What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concept Coop's Dynasty Rankings (1 Viewer)

TripleThreat said:
Best discussion I've read in some time, @Concept Coop.  Thanks. 

Question regarding Chris Carson.  He seemed like he was coming on when he went down.  Do you not believe in his talent, that SEA won't get their OL issues fixed, he'll split with Mike Davis? 3 headed monster with Prosise? or?   Love to read thoughts on him, TIA
I thought he looked pretty good, but the sample size was really small.  I view him as a quality gamble and stash, but no more than that.  I think Seattle is a candidate to go RB early.  If Carson survives the draft and FA, I'll be more interested, but currently seem him as a dart with decent upside.  I'll be surprised if he's the week 1 starter.  

Btw as a total aside to all of this, while Kamara's listed height/weight look good for a heavier workload, to me (and I think you even mentioned the same in another thread) he looks a lot smaller than his listed weight on the field.  I'm not sure why.
He looks super thin - but he does play and look strong. I think his weight is just evenly distributed. He's "sleek".

I thought he looked pretty good, but the sample size was really small.  I view him as a quality gamble and stash, but no more than that.  I think Seattle is a candidate to go RB early.  If Carson survives the draft and FA, I'll be more interested, but currently seem him as a dart with decent upside.  I'll be surprised if he's the week 1 starter.  
I realize this is not any kind of deep analysis, but it just seems like Seattle has these "come out of nowhere" guys each season that burst on the scene and quickly fade away.

Like I said that's anecdotal and likely isn't fair but I have a hard time going out and trying to acquire Carson. He'd have to be a throw in for me to even want him - and his owners, rightfully, are not going to do that. So, in other words, I agree.

Dr. Octopus said:
Also the guy is 5'10" 215 pounds so I'm not sure why you think he's capped at 120-150 carries. As much as the New Orleans system helps him the fact that Ingram was there and Peyton likes a RBBC also hurt him to some extent. Ingram is only under contract one more season. I don't see why Kamara couldn't see a heavier workload once Ingram is gone.
He could I suppose. Sean Payton does like to use more than one RB though and even when Ingram leaves they may just replace him with another RB who will get a lot of carries.

We are also looking at these possible additional opportunities not happening until 2019. To me that is a lot of time in RB years. He is young. He might have a better chance to be the primary RB if Payton also is gone than if they keep Payton. Brees is playing great so I could see him still playing well then. It is 2 years from now though and Brees may be closer to his swan song by then.

Bress just turned 39 in January. So he will be 40 same as Brady in 2019 and I could pretty easily see him still playing well that season. Maybe Brees has another 4 seasons left.

There is some risk of Brees falling off though and how the new QB plays as well as who the coach will be are unknowns that add risk to his outlook.

We are also looking at these possible additional opportunities not happening until 2019. To me that is a lot of time in RB years. He is young. He might have a better chance to be the primary RB if Payton also is gone than if they keep Payton. Brees is playing great so I could see him still playing well then. It is 2 years from now though and Brees may be closer to his swan song by then.
Doesn't this go both ways?  By the time Kamara needs to worry about another system, Bell and DJ will be 28. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for the group. What RB who are below tier 5 do you think could or should also be tier 5?

Jordan Howard - T5

Mark Ingram - T5

Kenyan Drake - T5

Carlos Hyde - T5

Jay Ajayi - T5

Tevin Coleman - T5

LeSean McCoy - T5

Lamar Miller - T6

D'Onta Foreman - T6

Alex Collins - T6

Duke Johnson - T6

Dion Lewis - T6

Samaje Perine - T6

Isaiah Crowell - T6

Chris Thompson - T7

Aaron Jones - T7

Jamaal Williams - T7

Tarik Cohen - T7

Rex Burkhead - T7

Marlon Mack - T7

Jerick McKinnon - T7

CJ Anderson - T7

Ty Montgomery - T7

Austin Ekeler - T7

Ameer Abdullah - T7

Chris Carson - T7

Matt Brieda - T7

Or perhaps someone not mentioned? For example one of the rookie RB?

I'd like to see Anderson's landing spot...could be a small bump.

Duke and Thompson are intriguing enough to maybe be Coleman level value in ppr.

Drake and Ajayi have enough ? for me to move them down toward those guys.

I might put Drake, Duke, Ajayi and Thompson in a t5.5.  And I really, as a fan, want to push Lewis up into or even over that group too.  Not sure I can though.

Overall looks like a solid list.  Good posting.

I can't see a solid case for any of the T6 to make their way up to T5 as consensus, but I could see a few of them based on personal preference. 

Jamaal Williams looked pretty damn good to my eyes when he got opportunity, and perhaps better when Rodgers returns.  The problem is if Aaron Jones and Ty Monty are still apart of that backfield or they get relegated to backup roles. 

Rex Burkhead got lots of touches when he was healthy and part of the gameplan that.  But the forever question of gameplan in regards to Belichick is always a problem of projecting those guys.  

Crowell has had flashes for 2 years now and there is a possible scenario that he becomes lead back somewhere on a team that isn't Cleveland so I can see a little hope for some people on their view.

CJ Anderson has shown well at times and most people seem to think Denver will sign a QB rather than draft one, so could be in for a quick fix and bump in value.  

