What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colston (1 Viewer)

NREC34 said:
Depends on league size. He's been cut and not picked up for a couple of weeks in my 10 team with short bench. In my 12 team with long bench someone has him rostered.
Not cutting him, but benching him for Hankerson (16-team league).

He'll probably go off for 30+ points now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It goes without saying, but dynasty value is now zero.

Sort of kicking myself for holding a year to long in several leagues, but when I look back at it he cost me zilcho to start with.

Doubt I will cut him in dynasty but I do wonder if he might spring a surprise retirement on us.

It goes without saying, but dynasty value is now zero.

Sort of kicking myself for holding a year to long in several leagues, but when I look back at it he cost me zilcho to start with.

Doubt I will cut him in dynasty but I do wonder if he might spring a surprise retirement on us.
I posted a quote by Harper from a year ago and it's turning out to be prophetic. I believe his knees are shot and he'll be done after this year.

Dropping him in dynasty? Holy over-reaction batman. Colston has 3 awful games, a DNP, and a bye his last five games -- he's definitely been brutal. But... the first four weeks of the year he played well (82 - 1192 pace) so it's pretty unlikely he just suddenly became too old / whatever to play magically between weeks four and five.

Three bad games could easily be random variance, particularly at the WR position. There's also a chance his body is just worn out and he's done, but in typical dynasty formats with give or take 100 WRs likely rostered, flat out cutting a guy who has been productive for years due to 3 bad games isn't a great decision.

For what it's worth, he was dropped in my 12 team league and has been sitting there on the wire for over a week. That let's you know how others view him...

Dropping him in dynasty? Holy over-reaction batman. Colston has 3 awful games, a DNP, and a bye his last five games -- he's definitely been brutal. But... the first four weeks of the year he played well (82 - 1192 pace) so it's pretty unlikely he just suddenly became too old / whatever to play magically between weeks four and five.

Three bad games could easily be random variance, particularly at the WR position. There's also a chance his body is just worn out and he's done, but in typical dynasty formats with give or take 100 WRs likely rostered, flat out cutting a guy who has been productive for years due to 3 bad games isn't a great decision.
I am sure he will have a big game or two but the guy has never had an 8 game stretch this poor. And I don't think 82-1192-4 is what people were hoping for when they drafted him as a top 12 WR. And his current pace is 54-684-2.

Dropped him in a 12 team redraft, non ppr 2 weeks ago -- should have dropped him before then, but i always like what the guy did with limited speed.

I agree it's dumb to cut him in dynasty but his knees have been a ticking time bomb. They could be hurting him enough that he doesn't want to do it anymore.

I agree it's dumb to cut him in dynasty but his knees have been a ticking time bomb. They could be hurting him enough that he doesn't want to do it anymore.
Are you guys serious? Getting rid of him in dynasty is exactly what you should be doing. Trade or cut him for whatever you can get.

He's exactly the kind of player you don't hold onto for too long, and it looks like "too long" started at the end of last season.

Are you guys serious? Getting rid of him in dynasty is exactly what you should be doing. Trade or cut him for whatever you can get.

He's exactly the kind of player you don't hold onto for too long, and it looks like "too long" started at the end of last season.
I said don't cut him, but I'd trade him for whatever I could get.

I said don't cut him, but I'd trade him for whatever I could get.
I would agree. Some people may trade for someone like Colston on name value, even if the production hasn't been there this year.

Are you guys serious? Getting rid of him in dynasty is exactly what you should be doing. Trade or cut him for whatever you can get.He's exactly the kind of player you don't hold onto for too long, and it looks like "too long" started at the end of last season.
So you'd cut him for the likes of Santana Moss, Kevin Ogletree, Josh Morgan, or Tandon Doss? That's what we're talking about here. That's what's out there assuming typical league settings (12 x 25 or deeper). The chance that Colston's 3 bad games are variance is way greater than the chance that any of the poop available on the WW, or the fodder taking up your 24th, 25th, etc roster spot for that matter, offers any value.

There is ZERO trade market for an aging WR mired in a serious scoring slump. Rebuilders want youth, contenders want immediate production, and Colston offers neither. He's a clear hold and hope.

I cut him in redraft as someone dropped a very good player I can use right away. Even if Colston put up 10 points next week there's no way I risk starting him with what has happened with him this year. I'm over him and if someone picks him up and gets something out of him congrats.

There is ZERO trade market for an aging WR mired in a serious scoring slump. Rebuilders want youth, contenders want immediate production, and Colston offers neither. He's a clear hold and hope.
You should read that statement and ask yourself why do YOU want him?

