What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Hartline....It has been discussed but.... (3 Viewers)

The issue is whether Hartline is better than 1 dart. We're talking about one roster spot.
I don't want anyone on my bench unless they have the upside of a top 7 QB/TE, top 20 WR, top 15 RB, and #1 defense (in those types of leagues). Each one of my leagues is structured differently, but I treat my bench the same in all of them. Building around average players ensures your team will be at best average, you'll be at a disadvantage against the best teams in your league, ones that took more gambles.

The last 2 weeks in must win games and in the first round of playoffs Brian Hartline is sitting at wr 6 having back to back nice games.

Brian Hartline was also drafted as a "dart" type of player as a WR3/4. One of those pieces you did not have to pay a premium for.

Re-visiting this thread. So, instead of Hartline by my dart throwing technique I ended up with Keenan Allen (all 4 leagues), Michael Floyd (two leagues), and Alshon Jeffrey (only one league). Sure, there were several misses, but that doesn't matter when all you need is one or two to hit.

Since week 4 when bye weeks began - Jeffrey 3rd, Allen 11th, Floyd 23rd, Hartline 36th.
Now that's some cherry-picking, right there.
It isn't cherry picking. It's the product of the philosophy. You throw 15...20 darts and expect 1 or 2 to hit. Find those darts then ride them out. Come playoff time the team with those darts is in a better spot than the team relying on a guy like Hartline.
Last 2 week rankings (playoff time):

Hartline = #5 overall WR.
Oooh, now this is a fun game.

Re-visiting this thread. So, instead of Hartline by my dart throwing technique I ended up with Keenan Allen (all 4 leagues), Michael Floyd (two leagues), and Alshon Jeffrey (only one league). Sure, there were several misses, but that doesn't matter when all you need is one or two to hit.

Since week 4 when bye weeks began - Jeffrey 3rd, Allen 11th, Floyd 23rd, Hartline 36th.
It isn't cherry picking. It's the product of the philosophy. You throw 15...20 darts and expect 1 or 2 to hit. Find those darts then ride them out. Come playoff time the team with those darts is in a better spot than the team relying on a guy like Hartline.
Last 2 week rankings (playoff time):

Hartline = #5 overall WR.
Beat me to it :)

The last 2 weeks in must win games and in the first round of playoffs Brian Hartline is sitting at wr 6 having back to back nice games.

Brian Hartline was also drafted as a "dart" type of player as a WR3/4. One of those pieces you did not have to pay a premium for.
The guy who finished last year as a WR3 and is on pace for the exact same thing this year while the teams you're playing in the playoffs have a top 10 WR as their WR3.

What I have been debating with you this whole thread is that you I didn't expect to ride Hartline the whole way. I have been telling you that Hartline is a nice guy to have as a WR3 or a great WR4 while you took your other spots and swung for the fences. I play in leagues with deep rosters (19 or 20 deep) so I like to have one guy that can get me decent points and hold the fort while I look for that Alshon Jeffery or Keenan Allen.

BTW, Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd were drafted in every league that I was in. Floyd was cut in some. Really only Keenan Allen was the prize WW WR. If you got him in many leagues, congrats. I did in my keeper league while using Hartline as a WR3 (when Cobb went down).

Now if you play in shallow leagues, then I agree with your philosophy since you can get a like similar to Hartline anytime on the WW.

BTW, Hartline is on pace for 82/1050/5, which is a very good WR3. I drafted him in Round 16........he's currently WR23 in my 1/2 PPR league. Sorry, but that's value and you were dead wrong about Hartline.

The guy who finished last year as a WR3 and is on pace for the exact same thing this year while the teams you're playing in the playoffs have a top 10 WR as their WR3.
You could still have Jeffery and company as well as Hartline. Teams in the playoffs are there for many reasons, but it would be simple to think there is/was only one way.

You could still have Jeffery and company as well as Hartline. Teams in the playoffs are there for many reasons, but it would be simple to think there is/was only one way.
I littered my benches with guys like Jeffrey, Vereen, Foles, Andre Brown, Julius Thomas, etc. throughout the season - some were drafted, others were picked up off waivers. Having Hartline on the roster takes away from one of those guys.