Like I said I wouldn't think any of these guys in tier 6 would be the norm to be ranked higher, but these are the only ones I can see a case being made at this moment.  Things could and probably will change after the draft obviously but we are where we are.  

Currently signed through 2019
Totally right, fixed my last post.  Doesn't change the outlook as much if they can find a QB, which I think most people expect them to sign a FA QB instead of drafting one.  Could be a quick fix.  

For contract details, check out overthecap.com.  CJ is signed through 2019, but no dead cap money if cut.  Cap savings of 4.5 million.    Popular opinion is that the contract will be gone, restructure or new location.

Totally right, fixed my last post.  Doesn't change the outlook as much if they can find a QB, which I think most people expect them to sign a FA QB instead of drafting one.  Could be a quick fix.  
I like DT as a buy low right now if I’m not rebuilding. CJ heated up at the end of the year, if he doesn’t get cut he will be in the mix and is probably cheap as all get out. 

Anyone have any thoughts on BAL RBs? Collins looked decent but they won’t commit to him and mention Dixon in the same thought. Anyone still like dixon?

Dixon didn't show as well as Collins and hasn't played in a year. I still like Collins but guess the back up plan would be rookie competition. Not buying Dixon.

I like DT as a buy low right now if I’m not rebuilding. CJ heated up at the end of the year, if he doesn’t get cut he will be in the mix and is probably cheap as all get out. 

Anyone have any thoughts on BAL RBs? Collins looked decent but they won’t commit to him and mention Dixon in the same thought. Anyone still like dixon?
If Baltimore does not add an early round rookie or impact free agent at RB, I think Collins is the clear cut favorite. He looked electric at times and was way more productive than Allen or Dixon ever were. Dixon has talent but I'm not sure he can survive missing so much time early in his career to make a major impact.

You never know what teams will do in the draft or free agency but I don't see Baltimore spending much in draft capital or actual dollars at the position when they can use Collins and Woodhead in a committee and still have Dixon and Allen as depth. Harbaugh not committing to Collins makes sense in a "coach-speak" kind of way - he hasn't earned the right to just be handed the starting job yet, but I would imagine Harbaugh would call him the favorite if he was speaking candidly.

Mike Williams wasn't drafted to be the Chargers' #1 WR. He was drafted to be #2 behind Allen.
That just doesn't seem to be true.  At the time there were plenty of questions about Keenan Allen and if he'd be the same player, so Mike Williams was drafted to be a substitute #1 in case Allen couldn't come back to his original form, which it seems he has.  That relegates MW to #2 which was probably the ideal scenario for the Chargers anyways.  But they took him that high in the draft because of the thought that he COULD be a #1 WR.  

If Baltimore does not add an early round rookie or impact free agent at RB, I think Collins is the clear cut favorite. He looked electric at times and was way more productive than Allen or Dixon ever were. Dixon has talent but I'm not sure he can survive missing so much time early in his career to make a major impact.

You never know what teams will do in the draft or free agency but I don't see Baltimore spending much in draft capital or actual dollars at the position when they can use Collins and Woodhead in a committee and still have Dixon and Allen as depth. Harbaugh not committing to Collins makes sense in a "coach-speak" kind of way - he hasn't earned the right to just be handed the starting job yet, but I would imagine Harbaugh would call him the favorite if he was speaking candidly.
Just me, but I think Allen>woodhead in real football terms at this point. 

Just me, but I think Allen>woodhead in real football terms at this point. 
I don't expect Woodhead to be back in Baltimore. Collins, Allen, Dixon to open the season. Maybe use a later draft pick on some competition but it certainly shouldn't be a need. Early round picks and free agent dollars would be better better spent on the OL and obviously some weapons at wr/te IMO. Could even beef up the defense and see if they can jump from pretty good to elite.

I don't expect Woodhead to be back in Baltimore. Collins, Allen, Dixon to open the season. Maybe use a later draft pick on some competition but it certainly shouldn't be a need. Early round picks and free agent dollars would be better better spent on the OL and obviously some weapons at wr/te IMO. Could even beef up the defense and see if they can jump from pretty good to elite.
Woodhead's contract is only $2.5MM for 2018. While it is not guaranteed, that's cheap enough where I'd think they'd keep him around.

Mike Williams wasn't drafted to be the Chargers' #1 WR. He was drafted to be #2 behind Allen.
Perhaps.  I suspect they had a Julio/Roddy situation in mind, best case, and also viewed Williams as insurance for Allen; in case they needed to move on from Allen's sizable contract after the 2018 season.  I do think they saw Williams as a potential WR1, and drafted him in large part due to that.  

I think a lot of Ross' value will be in the return game and in opening things up for the rest of the offense--things that fantasy formats do not reward.  I could certainly be off in my evaluation, but I saw Ross in the DeSean Jackson/WIll Fuller mold.  Jackson was the top weapon on his team at times, but I wouldn't call him a prototypical #1.  

That just doesn't seem to be true.  At the time there were plenty of questions about Keenan Allen and if he'd be the same player, so Mike Williams was drafted to be a substitute #1 in case Allen couldn't come back to his original form, which it seems he has.  That relegates MW to #2 which was probably the ideal scenario for the Chargers anyways.  But they took him that high in the draft because of the thought that he COULD be a #1 WR. 
It is absolutely true, which is why drafting Mike Williams was a poor decision for the Chargers.

