turf. And if so, does taking up a valuable Sea Creature slot so early come back to haunt this team? Hippos do a lot of damage, but how will they fare against larger opponents? We shall see...

Overall: solid pick. Hippo definitely graded out as a high 1st with most scouts, zoologists, and Fox programming directors.

Anxiously awaiting the next...

I would say good solid pick....Does anyone have the injury report on the Bengal Tiger??
I believe that they are still waiting for Roy's blood tests to get back from the lab. :bag:

While the hippo was the obvious choice at spot #1 due to its amphibious abilities, it will not control land or sea. Yes, the hippo is like a flex player. It may the best flex player out there but certainly not the best player overall.

I am going to take control of the ocean right away and claim my right to the most ferocious hunter on earth: the Great White Shark.

KILLER

I will name him Gepetto and he will kill indiscriminately at my command!!!

Great White commentary:

Upside :thumbup:

Quick killer who can maim or kill in a stroke, then move on. Good size, speed. Should give his owner a very good shot at sea-control in most matchups. Lots of teeth.

Downside :thumbdown:

How important a role with the Sea Creatures play in voters' minds? Will his kill total be held down due to the 3SC max? Might have left room at the top of the food chain, depending on which marine biologists you ask. Vulnerable to a good, swift bonk on the nose.

Overall: hard to argue with the world's most perfect killing machine at 1.2. Good, solid selection.

As my first selection, I will choose the Hippo, or more commonly referred to as the Hippopotamus amphibius. This is NOT the Pigmy Hippo (a relative).I sorta like this pic. I don't think I'd want to get in the middle of a hippo fight.Some nice quotes, found here And
Interesting. I always thought of the hippo as defensive. This selection seems to violate the general rule of thumb in a draft that defense and kickers, like the mule or kangaroo, should be drafted in the last few rounds.

This selection seems to violate the general rule of thumb in a draft that defense and kickers, like the mule or kangaroo, should be drafted in the last few rounds.
We said shut up on the sleepers, already! :hot: :rant: :hot:

I think if if put the first and second picks against each other, my vote would be for the shark. They're both in the sea category and even in shallow water, I think the shark would kick some ###.

I would like to remind all participants to check their PMs periodically, particularly if you have configured your board settings such that you do not automatically receive a notification when new PMs arrive.You never know when a trade offer might arrive. :ph34r: I am accepting offers for my #5 slot, as there is clearly a large dropoff in the quality of the animals that will be available after that.

I would like to remind all participants to check their PMs periodically, particularly if you have configured your board settings such that you do not automatically receive a notification when new PMs arrive.You never know when a trade offer might arrive. :ph34r: I am accepting offers for my #5 slot, as there is clearly a large dropoff in the quality of the animals that will be available after that.
I'll give you my second round draft pick + my sceond to last round draft pick for your first round draft pick.

I've been torn... do I take the obvious Lion choice? Or is there something more out there in the family of great cats? Is there an animal which is both faster than a lion and a bit more ferocious? Perhaps something that can climb trees and top out at 45 MPH? Maybe one which can camouflage itself in the trees, pounce on a passing 1200 lb. animal, kill it, and then drag a 1200 lb. animal 30 feet up a tree to eat it?

There is. Fully capable of killing a hippopotamus by dropping from above, it would be unable to bring it into the tree, but we're not looking for the most impressive tree-dragging animal are we? We're looking for the deadliest. It can leap 18 feet straight into the air, and 30 feet in a single bound. I speak, of course, of the fearsome Black Leopard

Pound for pound, the most fearsome and deadly animal in the world. You're looking at the Roy Jones, Jr. of the animal kingdom - the backbone of Captain Hucklebuck's Intergalactic Circus of Wonders.

It can kill and outrun a Hippo, and jump 30 feet into the ocean to land easily on top of your silly Great White.

NEW RULE:No trading of draft picks or choices. This is going to be a ##### to keep up with and catalogue as it is and I am unwilling to add any extra effort.

.... jump 30 feet into the ocean to land easily on top of your silly Great White.
You are kidding me right? That sounds more like fantasy- everyone knows that just about every type of cat out there hates water. Even if you magical cat did like water- there is no way he would be able to handle Gepetto.

