What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (11 Viewers)

Poles panicked and the Steelers ate his lunch again.

Now what's the plan for a #2 QB? Or heck why should I even think there is a plan. Poles is probably happy to go into the season with an undrafted rookie as a backup again.

Best way to ruin a qb room, can't keep them both
I wanted Caleb to at least earn the job. JF would eventually play his way out of it.

Now JF goes into a pure backup role with zero chance of starting.

Bears Also have no "mentor" QB on the roster and FA is slim because we waited too long.
I can only believe that Poles thinks Williams is NFL ready. They have to think they have their Stroud. If Williams goes down or struggles its going to be a sad bitter pill to swallow

Now what's the plan for a #2 QB? Or heck why should I even think there is a plan. Poles is probably happy to go into the season with an undrafted rookie as a backup again.

I wanted Caleb to at least earn the job. JF would eventually play his way out of it.

Bears Also have no "mentor" QB on the roster and FA is slim because we waited too long.
I can only believe that Poles thinks Williams is NFL ready. They have to think they have their Stroud. If Williams goes down or struggles its going to be a sad bitter pill to swallow
Poles best quality is that the Panthers owner is an idiot.

I worry it's going to take some time to coach hero ball out of Williams and Lincoln Riley's offense isn't a pro system. It's primarily a one read WR option system.

But it is what it is. Bandaid is ripped off. Poles sinks or swims on this draft.

Very glad it's over. I do wish we had a better backup than Brett Rypien/Bagent in case Caleb needs to sit at first.

I still think it's amazing that so many fans thought we should pass on the first pick in the draft two straight years for Fields with all his obvious flaws. And the league has made it clear this fan base overrated him big time. He's in a great situation now. Wilson might be toast and the Steelers are always competitive. Sure I would have liked a better pick but it is what it is. I'm ready to move on.

Well, I hope Fields has luck with a real franchise. Hopefully Poles knows what he is doing. I have had the impression that Williams isn’t mentally tough enough, but hopefully I am wrong. Feels like a good chance Eberflus gets fired next year and it starts all over again. I really hope not.

Very glad it's over. I do wish we had a better backup than Brett Rypien/Bagent in case Caleb needs to sit at first.

I still think it's amazing that so many fans thought we should pass on the first pick in the draft two straight years for Fields with all his obvious flaws. And the league has made it clear this fan base overrated him big time. He's in a great situation now. Wilson might be toast and the Steelers are always competitive. Sure I would have liked a better pick but it is what it is. I'm ready to move on.
Same

From on of the Bears reporters:

Some context to add here from my reporting: In addition to Pittsburgh, there were 5 teams that reached out to the Bears to gauge their interest on a Fields trade, but the majority of those teams envisioned Fields as a backup. Chicago wanted to use the parameters of the Sam Darnold trade (2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th) for compensation but had to shift towards a different return after that didn't get yield a deal from inquiring teams.

Well, I hope Fields has luck with a real franchise. Hopefully Poles knows what he is doing. I have had the impression that Williams isn’t mentally tough enough, but hopefully I am wrong. Feels like a good chance Eberflus gets fired next year and it starts all over again. I really hope not.
You are wrong. Kid has been tough since his OU days.

You are wrong. Kid has been tough since his OU days.
Time will tell

It isn't the 90's anymore. It doesn't work that way for top picks.

Probably why all the top picks lately aren't working out.

Yeah if you look at quarterbacks drafted in the top 3 and given the keys immediately, it's been pretty bleak for the last 20 years.

Stroud looks good. And expanding past the top three picks, Allen and Herbert are good.

Then again, the QBs dominating the MVP conversation the last few years all had to earn their job.

Burrow, Lawrence, Goff etc. The same as it has always been.

Yeah if you look at quarterbacks drafted in the top 3 and given the keys immediately, it's been pretty bleak for the last 20 years.

Stroud looks good. And expanding past the top three picks, Allen and Herbert are good.