Less than a year prior to drafting Williams, the Chargers signed Allen to a contract extension that paid him an average salary that was in the top 10 among WRs (I think it was 8th highest). That shows the Chargers view him as a #1 WR.

Allen tore his ACL in the first game of the 2016 season, but fully recovering from ACL tears has become routine. At the time they drafted Williams, Allen was 8 months into his recovery, and the team was aware that he was progressing well in his recovery.

Obviously the Chargers had Williams #1 on their board at pick #7, so I'm sure they feel he is capable of being a #1 WR... but the comment I responded to said he was drafted to be a #1. With Allen on the team, that is not true. Not a big deal, but that was the point of my comment.

Obviously the Chargers had Williams #1 on their board at pick #7, so I'm sure they feel he is capable of being a #1 WR... but the comment I responded to said he was drafted to be a #1. With Allen on the team, that is not true. Not a big deal, but that was the point of my comment.
To be fair, I said ever be a WR1.  I didn't mean to suggest Williams was drafted to supplant Allen.  

Woodhead's contract is only $2.5MM for 2018. While it is not guaranteed, that's cheap enough where I'd think they'd keep him around.
You're right it is fairly cheap but if Dixon is healthy and in a good place mentally he's making the team and Buck will be kept since he can catch fairly well and is big enough to duplicate some semblance of a power running game. Woodhead has the best hands and route running of the group but I'm not sure that will overcome what looked to be a big loss in quickness when he came back from the injury. 

Not suggesting I am right, but I have Kenneth Dixon ranked in my top 30.
Dixon was a 4th round comp pick in a very weak and shallow RB class.  He's been suspended for PEDs and suffered a major injury.  His early value was tied to his path to starter touches, and that path is now less promising.  He's a JAG to me, and I'd prefer to take a shot on a similar prospect without the baggage, which I expect to be able to do in the 3rd round this year.  JMO, of course. 

Concept Coop said:
Dixon was a 4th round comp pick in a very weak and shallow RB class.  He's been suspended for PEDs and suffered a major injury.  His early value was tied to his path to starter touches, and that path is now less promising.  He's a JAG to me, and I'd prefer to take a shot on a similar prospect without the baggage, which I expect to be able to do in the 3rd round this year.  JMO, of course. 
stashed him on my IR in a shallow league where someone dropped him early in the season, so I basically got him for free. I'll hold him as a free lottery ticket, see what happens in the pre-season, and dump him at keeper cut down time with no qualms. To me, Dixon is at that level of the dynasty value discussion.

Concept Coop said:
This describes a lot of guys after about RB25.

Allen and woodhead are like riddick and Abdullah- redundant talents. You just want one to be gone so the other has clear value. Speaking of Detroit, if they sign a fa 2 down guy like say Crowell or demarco Murray (assuming he becomes available) where would you slot that guy in a general sense? Obviously it depends on the back, like crow>hill>lacy, but short ydg back in a good offense should have some value. 

I've never had the desire/work ethic/whatever to put my own rankings together (so hard to weigh age, injuries, upside, downside, situation, situation stability, etc.), but these are always great offseason discussion catalysts. Most of the guys I feel are ranked too high have already been discussed in depth and I've probably even discussed them with CC in the dynasty value thread. The guys I feel are at highest risk of seeing a massive drop in value within 12 months are:

• Kamara - FB has hit this topic well, but it cannot be stated enough that everything clicked for the Saints this year. The RBs scored the most points for the Saints this year in all the years available for data dominator. 2011 was the only year close. Massive regression is coming in 2018 for that team as a whole. They went 7-9 for 3 years in a row. Nobody really knows where this 11-5 season came from. The management still isn't very good and they don't have much cap space. I feel very confident 2017 will be the most prolific fantasy scoring of Kamara's career. If you've got him and want to hang on for the long-term, that's understandable, but no way would I consider drafting/trading for him at this point in time.
  • DJ - extensively covered in the dynasty value thread. The talent looks good but his ranking is quite high based solely on one season in a totally different offense and surrounding cast than we'll see in 2018. Given his age, I feel we should have more than 1 season to go on (for example: he's a year older than Crowell, same age as Bell & Freeman). Does anyone feel good about Steve Wilks replacing Bruce Arians? I don't. In 12 months he'll be a 27 year old FA leaving Arizona on a down note. He'll be lucky to be in the top 10 discussion at that point. I predict he's on the outside looking in.
  • Hunt - I think Ware is good enough at enough things to really hurt Hunt's value next year. I'm not saying it's going to be a 50/50 RBBC, but Ware is a better pass blocker and a capable runner with a short yardage build. Hunt likely won't get 87% of the RB carries or 55% of the targets. I think it'll be enough to drop him at least a tier in the eyes of most dynasty owners. 
  • Gordon - he picked the right year to stay healthy. Volume is the only thing propping up his value. I agree with Dr. Dan that he's going to have a short shelf life, although it's worth noting that Reggie Bush was productive through age 28 with microfracture surgery.
  • Drake - I have him below a lot of guys in CC's tier 7. I don't recall any trusted analysts liking this guy coming out of college. I think there's a high probability they bring someone else in who takes this job. Remember, Gase tried to did sign CJA (coached him previously in Denver) two years ago and I think CJA gets cut. I think Gase signs him again.
  • Miller/Foreman - not sure if it is the Houston offense or Miller, but he hasn't looked good. I didn't like Foreman before the injury. That injury is a death knell for RBs. He done.
  • Collins - I know this is sh**y and lazy, but he's a 5th round pick who was cut by the Seahawks who needed RBs. They are pretty good talent evaluators and they had him for 1.5 years. Yes, he looked good a few times, but I don't think he holds long term dynasty value.
  • Hopkins - discussed at length in the other thread. I think he's very good, but garbage time has inflated his value (as with 2015, a massive % of his stats came while down by over 2 scores - in the other thread I listed other top WRs and their numbers in that scenario were a fraction of his). I'd rather have Keenan (same age) who had practically no stats in garbage time. That kind of production just seems more sustainable. If the Houston defense is healthy next year and Watson turns out to be human, I think his value falls back between here and last year after a ~150 target 2018 season.
  • Thomas - I think the Saints find another WR this season. Probably a slot guy who will hurt both Kamara and Thomas. Also, father time is coming for Brees (assuming he stays, which now seems likely). If Thomas can't increase his YPR or TD/rec, he'll lose some luster, especially if he loses targets.
  • Landry - another guy already discussed at length in another thread, but I just can't fathom a smart team giving this guy over 130 targets again. It'll be very interesting to see where he signs. I know it is popular to assume whoever signs him will have a good plan for him, but that isn't always the case. Just ask DeSean and Pryor owners.
  • JuJu - his value is very high everywhere right now due to age and stats (slight bump from a 97 yard TD). With the loss of the OC and the continued dominance of AB, I just don't think he can live up to his current value. I also still vaguely remember a bunch of negativity about him from a year ago from analysts. 
I can't see a solid case for any of the T6 to make their way up to T5 as consensus, but I could see a few of them based on personal preference. 