Wait, how do you know who I'm playing and who their WR3 is? Just to clarify, I'm not sure my oppositions WR3, Kendall Wright, is a top 10 WR.

What I have been debating with you this whole thread is that you I didn't expect to ride Hartline the whole way. I have been telling you that Hartline is a nice guy to have as a WR3 or a great WR4 while you took your other spots and swung for the fences. I play in leagues with deep rosters (19 or 20 deep) so I like to have one guy that can get me decent points and hold the fort while I look for that Alshon Jeffery or Keenan Allen.

BTW, Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd were drafted in every league that I was in. Floyd was cut in some. Really only Keenan Allen was the prize WW WR. If you got him in many leagues, congrats. I did in my keeper league while using Hartline as a WR3 (when Cobb went down).

Now if you play in shallow leagues, then I agree with your philosophy since you can get a like similar to Hartline anytime on the WW.

BTW, Hartline is on pace for 82/1050/5, which is a very good WR3. I drafted him in Round 16........he's currently WR23 in my 1/2 PPR league. Sorry, but that's value and you were dead wrong about Hartline.
Actually, I wasn't. I said he had a ceiling of a guy that could get to 1K yards and 5 or 6 TD's. I also said I didn't want that sort of upside on my bench. It isn't enough.

Wait, how do you know who I'm playing and who their WR3 is? Just to clarify, I'm not sure my oppositions WR3, Kendall Wright, is a top 10 WR.
Every league is different. Sure, there could be a team that slipped into the playoffs whose roster isn't as strong or they got killed by injuries late in the year, but you're putting yourself in a spot to be taken to the cleaners by a team with a loaded roster.

Even with my Floyd, Jeffrey, Allen team that broke the previous playoff record in scoring I got smoked by team Denver and am now out of the playoffs. If I had been on the other side of the bracket I'd have advanced and would be in a very good spot in the finals vs. team Denver right now, but that's how the cards fall sometimes. All you can do is put yourself in the best spot to win and I think throwing darts on high upside plays is the best way to do that. Build your core then roll the dice, eventually by the end of November, injuries withstanding, usually have a very strong team.

I littered my benches with guys like Jeffrey, Vereen, Foles, Andre Brown, Julius Thomas, etc. throughout the season - some were drafted, others were picked up off waivers. Having Hartline on the roster takes away from one of those guys.
I guess it's simple, then - draft all the lotto tickets you know will hit. Then, yes, there is no reason to draft a Hartline. I'm not that good, so I'll have to settle for a chump WR like Hartline, who is only #22 overall.

MAC_32 said:
fightingillini said:
MAC_32 said:
jabarony said:
MAC_32 said:

Actually, I wasn't. I said he had a ceiling of a guy that could get to 1K yards and 5 or 6 TD's. I also said I didn't want that sort of upside on my bench. It isn't enough.
I hear what you are saying, MAC, and I think both sides of the argument here have valid points of view, with neither being wrong - just different strategies. However, I dont think 5 or 6 TDs is Hartline's "ceiling". I think with better OL play, and QB play, that ceiling will rise. Hartline is a very good WR. Has solid speed, great hands, runs great routes, and has great rapport with his QB.

I am speaking from a dynasty perspective when I say his ceiling is higher, which may not be where you are speaking from.

jabarony said:
MAC_32 said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
MAC_32 said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:

I guess it's simple, then - draft all the lotto tickets you know will hit. Then, yes, there is no reason to draft a Hartline. I'm not that good, so I'll have to settle for a chump WR like Hartline, who is only #22 overall.
Again, I had a ton of misses. It comes with the territory. In the end, all you need is to be right about one or two of them. You don't need to be right about everyone, you just need to be right about someone.