Then again, the QBs dominating the MVP conversation the last few years all had to earn their job.
I guess Allen technically earned his job, but he wasn't a week 1 starter. Peterman was his only competition, which was doomed from the start.

I also think highly of Herbert, but he's got a lot to prove still. He has a losing record and no playoff wins.

Goff didn't start week 1. He started 7 games as a rookie and went 0-7.

Burrow is one of the few that worked out well. He was also 24 when he started in the NFL.

I'd say the jury is still out on Lawrence who has a losing record as a starter.

Last edited:
Bears have 2 bonafide WRs, an OL that's improving over the past year and still being built. A defense that's improving. Soon to be the top QB in the draft walking into this. My view is that they may finally be doing things the right way.

Burrow is one of the few that worked out well. He was also 24 when he started in the NFL.

If you start year 1 it counts. Lawrence has been very good. The jury isn't out on him. When you are picked in the top 5 as a qb you usually have a losing record for the first few years because your team stinks.

You are trying to the twist the numbers to fit your argument. Just because Goff sucked as a rookie doesn't mean it didn't work out. Peyton Manning didn't work because he stunk his rookie year as well.

If you start year 1 it counts. Lawrence has been very good. The jury isn't out on him. When you are picked in the top 5 as a qb you usually have a losing record for the first few years because your team stinks.
Trevor Lawrence has not been very good. He was showing signs of being very good in 2022 but regressed last year.

Bears have 2 bonafide WRs, an OL that's improving over the past year and still being built. A defense that's improving. Soon to be the top QB in the draft walking into this. My view is that they may finally be doing things the right way.
They've done the right thing here. Yes, you wish you get more than a 6th for Fields. Maybe eventually the will if he wins the job in Pittsburgh or takes over? But, they couldn't have kept him unless they were keeping him as the starter.

Trevor Lawrence has not been very good. He was showing signs of being very good in 2022 but regressed last year.

He played injured the second half of the year. He was really good the first half.

That's fair on the record part, but we're also holding JFs record against him when that 2022 Bears roster was gutted and probably the least talented roster the NFL has seen in years.

Lawrence has been very average so far. The post comparing his stats to Mac Jones was pretty eye opening. They aren't that far off.

You are trying to the twist the numbers to fit your argument. Just because Goff sucked as a rookie doesn't mean it didn't work out. Peyton Manning didn't work because he stunk his rookie year as well.
I think Peyton Manning is the only first overall pick to start his rookie season and win a championship.

I think Peyton Manning is the only first overall pick to start his rookie season and win a championship.

That is a a trivia question, not a stat to measure success. Matt Stafford also.

The only success I care about it a championship.

I'll give Stafford a half point. He's a very good QB who was traded to a championship team.

I'll give Stafford a half point. He's a very good QB who was traded to a championship team.

Lol, you are going to be disappointed a lot. Your standards and way of "doing business" isn't how the NFL does it.

Also Eli Manning and I believe Troy Aikman, but they only get partial credit since the Chargers drafted Eli and Aikman had a good team because of the Herschel Walker deal.

Lol, you are going to be disappointed a lot. Your standards and way of "doing business" isn't how the NFL does it.
I think it was the whole point behind trading JF and going Caleb. He puts the Bears in a better spot to win multiple championships.

JF with MHjr and some additional draft capital on the current roster make the playoffs and might even make several deep playoff runs in the coming years.

He played injured the second half of the year. He was really good the first half.
Everyone plays injured at some point and plenty of "reasons" can be given for his regression and they'd all be true. His pre snap reads are not always good, he leads the league in turnovers since he was drafted, and he's inconsistent . He still can be very good but so far he hasn't been. Better than many but he's not in the top 10.

Also Eli Manning and I believe Troy Aikman, but they only get partial credit since the Chargers drafted Eli and Aikman had a good team because of the Herschel Walker deal.
Eli credited NOT starting his rookie season as a major part of his development. Kurt Warner started the first 10 or so games of his rookie season.