Are you ever going to start him? If you do how many dog games will you have to suffer through before you get a breakout performance? That is presuming that we did not see his full upside during the first four games of the season.

For your specific league with 300 offensive players (non-IDP I presume) off the board then fine, let him be useless riding the pine, but for the rest of us there are better options. Heck take a flyer on Cole Beasley, Myles White, Nick Toon or Kris Durham. Santana Moss might be a push but I could see taking him over Colston, he's healthy and there are fewer options in that offense. I would also take Jericho Cotchery over Colston.

Are you guys serious? Getting rid of him in dynasty is exactly what you should be doing. Trade or cut him for whatever you can get.He's exactly the kind of player you don't hold onto for too long, and it looks like "too long" started at the end of last season.
So you'd cut him for the likes of Santana Moss, Kevin Ogletree, Josh Morgan, or Tandon Doss? That's what we're talking about here. That's what's out there assuming typical league settings (12 x 25 or deeper). The chance that Colston's 3 bad games are variance is way greater than the chance that any of the poop available on the WW, or the fodder taking up your 24th, 25th, etc roster spot for that matter, offers any value.

He was cut in one of my dynasty leagues for Marques Goodwin this week. The team that dropped him for Goodwin is clearly rebuilding, and I have no problem with the move. Colston did get snatched up by another team of course, but no one seems to think it was a huge mistake in dropping him for a young upside player at this point in his career. I think your assertion that only guys like Santana Moss/Josh Morgan would be available is slightly off, depends on your team makeup, if someone will pay anything for Colston in a trade, and what young players are out there.

I was able to trade Colston and Deangelo Williams in my 14 team Dynasty for Markus Wheaton and Doug Baldwin FWIW. I think Colston has a couple of years left in him and will have some good games yet, but I needed to start rebuilding. The team I traded them to is a lock for the playoffs and wanted to add a little depth at RB. I don't think I could have gotten much more for Colston at this point.

You should read that statement and ask yourself why do YOU want him?Are you ever going to start him? If you do how many dog games will you have to suffer through before you get a breakout performance? That is presuming that we did not see his full upside during the first four games of the season.

For your specific league with 300 offensive players (non-IDP I presume) off the board then fine, let him be useless riding the pine, but for the rest of us there are better options. Heck take a flyer on Cole Beasley, Myles White, Nick Toon or Kris Durham. Santana Moss might be a push but I could see taking him over Colston, he's healthy and there are fewer options in that offense. I would also take Jericho Cotchery over Colston.
Again, we're talking about 3 bad games from a 30 year old WR here. It's not like he's 35 and crapped the bed the entire season. There's definitely a non-zero chance that this is just a slump, and he's back to his old self either this year or next.

As far as the specifics, I'm in a bunch of leagues, and obviously in a 10 x 20 or something this is a very different question, so YMMV. Either way, I personally think he's far more valuable than using the roster spot to churn flavor of the week WW garbage.

I was able to trade Colston and Deangelo Williams in my 14 team Dynasty for Markus Wheaton and Doug Baldwin FWIW. I think Colston has a couple of years left in him and will have some good games yet, but I needed to start rebuilding. The team I traded them to is a lock for the playoffs and wanted to add a little depth at RB. I don't think I could have gotten much more for Colston at this point.
Given the history with his knees, what makes you think this?

Torrey Holt is another guy whose knees finally gave out and cut his career short.

cstu said:
jmo87usc said:

Torrey Holt is another guy whose knees finally gave out and cut his career short.
I don't think that he is 100% certain to be done. His knees are rough for sure, and this might be the end of the line. But it might not, and the three bad games might just be three bad games. If he continues to suck the rest of the year, then I'll be OK totally writing him off. Obviously, in the few places I own the guy, I'm more than willing to field offers. But on the flip side, if he were sitting free on waivers I'd probably pick him up in most leagues where I don't own him. IMO his track record makes him worth considerably more than flavor of the week longshot guys, on the off chance that the slump is just a slump, and nothing more.

I know it's just one play but my concern is the alligator arms he displayed week 8 against the Bills. I think it was a slant or skinny post around the 6-7 yard line that if he caught it, absorbed what looked like a pretty light hit, he could have walked into the end zone. It wasn't as if Brees hung him out to dry in front of Bernard Pollard and turns out Colston never even got hit on the play.

