What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (2 Viewers)

Top priority in FA should be either Connor Williams or Cushenberry. So sick of having a bad center. We were spoiled by Kreutz.
I think both those guys are strong candidates to re-sign.
Are any of the top 3 OCs (Sedrick Van Pran, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Zach Frazier) ready to start from go? I don't hate spending a 2nd or 3rd on one of those guys, athough I suspect at least 2 will be gone by the end of the 2nd.
JPJ is probably week 1 ready, but he could go top-20 overall. He's only the pick if they trade down from #9. Could be a top-5 NFL Center by year 2.

Frazier is probably more NFL ready but has a lower ceiling than JPJ. I'd be a little surprised if he wasn't a top-40 pick and might end up at Guard depending on who picks him.

Van Pran is NFL ready, but I'm not sure he's much of a prospect. He kinda strikes me as one of those "we can live with him because he doesn't screw up" types, but he's a below average athlete even by Center standards, and probably projects as a borderline starter.

Looks like Fields is going to Atlanta.

Source?
There's a video going around Twitter where Fields' agent tells him 'he's going home'. Draft Kings took his prop bet down as to where he's going to play next season.

They put the bet back up. Albeit at reduced odds, but the bet's not down, and the video is all speculation. Now, where there's smoke there's fire, but it's not a done deal and I wouldn't go running with it. That's why I asked for a source.

.@AlabamaFTBL ED Dallas Turner
Wingspan: 83” (89th percentile)
40: 4.47 (98th percentile)
Vert: 40.5 (97th percentile)
Broad: 10’7” (93rd percentile)

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

I like him at #9 if the Bears strike out on edge rushers in FA.

It sure seems like ATL is a good fit for him. And ATL gets to keep pick #8, so they can get a starting WR/DE. If they go into this seaosn with Fields and Oduze/Nabers on their roster it's a win for them.

It sure seems like ATL is a good fit for him. And ATL gets to keep pick #8, so they can get a starting WR/DE. If they go into this seaosn with Fields and Oduze/Nabers on their roster it's a win for them.
Fields
Robinson/Allgier
London
Odunze
Pitts

That would be a nightmare for a DC

Top priority in FA should be either Connor Williams or Cushenberry. So sick of having a bad center. We were spoiled by Kreutz.
I think both those guys are strong candidates to re-sign.
Are any of the top 3 OCs (Sedrick Van Pran, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Zach Frazier) ready to start from go? I don't hate spending a 2nd or 3rd on one of those guys, athough I suspect at least 2 will be gone by the end of the 2nd.
Would seem we would at least have a mid second if Fields goes.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

They've put so much into the defense over the years but with very little success as a team. Defense is decent now. I'm for going very offense heavy this draft.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

They've put so much into the defense over the years but with very little success as a team. Defense is decent now. I'm for going very offense heavy this draft.
I think the pass rush is still bottom 10 in the league. If Sweat misses any time it drops to bottom 2 or 3. Bears need another legit pass rusher.

We were 31st in sacks last season. I don't think Ngokue comes back and Justin Jones is a free agent. Those are the #2 and #3 sack leaders on a already bad D line.

Bears need to either get a high end edge in FA or draft one at 9.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

I think the pass rush is still bottom 10 in the league. If Sweat misses any time it drops to bottom 2 or 3. Bears need another legit pass rusher.

We were 31st in sacks last season. I don't think Ngokue comes back and Justin Jones is a free agent. Those are the #2 and #3 sack leaders on a already bad D line.

Aren't pass rush stats a bit skewed if you never have a lead?

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

Can't go with you here. I see the defense as steadily improving and will continue to improve as the offense does. Offense was horrendous continually. Continue building the offense around the new QB and build the defense on the back end. They've tried time and time again pouring into the defense and it always leads to a putrid offense. Put all of your resources into building around the qb for once.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

If they can keep Johnson, add a Hunter in FA, then maybe a late round safety, that should be enough.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

Aren't pass rush stats a bit skewed if you never have a lead?
:shrug: Bears were in the top 5 of pass attempts against. They had plenty of opportunities to get to the QB and couldn't do it.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

Can't go with you here. I see the defense as steadily improving and will continue to improve as the offense does. Offense was horrendous continually. Continue building the offense around the new QB and build the defense on the back end. They've tried time and time again pouring into the defense and it always leads to a putrid offense. Put all of your resources into building around the qb for once.
I think the defense was much improved after they added Sweat, but still not a top 10 unit.

As disappointing as Ngokue and Jones were, they were the only real pass rushing threats outside of Sweat and I don't know if either are coming back.

Walker and Dexter are the only two other legit starters on the roster on the DL. I see it as a massive hole that needs upgrading. If Sweat misses time it wouldn't shock me to see the whole defense fall apart.

