What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colston (1 Viewer)

Colston the last eight weeks of 2013: 48-601-4, good for PPR WR12. Sometimes 3 bad games is just 3 bad games. He's probably a decent buy low right now in dynasty -- tons of owners will just remember the rough patch and see his age and sell for pennies on the dollar -- and Colston probably has a few years of good WR2 production in him if I had to guess. That is a steal at his current WR59 pricetag.
In spurts, yes, but I don't want to be the one guessing when he will have in his big games. 24/324/4 out of that 48/601/4 in the 2nd half happened in 3 games. He had a total of 24/277/0 in the other 5 games.

Colston the last eight weeks of 2013: 48-601-4, good for PPR WR12. Sometimes 3 bad games is just 3 bad games. He's probably a decent buy low right now in dynasty -- tons of owners will just remember the rough patch and see his age and sell for pennies on the dollar -- and Colston probably has a few years of good WR2 production in him if I had to guess. That is a steal at his current WR59 pricetag.
In spurts, yes, but I don't want to be the one guessing when he will have in his big games. 24/324/4 out of that 48/601/4 in the 2nd half happened in 3 games. He had a total of 24/277/0 in the other 5 games.
That's virtually every WR. They all vary HUGELY from week to week. It's not a knock on Colston any more than it is on anyone else. It's also irrelevant -- who you finding at WR59 prices that offers anything close to eight games of WR1 upside?

That was a pretty good game he had against those fearsome Hawks.

Someone in another thread was talking about DJax and teams (supposedly) seeking to adjust to the big DBs, Colston was certainly there when the Saints needed him.

Also worth noting he caught 48 passes in the last 8 RS games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Article on Colston from the free FBGcontent right now:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=cummings_what_went_wrong_with_Marques_Colston_14

Against the much heralded Seahawks secondary Colston posted 11-144-1 in a second half comeback attempt. Most of his damage came on short crossing routes where the Saints seemed to confuse the Seahawks defense. He ran good routes as always, but even his 4th quarter touchdown came on what looked to be a coverage breakdown. As was the case most of the year, Colston still seemed able to get open against a soft zone but he really struggled against man coverage. More importantly, the Seahawks were one of the few teams that had the ability to limit Jimmy Graham (1 catch for 8 yards) and that made Colston a much bigger part of the game plan.
If the Saints get a really good WR or two in the draft this could really help Colston, he was able to turn it on later in the year and can still produce.

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston says the foot issues that hampered him in 2013 are no longer giving him fits.
"Feels completely different," Colston said. "No restrictions." Colston started slow last season, but if we extrapolated his final ten games out over a 16-game season, Colson would have put up a very respectable 98-1,213-8 receiving line. The top wideout in a Drew Brees-led offense, Colston is a back-end WR2.

Source: Ramon Vargas on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston - WR - Saints

Marques Colston reiterated that he has "no restrictions" from his past chronic foot woes.

"I feel really good," insisted Colston. "The foot I know was addressed earlier in the offseason. It's really not an issue. I've been able to get out here with really no restrictions and just run around and feel good." Still only 31 -- certainly not a past-prime age for wide receivers, Colston is commonly available in the seventh and eighth rounds of pre-training camp fantasy drafts.

Source: Biloxi Sun Herald

Jul 4 - 1:24 PM

I am all over Colston this year. A lot of receptions walked out the door, and Brees loves Colston. If he stays healthy he's going to out up some numbers.

Colston has become increasingly fragile, playing with knee and foot injuries. He says he's healthy - again - but I have little faith in him. He also has a habit of not disclosing his injuries which leaves owners hung out to dry. Brees trusts him but he's in decline. Buyer beware. He's a headache.