Just one data point but that seemed to put an exclamation point on his poor play all season. The dude doesn't get separation to begin with so if he's not fighting for balls then no way he is gonna be Drew's go-to guy like in the past.

cstu said:
jmo87usc said:

Really just a guess. I know he is experiencing trouble with the knees right now, but as of five weeks ago he still looked ok. I always try to keep in mind how tough NFL players are and how often they play through health conditions that a normal person would not work through. My guess was really based on the fact that he is only 30 and I think he can tough it out another 2 years. I may be way off though.

cstu said:
jmo87usc said:

cstu is right. I believe Colston has had 7 knee operations. That takes a fast toll, particularly in the NFL.

Marques Colston - WR - Saints
Marques Colston (knee) remained limited in Thursday's practice.
Colston got in just one limited practice last week before being declared out on Sunday. His status for this week's game against the Cowboys is unclear. Even if Colston does suit up, he'll be hard to trust as a WR3 at less than 100 percent.

Nov 7 - 4:34 PM

.......if he is listed as probable i'll give him 1 last shot this week as my WR3 before i put a bullet in him

Marques Colston - WR - Saints

Marques Colston (knee) remained limited in Thursday's practice.

Colston got in just one limited practice last week before being declared out on Sunday. His status for this week's game against the Cowboys is unclear. Even if Colston does suit up, he'll be hard to trust as a WR3 at less than 100 percent.

Nov 7 - 4:34 PM

.......if he is listed as probable i'll give him 1 last shot this week as my WR3 before i put a bullet in him
Let me save you the regret right now. Just say NO.

For me personally, I'm still not buying. My WR depth is good enough I'm in no rush to get him back in or overreact to 1 diamond in the rough of a game.

If he wants to get back in my starting lineup, he'll have to burn me for sitting him 2 weeks in a row...

I should've given everyone the heads up that I was sitting him this week for the first time all year. My apologies. I'll be sure to warn all of you if I decide to play him next week.

Yeah, I'm still not completely sold. NO has a pretty tough schedule the rest of the year and I could definitely see this guy regressing back to what he was doing most of this season. Sure, he could put up some nice games such as this, but it's going to be so inconsistent with some likely duds that I won't feel comfortable plugging him in over a lot of other guys.

Macdaddy_2004 said:
:bye:

Don't drop a guy who is the potenital #1 option for Drew Brees who not to mention has a history of performing well
It was a nice performance but you had to sit through 8 consecutive mediocre to horrible performances (and a DNP) to get that performance.

Not sure that kind of ROI is worth the self congratulatory pat on the back.

Could it be the start of something big? Sure, why not? But it could also just be a blip on the radar of a terrible season.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

Don't drop a guy who is the potenital #1 option for Drew Brees who not to mention has a history of performing well
It was a nice performance but you had to sit through 8 consecutive mediocre to horrible performances (and a DNP) to get that performance.Not sure that kind of ROI is worth the self congratulatory pat on the back.

Could it be the start of something big? Sure, why not? But it could also just be a blip on the radar of a terrible season.
This just isn't true. He scored double digit point weeks 1-4 in ppr. Since then he's been hurt. He finally looks healthy. If he stays that way he'll be a solid WR2.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

It was a nice performance but you had to sit through 8 consecutive mediocre to horrible performances (and a DNP) to get that performance.Not sure that kind of ROI is worth the self congratulatory pat on the back.

This just isn't true. He scored double digit point weeks 1-4 in ppr. Since then he's been hurt. He finally looks healthy. If he stays that way he'll be a solid WR2.
He was limited in practice all week, he was listed as Questionable for last night's game, and he hardly set the world on fire with his speed during the game. He didn't "look healthy" at all.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

He was limited in practice all week, he was listed as Questionable for last night's game, and he hardly set the world on fire with his speed during the game. He didn't "look healthy" at all.
Looked fine to me. He's never been a burner, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. He's a big and versatile. He can play any WR position which helps create mismatches.

I'm not saying he is going to light the world on fire but better than some of the cr@p you guys are sitting him for. Especially in deep leagues.

He was solid weeks 1-4 had a rough couple of weeks.

Not droppable and what we saw last night was probably more of what Colston should do the rest of the season than not.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

Looked fine to me. He's never been a burner, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. He's a big and versatile. He can play any WR position which helps create mismatches.
I saw a guy who was gimpy and slow and only able to produce because the Dallas defense was banged up. I'm guessing you were watching a different game, maybe one from 2008.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

It is absolutely true, he had one good game in week one then was a borderline WR2 for three weeks before going into the can for five games. This guy was drafted as a WR1 or high end WR2 at the worst, that is not good ROI. I am not sure why people have faith that this game was not the outlier.

I am not saying to not roster him, I may even try to pick him back up but I am not sure that I would take him over a guy like Rueben Randle (also on my leagues wire). And even if he is rostered is he really a guy you trot out there weekly with confidence?

