What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colston (2 Viewers)

Before the season I offered Super Mart and a 3rd for Colston and was rejected. Sometimes it's the trades you don't make.

I was wrong about him this season. He's a situational start at best.
He's gotta start doing something now with Cooks done, doesn't he?

Doesn't he?
I have a feeling Colston's role is going to be unchanged, but I could be wrong. I think Kenny Stills benefits, and I think Pierre Thomas could be a ppr goldmine when he returns.
Watching him play I honestly think he's close to being done. But the opportunity now is huge with Cooks out. Like a pedestrian RB maybe the potential volume will help.

But man he's dropped a ton of easy catches this season. I don't know what the official drop total is but he's had a lot of easy passes he's dropped. Seems like 1-2 per game.

I was wrong about him this season. He's a situational start at best.
He's gotta start doing something now with Cooks done, doesn't he?

Doesn't he?
I have a feeling Colston's role is going to be unchanged, but I could be wrong. I think Kenny Stills benefits, and I think Pierre Thomas could be a ppr goldmine when he returns.
Watching him play I honestly think he's close to being done. But the opportunity now is huge with Cooks out. Like a pedestrian RB maybe the potential volume will help.

But man he's dropped a ton of easy catches this season. I don't know what the official drop total is but he's had a lot of easy passes he's dropped. Seems like 1-2 per game.
He's catching like 50% of his passes. But Brees keeps passing to him for some reason...

I think it's because with Sproles and Moore gone, Colston's one of the few top guys in the passing game Brees knows and trusts. I haven't seen Colston struggle too often to get open. He is getting open so Brees is throwing it to him. The problem is Colston's dropping a lot of balls he used to catch with ease in the past.

With Cooks done, I gotta think Colston continues to be a guy Brees will throw to a lot. He's sitting on the WW in my league (I drafted him and cut him after the GB game). I'm gonna spend about 50% of my remaining FAAB to go get him today to replace Cooks. It's too much given what he's done so far but I don't think his role will decrease now and the Saints have some good matchups the rest of the way. So what the hell. If he doesn't pan out as my WR4 I'll hit the WW again.

STRONGEST POSSIBILITIES FOR RELEASE OR PAY CUTS:

WR Marques Colston (due $7 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $9.7 million; $5.4 million dead money; $3.3 million net cap savings)

Thoughts: Colston's departure would be the most emotional since Deuce McAllister. But his production clearly doesn't match his salary anymore. The only way Colston would come back is at a significantly-reduced rate. The question is whether Colston would want to do that after taking such a physical pounding for nine years, or if he might even consider retirement.

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston is considered a candidate for a pay cut.

Colston is due $6.9M in base salary and is set to count $9.7M against the cap. At age 32 (in June) and coming off a pedestrian 59-902-5, it's far too rich. He's essentially a No. 4 pass-game option at this point, behind Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks and Kenny Stills. The cap-strapped Saints can't afford to give Colston any hometown preference even though he's spent all nine years of his career with the team.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Jan 15 - 10:19 AM

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston is reportedly amenable to a pay cut.
Due $6.9 million and set to count $9.7 million against the cap, Colston is a prime candidate for a cut. Per Cole, Colston is willing to accept a smaller cut, but "may" balk if asked to take a significant reduction. Coming off a season where he was highly mediocre before Brandin Cooks' injury, we wouldn't be shocked if Colston were released outright. The Saints have one of the league's worst cap situations.

Source: Bleacher Report
Jan 20 - 7:29 PM

While Colston's stat line for the season pales in comparison to his prime years, they are still very respectable numbers, especially considering his place in the pecking order for targets. Even at his age, I imagine that several teams would be interested were he to become available. He would be a very capable second option, who still possesses rare size and decent hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
2015 cap is around $140 mill. The Saints are at $164 mill with their top 51 players.

The Saints are going to be doing a lot of cutting/restructures. My guess is Colston,

Thomas, and B Watson are gone. This isn't a situation like Arizona's with a one

player cut(Fitzgerald) and your looking a lot better.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett's best guess is that the Saints bring back Marques Colston at a "significantly reduced rate."

Colston, who struggled to a 59-902-5 line at age 31 last year, will not be back at his $6.9M base salary and $9.7M cap charge. The Saints likely want to work out a renegotiation though, as he's a core leader and has the size (6'4/225) to be an asset even as his athletic ability continues to decline. Triplett notes that the franchise has worked out late-career pay cuts with leaders such as Deuce McAllister, Jonathan Vilma and Roman Harper, among others.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 10 - 9:28 AM

this is not a surprise at all. he doesn't want to play anywhere else, i think, and the market wasn't going to work in his favor at this stage of his career. i think brees, payton value continuity - especially given the struggles associated with the vets leaving the team last year - to the team and Colston is definitely that. it will be interesting to see what he has left in the tank.

this is not a surprise at all. he doesn't want to play anywhere else, i think, and the market wasn't going to work in his favor at this stage of his career. i think brees, payton value continuity - especially given the struggles associated with the vets leaving the team last year - to the team and Colston is definitely that. it will be interesting to see what he has left in the tank.
Can't believe he's worth $6.9M even if the Saints were able to kick the cap hit down the road.

