What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach Josh McCown (3 Viewers)

Browns benching the guy who won them a game with game breaking plays, for a total stiff like Josh McCown. All I can say as a Raider fan is "Thank Mike Petine!"

And I don't mean to trash talk Browns fans, as we going in as underdogs. But you just made beating you that much easier. SMH at Cleveland.

This is why Mike Pettine won't make it as a head coach--no feel for the game at all. Crowell starts establishing himself on the ground? Time to give someone else a turn wth the ball. Browns finally get some momentum, and a young QB begins to gain confidence? Bench him and reinsert a total stiff like McCown with no upside whatsoever.

I'm not saying Manziel is going to make it in the NFL--he probably won't, not as a starter. But to put McCown back in there is just moronic football. If you have a talented veteran QB with a lot of expertise and wisdom to offer, sure. But McCown is a journeyman at best and a career backup. It would be like drafting Mariota and then sitting him behind Senecca Wallace.

Some guys are just better off as assistants than as head coaches. Norv Turner is an obvious one, Joe Philbin is another, Dom Capers, **** LeBeau, Marty Mornhinweg, etc. Looks like Pettine is ready to officially join their ranks.

pettine clearly just hates manziel. id imagine that hes just a total dickbag and sucks at practice and in the film room.

It's pretty clear that these football people, who are paid millions, believe that McCown is better than Manziel as of 9-22-15. Don't know what makes any of you superior decision-makers with virtually zero information. Ego, maybe?

Yeah, never hear of millionaires making foolish decisions. Pretty sure millionaires been calling the shots for years in Cleveland, so we should just trust them and their glorious track record.

Yeah, never hear of millionaires making foolish decisions. Pretty sure millionaires been calling the shots for years in Cleveland, so we should just trust them and their glorious track record.
Here's ONE guy the NFL missed out on. Keep that resume handy! :popcorn:

It's pretty clear that these football people, who are paid millions, believe that McCown is better than Manziel as of 9-22-15. Don't know what makes any of you superior decision-makers with virtually zero information. Ego, maybe?
I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say it's because this...is a...football message board. You see, football message boards are places where people with..."zero information"... gather to give their opinions about...football. If being an NFL coach was the prerequisite for posting, FBG would be an awfully lonely place.

theres plenty of information. mccown sucks at nfl football. manziel, may or may not suck at nfl football. the logic from there is pretty simple.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say it's because this...is a...football message board. You see, football message boards are places where people with..."zero information"... gather to give their opinions about...football. If being an NFL coach was the prerequisite for posting, FBG would be an awfully lonely place.
it would also be pretty boring if all of these inept franchises and coaches all of a sudden started making the right decisions. but since most nfl coaches and front offices have proven to be imbecilic button mashers, theres plenty to criticize.

it would also be pretty boring if all of these inept franchises and coaches all of a sudden started making the right decisions. but since most nfl coaches and front offices have proven to be imbecilic button mashers, theres plenty to criticize.
Wait, are you saying that guys with the football savvy of Lane Kiffin and Jack Del Rio are actually open to criticism on an Internet message board? EVEN when they're paid millions??

theres plenty of information. mccown sucks at nfl football. manziel, may or may not suck at nfl football. the logic from there is pretty simple.
Which one is better at reading defenses?

i dont know. and neither do the browns. thats the point.

How can you know what the Browns know? Mind reader? Suck it up and admit they know more than you.

How can you know what the Browns know? Mind reader? Suck it up and admit they know more than you.
How do you know if he knows what the Browns know?

Am seriously considering submitting a waiver claim to drop Peyton for him. Literally the only thing holding me back right now is if it all goes bad, I will be sitting there saying, "I can't believe I dropped Peyton Manning for Josh Freakin' McCown!"

McCown has a rough stretch of games coming up - DEN, STL, ARI, CIN - then the schedule opens up later - PIT twice, BAL, SF, KC.

I'd kind of like to have him later, but due to his recent production some point-chasers will probably snag him up immediately.

Bailed out many Luck or Big Ben owners I'm sure. But that slate of games coming up is just brutal.