Macdaddy_2004 said:

I saw a guy who was gimpy and slow and only able to produce because the Dallas defense was banged up. I'm guessing you were watching a different game, maybe one from 2008.
Ok. Opinions are like #######s. We all have one.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

It is absolutely true, he had one good game in week one then was a borderline WR2 for three weeks before going into the can for five games. This guy was drafted as a WR1 or high end WR2 at the worst, that is not good ROI. I am not sure why people have faith that this game was not the outlier.

I am not saying to not roster him, I may even try to pick him back up but I am not sure that I would take him over a guy like Rueben Randle (also on my leagues wire). And even if he is rostered is he really a guy you trot out there weekly with confidence?
That's the bottom line for me.

Even during the first 4 weeks he was only #29 in PPG in PPR. That's decent but a sub-5 point game during the playoffs is going to kill you.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

I watched the one where he had 7/107/1. Not sure what year it was, nor do I care.

Macdaddy_2004 said:

It is absolutely true, he had one good game in week one then was a borderline WR2 for three weeks before going into the can for five games. This guy was drafted as a WR1 or high end WR2 at the worst, that is not good ROI. I am not sure why people have faith that this game was not the outlier.I am not saying to not roster him, I may even try to pick him back up but I am not sure that I would take him over a guy like Rueben Randle (also on my leagues wire). And even if he is rostered is he really a guy you trot out there weekly with confidence?
Look at it how you want, but he didn't have 8 straight mediocre weeks. And you can't blame players for injuries just like you can't predict them

Macdaddy_2004 said:

It is absolutely true, he had one good game in week one then was a borderline WR2 for three weeks before going into the can for five games. This guy was drafted as a WR1 or high end WR2 at the worst, that is not good ROI. I am not sure why people have faith that this game was not the outlier.I am not saying to not roster him, I may even try to pick him back up but I am not sure that I would take him over a guy like Rueben Randle (also on my leagues wire). And even if he is rostered is he really a guy you trot out there weekly with confidence?
Look at it how you want, but he didn't have 8 straight mediocre weeks. And you can't blame players for injuries just like you can't predict them
5-68-1

4-63-0

5-71-0

7-96-0

2-15-0

1-11-0

2-18-0

DNP

7-107-1

That looks like a pretty fat mediocre sandwich. If you must call 7-96-0 better than mediocre I will concede that it is average (below average in my league but whatever). And he was only listed on the injury report for the 7-96-0, DNP & 7-107-1 games.

4-63-0 & 5-71-0 are not anything better than mediocre, when you can find a dozen guys on the waiver wire (probably more) who performed better than him.

Remember this guy was drafted to be a #1WR (or a huge steal as a #2 WR) in virtually every fantasy league. He has had two good games and is currently ranked as the 44th WR in my league in PPG. Where does he rank in your league?

I am not saying he is terrible or that his career is done rather that this doesn't seem like a reliable option to plug into your lineup on a weekly basis. He's someone you pull off your bench and hope for the best when one of your good players at the position gets hurt. That's not what you paid for when you drafted him.

He was dropped in my league last week and I picked him up for speculative purposes (I dropped Boykin for him instead of Marlon Brown...so not too happy about that). I was happy with the performance last night, but I'm not exactly sold on him being "back".

I'll likely be forced to start him over the likes of Stevie Johnson (if he even plays) next week, and with Terrance Williams as my only other reasonable WR3 option, Colston has likely taken that spot for now. If I had a reasonable option however, he'd be on the bench at least one more week.

His 1st game of any relevance in a month. I feel pretty okay with him on my bench. In a dynasty. Am the #1 seed in my playoffs. I still plan on trading him this offseason and see what I can get for him.

Rotoworld:

Coach Sean Payton doesn't expect the nagging foot woes Marques Colston battled last season to go away.
It's March, but Payton is already saying that Colston's practice time will have to be monitored again this season. It's obviously not ideal. Colston set four-year lows in catches (75), yards (943) and touchdowns (5) last year while also watching his YPC sink for the third straight season. The 31-year-old (in June) remains a WR3 as the top wideout in Drew Brees' offense, but there's very little explosive upside left here.

Source: Larry Holder on Twitter

Colston the last eight weeks of 2013: 48-601-4, good for PPR WR12. Sometimes 3 bad games is just 3 bad games. He's probably a decent buy low right now in dynasty -- tons of owners will just remember the rough patch and see his age and sell for pennies on the dollar -- and Colston probably has a few years of good WR2 production in him if I had to guess. That is a steal at his current WR59 pricetag.

Users who are viewing this thread