I'm happy with a WR or DE at #9. I just don't feel like we need an OT that early when Braxton Jones is at least serviceable.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

I think the defense was much improved after they added Sweat, but still not a top 10 unit.

As disappointing as Ngokue and Jones were, they were the only real pass rushing threats outside of Sweat and I don't know if either are coming back.

Walker and Dexter are the only two other legit starters on the roster on the DL. I see it as a massive hole that needs upgrading. If Sweat misses time it wouldn't shock me to see the whole defense fall apart.

I'm happy with a WR or DE at #9. I just don't feel like we need an OT that early when Braxton Jones is at least serviceable.
I can see that side. They don't seem to be thinking OT anyway. I think that's a mistake and they could get two great, young OTs to anchor the line now, but I also wouldn't be upset if they took a WR. Just feels like decent WRs are available later, whereas a stud OT will not be.

Insane stuff
Weighed in at 247

I'm with you in that bpa (wr or de) are my preference at 9. If odunze is there, you have to take him. If he's gone then Turner has looked really good. It also seems to be a pretty deep draft for DE and DT. That said, I'd like to see a 3rd or better used on an OC. With the new cap money available, I'm not certain the premier OCs will make it into free agency. I'd also love to see an OG taken to help shore up the rotation, but I suspect that's low priority. I'm glad the FA period starts before the draft. It'll give us an idea of who Poles will be taking (or won't) with each FA signing.

Just a reminder, Justin Fields drafted in 2021 1st round pick 11 (trading up from #20 and giving up the subsequent year's #1 draft pick and other draft picks) https://www.chicagobears.com/news/justin-fields-nfl-draft-quarterback-ohio-state
It's a complete waste of draft capital to trade him away now for a 2nd round pick in my opinion.
True. Unless they draft a QB at one, in which case it can be looked at as wasted draft capital for what they could get for him now

Just a reminder, Justin Fields drafted in 2021 1st round pick 11 (trading up from #20 and giving up the subsequent year's #1 draft pick and other draft picks) https://www.chicagobears.com/news/justin-fields-nfl-draft-quarterback-ohio-state
It's a complete waste of draft capital to trade him away now for a 2nd round pick in my opinion.
When discussing trade value, most of the time the other team will only consider "what is he worth now", and not "what was he worth when you first acquired him"

49ers traded 3 1st rounders for Lance and then traded him for a 4th rounder.
Yea, that was terrible GM job with Trey Lance by the 49ers. Justin FIelds may be better than Caleb Williams at the NFL level, just as Brock Purdy was determined to be better than Trey Lance. The Bears will never be able to make that decision if they ship Fields away before the draft, before seeing Caleb Williams practice.

49ers traded 3 1st rounders for Lance and then traded him for a 4th rounder.
Yea, that was terrible GM job with Trey Lance by the 49ers. Justin FIelds may be better than Caleb Williams at the NFL level, just as Brock Purdy was determined to be better than Trey Lance. The Bears will never be able to make that decision if they ship Fields away before the draft, before seeing Caleb Williams practice.
If I'm fields, I demand a trade if they take a QB #1.
It isn't gonna help his future value if he's second fiddle taking no reps and not playing.
I think they get more trading him now, and they HAVE to move him if they draft QB for the reason I mentioned.

So there were times during Jalen Hurts second developmental year, and Jordan Love's first developmental year that a good portion of people that weighed in thought neither would ever be franchise quarterbacks and the Eagles and Packers should start thinking about finding a future starting QB, then that all changed with more experience and a trade for AJ Brown in the case of Hurts. I just think they would be better trading #1 moving down to 2 or 3 and piling up draft picks (including a1st rounder for next year), draft Marvin Harrison Jr and roll with Justin Fields. Unless their scouts are convinced Caleb Williams is a future HOF NFL QB.f
What if the Bears had traded Fields last year and kept the #1 pick and drafted Bryce Young, they would be the worst team in the NFL.

So there were times during Jalen Hurts second developmental year, and Jordan Love's first developmental year that a good portion of people that weighed in thought neither would ever be franchise quarterbacks and the Eagles and Packers should start thinking about finding a future starting QB, then that all changed with more experience and a trade for AJ Brown in the case of Hurts. I just think they would be better trading #1 moving down to 2 or 3 and piling up draft picks (including a1st rounder for next year), draft Marvin Harrison Jr and roll with Justin Fields. Unless their scouts are convinced Caleb Williams is a future HOF NFL QB.f
What if the Bears had traded Fields last year and kept the #1 pick and drafted Bryce Young, they would be the worst team in the NFL.
Can you think of another qb who looked mediocre for their first 40 games and then became elite?

Caleb often hasn't fared well when matched against elite defenses, so there's a better than average possibility that at the next level he could just be a slower version of Justin Fields. Bears fans need to be mentally prepared for this guy to stink up the joint if the Bears get their hands on him.