VandyMan said:
McCown has a rough stretch of games coming up - DEN, STL, ARI, CIN - then the schedule opens up later - PIT twice, BAL, SF, KC.

I'd kind of like to have him later, but due to his recent production some point-chasers will probably snag him up immediately.
Good point on the schedule. I lost TT today (swapped Bortles for Tannehill a week ago) and I've been mulling over adding him.

Look, I've seen him plenty over the years. We think we know he is: 14 year career backup, has lost twice as many as he's won when he has started, the epitome of mediocrity. Except...

That 5 game stretch two years ago while Cutler was hurt was insane. I had a really mediocre redraft team and then Gordon lit the world on fire and Charles was going off and McCown was the best FF QB around for weeks. That MNF game right before he lost his job was surreal. I ended the year by setting the high total record in a 20 year league back to back weeks.

We're seeing again now. This 50-50 time share is working - Crowell is running well on the early downs & in the RZ, Duke has some nice wiggle when they find creative ways to get him in space. Barnidge thinks he's Gronk-lite. Benjamin is actually catching balls that aren't a straight fly pattern. Mack has that line jelling, as good as they were weeks 1-6 last year.

Will it last?

:shrug:

That's a brutal stretch coming up. Browns have been clicking of late. We'll find if it's for real. McCown is going to have a lot of volume to pad his stats with that defense.

It's crazy that a guy could be so mediocre for 12 years and the go 13 TDs with 1 int. Here we are two years later and the guys got a garbage collection for a WR corps but again putting up big FF numbers, three weeks on a row.

Am seriously considering submitting a waiver claim to drop Peyton for him. Literally the only thing holding me back right now is if it all goes bad, I will be sitting there saying, "I can't believe I dropped Peyton Manning for Josh Freakin' McCown!"
I pulled my claim after Taylor's injury. It was one thing to have him as my backup while I see if he's for real. It's another thing to have to actually start him the next few weeks against that brutal slate of opponents. I think I'll take my chances with Peyton. If he's still available in a few weeks, I'll revisit.

I do own him in another league and will probably stream him with Tannehill going forward.

Well, this is interesting. McCown cleared waivers in my 16-team league. Either the other owners were dumb and overlooked him, or smart and realized he had a brutal upcoming schedule.

At this point, it still comes down to whether Taylor can play this week. If so, I can afford to stash McCown. If not, I have to start Peyton.

How do people feel about the St. Louis matchup next week? According to Yahoo, they give up the 4th fewest fantasy points to QBs. And they did a pretty good job against GB last week. But I'm not sure they're an obvious stay-away like Den/NYJ.

I'm not sold on McCown. I'm not wild about his upcoming schedule. Then again...he's been one of the best qb's in fantasy the past few weeks. I'm not ready to start him for numerous reasons, but I don't know how most owners can let him sit on the waivers. We're going on a three week streak of greatness. Maybe he crashes or maybe he flukes his way into a continued run of fantasy stardom.

Rotoworld:

Josh McCown exited Week 7 against the Rams with a shoulder injury in the fourth quarter.

Johnny Manziel is in with just under four minutes to play with the Browns trailing 24-6. McCown appeared to hurt his shoulder when his arm was hit attempting a deep sideline pass. He stayed in the game for the next play, but was sacked and lost a fumble. McCown appeared to be in a decent amount of pain on the sideline before holding his arm close to his side as he walked to the locker room. Before leaving, McCown completed 26-of-32 passes for 270 yards, zero scores, and zero interceptions. McCown lost two fumbles on the day.

Oct 25 - 3:52 PM

Rotoworld:

The Browns' official site reports Josh McCown (right shoulder) will be a game-time decision.

Multiple ESPN reporters have reported McCown will start, but coach Mike Pettine did not sound as convinced Friday when he said he was prepared to play both McCown and Johnny Manziel. "It’s still truly day to day, we’ll see where he is tomorrow," Pettine said. "Quarterbacks typically do some light throwing on Saturdays but the passing time is helpful with him but it’ll still likely go right up to the game." Even if he suits up, McCown has a tough matchup against Arizona and cannot be trusted to make it through the whole game. He should be benched in most formats.