Jamaal Williams looked pretty damn good to my eyes when he got opportunity, and perhaps better when Rodgers returns.  The problem is if Aaron Jones and Ty Monty are still apart of that backfield or they get relegated to backup roles. 

Rex Burkhead got lots of touches when he was healthy and part of the gameplan that.  But the forever question of gameplan in regards to Belichick is always a problem of projecting those guys.  

Crowell has had flashes for 2 years now and there is a possible scenario that he becomes lead back somewhere on a team that isn't Cleveland so I can see a little hope for some people on their view.

CJ Anderson has shown well at times and most people seem to think Denver will sign a QB rather than draft one, so could be in for a quick fix and bump in value.  

Like I said I wouldn't think any of these guys in tier 6 would be the norm to be ranked higher, but these are the only ones I can see a case being made at this moment.  Things could and probably will change after the draft obviously but we are where we are.  
This post above highlighted some of the guys I think could see value jumps. While some guys like DJ and Kamara have their value propped up due to one perfect storm season, some of these guys got crapped on when it came to situation.

• Jamaal - while some guys play smaller than their weight, this guy looks and plays bigger. I'm aware his combine sucked, but you don't have to be a track star to get stats when Rodgers is the QB. He earned his stripes while playing against stacked boxes. He pushed the pile and broke tackles while pass protecting like a veteran. If he can continue to get his number called as the short yardage back and provide a dual threat on passing downs (showed he can provide the OC flexibility by excelling at receiving and blocking), then he'll have a long career putting up non-flashy RB2 numbers.
  • Dion - to me he's like Sproles but with better vision between the tackles. I would like to see him walk, but a lot of people seem to think his value is tied to New England. He'll be an interesting free agent to watch.
  • Crowell - was once thought to be a plodder until he recorded one of the highest top speeds in 2016 on an 85 yard TD run (IIRC, 21.98 mph). He's also shown well as a receiver. As a FA at only 25 years old, he'll be another guy that could really benefit from a change of scenery. Given that his team has been 1-31 in the past 2 years, the game script has to be better wherever he goes.
  • CJA - coming off a healthy 1k yard season on a rather abysmal Denver offense, he once again looked better than Booker. However, as I mentioned in the Drake comment, I think he gets cut (zero dead cap) and I expect Gase, who coached him in Denver, to sign him again. I am not excited about Loggans being the OC in Miami, but I do expect 2018 Miami to at least not be a downgrade from 2017 Denver :X . He's a guy who is cheap to acquire but has 3 down capability to go with goal line size.
  • Diggs - he's pretty much a given to jump up if he can stay healthy. He's young and as FB will point out, he always starts off red hot and then gets hurt. If he can stay healthy for just 14 games, he'll be a consensus top 10 WR.
  • Marvin - what does he have to do to get in the top 20? He's not old yet (a few months younger than Hilton) and he's coming off a really nice season. He put up 1100/9 on just 107 targets. If they ever give him 120+, the sky is the limit.
  • Coleman - dude just needs to stop breaking his hand. Well, that and a mediocre QB. I guess asking for both might be too much. I think he'd be a great match with Alex Smith.
  • Shepard - if you remove the game he played for less than a half, he had 10 games for 82/58/722/2 which would be 131/93/1155/3. I don't think 131 targets is fair to predict, but the point is that he followed up a nice rookie season with an even nicer sophomore season. He's trending in the right direction, but his value seems low. Not here specifically, but everywhere. He's a buy in my mind.

