What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christine Michael (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foster was basically an unknown at that point. Maybe the team felt that he would be great, but taking Tate in the 2nd seems like a pretty strong hedge. Saying Foster was the presumptive guy seems like revisionist history to me, as I remember a lot of folks spending top 5-6 rookie picks on Tate that year.

As a side note, the mid-firsts in that rookie draft absolutely sucked. Bradford, Hardesty, B Tate, Benn, G Tate, Gresham. Oy.
Actually that is correct. Foster started at least one game the season before but was benched for fumbling. Then Tate was drafted and was considered the front runner to be the lead RB, but got injured in the preseason and the rest (as they say) is history. The 5-6 slot was probably ballpark for Tate, but he even went earlier than that in some rookie drafts

Foster was basically an unknown at that point. Maybe the team felt that he would be great, but taking Tate in the 2nd seems like a pretty strong hedge. Saying Foster was the presumptive guy seems like revisionist history to me, as I remember a lot of folks spending top 5-6 rookie picks on Tate that year.

As a side note, the mid-firsts in that rookie draft absolutely sucked. Bradford, Hardesty, B Tate, Benn, G Tate, Gresham. Oy.
Actually that is correct. Foster started at least one game the season before but was benched for fumbling. Then Tate was drafted and was considered the front runner to be the lead RB, but got injured in the preseason and the rest (as they say) is history. The 5-6 slot was probably ballpark for Tate, but he even went earlier than that in some rookie drafts
Also largely depends when your rookie draft is. A coupe of mine are in may, a couple in late augusts. They look very different every year.

Things change real fast, which is why I will lean towards talent over situation 99% of the time.

Yeah, if you are always and ONLY going after RBs that have a starting job lined up that year, you are going to deplete the value of your team pretty quick and suck for a long, long time.

Almost every top 15 in the league pretty much at any point in time was NOT a starter right away.
You obviously just completely made this up.
How many of these guys were starters right away:

Several of them did start right away
:lmao:

Yeah, if you are always and ONLY going after RBs that have a starting job lined up that year, you are going to deplete the value of your team pretty quick and suck for a long, long time.

Almost every top 15 in the league pretty much at any point in time was NOT a starter right away.

I thnk you missed some key words there.

I thnk you missed some key words there.
Not really, you just moved the goalposts, although good on you for pointing that out to everyone.

saying that he is the most overhyped player ever is just childish.
Considering owners I have talked to value him as a top 5 dynasty RB right now, I don't think it's childish at all to say he's the most hyped player ever.

He does pass the eyeball and looks like a stud, but he's currently valued as if he's already a Pro Bowl player. Even Trent Richardson (the most hyped RB since Peterson) was only ranked #9 going into his rookie year and he had a lock on a starting job.
Yet in 6 startup drafts in the DFWC in May he was the 20th RB off the board the hype is so out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you consider it better or worse than your blatant abuse of the use of exclamation marks?

Not really, you just moved the goalposts, although good on you for pointing that out to everyone.
Hey, if you dont think there is a difference between June and september, or even between now and a year from now, cool story for you then.
Funny, there was no mention of June vs. September in your original post about how "Almost every top 15 RB in the league pretty much at any point in time was NOT a starter right away".

Not only is that statement completely incorrect, but even after you moved the goalposts it still wouldn't be analogous to this situation with Michael (unless you're now going to argue that almost every top 15 RB in the league pretty much at any point was NOT a starter for his first two years, which again would be completely incorrect).

Yet another ridiculous "argument" in a thread filled with them.

Rotoworld:

Christine Michael - RB - Seahawks

According to the Seattle Times, Christine Michael's work at spring practices "did nothing to quell the idea he will get regular carries this season."

C-Mike saw increased first-team practice reps with Marshawn Lynch holding out. The Times believes Michael has "a chance to earn a much larger role this season," which would come at Lynch's expense. Michael is still no more than a handcuff pick in fantasy leagues, albeit one with a ton of upside if Lynch broke down. Lynch is 28 years old with 1,002 carries over his last three seasons.

Source: Seattle Times

Jul 20 - 2:55 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

According to the Seattle Times, Christine Michael's work at spring practices "did nothing to quell the idea he will get regular carries this season."

C-Mike saw increased first-team practice reps with Marshawn Lynch holding out. The Times believes Michael has "a chance to earn a much larger role this season," which would come at Lynch's expense. Michael is still no more than a handcuff pick in fantasy leagues, albeit one with a ton of upside if Lynch broke down. Lynch is 28 years old with 1,002 carries over his last three seasons.