.... jump 30 feet into the ocean to land easily on top of your silly Great White.
You are kidding me right? That sounds more like fantasy- everyone knows that just about every type of cat out there hates water. Even if you magical cat did like water- there is no way he would be able to handle Gepetto.
Not magical, my friend - but able to swim, much like most other big cats (except the lion). The byproduct of living in rainforest regions. And the only way "Gepetto" can handle my leopard is if the poor cat is doubled over from laughing at his name. Besides, I think these two will not be going up against each other - it'll have to be a later-round sea-creature pick that does that. Face it, K-man - with the 3-sea creature rule, you just took Tony Gonzalez in the first round.

I've been torn... do I take the obvious Lion choice? Or is there something more out there in the family of great cats? Is there an animal which is both faster than a lion and a bit more ferocious? Perhaps something that can climb trees and top out at 45 MPH? Maybe one which can camouflage itself in the trees, pounce on a passing 1200 lb. animal, kill it, and then drag a 1200 lb. animal 30 feet up a tree to eat it?

There is. Fully capable of killing a hippopotamus by dropping from above, it would be unable to bring it into the tree, but we're not looking for the most impressive tree-dragging animal are we? We're looking for the deadliest. It can leap 18 feet straight into the air, and 30 feet in a single bound. I speak, of course, of the fearsome Black Leopard

Pound for pound, the most fearsome and deadly animal in the world. You're looking at the Roy Jones, Jr. of the animal kingdom - the backbone of Captain Hucklebuck's Intergalactic Circus of Wonders.

It can kill and outrun a Hippo, and jump 30 feet into the ocean to land easily on top of your silly Great White.
We have the first reach of the draft. Using my VBD chart I put together, I didn't see a leopard going off the board until at least 2.8

We have the first reach of the draft. Using my VBD chart I put together, I didn't see a leopard going off the board until at least 2.8
Your projections are flawed. The black leopard is unlike your other silly leopards. It is nearly invincible.

What, no sharks with friggin lazer beams on their heads? No ill tempered mutated sea bass? Actually my friends its all about bite radius and pounds per square inch of bite or strangle power, at least until you start drafting your toxics in the early/mid rounds. By my cheat sheet the top two choices are still on the board.

What, no sharks with friggin lazer beams on their heads? No ill tempered mutated sea bass? Actually my friends its all about bite radius and pounds per square inch of bite or strangle power, at least until you start drafting your toxics in the early/mid rounds. By my cheat sheet the top two choices are still on the board.
I believe most of the drafters have taken the opportunity to review the rules.

Not magical, my friend - but able to swim, much like most other big cats (except the lion). The byproduct of living in rainforest regions. And the only way "Gepetto" can handle my leopard is if the poor cat is doubled over from laughing at his name. Besides, I think these two will not be going up against each other - it'll have to be a later-round sea-creature pick that does that. Face it, K-man - with the 3-sea creature rule, you just took Tony Gonzalez in the first round.
The three sea creature rule means that that quality wins out over quantity. Using ADP, the Great White is one of only 2 sea creatures worth drafting in the first round. Look, I have plenty of experience drafting sea creatures in the first round and the only time it failed me was my rookie year (yuch, I chose a dolphin- smart but not too tough. Boy did I get burned on that one).Regardless, the name Gepetto is all part of the plan. While your 'cat' is frollicking in the water, laughing at my GWs name- he'll find out the awesome power of Gepetto.BTW- your cat has to sleep sometime. Gepetto does not.

While the hippo was the obvious choice at spot #1 due to its amphibious abilities, it will not control land or sea. Yes, the hippo is like a flex player. It may the best flex player out there but certainly not the best player overall.I am going to take control of the ocean right away and claim my right to the most ferocious hunter on earth: the Great White Shark.KILLERI will name him Gepetto and he will kill indiscriminately at my command!!!
solid #2. can't go wrong with one of the most dangerous pure water animals. a pretty obvious choice in the early stages.i personally like my late round pick as i'll get some good value on the turn i think.

This selection seems to violate the general rule of thumb in a draft that defense and kickers, like the mule or kangaroo, should be drafted in the last few rounds.
We said shut up on the sleepers, already! :hot: :rant: :hot:
agreed. there should be no mention of other animals until they have been drafted.

i agree. i think the black leopard, while certainly dangerous in it's own right, could have been had much later than the first round. there are going to be a lot of dangerous animals taken before your next pick.

three picks in a full workday? this is killing me. I'm going to be picking #9 on like Wednesday.
I think after everyone realizes the draft started, the picks will start to come in fast and furious (just like the temperment of my first pick is going to be, unlike a cuddly black kitten).

Users who are viewing this thread