FF Ninja said:
Collins - I know this is sh**y and lazy, but he's a 5th round pick who was cut by the Seahawks who needed RBs. They are pretty good talent evaluators and they had him for 1.5 years. Yes, he looked good a few times, but I don't think he holds long term dynasty value.
Here's a good article on why the Seahawks cut Collins. TL;DR: 1) fumbles, 2) bulked up as a rookie which made him slow, 3) McKissic as receiver/returner more valuable at the time.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-mailbag-so-why-did-seattle-cut-alex-collins-anyway/

I would agree it's risky to invest in guys who come out of nowhere, but it gives some context.

Here's a good article on why the Seahawks cut Collins. TL;DR: 1) fumbles, 2) bulked up as a rookie which made him slow, 3) McKissic as receiver/returner more valuable at the time.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-mailbag-so-why-did-seattle-cut-alex-collins-anyway/

I would agree it's risky to invest in guys who come out of nowhere, but it gives some context.
What Baltimore does in the offseason will be very interesting to watch. Woodhead in the mix or cap cut? He’s no spring chicken anyway.  If he gets axed Allen should have flex value again in ppr. If they don’t add a quality fa or fairly early draft pick then Collins seems like he’d be the guy but dixon could pretty feasibly overtake him. Could be some buy low or even ww opportunities.  Seems like they have a lot of other more pressing needs than rb. Oline, wr, te, defense all need bodies. Rb seems reasonable at the moment. What wr do they bring in? What te do they bring in?  There should be more Fantasy value in that passing game than Allen and Watson. 

Anderson was $$ down the stretch after the new OC quit goofing around with a 3-headed committee:  22 touches and 107 yards per game over the last five games.  Downside is that every coaching staff tries to take touches away for whatever reason (conditioning, pain in the ###, stupidity -- who knows).  Upside is none of them have been able to stick with it yet.

What Baltimore does in the offseason will be very interesting to watch. Woodhead in the mix or cap cut? He’s no spring chicken anyway.  If he gets axed Allen should have flex value again in ppr. If they don’t add a quality fa or fairly early draft pick then Collins seems like he’d be the guy but dixon could pretty feasibly overtake him. Could be some buy low or even ww opportunities.  Seems like they have a lot of other more pressing needs than rb. Oline, wr, te, defense all need bodies. Rb seems reasonable at the moment. What wr do they bring in? What te do they bring in?  There should be more Fantasy value in that passing game than Allen and Watson. 
My money is on Dixon here. I think he was called a JAG in this thread, but I just don't know how that can be said. He looked legit after he got healthy as a rookie. In his last 8 games he averaged 4.9 ypc and caught 25 passes. He's a legit 3 down back, but he's long forgotten. Getting a PED suspension and missing a full year of football certainly increases his bust risk, but I don't see how anyone could label him a JAG from the limited sample we've seen of him. I can totally get giving him an "incomplete" grade, but not JAG. Even if he doesn't earn the job outright, I think he'll at least beat out Collins OR Allen for one part of the RBBC.

I don't expect Woodhead to be a factor. If they ignore the position in both the draft and free agency then he's got a shot at sticking around, but at age 33, I don't expect him to.

One thing about Dixon is that he was a pre draft darling and consensus second round pick.  He slid to the 4th round and every draftnik agreed Ozzie got a steal.  The dynasty threads were split because he looked good on tape and had a decent enough combine, but he slid. 

With him getting busted for ped use, maybe there was a knucklehead factor we didn't know about.  When Harbaugh was asked about him after the ped test but before the suspension was announced, he said something weird like I like him, he's a workout warrior, great arms. Maybe that's the red flag we didn't hear about that caused him to slip.

Not sure what to do with that information if it's even true, but it might reconcile the jag vs not a jag discrepancy. 

I dunno. When someone says JAG I assume it has to do with their actual play. But yeah, if his play was propped up by PEDs then he could definitely be a bust. I'd read before the draft that he was a high character guy who was good locker room influence, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those PEDs that doesn't actually impact athletic performance like adderall or something.

This will obviously be a critical year for him. If he doesn't stay healthy (or if they draft someone highly), he will probably be buried until he's a FA in 2020.

Coop: Great thread!  Re: WR Rankings - is it an omission or is Jordy Nelson really outside your top 50 with Rodgers back next year?
I need to fit Jordy, Crabtree, and Barber into the rankings.  Rather than do that now, I'm going to ponder some of the points that hit home with me, and revise both lists in the near future.  

My money is on Dixon here. I think he was called a JAG in this thread, but I just don't know how that can be said. He looked legit after he got healthy as a rookie. In his last 8 games he averaged 4.9 ypc and caught 25 passes. He's a legit 3 down back, but he's long forgotten. Getting a PED suspension and missing a full year of football certainly increases his bust risk, but I don't see how anyone could label him a JAG from the limited sample we've seen of him. I can totally get giving him an "incomplete" grade, but not JAG. Even if he doesn't earn the job outright, I think he'll at least beat out Collins OR Allen for one part of the RBBC.

I don't expect Woodhead to be a factor. If they ignore the position in both the draft and free agency then he's got a shot at sticking around, but at age 33, I don't expect him to.
Dixon looked pretty good, but the sample size was small, the competition was none, and the production came at the end of the season.  Calling him a legit 3 down back is much more of a statement than calling him a JAG.  He's an average athlete, plays smaller than his listed size, doesn't have much draft pedigree and simply doesn't stand out to me.  I'll gladly bet against him beating out Collins, and don't see him being fantasy relevant in the short-term unless he does.  And that's assuming the team doesn't address the position in the draft. 