Aikman makes the cut. I forgot about him.

Whoa now. These are some crazy high expectations for a franchise that hasn't even won a playoff game in over 10 years. Let's just make the playoffs first.

Everyone plays injured at some point and plenty of "reasons" can be given for his regression and they'd all be true. His pre snap reads are not always good, he leads the league in turnovers since he was drafted, and he's inconsistent . He still can be very good but so far he hasn't been. Better than many but he's not in the top 10.

And everyone that plays injured plays worse. Can't hide a qb like other spots.

Whoa now. These are some crazy high expectations for a franchise that hasn't even won a playoff game in over 10 years. Let's just make the playoffs first.
I was pretty confident the roster as is with JF and two elite prospects makes the playoffs next year.

That shouldn't be the same goal for Caleb. But considering he is a rookie, it will be a win if the Bears win 9 games.

If Caleb's time comes and goes with Chicago and the Bears don't win anything, I don't think I call that a success.

And every QB plays with injuries of some level.

And they play worse. He has been good most of the time except his rookie year. I don't hold any rookie year against a qb, especially with Meyer and that crap show. He has been mostly good since then.

INB4 DJ Moore throws a fit and asks to be traded because he is upset over Fields getting traded. Given what divas WRs are these days, I almost expect it.

I was pretty confident the roster as is with JF and two elite prospects makes the playoffs next year.

That shouldn't be the same goal for Caleb. But considering he is a rookie, it will be a win if the Bears win 9 games.

If Caleb's time comes and goes with Chicago and the Bears don't win anything, I don't think I call that a success.

You are all over the map. First you want them competing, then you want Caleb to just win the job and Fields be the backup, then Fields makes the playoffs.

And they play worse. He has been good most of the time except his rookie year. I don't hold any rookie year against a qb, especially with Meyer and that crap show. He has been mostly good since then.
Yes, good/mostly good. Not great, not very good. Around the top 10, just outside it. Still quite possible he lands in the top 10, just outside the top 5.

That's fair. I expect Caleb to do even better with this roster than Fields would. Fields showed very little in the way of success to me.

You are all over the map. First you want them competing, then you want Caleb to just win the job and Fields be the backup, then Fields makes the playoffs.
I don't want Caleb handed the job. I would have liked for him to learn and earn it from JF or whoever they had as a bridge QB.

JF makes the playoffs on a team WITHOUT Caleb because that top pick in theory gets traded for two early picks this year and maybe a player or early pick next year.

So it's really the difference of Caleb & #9 vs JF , MHjr, #9 , second rnd pick, and future first or starter in a trade.

If the only goal is winning playoff games, that second scenario is way safer.

Interesting to read how the Steelers fleeced the Bears again. Fields worth more than a 6th but every beat reporter, scout, pundit, talking head and NFL GM viewed him as nothing more than a backup? Inconsistencies running wild. Only time will tell. Not trying to be a Poles apologist but somewhere between the NFL sands of time it was clear that the Bears were going to take Williams or the fan base was coming w pitch forks, torches and uzis. The market adjusted, the Fields stats were leveraged ignoring the pop warner rosters that contributed to a bum like record. Poles was laughed at for trying to get more value as QB strapped teams went to plan B. Its odd but that Panthers first might come back to burn the organization for years. True - could go the other way. If Poles overplayed or overreacted we better hope there isn’t some rash damage control coming.

I don't want Caleb handed the job. I would have liked for him to learn and earn it from JF or whoever they had as a bridge QB.

JF makes the playoffs on a team WITHOUT Caleb because that top pick in theory gets traded for two early picks this year and maybe a player or early pick next year.

So it's really the difference of Caleb & #9 vs JF , MHjr, #9 , second rnd pick, and future first or starter in a trade.

Over the short-term, I would agree.

1st round picks are drafted to be starters or better, especially top 10 picks. They earned/wom the job with their college performance.

Users who are viewing this thread