That said, I'll back Poles play, whatever it is, because my job doesn't depend on how the decision goes but his does. If Poles trades JF and drafts CW, and JF flourishes while CW struggles, Poles better be real good at selling insurance or whatever his next job will be. Same goes for the reverse. If he passes on CW and he turns out to be the next Mahomes, he'll never live it down.

Can you think of another qb who looked mediocre for their first 40 games and then became elite?
I disagree that FIelds looked mediocre for 40 games. He flashed his talent in several games as well.

But I have been remembering, and watching, and looking at stats for Caleb Williams and he deserves to be picked 1st and will probably be very good in the NFL. I like Fields though too.

He's thrown 39 more TDs than Aaron Rodgers did before the age of 25.

Lol, wut?

Lol, wut?
Adding perspective for people who think a 24 year old has maxed out his NFL potential.

Lol, wut?
Adding perspective for people who think a 24 year old has maxed out his NFL potential.
Sure, but you answered his question by not answering his question and also giving a horrible comparison.

Lol, wut?
Sure, but you answered his question by not answering his question and also giving a horrible comparison.
I think the question may be flawed in the way it's framed. 40 games is just a line in the sand.

The same way we can say 25 years old is a line in the sand.

GB waited 3 years to make Aaron Rodgers the starting QB. He learned the same same system as a backup before being named the starter going into his 4th year in that same system and he produced a losing record that year.

Bears waited 3 games before making Fields the starter and made him learn on the field while taking Ls. Then they changed his system year 2.

Bottom line is the Bears chose the trial by fire method and then roast the guy when he isn't elite. The flip side to that coin is that he accomplied more in the NFL before the age of 25 than Rodgers did.

Lol, wut?
I think the question may be flawed in the way it's framed. 40 games is just a line in the sand.

GB waited 3 years to make Aaron Rodgers the starting QB. He learned the same same system as a backup before being named the starter going into his 4th year in that same system and he produced a losing record that year.

Bears waited 3 games before making Fields the starter and made him learn on the field while taking Ls. Then they changed his system year 2.

Bottom line is the Bears chose the trial by fire method and then roast the guy when he isn't elite. The flip side to that coin is that he accomplied more in the NFL before the age of 25 than Rodgers did.
He asked a valid question, and by 40 games I'm assuming he meant 40 games PLAYED, which makes sense.

Question though, if the Bears had say, the #8 pick rather than #1, would they keep Fields? most likely yes.
Do they think one of the QBs is so much better (along with lower salary for a few years) that they get rid of Fields for maybe the value of a late 1st and use #1 on a QB, or do they keep Fields, pay him some sort of overpriced but not earth shattering contract, and trade #1 for a bunch of picks.

The answer is gonna be based on what they think of their top QB in the draft. Who knows.

if I was a Bears fan I would not fault them at all if they traded #1 and rolled with Fields.

Lol, wut?

He asked a valid question, and by 40 games I'm assuming he meant 40 games PLAYED, which makes sense.

Question though, if the Bears had say, the #8 pick rather than #1, would they keep Fields? most likely yes.
Do they think one of the QBs is so much better (along with lower salary for a few years) that they get rid of Fields for maybe the value of a late 1st and use #1 on a QB, or do they keep Fields, pay him some sort of overpriced but not earth shattering contract, and trade #1 for a bunch of picks.

The answer is gonna be based on what they think of their top QB in the draft. Who knows.

if I was a Bears fan I would not fault them at all if they traded #1 and rolled with Fields.
Most Bears fan also want the same. Do what's best for the team. I think Williams is the better option, but a trade package for him may be better for the team as a whole.

Fields has his issues, but I think he has a ton of talent still. His value is lower than it should be because the Bears stink at developing QBs.

Lol, wut?

Most Bears fan also want the same. Do what's best for the team. I think Williams is the better option, but a trade package for him may be better for the team as a whole.

Fields has his issues, but I think he has a ton of talent still. His value is lower than it should be because the Bears stink at developing QBs.
His trade value would be higher if the upcoming monetary commitment was different. Unfortunately, that is very bad for his trade value.

I work with a guy who's decently tied into the Dolphins Organization. He let me know the word over there is that the Dolphins are letting Christian Wilkins walk and that the Bears are who they think they're losing him to.

I'd be happy with that add, but they still need an edge Rusher.

I work with a guy who's decently tied into the Dolphins Organization. He let me know the word over there is that the Dolphins are letting Christian Wilkins walk and that the Bears are who they think they're losing him to.

I'd be happy with that add, but they still need an edge Rusher.
He'd be the perfect 3T anchor for this defense. Can we afford to spend high end money on another DT when we need more help at DE, though?

Users who are viewing this thread