FF Ninja said:
Hunt - I think Ware is good enough at enough things to really hurt Hunt's value next year. I'm not saying it's going to be a 50/50 RBBC, but Ware is a better pass blocker and a capable runner with a short yardage build. Hunt likely won't get 87% of the RB carries or 55% of the targets. I think it'll be enough to drop him at least a tier in the eyes of most dynasty owners. 
Ware's contract is up at the end of the season, and is only guaranteed for 333K this season.  

FF Ninja said:
Drake - I have him below a lot of guys in CC's tier 7. I don't recall any trusted analysts liking this guy coming out of college. I think there's a high probability they bring someone else in who takes this job. Remember, Gase tried to did sign CJA (coached him previously in Denver) two years ago and I think CJA gets cut. I think Gase signs him again.
I do think the Dolphins bring someone in.  If it's someone like CJ, I'll happily bet on Drake winning the job, and buy him at a heavily reduced rate. 

FF Ninja said:
Hopkins - discussed at length in the other thread. I think he's very good, but garbage time has inflated his value (as with 2015, a massive % of his stats came while down by over 2 scores - in the other thread I listed other top WRs and their numbers in that scenario were a fraction of his). 
The only thing you showed was that the Texans were a bad team this year.  Again, it makes zero sense to compare his gross garbage time numbers to players with less garbage time. Watch the guy play.  He's better than Keenan Allen.  

FF Ninja said:
Thomas - I think the Saints find another WR this season. Probably a slot guy who will hurt both Kamara and Thomas. Also, father time is coming for Brees (assuming he stays, which now seems likely). If Thomas can't increase his YPR or TD/rec, he'll lose some luster, especially if he loses targets.
Thomas' TDs are very likely to increase.  He finished WR6 with 5 TDs on the season.  He scored more points last year with fewer targets and with Cook on the roster.  If you're not sold on his talent, then of course move him before his situation changes.  If you are, don't overthink it. 

FF Ninja said:
Landry - another guy already discussed at length in another thread, but I just can't fathom a smart team giving this guy over 130 targets again. It'll be very interesting to see where he signs. I know it is popular to assume whoever signs him will have a good plan for him, but that isn't always the case. Just ask DeSean and Pryor owners.
Last year it was his value being tied to Tanny and his TD rate.  This year he had his best season with Jay Cutler and was one of the best redzone WRs in the league, according to PFF.  He's been a target hog for 4 years straight now, in 2 different systems, with 2 different coaches, and 3+ different QBs.  You're late the party, my man.  Once Landry signs, I'll gladly compare his contract to those DeSean and Pryor got.

FF Ninja said:
JuJu - his value is very high everywhere right now due to age and stats (slight bump from a 97 yard TD). With the loss of the OC and the continued dominance of AB, I just don't think he can live up to his current value. I also still vaguely remember a bunch of negativity about him from a year ago from analysts. 
His gross stats don't even tell the whole story.  His per start numbers make him a WR1 - and he'll be starting next year.  

Dixon looked pretty good, but the sample size was small, the competition was none, and the production came at the end of the season.  Calling him a legit 3 down back is much more of a statement than calling him a JAG.  He's an average athlete, plays smaller than his listed size, doesn't have much draft pedigree and simply doesn't stand out to me.  I'll gladly bet against him beating out Collins, and don't see him being fantasy relevant in the short-term unless he does.  And that's assuming the team doesn't address the position in the draft. 
Well, I didn't call him an elite 3 down back. I just meant that he's good between the tackles, good at pass blocking, and good as a receiver (and some of that is based on pre-draft scouting that I read - not the small NFL sample). I don't know that he's great at any of those aspects, but I think he'll be good enough to beat out either Collins or Allen, if not both of them. As for playing smaller, that's not what I've read. He supposedly has a lot of power/leg drive which would make him a nice short yardage guy. I'm not saying anyone should pay a premium for him or hinge their season on him being their RB2... I'm just saying he presents a good value right now.

Ware's contract is up at the end of the season, and is only guaranteed for 333K this season.  
So he'll be on the team in 2018. I'm not trying to guess where Ware will be in 2019, but I think he'll steal enough snaps to bring Hunt's value down in the eyes of dynasty owners. Even if I liked Hunt a lot, I'd probably wait a year to buy or would try an in-season trade.

I do think the Dolphins bring someone in.  If it's someone like CJ, I'll happily bet on Drake winning the job, and buy him at a heavily reduced rate. 
And that's why you have him ranked so high. I'm just saying why I don't. If Drake was a stock, I'd gladly take a short position.

The only thing you showed was that the Texans were a bad team this year.  Again, it makes zero sense to compare his gross garbage time numbers to players with less garbage time. Watch the guy play.  He's better than Keenan Allen.  
I think it makes a lot of sense. Garbage time numbers are easier to compile and mean less when it comes to projecting future stats. That's why I say he's at risk of dropping the most. If Keenan could luck into some of that sweet, sweet low hanging garbage time fruit while Hopkins' dries up, Keenan will easily surpass Hopkins in most rankings next year. If they both have a normal amount, I think Keenan out produces Hopkins. I don't mean to make this about Keenan vs. Hopkins, but they are similar talents at a similar age with pretty different rankings. I suspect it's just due to the garbage time stats inflating one's value.