Related: Josh McCown

Source: ClevelandBrowns.com

Oct 31 - 9:28 AM

Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto believes the Browns will only trade Josh McCown if they receive a "tremendous offer."
Pluto added "McCown was the best quarterback on the field" in the practices he watched. That is likely true, but the Browns seem committed to Robert Griffin III as their Week 1 starter. Even so, Griffin has a long injury history and may not be effective even when healthy. Unless they trust third-rounder Cody Kessler or Austin Davis to make starts, keeping McCown around makes sense.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Jul 2 - 12:45 PM

ESPN Cleveland doesn’t project Josh McCown to make the final roster.
McCown was "best quarterback on the field" this spring, but his spot isn't assured with the Browns rebuilding. Cleveland can save $2.71 million from releasing McCown.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter 
Jul 2 - 8:10 PM

His Base Salary for this year is 4.375M of which 1M is giaranteed. No other bonuses this year
Is that a lot for a backup? Serious question. With the insane amount of dollars being thrown at these guys nowadays, I have no idea what a normal scale looks like.

Is that a lot for a backup? Serious question. With the insane amount of dollars being thrown at these guys nowadays, I have no idea what a normal scale looks like.
Would he be a #2 or a #3? They just spent a 3rd on Kessler and have a lot of draft capital next year so wouldn't they be much more likely to evaluate Kessler than turn to the 37yo QB they inherited? This regime brought in the other two guys so that may speak to how well they think the new(younger) guys can fit into the offense.... and how they feel about McCowns future with the team.

Would he be a #2 or a #3? They just spent a 3rd on Kessler and have a lot of draft capital next year so wouldn't they be much more likely to evaluate Kessler than turn to the 37yo QB they inherited? This regime brought in the other two guys so that may speak to how well they think the new(younger) guys can fit into the offense.... and how they feel about McCowns future with the team.
I would imagine that would depend a lot on their situation at the time. If by some miracle they were in the middle of the playoff hunt and RGIII went down, I doubt they'd turn to the rookie. If they were 2-8, then maybe.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer confirms the Browns won't part with Josh McCown unless a team is willing to give up a "high pick."
That price tag is rumored to be in the third round, although it's perhaps gotten steeper with multiple NFL teams losing quarterbacks recently. Ultimately, the Plain Dealer says the Browns are "unlikely" to part with McCown. As the Plain Dealer notes, McCown may be needed to make starts this year if Robert Griffin III gets hurt. (Griffin was sacked five times in one half of the Browns' third preseason game.) The Browns also view McCown as a valuable "mentor" to rehab project Griffin and third-round rookie Cody Kessler.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Aug 31 - 2:16 PM

Josh McCown (collarbone) said Monday he believes it's "realistic" he could play in Week 6 against the Titans.
So it sounds like McCown will be healthy enough to potentially back up Cody Kessler. McCown fractured his left collarbone on September 18. He is a competitor and obviously wants to play, but the Browns are riding Kessler for now.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter 
Oct 10 - 4:01 PM

NJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes said Josh McCown has been "far and away" the best quarterback at Jets OTAs.
Hughes qualifies the statement by pointing out he has only been allowed to watch two practices so far, but the comment is not at all surprising because McCown is actually an NFL quarterback. Unfortunately, McCown has struggled to stay healthy in recent years, meaning we will likely see Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty at some point this season.

Source: Connor Hughes on Twitter

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes it's not a "done deal" that Josh McCown is the Jets' Week 1 starter.

The New York Post shared a similar sentiment in mid-June, and it's not the first time Cimini has questioned if McCown will be the starter. A 38-year-old journeyman who is always hurt and only sporadically effective, McCown certainly shouldn't be gifted starting duties. The problem is the ineptness of the young quarterbacks behind him. Christian Hackenberg isn't a legitimate NFL prospect and Bryce Petty blurs the line between No. 2 and 3. McCown is the favorite, but won't come close to making 16 starts.

Source: ESPN New York

Jul 8 - 9:18 AM

Users who are viewing this thread