What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bryce Brown anything to see here? (2 Viewers)

So this is now three coaching staffs that don't think he has what it takes to be a lead back.
What more evidence do people need?
A lot more.

I don't think we can say Reid did not think he could be a lead back. He just had McCoy. Kelly also had McCoy, but it's also obvious he was not big on Brown but that might have something to do with their past history. I don't think Marrone cared for Spiller or Brown, he wanted more of a grinder at the position.

But even if every coach he's ever had had doubts he could be a lead back that is not evidence to me that he's not capable. Did anyone think CJ Anderson could be a lead back? I'm guessing no, until he showed he was. The league is filled with RB's that teams don't necessarily plan or envision as being a lead back until they get a shot and make it happen.

To me the more accurate way to put this is Bryce Brown's coaches up to this point have not wanted to put their trust in him as the lead back, which is not actually the same thing as believing he does not have what it takes.

Rotoworld:

WGR 550 Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia considers Bryce Brown a "near lock" to make the Bills' roster.
Per Buscaglia, the Bills' top beat writer, Brown is GM Doug Whaley's guy after Whaley shipped a fourth-round pick to the Eagles last draft for Brown. The previous coaching staff wasn't a fan of Brown, as they only used him after both C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson were injured. Brown still appears to be the No. 4 back, and Buscaglia doesn't think he's a "threat for any significant touches."

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Mar 15 - 10:42 AM

"With us, when we made the LeSean McCoy trade, with Fred Jackson and Boobie Dixon and, uh, the fast dude. Brown is it?" Ryan said, smiling. "I'm not gonna learn his name until he holds on to the football.
"And if he does, he'll have a chance to play. But until we feel comfortable with it, he won't."
Almost sounds as if Rex has taken an interest in Brown and is trying to motivate him. May not work, but this doesnt seem as negative as what was first reported. The first reports seemed to say that he just wasn't even included in the conversation
Wow. How do you not get dizzy from all that spinning?

Rotoworld:

Bills RB Bryce Brown has not been at voluntary workouts this offseason due to a family commitment.

Brown wasn't at the veteran minicamp last month and isn't at this week's workouts either. It's going to raise eyebrows, especially with a new coaching regime in town and the selection of Karlos Williams in the draft. Brown will enter training camp on the roster bubble.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter
May 19 - 12:49 PM

Rotoworld:

Bills RBs coach Anthony Lynn conceded Bryce Brown is falling behind.

Brown missed the Bills' April minicamp and this week's workouts for personal reasons. It's trouble for a player on the bubble and meeting a new coaching regime. "I don't know much about him at all," Lynn said of Brown. "I've only met him once. ... Yes, it will set him back. I mean, he's 5-6 weeks behind everyone else. Once he gets here, it's going to be hard to slow down and catch him up."

Source: Buffalo News
May 21 - 8:07 AM

I'm always intrigued by players that were formerly in the conversation as #1 in the nation as a prep, and for whatever reason didn't fulfill that potential in college, but at least flashed.

When given the chance, he had the two consecutive game outburst with PHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have to wait for the Forsett Part II 3 years from now. Unfortunately for Brown, the McCoy deal killed any chance for him playing significant time barring an injury.

Might have to wait for the Forsett Part II 3 years from now. Unfortunately for Brown, the McCoy deal killed any chance for him playing significant time barring an injury.
I'm hoping for a bit of clarity next offseason when he is a UFA. If he doesn't draw some interest or lands somewhere buried behind multiple guys I'll be tempted to cut bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping for a bit of clarity next offseason when he is a UFA. If he doesn't draw some interest or lands somewhere buried behind multiple guys I'll be tempted to cut bait.
Your leaguemates can finally stop laughing at you then.

I don't think you'll have to wait for next offseason.

I know one of the Bills beat writers recently speculated that Dixon was the more likely RB to get the axe. I don't think so. He has experience with the OC and is actually participating in OTA's. Brown is skipping OTA's, I think citing a newborn child. Unless his child has health issues, and I sure hope not, that's not a good reason to skip a few days of OTA's when you have a new staff and are looking at a crowded RB field. That to me indicates a player unhappy with his role and wanting out.

I think he gets released and for his sake he needs to find a coach who likes him at least a little bit as much as Whaley.

Your leaguemates can finally stop laughing at you then.
You might get it some day, guy, when you move beyond the yahoo redraft stage.

I am generally wary of players that multiple coaching staffs give up on.

Reid used him for four games out of necessity (he was great in 2 and awful in 2), Kelly dished him, Marrone didn't use him and Rex Ryan dealt for LeSean McCoy. No offense but the future doesn't look so bright for Brown.

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown - RB - Bills

Bryce Brown reported to Bills OTAs on Tuesday.

Brown had skipped previous "voluntary" workouts following the birth of his child. It's absurd that a player could draw criticism for skipping supposedly voluntary May practices for the birth of his child, but so is life in the modern NFL. The missed sessions definitely didn't help a back who was already in danger of getting waived. Still only 24, Brown boasts big-time upside, but likely won't tap it in Buffalo.

Source: Buffalo News

May 26 - 7:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown - RB - Bills

ESPN’s Mike Rodak doesn’t expect the Bills to keep Bryce Brown.

Brown has been getting second and third-team reps at OTAs. The Bills are only expected to keep four running backs, leaving Brown unlikely to beat out Anthony Dixon and Karlos Williams. Brown could be a preseason trade candidate.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 12 - 6:58 PM

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown - RB - Bills

Bills RB Bryce Brown "just can't seem to shake the fumble problem" in training camp.