Thomas' TDs are very likely to increase.  He finished WR6 with 5 TDs on the season.  He scored more points last year with fewer targets and with Cook on the roster.  If you're not sold on his talent, then of course move him before his situation changes.  If you are, don't overthink it. 
I'm not saying he's a scrub. Just that if NO brings in a decent TE or decent slot WR (they were missing both this year) OR if Brees declines, then Thomas stands to lose a lot of value in a 12 month period. I feel very confident at least one of Thomas or Kamara will lose a lot of dynasty value in 12 months. If the team regresses back to the mediocrity of the three years before this one, then both could take a hit.

Last year it was his value being tied to Tanny and his TD rate.  This year he had his best season with Jay Cutler and was one of the best redzone WRs in the league, according to PFF.  He's been a target hog for 4 years straight now, in 2 different systems, with 2 different coaches, and 3+ different QBs.  You're late the party, my man.  Once Landry signs, I'll gladly compare his contract to those DeSean and Pryor got.
Maybe you're right. I definitely can't shake the feeling that Landry is overrated af. He's like Amendola without the injuries, but nobody ever thought Dola deserved to get paid like a WR1 when healthy. They both have football value, but neither should be the focus of a good offense. Perhaps I'm just too stubborn here, to the point where I just won't ever be attending the party. If Landry maintains his value, I might never be willing to pay that price. He's always been "the guy who catches 10 yard receptions on 3rd and 15" to me.

His gross stats don't even tell the whole story.  His per start numbers make him a WR1 - and he'll be starting next year.  
Yeah, for sure he'll be starting. But his OC will be gone (and maybe his elite RB) and AB will still be in his prime. And don't be the guy who says Bell leaving would be good for Juju. They're not vying for the same targets, but more importantly, a less effective offense is never a good thing. More first downs = more plays = more FF points to go around. Minor point: Ben doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to age as well as Brees/Brady/Manning, so that's another risk factor I see with Juju. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind at least 30% of my takes are going to be dead wrong for reasons that may or may not be predictable. I'm not trying to criticize your rankings. Just pointing out where I see some discrepancies in value compared to my own value assessments, and then giving the logic behind it for the sake of discussion. As a result of this thread I'll definitely be paying more attention to offseason articles about guys like Drake, Collins, and Landry to see if there's something I'm missing.

I think it makes a lot of sense. Garbage time numbers are easier to compile and mean less when it comes to projecting future stats. That's why I say he's at risk of dropping the most. If Keenan could luck into some of that sweet, sweet low hanging garbage time fruit while Hopkins' dries up, Keenan will easily surpass Hopkins in most rankings next year. If they both have a normal amount, I think Keenan out produces Hopkins. I don't mean to make this about Keenan vs. Hopkins, but they are similar talents at a similar age with pretty different rankings. I suspect it's just due to the garbage time stats inflating one's value.
Everything else is reasonable.  I just can't get over your stance here, however.  Do you have anything tangible to support your stance on garbage time production?  

Even assuming you're right - you know what else is conducive to production?  Playing with Philip Rivers.  It doesn't even matter who it is, his top option puts up numbers.  (We know this because Allen has missed so much time.)  The notion that Hopkins' situation is what's separating him from Keenan Allen, by inflating his production, is just so far out there to me.  Put Hopkins in LA with Rivers and he puts up Antonio Brown numbers.  Put Allen in HOU with the guys Hopkins has played with and he's a WR2, maybe.  They are not similar talents.  

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on so many guys. I didn't take it as criticism and really I do appreciate it. 

On the note of Juju, I'm of the school of thought that an aging Ben may actually play into Juju's advantage fantasy-wise.  This assumes he stays in the slot and either Bryant or someone else occupies the what might be thought of as the traditional #2 receiver position.

With a general trend in the NFL to get the ball out of the QB's hands quicker, with the Steelers already limiting Ben's QB sneaks, I can guess (but only guess) that as his skills decline, he's going to be getting rid of the ball quicker, less time dancing in the pocket as is his forte.  To me, that lines up exactly with what Juju has excelled at, the slants, drags and screens out of the slot.

I don't think he's surpassing Brown anytime soon, and I think next year owners are going to have to live through some 3-40, 4-55 type of games.  But over the next few years, I'm not too concerned about him having enough volume to be a solid WR2 with WR1 upside.

Everything else is reasonable.  I just can't get over your stance here, however.  Do you have anything tangible to support your stance on garbage time production?  

Even assuming you're right - you know what else is conducive to production?  Playing with Philip Rivers.  It doesn't even matter who it is, his top option puts up numbers.  (We know this because Allen has missed so much time.)  The notion that Hopkins' situation is what's separating him from Keenan Allen, by inflating his production, is just so far out there to me.  Put Hopkins in LA with Rivers and he puts up Antonio Brown numbers.  Put Allen in HOU with the guys Hopkins has played with and he's a WR2, maybe.  They are not similar talents.  

