What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren Sproles Thread (1 Viewer)

Any updates on playing status tonight? Searched google but nothing, any twitter folks out there with news or are we looking at true gtd?

Why did Sproles start sucking? Is he hurt?
I think it's a combination of that and Pierre Thomas doing pretty well. Graham has been gobbling up most of the redzone targets. He's just not really needed as much as he has been in the past.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mike Triplett calls Darren Sproles (ankle, knee) a "true 50-50" for Thursday's game against the Falcons.

Sproles is officially questionable after missing Tuesday and Wednesday's practices. Sproles' status likely wouldn't be a question if the Saints weren't on a short week, but he's had just three days to heal up after playing hurt in Sunday's win over the 49ers. Sproles will be a mid-range FLEX option if he gives it a go in Atlanta.

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter

Sproles is officially inactive according to local New Orleans News
+Rotoworld
Rotoworld take:

Darren Sproles (ankle, knee) is inactive for Week 12 against the Falcons.
As is RG Jahri Evans. The short week was too much for Sproles to overcome after he played hurt in Week 11 against the 49ers. With 11 days to heal up for Week 13, Sproles should be ready to roll against the Seahawks on Monday Night Football. His absence locks Pierre Thomas in as a legitimate RB2, and boosts Mark Ingram's RB4 prospects. Khiry Robinson will likely be in for a carry or two. Also inactive for the Saints are WR Nick Toon, QB Ryan Griffin, DE Tyrunn Walker, S Isa Abdul-Quddus and CB Trevin Wade.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Any word on Sproles status this week? The Saints play on Monday night so it will likely be too late to sub him out if he doesn't play.

Rotoworld:

The Saints did not provide an update on Darren Sproles (ankle) Tuesday.

The Saints are on an odd schedule right now as they played on Thursday night in Week 12 and will play on Monday night in Week 13. Therefore, they're not required to reveal any kind of injury report until Thursday even though they held a light practice Tuesday. It means that owners might not have a great read on Sproles' status until after the Thanksgiving games kick off. Still, we'd be surprised if the electric passing back wasn't able to play in the crucial game at Seattle. He was a true game-time call against the Falcons and has now had a ton of time to heal.

Related: Pierre Thomas

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Darren Sproles (ankle) is active for Monday night's Week 13 game against the Seahawks.
As expected. Sproles was listed as probable on the injury report and is on the flex radar against Seattle. Inactive for the Saints are DE Glenn Foster, QB Ryan Griffin, OT Terron Armstead, CB Trevin Wade, RB Khiry Robinson, WR Nick Toon, and DE Keyunta Dawson.

Rotoworld:

Darren Sproles played on just 19-of-62 snaps in Monday night's loss to the Seahawks.

It wasn't due to Sproles' ankle as he appeared to be operating at 100 percent. He lost a lot of passing-down reps to Pierre Thomas (29 snaps) and the Saints failed to sustain many long drives. Sproles did get 10 touches on his 19 snaps, but he's only a PPR option as we head into the fantasy playoffs. He's totaled more than 43 yards just once since the Week 7 bye.

Source: profootballfocus.com

Rotoworld:

Darren Sproles played on just 19-of-62 snaps in Monday night's loss to the Seahawks.

It wasn't due to Sproles' ankle as he appeared to be operating at 100 percent. He lost a lot of passing-down reps to Pierre Thomas (29 snaps) and the Saints failed to sustain many long drives. Sproles did get 10 touches on his 19 snaps, but he's only a PPR option as we head into the fantasy playoffs. He's totaled more than 43 yards just once since the Week 7 bye.

Source: profootballfocus.com
This is a great example of how misleading snap counts can be. Sproles played 10 fewer snaps than Thomas but significantly outperformed him in PPR. Snap counts have value but usage is far more important. Sproles touched the ball and was targeted more than 50% of the time when he was on the field. We always want more from our players but as a Sproles owner I'll take double-digit touches and especially 7 receptions. If he's getting those numbers consistently he'll be extremely productive in my opinion.

Rotoworld:

Darren Sproles played on just 15-of-65 snaps in Sunday night's win over the Panthers.

Sproles' usage continues to plummet. Since returning from an ankle sprain four games ago, he's played on just 84-of-280 snaps (30 percent). During that span, he's averaging 3.0 carries and 5.2 catches per day. Beat writer Mike Triplett suggests the Saints are trying to preserve Sproles for the postseason, but the continually solid play of Pierre Thomas (37 snaps Week 14) is a major factor as well. Sproles will be a risky fantasy play against the Rams Sunday due to his lack of volume.

Sproles has been about 10 ppg in PPR since returning. He used to be an elite RB1 in PPR. Now he is a low ceiling flex.