Colston is about to become a fantasy after thought, he was hardly playable last year
During a down year, he made WR27. I don't know what format you play, but he was definitely playable in my leagues. He had a stretch of very bad games, but in the end he put up decent numbers - even in one of his worst stat years. Going by the law of averages, he should improve assuming he hasn't hit a wall. At 31, he should have something left in the tank.

cloppbeast said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Colston is about to become a fantasy after thought, he was hardly playable last year
During a down year, he made WR27. I don't know what format you play, but he was definitely playable in my leagues. He had a stretch of very bad games, but in the end he put up decent numbers - even in one of his worst stat years. Going by the law of averages, he should improve assuming he hasn't hit a wall. At 31, he should have something left in the tank.
he wasn't in the top 50 fantasy WRs in the first 8 weeks of the season, which is kind of typical for him. midseason he was productive enough to be #30 WR. last 3rd of the season, he cracked the top 20. it was a down year for him certainly but, for fantasy purposes, i can't count on him. as a saints fan for almost 30 years, i would like to be wrong.

I feel like you could do worse for your WR3 than Colston. If he's still there in re-drafts I do this year in the mid-late rounds, you bet I'll be grabbing him. Why would you not want the #1 WR in one of the best offenses in the league?

I feel like you could do worse for your WR3 than Colston. If he's still there in re-drafts I do this year in the mid-late rounds, you bet I'll be grabbing him. Why would you not want the #1 WR in one of the best offenses in the league?
hes not the #1 passing option he is clearly behind Jimmy Graham

and NO has two young up and comers to take Colstons targets in Stills & Cooks

and like Saintfool said, the guy is a ghost the first half of most seasons.

hes not the #1 passing option he is clearly behind Jimmy Graham

and NO has two young up and comers to take Colstons targets in Stills & Cooks

and like Saintfool said, the guy is a ghost the first half of most seasons.
I still think he'll see more targets than Stills or Cooks. Graham is a beast, but Brees still looks for Colston. I think having a guy like Cooks across from him could open things up a bit more for Colston this year.

cloppbeast said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
he wasn't in the top 50 fantasy WRs in the first 8 weeks of the season, which is kind of typical for him. midseason he was productive enough to be #30 WR. last 3rd of the season, he cracked the top 20. it was a down year for him certainly but, for fantasy purposes, i can't count on him. as a saints fan for almost 30 years, i would like to be wrong.
He's currently going off of the board as a WR4, so he's really not a guy you should need to trust on a weekly basis. The other WRs you'll be considering him over in that area are guys like Tavon Austin and Emmanuel Sanders -- guys for whom Colston's "down year" would represent a career best. Colston had that brutal stretch from weeks 5 - 9 last year, sure; but then he rebounded to put up FF WR1 (WR12) numbers the last 8 games of the season from weeks 10 - 17. The rough stretch could easily just have been variance. I'm not expecting a top 12 year out of him at all, but I'm also not understanding the pushback on him being a really strong value as a redraft WR4. He's certainly on the downslope, and the knee / foot issues are a red flag -- but those things are certainly being priced in.

If you look at Colston's PPG for the last two years, Weeks 5-7 last year stand out as an anomaly. He was strong both before and after....

Colston was one of the steadiest producers from 2006-2012, putting up borderline WR1/WR2 ppg fantasy numbers every season. After one down year (where he was still a fantasy WR3), I'll buy him based on the chance of a bounceback.

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston - WR - Saints

Marques Colston says he feels healthier than he has in the last two years.

Colston has only missed one game over the last two seasons, but has been limited at times by foot woes. They appear to be in the rear-view mirror now, making him a value at his current late sixth-round ADP. In the third preseason game, Drew Brees targeted Colston four times in the first quarter, producing two catches and a 13-yard touchdown.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 1 - 10:00 AM

Colston was one of the steadiest producers from 2006-2012, putting up borderline WR1/WR2 ppg fantasy numbers every season. After one down year (where he was still a fantasy WR3), I'll buy him based on the chance of a bounceback.
Especially since he even says he is feeling better than he has. A healthier Colston means an even better Brees. Colston will have to step up in the redzone as he always does.

70/1000/9 is reasonable for him.

