What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Herron - IND RB? (1 Viewer)

Maven

Footballguy
Richardson 7att 15yds 2.14ypc

Herron 4att 33yds 8.25ypc

Brown 2att 1yd

Whats the word on this guy and for those who saw him how did he look Sunday? Whats his role going forward?

ollege career[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

Herron spent five years at The Ohio State University. He was a four-time letterman. In 2008 he struggled to get playing time over future NFL back Beanie Wells and again in 2009 splitting time with Brandon Saine in an offense heavily centered around the running talents of quarterback Terrelle Pryor. In 2010, Herron delivered as the starter, totaling 1155 yards and 16 touchdowns. Later that year, just a week before the team's appearance in their bowl game, it became eminent that Herron, amongst other top Buckeye players were facing substantial NCAA sanctions.

Suspension[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

On December 23, 2010 Herron and four other Ohio State players were suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season, but were still allowed to play in that year's Sugar Bowl, which they won 31-26 vs. Arkansas. Herron was said to have sold a jersey, pants, and shoes that he had previously worn in a game. The other suspended players were quarterback Terrelle Pryor, wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams, and defensive end Soloman Thomas

I remember thinking he looked pretty good with the Bengals.

The Colts also went and signed RB Chris Rainey, formerly of the Steelers.

Call me crazy but I think Herron makes an interesting longshot Dynasty stash. Yes, they only gave him the 4 carries in garbage time. But it was only his sixth game with the Colts. Meanwhile, Trent has only produced 136 rushing yards on 52 carries in that same time.

Rogers getting activated at WR makes me wonder if MAYBE Pagano is looking at all options to help get back to consistent high production level on offense. Boom is not a homerun hitter, but might provide them the downhill running style that they were expecting from Richardson .

ollege career[edit]

Herron spent five years at The Ohio State University. He was a four-time letterman. In 2008 he struggled to get playing time over future NFL back Beanie Wells and again in 2009 splitting time with Brandon Saine in an offense heavily centered around the running talents of quarterback Terrelle Pryor. In 2010, Herron delivered as the starter, totaling 1155 yards and 16 touchdowns. Later that year, just a week before the team's appearance in their bowl game, it became eminent that Herron, amongst other top Buckeye players were facing substantial NCAA sanctions.

Suspension[edit]

On December 23, 2010 Herron and four other Ohio State players were suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season, but were still allowed to play in that year's Sugar Bowl, which they won 31-26 vs. Arkansas. Herron was said to have sold a jersey, pants, and shoes that he had previously worn in a game. The other suspended players were quarterback Terrelle Pryor, wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams, and defensive end Soloman Thomas
I stopped reading at "The Ohio State University"

Dr. Brew said:
ollege career[edit]

Suspension[edit]

Why? It's the official name of the school.

Dr. Brew said:
ollege career[edit]

Suspension[edit]

The "I stopped reading at" has always been more negative the reader than the writer, imo.

Dr. Brew said:
ollege career[edit]

Suspension[edit]

The "I stopped reading at" has always been more negative the reader than the writer, imo.
:goodposting: the exact point I was making.

One thing the box score does not show is he's only gotten a few carries when there was 1-1.5 minutes left in the game when the team had no chance of catching up and the colts have for some reason just been running the clock out in these situations instead of trying to pass for a garbage time TD. Herron literally gets 2-3 carries with 30 seconds left when they're down 15+, so all the defense is trying to do is prevent a 60+ yard TD from happening.

His 8.5 YPC is possibly the most misleading stat in all of football this year.. and Herron was someone I spent late round rookie picks on last year and stashed thinking there was a small chance he could pass up BJGE, so I like him.

While I doubt that Herron is ready to break out any anytime soon. I always pay attention to players that take show even a littlle potential when given an opportunity. His production may have been in garbage time, but he did produce. Which is something the colts desperately need from the RB position right now. Maybe the coaches take notice and give him more opportunities, maybe not. I ignored a player who produced late in the season a few years back. I sure wished I hadn't dismissed Arian Fosters late season production. And NO, I'm not saying Herron will be Foster, just saying let a guy prove he isn't any good instead finding reasons to dismiss any potential that he is showing.

I'm not saying he has no chance to ever produce for fantasy... but this garbage time production was on a completely different level from the normal garbage time production.

They weren't carries with a 2-5 minutes left in the game... They were carries with 30-60 seconds left while the team had no possible chance of catching up (and very clearly making it known they weren't trying by just running up the middle and not even trying to pass/run out of bounds).

Most of Cecil Shorts' production is standard garbage time production... As what Carson Palmer's last year in Oakland etc... But Herron's garbage time production was the running equivalent of a defense not having a single player lined up behind the LOS and having all of the DBs lined up along the sidelines to try and prevent the receivers from getting out I bounds 100% happy to give them 10-15 yards a pop over the middle while keeping the clock ticking.

Most teams seem to air it out until the last few seconds to try scoring an extra TD in the last minute even if they're down 17+, but the Colts have just been sending Hasselbeck/Herron out there and handing the ball off 3-4 times until the clock hits 0:00. Any stats that are accumulated here should have a MASSIVE asterisk next to them.

***want to be clear I'm not some bitter owner/non owner... Just letting you know how meaningless that 8.5 YPC statline is. They weren't even carries here and there through the game as a COP back where he flashed... they were literally with 30-90 seconds left in the game while the teams were just trying to get to the locker room and be over with it ASAP lol

So... the new Herron owners just have to hope for garbage time? Doubt he's worth stashing in most teams, but deep leagues?

Consider grabbing DH now, before he's snapped up. The RB situation in Indiana is filled with farcical players.

Dan Herron may get lots of PT if he stays healthy. I liked his game tonight.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
I'm beginning to take note. Can he be this year's Donald Brown?
Bradshaw will get the first shot if Richardson gets benched, but Herron could get his chance when Bradshaw gets hurt.

This preseason, he leads the team with 104 yards rushing. He has caught a club-high 10 passes for 53 yards and a touchdown. For good measure, he has returned two kickoffs for 46 yards.

Reegus said:
cstu said:
This preseason, he leads the team with 104 yards rushing. He has caught a club-high 10 passes for 53 yards and a touchdown. For good measure, he has returned two kickoffs for 46 yards.
That's all? Pretty low numbers considering he's rushing against 4th string defenders.
He only had 18 carries. The only RB's with a higher YPC (5.8) and more carries was Rashad Jennings, Ingram and Peerman. And the number of receptions those guys had were 1, 2, and 1, respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reegus said:
cstu said:
That's all? Pretty low numbers considering he's rushing against 4th string defenders.
Why do people use this logic so often? If true, it also means he is rushing behind 4th string blockers. So which is a bigger factor?

Users who are viewing this thread