Source: Seattle Times

Jul 20 - 2:55 PM
This is not news. It is speculation from the Seattle times most likely based off of speculation of Rotoworld. I feel like someone on that site is a troll specifically for Michael.

Michael sucks. Worthless, better trade him now while he can still get you a late round future pick.

Michael works for rotoworld.

.........as soon as this guy starts he will be a rb 1. But since it isnt right now....see above.

I thought Marshawn didn't hold out.
He missed the early OTAs/workouts and showed up during the second go round (I believe).
He was there but was out with an injured ankle. There is some local speculation his ankle was fine and this was his version of a hold out, but there isn't any hard data there and Carroll announced it as an injury.
I think the rest of the story is he wanted to show up to prevent a fine from missing ota. I believe if he wasn't present then he would be fined similar to Andre Johnson situation.

I would agree the ankle injury was likely made up.

Part of me hopes that Turbin runs with the first team day one, just for the entertainment value it would provide.
:lol:
this is a very likely scenario, shrug
I guess it could be, but I thought the sentiment was funny.

But I would think that if you are the Seahawks and you've been talking up Michael all off-season (possibly as a prelude to a Lynch holdout), then you go ahead and roll Michael out there into the starting spot as if you're not skipping a beat.

Actually, what happened was Foster played very well against what was then a tough Miami and New England defenses at the tail end of the year he was activated.

AT THAT TIME and leading up to the draft, Kubiak said several times, when asked, that he thought they had something with Foster but people (the ff people) generally couldn't accept it.

Places like Rotoworld,etc would commonly post Kubiak's comments and then throw their snarky "we don't buy it" canned response to it; and the ff boards generally echoed that thought. I remember this extremely well because I was still stinging from buying Rotoworld's ad naseum "Jamaal Charles is too small to be anything more than a 3rd down back" speech and I traded him away and was bitter, and so I was leery...LOL.

Anyway, THEN, the Vikes traded up in the draft with Houston and took Toby Gerhart, who the Texans stated later was the player they planned to take; not because they saw him as a starter but because the Texans had a train wreck of RB depth and wanted a big, durable back. So, when the Vikes grabbed Toby, they went to plan B.

The ff world saw the lack of depth in Houston and dismissed Foster as "merely an undrafted PS player" and started cranking out ROY awards for Tate.

People missed the boat big time, in general, and some people paying close attention (and some who listened to those paying close attention) panned gold out of a muddy creek on that one and it all started with watching those two games Foster played in and then actually listening to the coach and not the people trying to make a RB valuable because of his situation.

Which brings me to what I really came to say here. Watch the player and the talent and forget the perceived pecking order on this.

Michael is an extremely gifted RB that fits the team well here. He is going to shine. Its just a matter of when.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Seahawks GM John Schneider offered more praise for sophomore RB Christine Michael in an interview with the team's website.

Schneider was pleased with Michael for taking "a noticeable step forward this offseason with his work ethic, focus, and maturity." Asked about replacing Marshawn Lynch, who has elected to hold out, Schneider responded "it's just like we had players at different positions, like Brandon Browner and [byron] Maxwell steps up and is ready to go." Michael is the Maxwell to Lynch's Browner.

Source: seahawks.com

Jul 25 - 2:09 PM

Rotoworld:

Seahawks GM John Schneider offered more praise for sophomore RB Christine Michael in an interview with the team's website.

Schneider was pleased with Michael for taking "a noticeable step forward this offseason with his work ethic, focus, and maturity." Asked about replacing Marshawn Lynch, who has elected to hold out, Schneider responded "it's just like we had players at different positions, like Brandon Browner and [byron] Maxwell steps up and is ready to go." Michael is the Maxwell to Lynch's Browner.

I am beginning to think everything the seahawks have said about Michael this off season was an attempt to gain leverage vs lynch

Shutout said:

Actually, what happened was Foster played very well against what was then a tough Miami and New England defenses at the tail end of the year he was activated.AT THAT TIME and leading up to the draft, Kubiak said several times, when asked, that he thought they had something with Foster but people (the ff people) generally couldn't accept it.

Places like Rotoworld,etc would commonly post Kubiak's comments and then throw their snarky "we don't buy it" canned response to it; and the ff boards generally echoed that thought. I remember this extremely well because I was still stinging from buying Rotoworld's ad naseum "Jamaal Charles is too small to be anything more than a 3rd down back" speech and I traded him away and was bitter, and so I was leery...LOL.