However, I dont think 5 or 6 TDs is Hartline's "ceiling". I think with better OL play, and QB play, that ceiling will rise. Hartline is a very good WR. Has solid speed, great hands, runs great routes, and has great rapport with his QB. I am speaking from a dynasty perspective when I say his ceiling is higher, which may not be where you are speaking from.
I think he is the type that needs 90-100 receptions to have value. Miami is one of the heaviest passing offenses in the league and he's going to fall short of that mark in what his defenders are calling a good year. I don't see the TD upside even in a better environment, how's that enviornment going to change in Miami where he just signed on for 5 years anyway? He's not going to out jump you or outrun you. When he does score it is because of his routes, setting up his defender to make a mistake. The problem is that doesn't happen very often. It's always a possibility he has that odd year in which the perfect storm happens allowing him to score 7 or 8 times, it just isn't all that likely. Kevin Walter 2008 immediately comes to mind. It can happen, but what's the likelihood? 1...2%? There are many other technician WR's like Walter that don't do fall ### backwards into 8 TD's.

I get the argument the Hartline supporters are making, I just don't think it's a good one. He's comfortable...he's safe...he's not going to make you mad...but he's not going to be the difference between winning and losing and I don't know about you guys but I would rather finish 10th shooting for 1st then settle for 4th and hope to get lucky with an average team in the playoffs.

MAC_32 said:
jabarony said:
MAC_32 said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:

Every league is different. Sure, there could be a team that slipped into the playoffs whose roster isn't as strong or they got killed by injuries late in the year, but you're putting yourself in a spot to be taken to the cleaners by a team with a loaded roster.

Even with my Floyd, Jeffrey, Allen team that broke the previous playoff record in scoring I got smoked by team Denver and am now out of the playoffs. If I had been on the other side of the bracket I'd have advanced and would be in a very good spot in the finals vs. team Denver right now, but that's how the cards fall sometimes. All you can do is put yourself in the best spot to win and I think throwing darts on high upside plays is the best way to do that. Build your core then roll the dice, eventually by the end of November, injuries withstanding, usually have a very strong team.
The starting WRs for the 4 remaining playoff teams in my main league are:

Team 1 - Marshall, A Brown, V Jackson

Team 2 - Cruz, Amendola, S Smith (team carried by J Graham, Charles and Foles , got lucky in Round 1)

Team 3 (me) - D Thomas, A Johnson, Cooper (have Hartline on the bench)

Team 4 - Fitzgerald, T Smith, Edelman (usually starts Welker)

Say I had to start Hartline and didn't have Cooper. Would I really be at a big disadvantage starting Hartline? Not really. In fact, Team 2 would love to have Hartline right now. His WRs are terrible.

In start 3 WR leagues, you would love to have 3 top 10 WRs, but it's pretty unrealistic. Team 1 is great shape at WR but he drafted all 3 of those guys in rounds 3-5.

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:
The issue is whether Hartline is better than 1 dart. We're talking about one roster spot.
I don't want anyone on my bench unless they have the upside of a top 7 QB/TE, top 20 WR, top 15 RB, and #1 defense (in those types of leagues). Each one of my leagues is structured differently, but I treat my bench the same in all of them. Building around average players ensures your team will be at best average, you'll be at a disadvantage against the best teams in your league, ones that took more gambles.
Great, that's your prerogative.

Just stop comparing Hartline to 15-20 darts. Obviously anyone in their right mind would rather have 15-20 darts than one WR3.

The point is, that WR3 is going to outscore *ONE* dart most of the time.

The other point is, there's room on a team for one Hartline and a few darts.

Again, I had a ton of misses. It comes with the territory. In the end, all you need is to be right about one or two of them. You don't need to be right about everyone, you just need to be right about someone.
Again with the false choice. It's not a) Hartline or b) the field.

However, I dont think 5 or 6 TDs is Hartline's "ceiling". I think with better OL play, and QB play, that ceiling will rise. Hartline is a very good WR. Has solid speed, great hands, runs great routes, and has great rapport with his QB. I am speaking from a dynasty perspective when I say his ceiling is higher, which may not be where you are speaking from.
I think he is the type that needs 90-100 receptions to have value. Miami is one of the heaviest passing offenses in the league and he's going to fall short of that mark in what his defenders are calling a good year. I don't see the TD upside even in a better environment, how's that enviornment going to change in Miami where he just signed on for 5 years anyway? He's not going to out jump you or outrun you. When he does score it is because of his routes, setting up his defender to make a mistake. The problem is that doesn't happen very often. It's always a possibility he has that odd year in which the perfect storm happens allowing him to score 7 or 8 times, it just isn't all that likely. Kevin Walter 2008 immediately comes to mind. It can happen, but what's the likelihood? 1...2%? There are many other technician WR's like Walter that don't do fall ### backwards into 8 TD's.