Brown has been carrying the football like a loaf of bread throughout his career. In a goal-line drill at Friday's practice, Brown was stuffed five times in six snaps, and fumbled on the other one. Beat reporters have noticed two Brown fumbles in team drills. Brown is not expected to make the Bills' 53-man roster.

Source: WKBW.com

Aug 7 - 3:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown - RB - Bills

Bryce Brown had yet another fumble in Saturday night's Bills scrimmage.

It's Brown's third-seen fumble by reporters in a full-team setting. He finished the night with three carries for 26 yards and a lost fumble, a classic Bryce Brown stat line. "Brown has to find a way to hold onto the football or we can't trust him, said coach Rex Ryan following the scrimmage. "It's as simple as that." The Bills traded a fourth-round pick for Brown last spring.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

Aug 8 - 11:16 PM

Hopefully after he's cut people can quit talking about how talented he is. Guy is a joke.
Oh he's talented, I don't think that's ever been a question. But clearly he can't hold onto the football and isn't trusted by coaches. If he doesn't get it by now, he never will. That's the reason he doesn't play, not his talent (and the fact he's been stuck behind McCoy for a while now)

I've been looking at this thread and twitching my eyeball for 3 years now . If OP or mod could put a colon or a a couple dashes after "Bryce Brown" in the thread title, I'd really appreciate it. :mellow:

Hopefully after he's cut people can quit talking about how talented he is. Guy is a joke.
Oh he's talented, I don't think that's ever been a question. But clearly he can't hold onto the football and isn't trusted by coaches. If he doesn't get it by now, he never will. That's the reason he doesn't play, not his talent (and the fact he's been stuck behind McCoy for a while now)
If you think talented means combine superstar, sure. If you mean a skilled football player, no he sucks at almost everything football related and is one of the most overrated players out there.

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown appears to have fallen behind fifth-round rookie Karlos Williams on the Bills' tailback depth chart.

Brown has continued to fumble away his opportunities -- literally -- on the practice field, while Williams will be a core special teamer for Buffalo. As will be Anthony Dixon. All of them are behind LeSean McCoy and Fred Jackson. Coach Rex Ryan recently called Brown "disappointing, to put it mildly." Brown should be hitting waivers sometime before September begins.

Source: WKBW Buffalo
Aug 10 - 3:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown had six carries for 52 yards and a touchdown in Buffalo's preseason opener.

Brown was the third back through Buffalo's rotation. His training camp fumbles have him in Rex Ryan's doghouse, but Brown managed to outplay rookie Karlos Williams on fewer touches. The Bills could shop Brown for a late-round pick once Fred Jackson (hamstring) and Anthony Dixon (calf) get healthy.

Aug 14 - 11:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Bryce Brown had six carries for 52 yards and a touchdown in Buffalo's preseason opener.

Brown was the third back through Buffalo's rotation. His training camp fumbles have him in Rex Ryan's doghouse, but Brown managed to outplay rookie Karlos Williams on fewer touches. The Bills could shop Brown for a late-round pick once Fred Jackson (hamstring) and Anthony Dixon (calf) get healthy.

Dallas should give them a conditional 6th, 7th, or nada based off production

Rotoworld:

Dallas should give them a conditional 6th, 7th, or nada based off production
I'd trade he (or EJ) for a 2017 5 or 6 that could turn into a 4 (maybe 3 in some really strange scenario where one makes a Pro Bowl).

Brown has a lot of talent. He just needs to undergo a Tiki Barber-like turn around in the fumbling department.

Here we are 2 weeks later and it's looking more and more likely that Brown gets cut... I have to think some other RB needy team would snatch him in a heartbeat.

Dallas has been mentioned and would be an obvious home run. Assume dynasty owners are still holding at this point?

Here we are 2 weeks later and it's looking more and more likely that Brown gets cut... I have to think some other RB needy team would snatch him in a heartbeat.

Dallas has been mentioned and would be an obvious home run. Assume dynasty owners are still holding at this point?
I think Carolina could use him for depth. He offers more than Fozzy (when he can hold onto the ball), and although they have Artis-Payne, I'd be at the point (if I am the Panthers staff), of assuming Stewart will get hurt, not hoping he won't.

I think Carolina could use him for depth. He offers more than Fozzy (when he can hold onto the ball), and although they have Artis-Payne, I'd be at the point (if I am the Panthers staff), of assuming Stewart will get hurt, not hoping he won't.
Brandon Wegher is already pushing Fozzy off the roster in all likelihood. They could certainly look to add from final cuts, but they're much more focused on passing-game options than RBs.

depending on how much Reid like Chacandrick West, wonder if Reid would take a shot on his old buddy...he had Brown playing 3rd down role back in his rookie year because he was stoning people in pass game

We have all SEEN how freakin good this guy can run.

He must REALLY suck at just about everything else when you think of it.

:shrug:

He will be dropped by me when the taste of the week is on the wire.

Prob next Thursday.

Guessing he's locked into Buffalo's roster with the FJax release... not sure that's worth holding, frankly.

Guessing he's locked into Buffalo's roster with the FJax release... not sure that's worth holding, frankly.
not so sure about that.

can they keep 4 RBs plus a FB? Brown doesn't really contribute on special teams so I think he's still firmly on the roster bubble for them.

Users who are viewing this thread