Anyway, THEN, the Vikes traded up in the draft with Houston and took Toby Gerhart, who the Texans stated later was the player they planned to take; not because they saw him as a starter but because the Texans had a train wreck of RB depth and wanted a big, durable back. So, when the Vikes grabbed Toby, they went to plan B.

The ff world saw the lack of depth in Houston and dismissed Foster as "merely an undrafted PS player" and started cranking out ROY awards for Tate.

People missed the boat big time, in general, and some people paying close attention (and some who listened to those paying close attention) panned gold out of a muddy creek on that one and it all started with watching those two games Foster played in and then actually listening to the coach and not the people trying to make a RB valuable because of his situation.

Which brings me to what I really came to say here. Watch the player and the talent and forget the perceived pecking order on this.

Michael is an extremely gifted RB that fits the team well here. He is going to shine. Its just a matter of when.
Which is why I will continue to believe Turbin is the #2 until I see an official depth chart that says other wise.

Lynch owners start dancing, Michael owners stop dancing...

ESPN's John Clayton predicted on NFL Live that Marshawn Lynch's holdout will last "five to six days at most."

Clayton went as far as to say the Seahawks tentatively expect Lynch to report to training camp next week. Clayton also predicted the team will not satisfy Lynch's contract demands. Lynch is well compensated -- he's owed $5.5 million in salary and bonuses -- and he's a 28-year-old running back. The Seahawks aren't going to pay him with Christine Michael and Robert Turbin in reserve.

ESPN's John Clayton predicted on NFL Live that Marshawn Lynch's holdout will last "five to six days at most."

Clayton went as far as to say the Seahawks tentatively expect Lynch to report to training camp next week. Clayton also predicted the team will not satisfy Lynch's contract demands. Lynch is well compensated -- he's owed $5.5 million in salary and bonuses -- and he's a 28-year-old running back. The Seahawks aren't going to pay him with Christine Michael and Robert Turbin in reserve.
:lol: @ cryptkeeper thinking he's got this figured out.

Clayton and his sources are assuming that Lynch will play his hand the way most players in his situation would. That's not a safe assumption, IMO.

(I own neither Lynch nor Michael.)

i think that's the working assumption. no need for anyone to stop dancing or start dancing unless you were going to do that anyway.

Rotoworld:

It was always more then just pass pro. ;)

Rotoworld:

Are you sure you responded to the right thread? Schneider's quote said nothing about protection, just his work ethic, focus, and maturity.

Rotoworld:

Are you sure you responded to the right thread? Schneider's quote said nothing about protection, just his work ethic, focus, and maturity.
You, as usual, obviously haven't paid attention to this thread and whats been posted. But decided to run your mouth anyway in perfect act of total doublespeak. TT just being TT.

zed2283 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
zed2283 said:
Part of me hopes that Turbin runs with the first team day one, just for the entertainment value it would provide.
:lol:
this is a very likely scenario, shrug
I guess it could be, but I thought the sentiment was funny.

But I would think that if you are the Seahawks and you've been talking up Michael all off-season (possibly as a prelude to a Lynch holdout), then you go ahead and roll Michael out there into the starting spot as if you're not skipping a beat.
Seattle is all about competition, and Michael has not "beat out" Turbin yet. Turbin is a very consistent back who won't lose his job in practice because he will flash at times and do everything he's supposed to do. Once the games start, Michael is expected to separate.

Rotoworld:

You, as usual, obviously haven't paid attention to this thread and whats been posted. But decided to run your mouth anyway in perfect act of total doublespeak. TT just being TT.
You on your second or third marriage? You don't know how to have a normal conversation.

Shutout said:

Actually, what happened was Foster played very well against what was then a tough Miami and New England defenses at the tail end of the year he was activated.AT THAT TIME and leading up to the draft, Kubiak said several times, when asked, that he thought they had something with Foster but people (the ff people) generally couldn't accept it.

Which is why I will continue to believe Turbin is the #2 until I see an official depth chart that says other wise.
FWIW Wilson called Turbin #1 while Lynch is out, and not Michael, on Total Access....tells me a little something.

Yep, Russel Wilson on NFL tv when asked about Marshawns Lynchs absence...

"It gives a great opportunity to Robert Turbin."

He did speak of Michael in a lesser capacity. Including the always stated stuff about raw talent and being able to actually get some reps.

BigSteelThrill said:

He did speak of Michael in a lesser capacity. Including the always stated stuff about raw talent and being able to actually get some reps.
I feel like I've been the only one sticking up for Turbin. A lot of people like to call him average but he has the same speed as Michael just slightly less powerful and less agile but is a superior pass blocker and they are about the same pass catcher. I posted this a month ago and was chastised. If Turbin starts off the camp as #1 I'll feel a little justification: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=678062&p=16905970

This entire thread is wholly irrelevant - Paul Richardson will finish 2014 season with 2800 yards receiving along with 23 TDs, rendering the Seattle running game uninteresting.