I get the argument the Hartline supporters are making, I just don't think it's a good one. He's comfortable...he's safe...he's not going to make you mad...but he's not going to be the difference between winning and losing and I don't know about you guys but I would rather finish 10th shooting for 1st then settle for 4th and hope to get lucky with an average team in the playoffs.
I hear you. I will point out though that he ran a much faster 40 than Keenan Allen did. He also outran Brandon Marshall in a footrace while the 2 were in Miami (granted, a big size difference). Marshall called him "White Lightning". He is Caucasian, but he is still fast.

What can change...

His QB is still raw (getting better), and his OL is horrid. Both of those things can change. If they do, it is very conceivable that Hartline's ceiling rises with that tide. He has the physical tools.

In start 3 WR leagues, you would love to have 3 top 10 WRs, but it's pretty unrealistic.
No it's not. I'm not a Gordon owner anywhere, but that team has a huge advantage over you if their 1-2 are still intact as he was drafted to be that team's 3 or more likely 4. Plus the two I already mentioned, Jeffrey and Allen. Teams that didn't miss with their early WR's and got one or more of them late have a huge advantage over the team starting Hartline.

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:

Just stop comparing Hartline to 15-20 darts. Obviously anyone in their right mind would rather have 15-20 darts than one WR3.

You don't have 15-20 darts on your roster at the same time. You rotate them, burn and churn, until you find the right one.

What do you guys use your bench for?

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:

You don't have 15-20 darts on your roster at the same time. You rotate them, burn and churn, until you find the right one.

What do you guys use your bench for?
Couple safe guys I can comfortably start if needed, and some lottery tickets. Both are important, no?

Couple safe guys I can comfortably start if needed, and some lottery tickets. Both are important, no?
To everyone else in this thread? Yes.

To me? No.

Set your lineup in August then throw darts. When you decide the darts miss look for another one. Repeat until your bench is perfect. It never is, so this practice gets repeated until about week 12. It's a lot easier looking at your roster at the end of September, seeing Keenan Allen just put up a 7/51 game and saying, I'm going to axe Kenbrell Thompkins who is seeing less and less snaps each week and see if this is the start of something for Allen than looking at Hartline and saying the same thing.

The guys in my league that were drafted after Hartline, or went undrafted, and have outscored Hartline are:

Keenan Allen (120.2 to 109.5)

Riley Cooper (117.2)

Julian Edelman (110.6)

Jerricho Cotchery (110.1)

So "throwing darts" nets you about 10 points, if you pick the best available "dart". About 7 points if you pick the next best. And essentially nothing after that.

No need to list the dozens of "darts" that fell short of Hartline's numbers... including several that were higher picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC_32 said:
davearm said:
In 2012, the WR that finished WR20 in my 1/2 PPR league.....Steve Smith. Smith had 73/1174/4 for 170.5 points

In 2011, WR20 was Dez Bryant - 63/928/9 for 169.5 points

In 2010 , WR20 was Wes Welker - 86/848/7 for 164 points

Currently Hartline has 67/853/4 for 139.5 points. Torrey Smith is WR20 right now at 147.5 points.

If 82/1050/5 isn't enough upside, the your upside expectation is more like a top 15 WR. And that standard is pretty high. Only 3 WRs that were pure WW pickups have done it in the past 5 years......Allen this year, Cruz in 2011, and Austin in 2009.

We'll agree to disagree.

The guys in my league that were drafted after Hartline, or went undrafted, and have outscored Hartline are:

Riley Cooper (117.2)

Julian Edelman (110.6)

So "throwing darts" nets you about 10 points, if you pick the best available "dart". About 7 points if you pick the next best. And essentially nothing after that.

No need to list the dozens of "darts" that fell short of Hartline's numbers... including several that were higher picks.
The problem with this analysis is you started it week 1. You're not starting these guys week 1 unless you botched your draft or have a bad dynasty team. You're not starting these guys until the bye weeks and injuries start to hit or some guys you drafted early didn't pan out.

Cotchery is actually a great example to cite for my case. If I missed on all of my darts and waivers was a waste land midseason I could pick up Big Ben's favorite red zone target and go from there. While I'm burning and churning you're just sitting on Hartline. My end product = the one you've been sitting on all year, but I took high reward gambles earlier in the season for spots on my roster that didn't impact my short term production.

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:
In 2012, the WR that finished WR20 in my 1/2 PPR league.....Steve Smith. Smith had 73/1174/4 for 170.5 points

Currently Hartline has 67/853/4 for 139.5 points. Torrey Smith is WR20 right now at 147.5 points.

If 82/1050/5 isn't enough upside, the your upside expectation is more like a top 15 WR. And that standard is pretty high. Only 3 WRs that were pure WW pickups have done it in the past 5 years......Allen this year, Cruz in 2011, and Austin in 2009.

We'll agree to disagree.
All guys I picked up in-season utilizing this strategy.

If Rodgers doesn’t play, am seriously considering Hartline over Jordy Nelson this week. Talk me off the ledge guys….

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:

We'll agree to disagree.
If that's the case, then let me ask you......did you pick up all three of Allen, Cruz, and Austin early on speculation, or did you pick them up after they had a really good game? If it's the latter, then how were you able to acquire all of the them? Many leagues have a waiver priority and if you don't have the priority, you won't get them. Or do you have a bidding system for free agents?

MAC_32 said:
davearm said:

We'll agree to disagree.
If that's the case, then let me ask you......did you pick up all three of Allen, Cruz, and Austin early on speculation, or did you pick them up after they had a really good game? If it's the latter, then how were you able to acquire all of the them? Many leagues have a waiver priority and if you don't have the priority, you won't get them. Or do you have a bidding system for free agents?
A mix of before they blew up, FAAB bidding, and waiver priority. I'm a little less aggressive with acquiring players early in my FAAB leagues because I've noticed my competition seems to spend their $ in two waves - first one is week 1 and week 2 and the second one is right before the playoffs. I usually don't win players that blow up the first couple of weeks, but I usually get the ones in October because the others are trying to be careful with their spending saving it for late and don't want to go all in with what they have left. Then they have too much at the end of the year so they're spending 30% of their budget on Kirk Cousins and 10% on the Colts defense rather than using those funds earlier in the season.

I got Allen after his 7/51 game, but before he really blew up, in all of my leagues. I was a mix bag on Cruz and Austin. Had each early in at least one league, had to bid in others, got waiver priority in others. Same story with DX last year. One thing with waiver priority, it allows you to be a little less aggressive as long as you have it. Gun shy to drop someone just yet for a guy you think may blow up? It's fine, if he does you have priority next week anyway.

Riley Cooper (117.2)

Julian Edelman (110.6)

The problem with this analysis is you started it week 1. You're not starting these guys week 1 unless you botched your draft or have a bad dynasty team. You're not starting these guys until the bye weeks and injuries start to hit or some guys you drafted early didn't pan out.

Cotchery is actually a great example to cite for my case. If I missed on all of my darts and waivers was a waste land midseason I could pick up Big Ben's favorite red zone target and go from there. While I'm burning and churning you're just sitting on Hartline. My end product = the one you've been sitting on all year, but I took high reward gambles earlier in the season for spots on my roster that didn't impact my short term production.
You are kind of assuming here that nobody else in your league will also go after Cotchery, so you can just have him there waiting for you as a safety net. Only way to have that safety net is to have him on your bench waiting for you to actually need him. He is on a bench in my league - has been for a while.