Boy that cap number keeps dwindling.

I'm a little surprised, I thought they could cut him and resign him. Brees wants him, Payton wants him, he may not really fit in another offense, it all makes sense that he take a cut and stays, but that extra vet money is still there and it's going to come out of someone's pocket and they have more work to do.

Actually it might have already happened, maybe that's what happened with Pierre, they had to make a choice.

I for one am glad he's staying even with his skills declining. He's still versital and a nice red zone option with his size.

Brees only has so long left as a top QB and even then he seems to have peaked. With all the young WRs, I can see wanting a veteran to show them the ropes and advance their learning experience. Many teams wait 3 years for some WRs to develop. The Saints rook WRs looked good already, but that was fortunate. I could see keeping him around.

Marques Colston accepted a significant reduction in salary to remain with the Saints.

By reworking his contract, Colston dropped his overall cap charge for 2015 from $9.7 million to $6.5 million, according to a source. Overall, he’ll receive $3.8 million in salary and bonuses.

Colston has base salaries of $1.445 million in 2015 and $2.65 million in 2016.
Looks like he took a pay cut for an almost guaranteed two year/~$8M deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Marques Colston expects to have his practice reps "managed" throughout the year.

Colston, 32, sat out all of OTAs and has been a spectator at minicamp. Coming off a down 2014 that "hurt him badly" mentally and physically, Colston returns rejuvenated and ready to lead a very inexperienced receiving corps. There's a solid chance he leads the team in targets and touchdowns, making Colston a potential value grab at his current ADP that sits in the 11th round.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Jun 17 - 8:33 AM

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston agreed to a $3.2 million pay cut in the offseason, and also sliced his 2016 base salary from $7.7 million to $3.2 million.

Although some have called for Colston to play an expanded role this season, he was one of the least effective receivers in football last year, turned 32 in the offseason, and is only back in New Orleans because he took a gigantic pay cut. We wouldn't be shocked to see Brandon Coleman and/or Nick Toon begin to push for Colston's snaps on early downs as the year moves along.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 11 - 10:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston went catch-less in the Saints' third preseason game.

Colston didn't play on the Saints' first snap of the game, but entered on the second play from scrimmage, manning slot receiver with Brandin Cooks and Brandon Coleman outside. Colston was targeted on a red-zone pass in the first quarter, but Drew Brees' throw was broken up by Texans ILB Brian Cushing. Colston may no longer technically be a starter, which is something of a concern for his playing time. Now 32 years old, Colston is not a great bet to improve significantly on last year's 59-902-5 receiving line.

Aug 30 - 6:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston went catch-less in the Saints' third preseason game.

Colston didn't play on the Saints' first snap of the game, but entered on the second play from scrimmage, manning slot receiver with Brandin Cooks and Brandon Coleman outside. Colston was targeted on a red-zone pass in the first quarter, but Drew Brees' throw was broken up by Texans ILB Brian Cushing. Colston may no longer technically be a starter, which is something of a concern for his playing time. Now 32 years old, Colston is not a great bet to improve significantly on last year's 59-902-5 receiving line.

Aug 30 - 6:37 PM
Saying he was catch-less in the 3rd game - where the starters typically play a full or close to it 1st half - is a bit misleading as NO only had their starters in for the first drive. I think Cooks had 2 targets, Ingram 1, Colston 1, Hill 1, Watson 1. Colston didn't play after that drive, Coleman did.

Not sure exactly what to expect from Colston this year but I dont see him falling off a cliff from being a WR3. Im sure Cooks will get the most targets by a landslide, but Colston's targets/game last year werent all that different with Cooks in the lineup (5.9) vs Cooks out of the lineup (6.6). With Graham and Stills gone, as well as their 200+ targets, I think its reasonable to think Colston will see 120+ targets again, will likely means 70-80 receptions. Everyone thinks he's lost a step or 2, but his YPR last year was 15.3 which was his highest since 2009.

His upside is undoubtedly limited at this point, but his floor has to be higher than any other WR going around him. In my draft the other night, WRs were drafted early and often, so I picked the value at all the other positions that fell and ended up taking Colston as WR47. Not happy with my WRs, but Colston should work as a WR3/4 for me I think.

Users who are viewing this thread