Let's get this back on track. Lynch will report back. Worst case scenario, we have to wait another year. But Michael is a patient guy. He showed great patience since a freshmen.

BigSteelThrill said:

Im not exactly implying that you are reaching or reading to much into anything. Im pretty sure some "depth chart" lists a pecking order. However!

Weve all seen how little a real current depth chart can mean. I could go on and explain verbatim what you've probably heard or know. But

I think Wilson is all Football And I see no reason why he shouldn't at least consider touting the "potential" third man in-line as someone worth Value (trades etc.) For all I know the Colts may have already inquired w teams like Seattle/SF already. Why on earth should he show disrespect to a team-mate that earned a spot on the depth -chart

Last but not least Turbin may in fact still be somehow considered the "next man up" While now he has time to maintain and/or grab a hold. (best player doesn't always play for whatever reason anyway)

Im just making sure that someone reading this post, doesn't just ignore what quite a few FF guys believe >> Christine is ready to pound the Rock!

BigSteelThrill said:

Im not exactly implying that you are reaching or reading to much into anything. Im pretty sure some "depth chart" lists a pecking order. However!

Weve all seen how little a real current depth chart can mean. I could go on and explain verbatim what you've probably heard or know. But

I think Wilson is all Football And I see no reason why he shouldn't at least consider touting the "potential" third man in-line as someone worth Value (trades etc.) For all I know the Colts may have already inquired w teams like Seattle/SF already. Why on earth should he show disrespect to a team-mate that earned a spot on the depth -chart

Last but not least Turbin may in fact still be somehow considered the "next man up" While now he has time to maintain and/or grab a hold. (best player doesn't always play for whatever reason anyway)

Im just making sure that someone reading this post, doesn't just ignore what quite a few FF guys believe >> Christine is ready to pound the Rock!
That just what Russell said.

I didnt have to read or reach into what he said. But what he said could certainly be wrong or end up being proven wrong in a few weeks.

As a new season begins, Carroll says they are seeing what they hoped for from Michael.

“He had an offseason where he just seemed to grow up,’’ Carroll said. “He seemed to become really clear about the expectation of the workload, the job, the position that he’s playing, the responsibility of it and all that. He was just kind of bright-eyed, this was just a young pup his first year. But he’s made a big shift.’’

Michael doesn’t dispute that he needed to learn what being an NFL player is all about.

“Just taking my time with the game, actually studying the game, learning the game, watching more film, asking more questions, taking better notes and just becoming an overall pro,’’ he said of what he learned during his rookie season. “And still trying to become an even better pro.”

The evolution continued when Michael returned to his native Beaumont, Texas during breaks in the offseason, where his time mostly consisted of “straight training.”

He worked alongside several other players, including Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles, in exercises that included boxing and swimming.

Michael, who is 5 feet 10, weighs 227, up a little bit from 221 of last season.

“He’s in great shape,” Carroll said.

Michael said he’s willing to help on any special team the Seahawks want, which could include non-return duties such as working on the kickoff team.

Pass blocking, though, he says is the biggest area of improvement this season.

“If I had to take something out of my game that I could work on it would be pass blocking,” he said. “I’ve been studying more film. I know who I’m blocking now, I know what to block. I know different defensive schemes. Now it’s just go out there and have fun with it and show them proof.”

And for now, the floor is his.

BigSteelThrill said:

That just what Russell said.

I didnt have to read or reach into what he said. But what he said could certainly be wrong or end up being proven wrong in a few weeks.
yeah, I actually decided to watch some NFL Network after a lengthy break (bored)ex. History ch. is havin a marathon pickers episode

I must say once I actually heard the quote, it sounded pretty much like you wrote it!

So I believe that it would be interesting to hear your take on what it actually meant (especially since you've been a member since 2006!)

It disgust me to admit, I could imagine seeing one of these rbbc type deals w a bit of "hot-hand" mixed in. Basically my premise based on simple facts like nether RB having proven himself capable of every-down duty while injury-free.

LOL now it looks like Im the one really :fishing:

Touchdown There said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Touchdown There said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

You on your second or third marriage? You don't know how to have a normal conversation.
We are not going back to running this thread into the ground again with these kind of posts. Please leave off the commentary about other posters and stick to discussing football or you won't have posting privileges here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread