What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (1 Viewer)

The more I think about it, the more I am open to the idea of CHI trading the #1 down into the top 1/3 of the draft. Take the haul, get a OT with one pick and McCarthy with the other and give him a year to sit and study behind Fields. If Fields is "the guy", then he'll be extended and McCarthy traded. If not, McCarthy starts in 2025. I think this hedges bets on both sides and gives the Bears a ton more draft capital to stock the trenches. It is the lowest risk situation possible.
May not be able to get McCarthy at pick 9, my guess right now is he'll be gone.
Possible, although I have a hard time seeing one of Caleb, Maye, Daniels, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Alt, Fashanu, falling out of the top 9. Barring trades, there are 4 QB needy teams in the top 9 and one of them is the Bears. I just have a hard time seeing him go higher than that.

ETA - Throw Bowers into that mix as well.
I don't think McCarthy will be on the board past pick 8.

The more I think about it, the more I am open to the idea of CHI trading the #1 down into the top 1/3 of the draft. Take the haul, get a OT with one pick and McCarthy with the other and give him a year to sit and study behind Fields. If Fields is "the guy", then he'll be extended and McCarthy traded. If not, McCarthy starts in 2025. I think this hedges bets on both sides and gives the Bears a ton more draft capital to stock the trenches. It is the lowest risk situation possible.
May not be able to get McCarthy at pick 9, my guess right now is he'll be gone.
Possible, although I have a hard time seeing one of Caleb, Maye, Daniels, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Alt, Fashanu, falling out of the top 9. Barring trades, there are 4 QB needy teams in the top 9 and one of them is the Bears. I just have a hard time seeing him go higher than that.

ETA - Throw Bowers into that mix as well.
I could see both Fashanu and especially Bowers not being top-9 picks. I'd be VERY shocked if the first 9 picks were all offensive players. In 2021 the first 7 picks were offensive players, and the best player in the class was a defensive player.

I'm also coming around to the idea that the media is grossly overrating the 2nd tier of QBs. I wouldn't be surprised if Caleb, Maye, and Daniels were the only 1st round QBs.

McCarthy at #9 would be gross in my opinion, would MUCH rather just stick with Fields and hope he keeps improving, and upgrade the defense/OL.

ETA: I do love the idea of trading the #1 to Washington if they are truly going to "sell out" for Caleb. If moving down 1 spot adds lots of future picks (including a 2025 1st) I'd be all for it.

Last edited:
I'm also coming around to the idea that the media is grossly overrating the 2nd tier of QBs. I wouldn't be surprised if Caleb, Maye, and Daniels were the only 1st round QBs.
I think the fans and media are actually behind the curve and just starting to catch up. These QB's are going high,will be at least 5 in round one and 4 in the top 10.

McCarthy at #9 would be gross in my opinion, would MUCH rather just stick with Fields and hope he keeps improving, and upgrade the defense/OL.
Also meant to add I'd take McCarthy over Fields even if I was not getting 3 extra rookie years on the contract. Just think he's better.

Right. My question is; are the Bears a Caleb Williams aways from turning the program around and competing for championships? My gut says no
No one thought HOU was a QB away last year.
HOU killed it in the 2023 draft. Adding what would become the OROY and DROY as well as bolstering their OL, DL and DBs. They also added to both side of the line in Free Agency. Stroud played REALLY well for a rookie, but he wasn't the only reason HOU was successful in 2023.

Right. My question is; are the Bears a Caleb Williams aways from turning the program around and competing for championships? My gut says no
HOU killed it in the 2023 draft. Adding what would become the OROY and DROY as well as bolstering their OL, DL and DBs. They also added to both side of the line in Free Agency. Stroud played REALLY well for a rookie, but he wasn't the only reason HOU was successful in 2023.
And coaching.

Also meant to add I'd take McCarthy over Fields even if I was not getting 3 extra rookie years on the contract. Just think he's better.
We feel pretty different on McCarthy. He's QB6 in this class in my eyes. I also think Fields has shown clear improvement each season. Its cherry picking a bit, but Fields had a 131.1 passer rating when throwing to Moore or Kmet last year. Could be just a random stat, but also could mean that the issue is not enough weapons.

An ideal scenario in my eyes, is Washington giving up a ton for the #1 pick, taking Harrison at #2, and BPA (probably DL) at #9 and sticking with Fields.

Stroud was huge, and a huge outlier for rookie QBs. Its HIGHLY unlikely any QB in this class (or any class) is as good as Stroud was as a rookie. That was a top-3 rookie QB season of all-time. Also, I don't think DeMeco Ryans gets enough credit. He got snubbed for Coach of the Year in my opinion.

We feel pretty different on McCarthy. He's QB6 in this class in my eyes.
You might be interested to know the Jeremiah/Brugler/Zierlein mocks all have him going 4th among the top 3, and all 4 going top 20.