Still can't drop him in PPR and have him go off against you.

Macdaddy_2004 said:
I dunno I am rolling with him he has had two big games this year so the potential is there.
Yep...it's the playoffs/swing for the fences time IMO.
The Rams are no. 5 most FFPA to RBs this year (22.4 FFP/gm), no. 12 over the last 5 weeks.

It's a decent matchup, in a dome, and maybe the Saints offense gets some opportunities. They have a huge chip on their shoulder locally about playing on the road, might really be out to prove something. Also, they clinch a playoff birth with a win. I'm expecting a fast start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Sproles' matchup but he is so hard to trust right now. I would love to put him in over Le'Veon in PPR but workload just isn't there.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints blogger Mike Triplett believes Darren Sproles' roster spot is safe for 2014.

Sproles is coming off a disappointing season, will turn 31 in June, and earns the most money in the New Orleans backfield. The Saints are in penny-pinching mode and need to shed some salary. They could save $3.5 million against the cap by releasing Sproles. However, Triplett thinks it's more likely Pierre Thomas gets the boot than Sproles. Thomas was the far better player in 2013.

I dont think Thomas has anything to do with Sproles at all, neither does any other RB on the Saints for that matter.

Sproles is only a RB on paper, he obviously plays some other position that doesnt really have a name.

I think if the Saints ever decide to get rid of Sproles it will have had nothing to do with who they have at RB

ghostguy123 said:
I dont think Thomas has anything to do with Sproles at all, neither does any other RB on the Saints for that matter.

Sproles is only a RB on paper, he obviously plays some other position that doesnt really have a name.

I think if the Saints ever decide to get rid of Sproles it will have had nothing to do with who they have at RB
Not to mention Sproles' large role on Special Teams.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Saints are expected to release Darren Sproles.
The move will save the Saints $3.5 million in 2014 cap space. Per PFT's Mike Florio, Sproles has not yet been released and could still be traded. A non-factor as a rusher, Sproles showed signs of decline in the passing game last year and is entering his age 31 season. New Orleans is also shopping Pierre Thomas as they look to free up money to re-sign Jimmy Graham.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints blogger Mike Triplett believes Darren Sproles' roster spot is safe for 2014.

Sproles is coming off a disappointing season, will turn 31 in June, and earns the most money in the New Orleans backfield. The Saints are in penny-pinching mode and need to shed some salary. They could save $3.5 million against the cap by releasing Sproles. However, Triplett thinks it's more likely Pierre Thomas gets the boot than Sproles. Thomas was the far better player in 2013.

:rolleyes: Shows you can't always trust Rotoworld.

Colts, Redskins, Giants, Panthers and Steelers may look to bring him in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone trust rotoworld? It's just people with opinions based on the same things we hear about players.

I still don't think they lose him. He is important enough they will figure something out.

Or I am wring and they just cut him, lol.

Why would anyone trust rotoworld? It's just people with opinions based on the same things we hear about players.

I still don't think they lose him. He is important enough they will figure something out.

Or I am wring and they just cut him, lol.
You are wrong. Sproles has already conceded that he is gone on twitter

"@DarrenSproles Thank you New Orleans for your support over the past 3 years! I will always be forever grateful. #WhoDat"

If Denver loses Moreno, a Ball / Sproles backfield has potential.
I was thinking that, but shhhhh. Dont jinx it. Its crazy how a person could get released from the Saints yet still shoot up in value. I love Sproles in that offense more than in the Saints offense. Saints either way will be dumb if they get rid of a good solid veteran like Sproles in the backfield.

I was thinking that, but shhhhh. Dont jinx it. Its crazy how a person could get released from the Saints yet still shoot up in value. I love Sproles in that offense more than in the Saints offense. Saints either way will be dumb if they get rid of a good solid veteran like Sproles in the backfield.
Just thinking losing Decker and Moreno will have them looking at short term options. Sproles probably would cover the rest of Peyton's career.

Don't know that his value would shoot up, but it certainly wouldn't kill it.

Just thinking losing Decker and Moreno will have them looking at short term options. Sproles probably would cover the rest of Peyton's career.

Don't know that his value would shoot up, but it certainly wouldn't kill it.
Moreno caught 60 passes (Total of 92 for all RBs) and Decker caught 87, that is a lot of catches to go around. Sure Welker, Thomas and Thomas would see more but thats still a lot for a guy like Sproles and he may be able to get more scores in that offense too. Assuming Denver were to make a play of course.

The Saints still have not officially released Sproles. Would they really keep Sproles from hitting the open market at the start of FA knowing that they are going to release him? Seems like how the Saints would operate now and days.

Users who are viewing this thread