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on so many guys. I didn't take it as criticism and really I do appreciate it. 
I guess it's the fact that I've watched so much of Hopkins and just don't come away thinking he's elite. I've said it before so I hate to bore you by repeating it, but he looks like a young Crabtree to me. Great hands, great intermediate routes, but not an elite separator and not really electric with the ball in his hands. If Crabtree had a bunch of risky desperation shots fired at him against half-hearted defensive efforts, he'd have stacked up the stats, too. 

You're not wrong about Rivers being good. That's part of the reason Keenan doesn't need the target volume Hopkins does... career 67% catch rate vs. 56%.

I guess time will tell where Keenan and Hopkins stand talent-wise. They're both 25 right now, so plenty of football left to be played. I feel confident they are similar talents.

As for garbage time production, I thought it was just a well known fact that garbage time production is the low hanging fruit of fantasy football? If I really cared I guess I could throw some numbers together. But as it stands right now, I've already wasted too much time on fantasy football this week to justify that kind of time investment. I'll make a sticky note though to run some numbers next time I need a break from work.

On the note of Juju, I'm of the school of thought that an aging Ben may actually play into Juju's advantage fantasy-wise.  This assumes he stays in the slot and either Bryant or someone else occupies the what might be thought of as the traditional #2 receiver position.

With a general trend in the NFL to get the ball out of the QB's hands quicker, with the Steelers already limiting Ben's QB sneaks, I can guess (but only guess) that as his skills decline, he's going to be getting rid of the ball quicker, less time dancing in the pocket as is his forte.  To me, that lines up exactly with what Juju has excelled at, the slants, drags and screens out of the slot.

I don't think he's surpassing Brown anytime soon, and I think next year owners are going to have to live through some 3-40, 4-55 type of games.  But over the next few years, I'm not too concerned about him having enough volume to be a solid WR2 with WR1 upside.
It takes a smart, dedicated QB who spends a lot of time in the film room reading pre-snap defenses and learning defensive tendencies to pull that off effectively. Brady/Brees/Manning all had/have that kind of determination and dedication. You think Ben does? Maybe I'm judgmental, but he doesn't seem that smart OR dedicated.

It takes a smart, dedicated QB who spends a lot of time in the film room reading pre-snap defenses and learning defensive tendencies to pull that off effectively. Brady/Brees/Manning all had/have that kind of determination and dedication. You think Ben does? Maybe I'm judgmental, but he doesn't seem that smart OR dedicated.
That's cause Ben isn't.  He is the guy who is going to hold the ball too long sometimes looking for the big shot.  That's why he and Arians worked so well together because that's exactly what Arians wanted to do.  Haley on the other hand did what he could to incorporate some shorter routes more often with screens, dump offs, crosses and the like than Arians would have (not that Arians didn't but it's not his go to, just like Haley's go to is the shorter style with some deep shots).  Both ran really great offenses for the Steelers but they were opposites in their philosophy it seems.  I'm not worried about JuJu moving forward and like you said he'll have some 3-40, 4-55 type of games, he isn't supplanting AB anytime soon but he's on a team he can develop (yes he's still doing that at 21 years old), and improve his craft while playing on an elite skilled team.  He's set up for success throughout his career, with who he has to learn from, the team being successful, learning that stuff to either use himself on the Steelers or elsewhere.  

In regards to your comment and that of @Zyphros, I don't know if Ben is smart or not or how he'll adjust to a decline in skills.  It's guesswork, really.  I guess for me, I think of two generalized primary areas of decline for a QB as they age:  mobility and touch/speed on downfield throws and deep balls.  I don't know if those will be Ben's primary areas of decline, but I think those are safe statements for QBs at large.

To me, Brown is going to suffer more than Juju in a declining QB situation.  Again, it's all relative - Brown is an amazing talent, so when I say suffer, I feel like Ben's decline will knock him off the undisputed WR1 perch.

On a different tack, this is more philosophical for me, but when I look around the league at the number of stalwart QBs who are going to be leaving the league soon (Brees, Rivers, Ben, and Eli come to mind) along with the perennial teams that can't find a QB, it seems like more teams than not are going to be facing a deficit at QB.  I'm buying on WR who can thrive in the short, quick-release passing game as coaches try to find a way to do more with less at the QB spot.  Kupp and Juju were my targets this past year trying out that strategy.

On a different tack, this is more philosophical for me, but when I look around the league at the number of stalwart QBs who are going to be leaving the league soon (Brees, Rivers, Ben, and Eli come to mind) along with the perennial teams that can't find a QB, it seems like more teams than not are going to be facing a deficit at QB.  I'm buying on WR who can thrive in the short, quick-release passing game as coaches try to find a way to do more with less at the QB spot.  Kupp and Juju were my targets this past year trying out that strategy.
That's an interesting philosophy going forward.  I'm pretty excited about the new QB's coming into the league this year specifically so the deficit in your mind, is young QB and young WR growing together in mine.  Either way they are targets for future fantasy seasons.  I think those WR's you listed as targets are more about talent than trying to target guys who thrive in the short passing game.  We've seen more WR's in the last while that aren't height weight speed gods be more and more successful and if you haven't already shouldn't think those are requirements to be a good WR.  

It's always cyclical like that, when someone disappears from relevance (retirement or whatever other reason), someone new arises to take their spots.  This year or 5 years down the road we don't know, but I'm confident there will be at least 3 QB's this year that will become at least serviceable in the league, with the potential to be more.  

Users who are viewing this thread