What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bo Nix, DEN (2 Viewers)

Per Schefter:

Denver held a private workout with Bo Nix the day after his pro day. The night before the workout, the Broncos sent Nix three packets of offensive play installation. And the next morning, as they worked in the classroom with Nix, he “crushed it”, per a Broncos source.

The Broncos then took Nix from the classroom to the field, watched him throw for an hour, and were convinced they had a quarterback they wanted.

Very few QB prospects, similar to other positions, are locks to succeed everywhere. Oftentimes, it’s about the players skill set, natural strengths, and ability to execute within a system.

I did not love Bo Nix as a prospect, but he fits the archetype of what Sean Payton likes to do. He’ll be successful there, provided they can surround him with talent. He’s not a talent elevator, like CJ Stroud, but, based upon how he ran Oregon’s offense, and conceptually, the Ducks do a lot of what Brees did with NO, so the infrastructure is in place for him to do well.

Payton has never once made a player/skillset comparison between Nix and Mahomes.

What he has done several times, however, is reference the Mahomes draft pick as a lesson learned about waiting on a player you like (or trading down in hopes of scooping him up later) because of the risk of another team jumping ahead of you and sniping him. Which happened to him in NO with Andy Reid jumping ahead of the Saints to snipe Mahomes.

Last edited:
Last year I looked ahead to see what QB's would be available for the Broncos to draft. I watched Bo Nix play and thought this guy has to be one of the top two or three prospects. Nope! He has consistently been the 5th or 6th ranked QB. One of the things I noticed was that all of the other QB's have a "Special Sauce". Caleb is all around great. Jayden Daniels was an elite runner. Drake Maye had elite size and arm strength. JJ McCarthy was a winner and an elite athlete. Penix has an incredible arm. Bo didn't seem to have that elite extra talent that the rest had. Then I realized his "special sauce" was his brain. Nix is extremely smart and has a very fast processor. I think the public has been swayed by the argument that Bo only threw short passes. They saw that Bo was the sixth ranked QB so clearly he was the worst of the first round talent. Denver probably could have moved up to 8 and got Penix. Denver certainly could have beat the 4th and 5th round offer of the Vikings to the Jets but they didn't. I've heard that Bo was the third QB on Denver's board. I believe it. Denver didn't pick up one of the 30 free agent QB's. I think they had eyes for Bo and knew they could get him at 12. They saw him throw in person and were impressed. They gave him offensive installs to learn and he aced it. They know he can make all of the throws. They know he is an above average athlete.

Bo was the sixth QB off the board. Lets not forget this was an extremely talented group of prospects. I think there will be a synergistic effect with the combination of Bo Nix with Sean Payton. I'll admit I wanted Penix and I was a little bummed JJ went to the Vikings. I can see why people may not be super excited with the Bo Nix pick. I think he will be an acquired taste that Bronco fans will learn to love by the time the season rolls around.

Last year I looked ahead to see what QB's would be available for the Broncos to draft. I watched Bo Nix play and thought this guy has to be one of the top two or three prospects. Nope! He has consistently been the 5th or 6th ranked QB. One of the things I noticed was that all of the other QB's have a "Special Sauce". Caleb is all around great. Jayden Daniels was an elite runner. Drake Maye had elite size and arm strength. JJ McCarthy was a winner and an elite athlete. Penix has an incredible arm. Bo didn't seem to have that elite extra talent that the rest had. Then I realized his "special sauce" was his brain. Nix is extremely smart and has a very fast processor. I think the public has been swayed by the argument that Bo only threw short passes. They saw that Bo was the sixth ranked QB so clearly he was the worst of the first round talent. Denver probably could have moved up to 8 and got Penix. Denver certainly could have beat the 4th and 5th round offer of the Vikings to the Jets but they didn't. I've heard that Bo was the third QB on Denver's board. I believe it. Denver didn't pick up one of the 30 free agent QB's. I think they had eyes for Bo and knew they could get him at 12. They saw him throw in person and were impressed. They gave him offensive installs to learn and he aced it. They know he can make all of the throws. They know he is an above average athlete.

Bo was the sixth QB off the board. Lets not forget this was an extremely talented group of prospects. I think there will be a synergistic effect with the combination of Bo Nix with Sean Payton. I'll admit I wanted Penix and I was a little bummed JJ went to the Vikings. I can see why people may not be super excited with the Bo Nix pick. I think he will be an acquired taste that Bronco fans will learn to love by the time the season rolls around.

This is not a knock on Bo Nix at all but reading this all I could think of was Mac Jones getting drafted by the Pats.

This is not a knock on Bo Nix at all but reading this all I could think of was Mac Jones getting drafted by the Pats.
The difference is Bo is going to a much better situation. I trust Sean Payton more than Matt Patricia. Bo seems to have a better head on him than Mac.

I love the pick and can’t wait to watch him dominate.
At least we have something to look forward to. I was bummed when we didn't draft Fields. I've always much preferred drafting a QB than trading for one or signing one in free agency. Whether it works out or not it will be fun watching the process.

The difference is Bo is going to a much better situation. I trust Sean Payton more than Matt Patricia. Bo seems to have a better head on him than Mac.

Again...I am not comparing to Bo...just that it was exactly what was said about Mac.

Again...I am not comparing to Bo...just that it was exactly what was said about Mac.
I know. I am the one comparing him to Bo to show why I think he'll be more successful than Mac. This is the time to be looking on the bright side since this is who we got. Bo isn't the most exciting pick but I do see the possibilities.

I know. I am the one comparing him to Bo to show why I think he'll be more successful than Mac. This is the time to be looking on the bright side since this is who we got. Bo isn't the most exciting pick but I do see the possibilities.
Don't hire Matt Patricia as an OC and you at least have a fighting chance!

Agreed. I was fairly high on Mac Jones coming into that draft until the Pats picked him. It was a bad situation for him and I suspect his frustration with the staff lead him down the path of handling some of the situations he was put in poorly. I'm curious to see if he becomes a guy who has a resurrected career a few years down the road.

One of the things I noticed was that all of the other QB's have a "Special Sauce". Caleb is all around great. Jayden Daniels was an elite runner. Drake Maye had elite size and arm strength. JJ McCarthy was a winner and an elite athlete. Penix has an incredible arm. Bo didn't seem to have that elite extra talent that the rest had. Then I realized his "special sauce" was his brain. Nix is extremely smart and has a very fast processor.

I think there will be a synergistic effect with the combination of Bo Nix with Sean Payton.
Nice post. Payton made no secret after the Russ debacle that he was looking for a QB who could process information significantly better and faster.

Nix's press conf response to the question, "what makes a good processor" (in the clip below) exactly demonstrates why Payton had him ranked as his QB3 after Williams and Daniels.

Even if the more highly ranked Maye, Penix and McCarthy all were available at 12, Payton would still have selected Nix because of the better fit with the attributes Payton values most in a QB.

Bo Nix: What makes a good 'processor'?

I had Nix as 3rd. Perfect landing spot and expect to get him on more then one dynasty superflex roster. Already got him on a 1 Qb devy dynasty roster for a mid 2

Just did my rookie draft and was truly torn between Nix and Maye and ended up going Nix (they both fell to the bottom of the 2nd round). I just like his situation better

Users who are viewing this thread