Every league is different, with different levels of competition, different roster sizes, and different numbers of teams. Perhaps in your format this strategy works. In my format, all of your "darts" were on rosters. We are 12 teams, 24 spots, fairly good competition, and probably what makes the biggest difference...Dynasty. Darts are tough to come by in this format. Hartline is a very solid player to hang onto in my format, simply because there are not enough players that are worth the risk to drop him available.

Because of AP's injury this week, I need to move Spiller from flex into my RB spot. Have to move Hartline into my flex spot as a result, and don't feel too badly about it, as he has been performing at a pretty high level lately.

ETA - In redraft, 18 or less roster spots, I tend to agree with you that Hartline is on the fringe of rosterable. Depends upon your strategy...safe, or risky. Also may depend on the rest of your roster. Ironically, in my league like this, he was just picked up for a playoff game off waivers by someone with injury issues...but he was on waivers to your point.

Riley Cooper (117.2)

Julian Edelman (110.6)

You are kind of assuming here that nobody else in your league will also go after Cotchery, so you can just have him there waiting for you as a safety net. Only way to have that safety net is to have him on your bench waiting for you to actually need him. He is on a bench in my league - has been for a while.

Every league is different, with different levels of competition, different roster sizes, and different numbers of teams. Perhaps in your format this strategy works. In my format, all of your "darts" were on rosters. We are 12 teams, 24 spots, fairly good competition, and probably what makes the biggest difference...Dynasty. Darts are tough to come by in this format. Hartline is a very solid player to hang onto in my format, simply because there are not enough players that are worth the risk to drop him available.

Because of AP's injury this week, I need to move Spiller from flex into my RB spot. Have to move Hartline into my flex spot as a result, and don't feel too badly about it, as he has been performing at a pretty high level lately.

ETA - In redraft, 18 or less roster spots, I tend to agree with you that Hartline is on the fringe of rosterable. Depends upon your strategy...safe, or risky. Also may depend on the rest of your roster. Ironically, in my league like this, he was just picked up for a playoff game off waivers by someone with injury issues...but he was on waivers to your point.
There's always someone like Cotchery sitting out there. I don't know when he finally got picked up in my dynasty leagues, but he was still out there will into October and I think even November. One is 34 deep + a 7 man taxi and the other is 45 deep.

Riley Cooper (117.2)

Julian Edelman (110.6)

There's always someone like Cotchery sitting out there. I don't know when he finally got picked up in my dynasty leagues, but he was still out there will into October and I think even November. One is 34 deep + a 7 man taxi and the other is 45 deep.
With rosters that deep, it is surprising to me that there is "always" someone on the waiver wires that is capable of coming in and putting up WR1/2 numbers. Kind of defies logic. It is also surprising that you don't feel that Hartline warrants a spot on a roster with 41-45 available spots.

I feel you on your thoughts regarding Hartline assuming a 17 or 18 man redraft roster...but with 40+ spots you don't feel he is worthy of one of them? Now you've lost me.

With rosters that deep, it is surprising to me that there is "always" someone on the waiver wires that is capable of coming in and putting up WR1/2 numbers. Kind of defies logic. It is also surprising that you don't feel that Hartline warrants a spot on a roster with 41-45 available spots.

I feel you on your thoughts regarding Hartline assuming a 17 or 18 man redraft roster...but with 40+ spots you don't feel he is worthy of one of them? Now you've lost me.
Given how I build my teams he doesn't really fit. Also should note it's IDP, so it's more like the 24 man roster you referenced as far as an offensive perspective. Although I usually roster closer to 30 offensive players on each team. I have some depth, but I fill the last third of my roster with kids. Guys that are more likely to amount to nothing than a future star, but have that sort of physical upside. There's obviously some risk in only carrying five legitimate starters, but that's usually what I try t do. If I build an excess then I try to work a trade.

Whether I'm competing or selling I've never been in a position in which a guy like Hartline makes sense. If I'm on a contender that gets decimated by injuries at wide receiver I may try to get him as a short term stopgap, but that's the only scenario I can think of.