Just an interesting data point, that at the moment, these seem to be the top 4 guys.

I saw McCarthy at #9 in one of them. :oops:

We feel pretty different on McCarthy. He's QB6 in this class in my eyes.
You might be interested to know the Jeremiah/Brugler/Zierlein mocks all have him going 4th among the top 3, and all 4 going top 20.

Just an interesting data point, that at the moment, these seem to be the top 4 guys.

I saw McCarthy at #9 in one of them. :oops:
I get that, but media is all over the place this early. Hell, 2 years ago, there were plenty of mocks where Malik Willis was the 1st QB taken, and a top-10 pick, even as high as #2 overall to Detroit, when everyone thought Hutchinson would go #1.

I get that, but media is all over the place this early. Hell, 2 years ago, there were plenty of mocks where Malik Willis was the 1st QB taken, and a top-10 pick, even as high as #2 overall to Detroit, when everyone thought Hutchinson would go #1.
To be honest, I think this was predictable. McCarthy moving up.

He has 3 years on these guys. None of them were close to as good as him after 3 seasons. Only Caleb and Drake were as good--and they were both better.

I fully expect some hole-poking to go on with Nix/Penix/Daniels. In fact, I would not be surprised if Daniels gets knocked down a bit. If people start mocking McCarthy over Daniels, I will not be surprised.

We feel pretty different on McCarthy. He's QB6 in this class in my eyes. I also think Fields has shown clear improvement each season. I
Yes we feel very different on McCarthy and I don't think the media reports that Massraider posted are off base, at all. I view it as more of a Big 4 QB's.

Yes Fields improved but that's kind of empty to me in the context of he set such a low bar.

Either way fun to talk about what you or I would do, but I really don't see any suspense here. Bears are going to draft his replacment and trade him.

If Caleb Williams = CJ Stroud it's a no-brainer. The massive risk is that if he's not, Bears take a huge step backwards...again. This is where the Bears evaluators have to earn their money and get it right for the first time in franchise history since Sid Luckman in 1939. Tall odds.

I saw Hasson Reddick is looking for a trade. Dude is a beast for Chicago if he can be had reasonably.

He turns 30 on September 22 and he's in the final year of his deal with a cap hit of $21M next season so he'll have to be extended and he's probably looking for a Montez Sweat-level deal.

And they were right. HOU was not a QB away from competing for a championship. They were just a QB away from winning a pathetic division.
Bears fans would be ecstatic with a division title and a playoff win.

Resign Jaylon.
Cut Whitehair, Eddie Jackson and Velus Jones.
Sign a WR #2, TE #2, RB #1/2, Starting Center, Starting DE or DT, Starting Safety
Draft Williams, Either Turner or Odunze at #9, Second rd pick from JF trade should address either the WR/DE that is still the weakest.

Bears fans live in constant fear of drafting the wrong guy and would just rather stay the safe route and maybe our mediocre qb who still has the same flaws that made him drop in the draft will somehow not have them anymore if they build multiple drafts around him. Doesn't matter that the current roster isn't that bad.

No

Proposal: Fields for Dionte Johnson and #51 overall?

Johnson will be 28 and has one year left on his current contract.
I don't think they would do it, but I would be very happy. I'm starting to think that the trade market for Fields will be pretty lukewarm. It is getting hard to see where he fits. I think Getsy going to the raiders and zac robinson going to Atlanta, really limits the systems that would suit him. If Pittsburgh really wants him, they might be the only bidder. I'm hoping for a second round pick.

I don't think they would do it, but I would be very happy. I'm starting to think that the trade market for Fields will be pretty lukewarm. It is getting hard to see where he fits. I think Getsy going to the raiders and zac robinson going to Atlanta, really limits the systems that would suit him. If Pittsburgh really wants him, they might be the only bidder. I'm hoping for a second round pick.
They were discussing Fields' value to Pittsburgh this morning on ESPN. It was a decent segment with Louis Riddick saying #20 isn't off the table in a Fields trade. Ideally they should start with #51 and add some sweeteners. Yates said he'd probably take Bo Nix at 20 vs trading that pick for Fields, but its close.

I think if Pittsburgh doesn't get Russell Wilson they have limited options to compete in the AFC North. JF's upside might fit in that division better than anyone else this year.

They were discussing Fields' value to Pittsburgh this morning on ESPN. It was a decent segment with Louis Riddick saying #20 isn't off the table in a Fields trade. Ideally they should start with #51 and add some sweeteners. Yates said he'd probably take Bo Nix at 20 vs trading that pick for Fields, but its close.

I think if Pittsburgh doesn't get Russell Wilson they have limited options to compete in the AFC North. JF's upside might fit in that division better than anyone else this year.
I'm not sure RW takes a paycut wherever he goes and I'm not sure the Steelers organization will pay him top $$$ at his age.