I've been drafting him a lot, as my WR4 in some cases (can start 4 WRs in FFPC). I noticed that as the later the drafts were, the earlier he would go. I think people started to catch on. I also found an odd report on him from FFPC that I couldn't find anywhere else. It could be nothing but it said he had to exit practice early on Aug 27 with an undisclosed injury and that he watched the rest of the practice from the sideline.

Especially since he even says he is feeling better than he has. A healthier Colston means an even better Brees. Colston will have to step up in the redzone as he always does.

70/1000/9 is reasonable for him.
That is about my projection for him, and he could have more Tds if teams give Graham the Calvin treatment.

Haden's fault?
Don't think so. Colston had zero targets today. Last season he had one game with 2 targets and another with 3. Every other start last season he was targeted at least 6 times. I'm guessing it's some sort of retribution for his fumble last week whether it's from Payton, Brees or the team...

what is this an elementary school shunning? if they (the saints) are professionals, they would have fed him since the git go. bull####.

The Saints offense is predicated on exploiting mismatches. If Haden was on Colston, that's not a mismatch. Zero targets is a bit extreme, but it was always a good bet that the ball was going someplace where Haden wasn't.

Starting a receiver on NO outside of Graham is always going to be a crapshoot. Colston is not nearly as high on the pecking order as he used to be. Cooks will eventually assume the second spot.

Those who were high on Colston this season didn't own him (or pay attention to) last season :)
You mean when he came back from his foot injury and put up low-end WR1 numbers over the second half of the season? I'm not going to try and excuse away today but if I tried it'd be equally as flawed as your reasoning.

According to Saints reporter Mike Triplett, the Browns "made it their mission to shut down New Orleans' downfield passing game" Sunday.
The Browns sold out to stop big plays, putting as many as seven defensive backs on the field at times. That led to 174 rushing yards and a 10-118-2 line for Jimmy Graham, but an airball for Marques Colston and a 3-17-0 line for Brandin Cooks. It's the first time in 87 games Colston didn't catch a pass

Those who were high on Colston this season didn't own him (or pay attention to) last season :)
You mean when he came back from his foot injury and put up low-end WR1 numbers over the second half of the season? I'm not going to try and excuse away today but if I tried it'd be equally as flawed as your reasoning.
I'm not worried at all about Colston. If anything, he's a great buy-low with Ingram dinged. Should still be a top-20 WR in my opinion. Also, he(and really the entire team) is far better at home. The Saints have their home opener this week.

According to Saints reporter Mike Triplett, the Browns "made it their mission to shut down New Orleans' downfield passing game" Sunday.
The Browns sold out to stop big plays, putting as many as seven defensive backs on the field at times. That led to 174 rushing yards and a 10-118-2 line for Jimmy Graham, but an airball for Marques Colston and a 3-17-0 line for Brandin Cooks. It's the first time in 87 games Colston didn't catch a pass
btw, I looked at the snap counts and I think this report is greatly exaggerated

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett suggests Marques Colston will see a bigger role while Jimmy Graham (shoulder) is sidelined.

Graham's shoulder sprain is severe enough that he's "highly questionable" for Week 7 and could also miss another game or two after that. As Triplett notes, Colston is the logical candidate to see more work in the middle of the field, on third downs and in the red zone -- areas where Graham typically dominates. Backup tight ends Ben Watson and Josh Hill are not really capable of doing Graham things in the pass game.

Related: Ben Watson, Jimmy Graham, Josh Hill

Source: ESPN.com
Oct 13 - 9:11 AM

Rotoworld:

Marques Colston caught 2-of-4 targets for 36 yards in New Orleans' Week 10 loss to the 49ers.

Although Colston made a huge catch on a fourth-quarter fourth down, he had an otherwise brutal day. One of his missed connections was a drop on a potential 81-yard touchdown, while the other was a pass where he allowed himself to get whipped for an interception. Colston now has just nine receptions over his past three games, and hasn't scored since Week 3. He's a middling WR4.

Nov 9 - 6:07 PM

I just cut this dud from my dynasty team. It feels so cathartic.

Of course he will explode now rest of season.

Users who are viewing this thread