@Pat_Thorman @FFJeffM I'd expect him to take a step back this year. Seems they're going to run it more. But yes, no respect
Jeff Miller ‏@FFJeffM

@MikeClayNFL @Pat_Thorman I'm banking that a better o-line and improvement from Tannehill will offset the potential for reduced opportunity.
Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL

@FFJeffM @Pat_Thorman So more efficiency but less volume? I think the latter will be a bigger detriment than the former a boost.
Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL

@FFJeffM @Pat_Thorman Of course, the guy can't seem to score TDs. Regression there helps the cause quite a bit.

Rotoworld:

The Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson speculates WR Jarvis Landry may have been drafted as WR Brian Hartline's eventual replacement.
The Dolphins are projected to be in cap trouble after the 2014 season and could save $3.15 million in 2015 by parting with steady-but-unspectacular Hartline. Mike Wallace could also be a candidate for release, but he would only save Miami $2.5 million and no one else on the roster offers Wallace's deep-threat skill set. Hartline could put all of this talk to bed with a solid 2014 campaign.

Source: Palm Beach Post

Brian Hartline - WR - Browns
Browns signed WR Brian Hartline to a two-year, $6 million contract.
Hartline comes back home after growing up in Ohio and playing his called ball for the Buckeyes. As the Browns' depth chart currently stands, Hartline looks like the default No. 1 receiver. It's his best possible landing spot from a playtime standpoint, but we don't envision fantasy success. He also drew interest from the Chiefs, Bears, Texans, and Patriots after the Dolphins released him.

Source: Dustin Fox on Twitter
Mar 9 - 7:42 PM

Casting Couch said:
Brian Hartline - WR - Browns
Browns signed WR Brian Hartline to a two-year, $6 million contract.
Hartline comes back home after growing up in Ohio and playing his called ball for the Buckeyes. As the Browns' depth chart currently stands, Hartline looks like the default No. 1 receiver. It's his best possible landing spot from a playtime standpoint, but we don't envision fantasy success. He also drew interest from the Chiefs, Bears, Texans, and Patriots after the Dolphins released him.

Source: Dustin Fox on Twitter
Mar 9 - 7:42 PM
smart move for sure but Hartline is not a #1 WR. they have to address the position in FA or draft.

Rotoworld:

Browns coach Mike Pettine said all WR Brian Hartline does is get open and catch the ball.

Unfortunately for Pettine, Hartline's catches rarely happen in the end zone. He has 12 TD receptions in six seasons in the league and does not possess the playmaking ability the Browns' passing game desperately needs. With Dwayne Bowe manning the opposite side, Andrew Hawkins in the slot and a mess at quarterback, the Browns should lean heavily on their running game this season.

Source: Scott Petrak on Twitter
Jun 6 - 11:55 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi expects Brian Hartline to lead the Browns in receiving this season.

This is an indictment on the Browns passing game, and not a reason to upgrade Hartline. Dwayne Bowe hasn't practiced since August 5, leaving Hartline as Josh McCown's top target. Hartline remains unlikely to come into WR4 value.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
Aug 12 - 4:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Brian Hartline is expected to benefit from the return of Josh McCown.
Hartline has just two catches for 20 yards on eight targets through two weeks. By the sound of it, he didn't exactly enjoy playing with Johnny Manziel. "I like to be where I am supposed to be and Josh likes to throw on time and all that kind of stuff," Hartline said. "Pretty easy chemistry. ... I think Josh has a good feel for going from read to read and really moving the ball around." Hartline is a WR5.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Sep 25 - 9:12 AM

Any value this week in PPR leagues this week? Going up against Baltimore defense and both Hawkins and Gabriel out. Anyone else considering rolling with him?

Browns released WR Brian Hartline.
It's a surprise in that the Browns have zero receiver depth and Hartline was easily their best holdover, but entirely unsurprising in the context of their commitment to tanking the 2016 season. The Browns are playing for the future, and 29-year-old Hartline wasn't going to be a part of it. New coach Hue Jackson now has even more snaps to divvy up amongst his four rookie wideouts. Hartline should draw plenty of interest as a No. 3/4 receiver that can help move the chains.

Related: Browns

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter
May 23 - 1:10 PM

Users who are viewing this thread