I'm not sure RW takes a paycut wherever he goes and I'm not sure the Steelers organization will pay him top $$$ at his age.
Broncos would have to pay his guaranteed money if they cut him, so he's already paid for 2024. I don't know the specifics going past this season though.

Broncos would have to pay his guaranteed money if they cut him, so he's already paid for 2024. I don't know the specifics going past this season though.
Holy smokes. His dead cap number is $85 million if they cut him this year. Dude ain't goin nowhere even if Peyton drafts a QB early.

This Fields to the Steelers for a 2nd is hilarious. Since that second is #51 and not #32, Fields is worth less than Chase Claypool was to the Bears. That extra fifth round pick will be valuable though. lol. Can totally see the Bears doing it.

Last edited:

Holy smokes. His dead cap number is $85 million if they cut him this year. Dude ain't goin nowhere even if Peyton drafts a QB early.
spread out over two years, and then cap relief, not ideal but they will have to figure it out, he is going to be off their roster, think you can bank on it.

This Fields to the Steelers for a 2nd is hilarious. Since that second is #51 and not #32, Fields worth less than Chase Claypool was to the Bears. That extra fifth round pick will be valuable though. lol. Can totally see the Bears doing it.
The Chase Claypool trade was one of the dumbest trades in team history.

This Fields to the Steelers for a 2nd is hilarious. Since that second is #51 and not #32, Fields is worth less than Chase Claypool was to the Bears. That extra fifth round pick will be valuable though. lol. Can totally see the Bears doing it.
Dan Graziano from ESPN has a decent pulse of the league and said current value is a 2nd round pick, possibly a bidding war could push it a little higher. #45 is middle of the 2nd round, #51 is close to that. Seems about right give or take.

I know there have been some quite bad trades in this line (Charlie Whitehurst) and teams do get desperate but I don't see a "bidding war" emerging for a QB who has been so unreliable, to put it nicely. You give up a premium pick, then have to either extend Fields after 2 seasons or give up and try again. Nooo thank you.

I know there have been some quite bad trades in this line (Charlie Whitehurst) and teams do get desperate but I don't see a "bidding war" emerging for a QB who has been so unreliable, to put it nicely. You give up a premium pick, then have to either extend Fields after 2 seasons or give up and try again. Nooo thank you.
If you are a QB away from contending like the Steelers and possibly the Falcons are, you do.

term was being used loosely, point being if have 2 or 3 teams interested, the price could be pushed up a little

The Bears literally did that for Sweat and its called a "win". Granted Sweat is better at his position than JF, but the Bears gave up a premium pick to sign a pending FA to the 3rd largest DE contract.

If you are a QB away from contending like the Steelers and possibly the Falcons are, you do.
I think some fans have trouble putting themselves in other GMs shoes and overvalue draft picks. Those teams aren't going settle for another year of Riddler and Pickett. Maybe the Falcons go QB @8, but thats still likely the 4th QB off the board. Steelers might be looking at the 5th QB by pick 20.

Or they trade their second round pick for JF who will have cap hits of 6mil and 22 mil the next two seasons. Its more expensive but saves the year or two most rookies need to even be serviceable in the NFL.

Lets also remember that over 50% of second round picks don't pan out. Maybe 25% are even All-pro level guys.

Last edited:

I think if Pittsburgh doesn't get Russell Wilson they have limited options to compete in the AFC North. JF's upside might fit in that division better than anyone else this ye

Bears have cut Whitehair.

Move saves 9 mil in cap space
Eddie Jackson too. It seems like just yesterday I was so excited about his potential.

I think if Pittsburgh doesn't get Russell Wilson they have limited options to compete in the AFC North. JF's upside might fit in that division better than anyone else this ye

Eddie Jackson too. It seems like just yesterday I was so excited about his potential.
I didn't see the Jackson cut yet, but it was the right move. We can sign a better safety at half the price tag.

Loved him when he was making plays, but he was a terrible tacking safety.

I didn't see the Jackson cut yet, but it was the right move. We can sign a better safety at half the price tag.

Loved him when he was making plays, but he was a terrible tacking safety.
Yeah, I completely agree. Pretty solid players over the years, but it was time for them both to go.

Eddie Jackson reminded me of Nathan Vasher. AKA, Guys that find themselves in the right at the right time. In itself, that is a skill, but not one that usually plays out over several years. I loved both those guys as young players.

Man the start to his career was fun. Thought we had a star.

Terrible move. The OL was unprepared and unorganized the majority of the season. Now we expect Morgan to run the RB and OL room?

O line was more steady than you give them credit for. Tackles were the same all season. Interior had some injury issues and Davis had issues with a sick mom and he didn't seem to play to his level. Not saying they were a top ten unit but I don't think they were bottom ten like how they're treated in here.

Users who are viewing this thread